Author Topic: All things Battlestar Galactica  (Read 165711 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: All things Battlestar Galactica
« Reply #595 on: June 28, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
Close, it's "Shit's going out the airlock"
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #596 on: June 28, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »
I don't beleive you.  Space Mormons don't use such coarse language.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #597 on: June 28, 2012, 05:24:03 PM »
Since they seem to like short, pithy titles, I assume it is simply called "Poop."

Close - Space Poop.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #598 on: June 29, 2012, 08:41:24 AM »
:frak:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #599 on: August 23, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »
Well, almost done with season one.  Hand of God was awesome.  From looking at the episode descriptions, it looks like they're going to go toe-to-toe with a basestar in the season finale.  Since they're the "good guys," I'm sure they'll win.  But Hand of God painted a picture that, even though they won a major battle, the humans' attack forces are so depleted that I almost don't even see how the series can continue if there are any actual "fights" involved.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #600 on: August 23, 2012, 11:09:51 AM »
Without spoiling it, the issue of combat losses and replacements gets addressed in a big way in season 2.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #601 on: August 23, 2012, 11:22:55 AM »
Without spoiling it, the issue of combat losses and replacements gets addressed in a big way in season 2.

Well, it would HAVE TO, unless the writers just buried their heads in the sand and had a never-ending stream of new vipers and pilots appear out of nowhere whenver needed.  :lol

I'm assuming part of the solution is that they run into another battlestar in hiding.  I accidentally stumbled upon that fact somewhere awhile back when I was looking for information about the series and deciding whether to watch it.  That happened in the '80s series as well, so it wasn't a huge spoiler.  It seems pretty random and unlikely given that the Galactica is just out there in unknown space, but I assume it'll be written well enough that it's somewhat believable.  If there's some other solution to the issue as well, that's cool too.

Offline Zeltar

• Have a drink, it'll make me look younger.
« Reply #602 on: August 25, 2012, 11:48:33 AM »
So I just started watching this show on Netflix and I came up with a Gaius Baltar Crying Drinking Game. One shot if he tears up, two if his voice starts getting all high pitched, and a handle pull if tears start falling. Feel free to add, I'm only 6 episodes in so I'm still a noob.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #603 on: August 28, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »
Well, only two episodes to go, and then I'm on to Season 2.  Pretty excited for it, actually.  I plan on picking it up later this week.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #604 on: August 29, 2012, 03:46:54 AM »
Well, only two episodes to go, and then I'm on to Season 2.  Pretty excited for it, actually.  I plan on picking it up later this week.

I had a great time going through all of Battlestar last year. Things slow down slightly in Season 3 and 4, but the ending is definitely worth sticking with it through the ups and downs.

Don't forget about the movie you're supposed to watch between S2 and S3!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #605 on: August 29, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »
Razor? It's actually suppose to be in the second season. Set after episode 17 but before the season finale.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #606 on: August 29, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »
Really?  It comes with the Season 4 box set.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #607 on: August 29, 2012, 10:37:36 AM »
Really?  It comes with the Season 4 box set.
I know. But it still suppose to be there, as a backstory to the Pegasus, though it also sets up a storyline that gets resolved in the 4th season.

Universal requested they do a TV spinoff movie that could be quickly release in DVD and the writers best idea was that.

I mean, you don't have to watch it now, but chronologically it's suppose to happen in the second season.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 10:43:32 AM by Dimitrius »

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #608 on: August 29, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
There's also The Plan which parts of the story from other viewpoints. But I never got around to that.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #609 on: August 29, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
But The Plan can only be view after you finish the series.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #610 on: August 29, 2012, 10:57:56 AM »
But The Plan can only be view after you finish the series.

I will keep that in mind.  *excite*

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #611 on: August 29, 2012, 01:24:02 PM »
Razor should be watched after the third season.  The chronology of the story matters less than the chronology of production.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #612 on: August 29, 2012, 01:46:37 PM »
In the DVD set, it's disk #1 of season 4, so that makes sense.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #613 on: August 29, 2012, 03:01:04 PM »
Razor should be watched after the third season.  The chronology of the story matters less than the chronology of production.

:huh:  Following the chronology of the story places it a couple episodes before the Season 2 finale.  It was originally aired between Season 3 and 4, which is why it is included in the Season 4 set.  I would watch it right after "The Captain's Hand".

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #614 on: August 29, 2012, 03:12:21 PM »
Even though it fits chronologically in season 2 doesn't necessarily mean that's when it should be watched.  For instance, if it contains spoilers of anything in the season 2 finale or in season 3, I wouldn't want to watch it earlier than when it was intended to be watched.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #615 on: August 29, 2012, 03:14:25 PM »
Even though it fits chronologically in season 2 doesn't necessarily mean that's when it should be watched.  For instance, if it contains spoilers of anything in the season 2 finale or in season 3, I wouldn't want to watch it earlier than when it was intended to be watched.
It doesn't. There's a line to something that becomes pertinent on the end 3rd season, gets resolve in the 4th but there's no spoilers or anything about the season 2 finale.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #616 on: August 29, 2012, 07:21:54 PM »
I would still watch it as a bridge between the seasons.  Watching it chronologically does spoil the affect it has following the season finale.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #617 on: August 29, 2012, 07:32:07 PM »
Well, that's the order they are in the box sets, so that's the order I plan on watching them in anyway.  Need to watch the season 1 finale (probably this weekend), and then on to season 2.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #618 on: August 31, 2012, 05:27:09 AM »
I agree with Bosky, it makes most sense to watch them in the order they were aired and made available.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #619 on: August 31, 2012, 01:23:29 PM »
One more S1 episode to go, which will probably be tonight.  :caffeine:  As planned, I picked up 2.0 and 2.5 yesterday on my way back from a client meeting out of town (there is a used music/video shop about halfway that has REALLY good deals on video especially.  I originally picked up S1 for $9.95 there a few months back.  Yeterday, I got 2.0 for $9.95 and 2.5 for $14.95).  Looks like I am set for awhile.  I guess I should probably have just picked up S3 as well while I was there.  Not sure why I didn't.  Oh well.  :number6:

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #620 on: August 31, 2012, 01:49:35 PM »
Make sure you catch the webisodes as they were aired, too.  They're not clearly advertised as to when to watch them on the boxsets.  There was one set leading up to season 3, which is a special somewhere in the boxset.  There was also a set between 4 and 4.5 which is not on the boxsets due to studio heads getting pissy about paying for content not aired on tv (or something).

There were also webisodes related to Razor, but it was just deleted scenes mixed with some that made the final cut.  Skip those or wait until after Razor.  They were kind of odd, in how they did it, and spoilerish for Razor.  It was as if they had extra film and used it for hype, rather than the two mentioned above which were planned out for specific storytelling purposes in relation to the series.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #621 on: August 31, 2012, 02:12:48 PM »
Cool.

There's one thing that's driving me nuts, and please don't give away any spoilers, but I just need to vent.  As of right now, I have figured out three possibilities for the version of Number 6 that haunts Baltar.  Either (1) she is a figment of his imagination, (2) she truly implanted something in him that allows her to project herself into his consciousness, or (3) she is a vision sent to him by the god of the Cylons.  At fist, I only considered the first two possibilities.  Hand of God made me think that #3 is also possible, however.  There may also be other possibilities I haven't thought of, but those 3 seem the most likely.  But here's the thing:  Sometimes she tells him things he probably couldn't know, which seems to rule out her simply being a figment of his borderline psychotic imagination.  But other times, she is dead wrong.  For example, she says the Cylon detector doesn't really do anything.  Clearly it does.  It revealed the first guy that they left on the weapons depo space station.  And it later showed positive for Boomer.  Clearly, it works.  So she is clearly wrong (or is lying to Baltar, but that would make no sense in the context of the Cylon detector).  So I am completely spinning my wheels trying to figure out her deal.  I suspect it is never revealed, and we are meant to keep guessing all the way through the series.  ...which is fine, but is also frustrating, so I just had to vent.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #622 on: August 31, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
It's supposed to bother you. :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #623 on: August 31, 2012, 02:19:32 PM »
I know.  It's pretty genius writing actually that they so prominently feature a plot device that is intentionally designed to unanimously piss off the entire viewership, while also being a primary reason a lot of the viewership tune in in the first place.

Just answer me this:  Do they ever really give you enough by the end of the show to be pretty confident of what she is?

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #624 on: August 31, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »
Yes.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #625 on: August 31, 2012, 03:11:02 PM »
Do they ever really give you enough by the end of the show to be pretty confident of what she is?

Yes.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #626 on: August 31, 2012, 04:02:33 PM »
Yes, although in a way that allows some extent of interpretation.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #627 on: September 01, 2012, 02:15:17 AM »
Yes, in a way that pisses me the fuck off.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #628 on: September 01, 2012, 08:28:58 PM »
After 4 yes answers I think we can all just shut up about it before we start dropping serious hints on bosk1. :lol

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #629 on: September 01, 2012, 10:09:54 PM »
Make sure you catch the webisodes as they were aired, too.  They're not clearly advertised as to when to watch them on the boxsets.  There was one set leading up to season 3, which is a special somewhere in the boxset.  There was also a set between 4 and 4.5 which is not on the boxsets due to studio heads getting pissy about paying for content not aired on tv (or something).

There were also webisodes related to Razor, but it was just deleted scenes mixed with some that made the final cut.  Skip those or wait until after Razor.  They were kind of odd, in how they did it, and spoilerish for Razor.  It was as if they had extra film and used it for hype, rather than the two mentioned above which were planned out for specific storytelling purposes in relation to the series.
If he picks up Razor with the season 4 boxset it includes a version of Razor with those webisodes thrown in.