Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 161941 times)

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
All things Battlestar Galactica
« on: May 01, 2009, 09:26:59 PM »
Warning: Spoilers for all Battlestar and Caprica episodes released. If you're just getting into the series, we'll be happy to answer your questions, but be careful what you read.

While we were gone...

Caprica was released. Who's seen that, and what did you think?

The season 4.5 DVD and the complete series DVD and Blu-Ray collections were announced. The 4.5 DVDs will include extended cuts of 3 episodes: A Disquiet Follows My Soul, Islanded in a Stream of Stars, and Daybreak. Looking forward to those, particularly the last two.
https://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Battlestar-Galactica-Press-Release/11751

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 10:06:18 PM »
Best show in history.

Bought caprica, haven't seen it yet, but it doesn't actually look very good. I hope I'm wrong.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 11:22:53 PM »
Bear McCreary hopes to release a two CD season four soundtrack. One CD will be highlights of "He That Believeth in Me" to "Islanded in a Stream of Stars." Disc four will be just Daybreak. The music in Daybreak was such an astounding leap in terms of composition. I'm glad to see it get a whole CD's worth of time to shine.

Also, other people can bitch about the finale all they want. But I'm liking it more and more as time goes on. The character endings were pretty much exactly as they should have been.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 12:14:50 AM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2009, 02:22:57 AM »
I'm just getting into the series based on it's popularity here.
I got the 2003 three hour miniseries and watched it, I like it but I'm not as super impressed as I thought I would be according to the fuzz I saw for BSG here, I will continue to watch the rest of the show when I get home from work in a couple weeks.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 08:33:44 AM »
This is a show I have to get before my exams finish, although I have a feeling i'm too overhyped for another tv series after watching firefly for the first time in years for it to be that enjoyable  :-\

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:36:53 AM »
I'm not a big fan of the miniseries either. It's good, but not up to par with the rest of the show. I'm glad I started with "33". Definitely soldier ahead.

I got Caprica on DVD, and I'm not entirely sure what to think. There's some interesting stuff, but I can't get excited about it as a whole. I'd definitely give the series a shot when it starts, assuming the world is expanded quite a bit.

SPOILER: It'll be interesting to see how they handle Cylon Zoe without being overly cheesy or melodramatic.

Bear McCreary hopes to release a two CD season four soundtrack. One CD will be highlights of "He That Believeth in Me" to "Islanded in a Stream of Stars." Disc four will be just Daybreak. The music in Daybreak was such an astounding leap in terms of composition. I'm glad to see it get a whole CD's worth of time to shine.
Not really into soundtracks by themselves, but I'll probably check this out. There were definitely some highlights this season: The Hub explosion, the song at the end of Revelations, and the piano piece in Someone To Watch Over Me.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 12:19:42 PM »
I'm just getting into the series based on it's popularity here.
I got the 2003 three hour miniseries and watched it, I like it but I'm not as super impressed as I thought I would be according to the fuzz I saw for BSG here, I will continue to watch the rest of the show when I get home from work in a couple weeks.

I like the Miniseries, but 33 is better. The Miniseries did a lot of things right, but everyone involved with the show was still figuring it out. 33 is when they nailed how to make the show work.

This is a show I have to get before my exams finish, although I have a feeling i'm too overhyped for another tv series after watching firefly for the first time in years for it to be that enjoyable  :-\

People might disagree with me, but BSG is simply a better show than Firefly. I like Firefly a lot too.
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 12:48:03 PM »
SPOILERS

I made the mistake of reading Jacob's Daybreak recap. I like how he calls Baltar's big speech to Cavil stupid, utterly ignoring the fact that it's the defining moment his character has been developing for over four seasons.

Or this:

Cavil squints at him and says, completely out of character except for the nastiness and irony he brings to it, "You don't. You have to make a leap of faith."

I like how he doesn't possibly consider that Ron wrote the line knowing Stockwell would play it that way, because Dean Stockwell is one of the best actors on the show.
Over and over again

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 06:47:38 AM »
I'm confused about the webisodes issue, are they a must-watch to follow the plot? if so in what order and between which seasons should I watch them?
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 09:01:58 AM »
I can't wait to get my hands on the complete series in BR . . . exciting stuff.

I'm also looking forward to the CD.  Bear McCreary is a great up-and-coming composer and I hope he gets his big break (in movies anyway).  Bear's actually doing some work for a game called Dark Void.  Aside from the samples sounding great, he has some great ideas for it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWUz7077hxo

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 11:13:13 AM »
I'm confused about the webisodes issue, are they a must-watch to follow the plot? if so in what order and between which seasons should I watch them?

The Resistance should be watched after "Lay Down Your Burdens Part II." Not essential to the plot, but adds texture to it.

The Face of the Enemy is a MUST after the episode "Revelations." Otherwise, the episodes afterwards won't make sense.

Don't watch either of the Webisodes early, or you'll be massively spoiled on the plot.
Over and over again

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 12:56:24 PM »
Thanks dude

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 04:41:47 PM »
I've avoided reading through this thread because I'm currently only at Episode 4 of Season 4 and I don't want to spoil anything. But holy crap it's going INSANE so far this season!

Season 3 was one of the best things I've ever watched though, and this show generally is incredibly addictive. I'll check back in this thread once I've seen the rest of it :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 06:39:18 PM »
I've avoided reading through this thread because I'm currently only at Episode 4 of Season 4 and I don't want to spoil anything. But holy crap it's going INSANE so far this season!

Season 3 was one of the best things I've ever watched though, and this show generally is incredibly addictive. I'll check back in this thread once I've seen the rest of it :P

First half of season 4 is a bit weird but it pulls itself together at the end.

Second half of season 4 is mostly brilliant. You can feel the intensity of the writing and acting as the show pushes toward its conclusion.
Over and over again

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2009, 08:44:30 PM »
The pilot for Ron Moore and Michael Taylor's Virtuality is airing this Friday on Fox. I'm really curious to see this and it's getting pretty good reviews so far. Too bad it wasn't picked up for more episodes.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »
Been wanting to grab Caprica on dvd, but it is so expensive.

Just out of curiousity how many of us watched the BSG miniseries premiere on SciFi way back when?  I remember being excited about that and thrilled at how well it turned out.  Oddly enough I don't think I watched any other episodes on tv as they premiered as I didn't have a tv for the rest of the show's run.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2009, 11:11:59 PM »

Just out of curiousity how many of us watched the BSG miniseries premiere on SciFi way back when?  I remember being excited about that and thrilled at how well it turned out.  Oddly enough I don't think I watched any other episodes on tv as they premiered as I didn't have a tv for the rest of the show's run.

I didn't watch it when it first came on, but I remember being super stoked after I watched it the first time. I can still remember bugging my dad about how the show didn't have lasers.
Over and over again

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2009, 11:17:32 PM »
Wait, they don't have lasers!!!

:dangerwillrobinson:

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 12:32:19 AM »
Hopefully in Caprica they invent lasers. ...And then dis-invent them?

yorost, I'd wait until they show Caprica on TV. Not worth the price right now, but definitely shows promise.

I watched "33" a couple of days after it first aired in the US because some random blog gave it a really good review. Absolutely loved it, but for some reason I'll never understand, I couldn't get past the first 10 minutes of "Water" even after a couple of tries. Anyway, a couple of years later I kept hearing all the rave reviews and tried again, starting with the miniseries this time. Went through everything to that date in under 2 weeks (in the middle of a semester) and the first episode I caught live was "Taking a Break From All Your Worries."

That was actually a bad time to get caught up, because that and the next few episodes are the infamous season 3 fillers. I got to experience the Starbuck/Maelstrom thing in real time though, so that was fun. The episode itself and getting to see the initial reactions to the end of Crossroads Part 2 online was also really memorable.

So to answer your question, no, I didn't see the Miniseries when it first aired.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 01:12:29 AM »
Season Three was... weird.

I think the genocide plot was just too radical an idea. Or maybe it wasn't well executed. On one hand, it completely makes sense to wipe out your enemy. On the other, what's the point of living. Maybe if they had given the debate any time to play out and mean anything it would have worked better. I still find it weird that Lee not only supported it but was on the execution team. What I did like was how Adama played it at every step, it feels like exactly what his character would have done.

There's something unsatisfying about Eye of Jupiter/Rapture. The Lee/Kara/Anders/Dualla subplot was too overplayed. The end of EOJ is one of the most frustrating things ever. ADAMA'S ABOUT TO NUKE EVERYTHING and we keep going back to relationship drama on the ground. I just don't get it. Plus, we know they're going to get off the ground, but what's the cost? Lots of shit changed on New Caprica before they escaped. We knew they would, but the journey there was intense.

Taking a Break From All Your Worries needed the Lee/Kara/Anders/Dualla plot cut out. The Baltar stuff is really interesting, that's what I care about.

Oddly, Unfinished Business is one of my favorite episodes. It looked like something exciting was going to happen with the Lee/Kara/Anders/Dualla plot. And then it didn't.

The Woman King... Ugh...

I actually like A Day in the Life.

I can't diss Dirty Hands, it's earnest and well-written, but it's impossible to watch it as a story because the statement is so strong. Adama does prove his ability to capture the imagination though by appearing in only one meaningful scene and making it the biggest of the episode. The idea of drafting people to work the Tyllium ship was actually interesting, they should have followed up on that.

It finally kicks into gear again on Maelstrom, which is a strange but good episode.

The trial of Baltar was pretty well done. Lee finally gets some stuff to do, and his Aesop speech at the end was surprisingly well written and acted.

The Cylons thing was a big gamble but it ended up paying off, because it catapulted Saul MF Tigh to even greater heights as a character.
Over and over again

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2009, 06:45:24 AM »

Kevin Smith came to Orlando for a Q&A some years ago and people were asking him what movies he was really digging and whatnot.  After slamming Superman Returns for 10 minutes, the topic moved to TV shows and he couldn't stop praising Battlestar Galactica.  At this point, they were a few episodes into the third season.

I had dismissed BSG because I lumped it in with all the other Sci-Fi shows that looked incredibly stupid.  So there was a time when movies weren't cutting it for me, I worked at Blockbuster, so I brought home the mini-series.  As you can imagine, I was floored.

I proceeded to purchase the first two seasons, waited eagerly to purchase the third, and watched season 4 when it aired.  Now I eagerly await the complete series on BR so I can never leave my house.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 01:29:38 AM »
NECROTHREAAADDDD

Watching the miniseries right now, I have about 50 minutes left. This. Is. Awesome.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 07:28:01 AM »
I just finished watching the entire series again.

SPOILERS

The finale is the worst 2 hours of TV I've ever seen.  Absolutely dreadful.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2009, 07:38:34 AM »

I don't know how you can possibly think this.
Over and over again

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 08:14:22 AM »

I don't know how you can possibly think this.

Well, I don't watch much TV, so there wasn't a ton of stuff opposing it.  But I'll give you a couple reasons.

SPOILERS

1. Deux Ex Machina, the God of poor story writers:  "How can we wrap up all these loose ends?"  "I know, let's just have God do it!" "Yeah, that makes sense!" "God creates another Earth!  The other one was a fake!  How cool is that?" "God creates another race of humans for us to breed into!  Freaking awesome!" "And how sweet would it be if we make like three characters angels from God.  That way we don't need to adequately explain the rationale or physically how each one did stuff!  Because they're angels, so we don't need to have their stories make any coherent sense whatsoever!"

2. Irresponsible proselytizing: "You know what would be cool, and totally responsible?  If we just have this super-advanced race give up all their technology!" "Of course, because that means we can merge them into current humanity's story-line!  Sweet!" "Because, really, all technology is super evil, right?  I mean, living past 20 sucks.  Literacy, medicine, science: sucks, sucks, sucks.  Poetry, music, even television?  Sucks, sucks, (and by the standards of this show) definitely sucks."  "Yeah, and then we'll have this cool ending where all the characters run obliviously into certain death by starvation, as Helo and Sharon prepare to hunt animals that they have no idea how to, and Baltar prepares to farm when no crops have even been domesticated yet." "How do you think they'll survive the next ice age that's about to hit?"  "They won't!"

3. Over-simplification of one of sci-fi's greatest shows: "So, we're going to do this coda 150,000 years later, where we reveal that head-six and head-Baltar are just super-cool angels from God!  We're going to hit all the big points of this series; consumerism is bad, capitalism is bad, materialism is bad.  But most of all, we're going to hammer in the biggest moral: Don't build robots!  I mean, isn't that what this series has been all about since the beginning?  Don't build robots!  There were never any much more deeper or complex themes that we can dump all over, because let's face it, sci-fi can never be intelligent, or non-clichéd."

Those were my three main points, but I could've put literally anything from this episode.  It reeked of throwing story lines together at the last second, because endings to the arcs had never be conceived.  The opera house story line, which had been in the plot since the end of season frakking one, turned out to be: nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  This big plot point which had been built up and had been devoted many hours of screen time and my patience turned out to be Hera just running down a hallway.  Lame.

Cavil committing suicide.  Made no sense.  He was a great villain, and they just threw him away.

The final five Cylons didn't affect anything because Tyrol kills Tory.  I'll give them that, because I hated Tory.

Hera, who was built up way too much, doesn't affect anything.  Not at all.  I would've been happy if they'd just secured a peace with the Cylons by giving her away.  Something, at least.  And seriously, how many goddamn times was she kidnapped? They need a fucking amber alert system in the BSG universe.

END SPOILERS

Anyway, I was just so sad at what BSG became in it's fourth season.  A poorly written, horribly clichéd, stock sci-fi show, when it was before so much more.  R.I.P. Season 1-3.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 09:41:27 AM »
I hate quoting every point and rebutting it, so I'll just say you're wrong. The finale was great, as was the rest of season 4.

SPOILERS
SPOILERS

Oh what the hell:

1. Oversimplifying things. The angels helped guide them, but God didn't do EVERYTHING. From this and your other complaints it seems like you hate any of the mythological elements of the show, and wanted more straight-forward sci-fi. But those elements have always been there, so it's a fault of your expectations, not that the show suddenly changed into something else.

2. This one is hard to buy, but I think their reasoning makes sense. After being trapped inside a metal tube for 4 years, being hunted by their own technological folly, I totally get that they'd be willing to give up technology. Plus, we don't know what they actually gave up, beyond the ships.

3. It's only oversimplified because you're pissed off and want to see it that way. The message of the coda isn't "all this stuff is definitely evil", it's "be fucking careful!"

Cavil suicide: Makes perfect sense for the character. Plus his arc is done, what else are they supposed to do with him?

Final Five didn't do too much in the finale. Except, you know, stop the colony from completely annihilating them, and setting off the chain of events that brings them to Earth. But their back story is essentially that they affected fucking everything!

Everyone on Earth is descended from Hera. That's not affecting anything?

END SPOILERS
END SPOILERS

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 10:21:10 AM »
SPOILERS

1.  Well, yes I do hate the mythological elements of the show.  I always thought of BSG as drama in a sci-fi setting; I didn't want straight-forward sci-fi.  And the mythological elements weren't always there; sure people were religious, and that's fine.  But having God intervene directly in the plot of the series is seriously weak.  Imagine if that happened in The West Wing.  Shit would go down.  And God did do a fair amount; it's implied that it brought Kara back, helped them find the fake Earth, helped them realize the importance of the song/Hera, created a new Earth with a biologically identical human species.  That's a lot of intervention.

2. We know (seeing as how it's implied that they were our direct ancestors 150,000 years ago) that they gave up everything, because otherwise we'd have archaeological evidence otherwise.  And I don't think their reasoning is solid anyways: Lee just decides "a clean slate" is good and erases thousands of years of technological progress.  I don't care how much one might grow to hate technology in the four years you've been chased by robots, but it wouldn't make you want to condemn your generation and all generations past it to starvation, extremely low lifespans, etc.

3. I simplified it a bit, but that's the message.  Ending it with a 3 minute montage of various "sentient" robots is fairly obvious.  Boiling down all the themes of BSG into "be careful with robots" is a smack in the face to the complexities and greatness of the show.

Cavil's suicide did not make sense.  Throughout his entire character, he was shown to be above all else, cunning, resourceful, and dedicated.  I'm not saying he shouldn't have died, but him just killing himself once Resurrection is gone was a complete anti-climax and entirely opposite to his character.  I'm sure he would've wanted to go down taking as many of the humans and Cylons he hates with him.

My anger with the final five is greater than just the final episode.  First of all, the chances of the five all surviving in one group of 50,000 out of 20 billion is astronomical.  I think only Sam should've been  a final fiver; all the others would've died on the Colonies.  Besides, I hated that my main man Saul Tigh became a Cylon.  Also Tyrol.

I think the problem with the final season was how poorly planned the story arcs were.  Ronald D. Moore stated a number of times in interviews that he purposely (throughout the series) never planned to far ahead; and frankly, oftentimes it works.  I think one of the reasons that the aftermaths of the 1st and 2nd season finales were great was that the reactions were panicked and instinctual, with the style of writing something unplanned and sudden mirroring the actions of the characters.  However, that works when it's real-life events like that.  But when you start invoking God and supernatural things to tie-up loose plot points it gets weak pretty fast.  Case in point: Tyrol as a final fiver.  I don't honestly think that the writing team thought too hard about that one, considering it took them until the 11th episode of the fourth season to realize that that would mean his kid was half-Cylon, and all this stuff about Hera being unique was BS.  So they applied a quick patch to the story that didn't make much sense.  Also, they never really harmonized Tigh fighting in the first Cylon War but him arriving as the war ended.  

Ok, now I'll give you my version of how the story should've gone.  Going back to the end of season 3, Kara never "dies."  None of the final five are revealed in the series finale.  In the season 4 opener, Sam is revealed to be one of the five (when the Raider "scans" him), simultaneously saving the fleet as the Cylons refuse to fire because they know at least one of the final five are in the fleet.  Cylon civil-war happens.  Same thing with the Dimitrius happens, except instead of following "visions" Kara and co. are searching for a rebel basestar broadcasting signals for help.  They bring it back to the fleet, crap goes down.  Eventually, they find a spot that aligns with the star patterns way back in E207.  They find Earth, but it's all blown up.  Sam starts to realize he might be a final fiver.  Coup happens; (though I'd have approached Zarek and Gaeta a different way.  I thought Zarek was demonized too much; I thought he and Gaeta had many valid points about Adama reconciling with the Cylons and using their technology).  Adama defeats the coup, barely, executes Zarek and Gaeta.  Sam is shot, realizes he's a Cylon.  Learns basically what happened to the final five (more or less the same history, except the other four die in the Colonies).  Fleet starts to fall apart.  Rebel cylons propose basically a suicide run against the most important Cylon targets: the Resurrection Hub and the Colony.  They destroy the Resurrection Hub.  Battlestar starts to fall apart.  They prepare to take it on its "final mission": attacking the Colony.  They start to succeed; they kill Cavil.  (btw, and some point it would be explored that the Cylon religion was invented by Cavil to prevent the Cylons from empathizing with humanity, and to keep a sense of superiority and divine purpose about them)  Religious remnants accept a peace with the humans if they give them Hera, and Sam gives them back Resurrection.  They make the deal; humanity jumps back to the one planet they know they can go to, Kobol.  They resettle Kobol, and to prevent the cycle of violence from happening again, they leave the broken Battlestar in orbit.  As a museum.  :metal

EDIT: Also, my finale would've been Tigh, Lampkin, and Doc Cottle (three best characters) stealing a spaceship, getting drunk, and having an interstellar adventure.  Would've been awesome.

END SPOILERS

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2009, 11:07:15 AM »
I completely agree with Scurvy, and I have to say the end of BSG was by far my favourite ending to a TV show ever. Left me completely satisfied and amazed at how everything tied up along the same themes they had been using all along.

As Scurv said, you must hate the mythological stuff, in which case I'm surprised you ever enjoyed the show all that much, because it was extremely prevalent right from the first series.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2009, 11:10:58 AM »
I completely agree with Scurvy, and I have to say the end of BSG was by far my favourite ending to a TV show ever. Left me completely satisfied and amazed at how everything tied up along the same themes they had been using all along.

As Scurv said, you must hate the mythological stuff, in which case I'm surprised you ever enjoyed the show all that much, because it was extremely prevalent right from the first series.

Oh c'mon, you can't see the difference between people being religious (which would've been strange had they omitted it, because that's opposite to reality) and God directly intervening in the plot?  To say there were mythological elements even remotely approaching what happened in the 4th season from the start is just false. 

Online Adami

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2009, 11:16:08 AM »
Anywho. Anyone else seen The Plan? What a waste of 2 hours or whatever. It's basically a bunch of scenes from the show mixed in with other scenes shot for the movie. It's good if you want to see more Cavil and really good if you want to see more Simon (black cylon). But beyond that, serves NO purpose at all.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »

Oh c'mon, you can't see the difference between people being religious (which would've been strange had they omitted it, because that's opposite to reality) and God directly intervening in the plot?  To say there were mythological elements even remotely approaching what happened in the 4th season from the start is just false. 
Yes, it was milder at the very start, but that side of the show increased throughout the four series. If it hadn't been there, it would have just been a decent drama in a sci-fi setting. The side of the show that deals with philosophy and religion is what makes it stand out so much, and that was present throughout.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:57 AM »
Anywho. Anyone else seen The Plan? What a waste of 2 hours or whatever. It's basically a bunch of scenes from the show mixed in with other scenes shot for the movie. It's good if you want to see more Cavil and really good if you want to see more Simon (black cylon). But beyond that, serves NO purpose at all.
I haven't seen it, but that's somewhat disappointing. I mean, Razor kind of had that same irrelevance but it was still a nice addition to the series I thought, even though it served no real purpose. Could that still be said about The Plan?

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2009, 12:06:55 PM »
THAR BE SPOILERS HERE

Eh, uh, what? It basically explains why the Cylon genocide of humanity happened, and why Cavil is not only evil, but bitter.
Over and over again

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2009, 01:41:50 PM »
I haven't seen The Plan, but I hope to.  Hearing it was a bunch of clips mixed in with new footage is nothing new, though.  It was just supposed to provide a connection of the entire series and what was actually going on with the Cylons.  I'm disappointed to hear it isn't that good, but I guess I'm not that surprised, either, as it is probably just meant to be fan service.

Online Adami

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2009, 02:05:18 PM »
THAR BE SPOILERS HERE

Eh, uh, what? It basically explains why the Cylon genocide of humanity happened, and why Cavil is not only evil, but bitter.

I should clarify, what I meant was that it served no purpose as a movie. Everything about cavil could have been done in a 30 minute thingy. It spent so much time screwing up the whole "sleeper agent boomer" story and mixing in old clips that it seemed like mostly filler. Yes, the cavil thing was good, but it didn't show us anything new. We knew already why he did what he did, the only thing it showed more so was the meeting between the two cavils and such. But I really liked what they did with the Simon character.
fanticide.bandcamp.com