Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Ultimatum  (Read 200312 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Movie Thread v. Ultimatum
« Reply #210 on: June 24, 2012, 09:20:58 AM »
I am so amazed and appalled at how no one seems to have Catch Me If You Can with Leonardo DiCaprio. Not iTunes, not Comcast cable or On Demand...the only way it seems that I can get it is through Amazon.
I have the dvd if you want it.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »
I am so amazed and appalled at how no one seems to have Catch Me If You Can with Leonardo DiCaprio. Not iTunes, not Comcast cable or On Demand...the only way it seems that I can get it is through Amazon.

I guess you'll have to..........catch it if you can....

Yeaaaaa.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2012, 08:12:38 AM »
Actually knew a lot of those, but I'm a geek about stuff like that.  Pretty good list, though.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2012, 11:42:38 AM »
im surprised they didnt include the story of how they accidentally deleted the entire first toy story from their pixar computer server. they were only able to save it cause one of the pixar people just had a kid and took a copy back to her house to work from home

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
"When She Loved Me" makes me cry, too.  Pretty much every time.  When we're watching it with the kids, I always find some excuse to leave during that song.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »
Seeing The Amazing Spider-Man next Friday (not this one, but next week) and I'm really fuckin' excited.
As much as I love other superhero movies, Spider-Man has always been my "big" hero, I used to collect the magazines and had tons of toys, and I used to watch the '94 Animated Series every Saturday when I was a kid. Good memories.

And this new Spider-Man will be much better than the previous three. I am fuckin' stoked. :caffeine:

Offline masterthes

« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2012, 12:17:41 PM »
Any special reason about number 30?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
Probably just because that one girl on the staff looks pretty hot bald, so they all tried it.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2012, 01:32:25 PM »
So I watched J. Edgar the other night. What a fantastic movie. I have no idea why it has gone largely ignored. It is one of Leo's best roles, and I hate Leo. Seriously, fantastic movie that really needs more recognition.

Also The Muppet's (2011) movie. It was pretty good. I liked Parson's cameo a lot. But I really didn't like the ending.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2012, 06:53:31 PM »
Probably just because that one girl on the staff looks pretty hot bald, so they all tried it.

I thought they just posted a pic of Britney Spears. :lol

Watched Mean Girls for the first time since it came out. Still a good movie and oh my fuck Lindsay Lohan was ridiculously hot. Fuck drugs and alcohol.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2012, 08:00:44 PM »
Watched Coppola's Somewhere. Not a *great* film, but not as bad as any of the critics make it out to be. I definitely loved how little music there was throughout the film, and the times when there was it was usually diegetic (in the world of the film).
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline TL

« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2012, 09:55:50 PM »
Somewhere is definitely a film that's sort of interesting to watch once, but then you'll never really feel the need to watch it again.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »

I thought they just posted a pic of Britney Spears. :lol

I thought it was her at first.  It looks a lot like that one rather well-known pic of her after she shaved her head.  But I don't think it's her.  I could be wrong though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #224 on: June 26, 2012, 04:50:13 AM »
John Carter

I heard it wasn't bad, just poorly marketed.  I also heard that the story, while entertaining, could seem unbelievably dumb at times, but I was curious to see for myself, knowing the the source material is a century old.  These both turned out to be true.

I thought it was a good movie.  It started rather strangely, and asked the viewer to absorb a lot of stuff up front that would make more sense later, and that can be dangerous, but once I was able to sort out what the hell was going on, it was pretty cool.  There was perhaps too much going on in terms of plot for most audiences.  It was sci-fi, and IMO good sci-fi does demand a lot of the viewer, but they threw a lot at you without a lot of explanation or time to absorb it.  The result was something that was not light entertainment, but was delivered as though it were.  I don't think the filmmakers quite knew what they were doing here, as far as how to present the material.

Obligatory comment about Lynn Collins being hot.
All of this.  I really enjoyed it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2012, 12:30:51 PM »
I watched Matrix Reloaded yesterday (first time in like 6 years), and I actually think it's a good movie. Not as good as the first one, but the action-scenes are still great. The highway-scene in particular, but also the scene where Neo fights loads of Mr. Smith.
Revolutions on the other hand is much worse.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2012, 12:38:16 PM »
I feel like that Smith scene just drags on for too long. It's so over the top that it loses all its splendor. It's then that you consciously realize, "Oh. This is just a cartoon where anything can happen. Okay."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »
Yeah maybe, but it's even more over the top in the last fighting scene of Revolutions. :P
Personally, I think it's a bit silly how Neo goes from just being good to being godlike just like that. Yeah sure he is the one, but it's kinda silly when he's fighting off 3 agents with one arm (in the beginning of Reloaded), he should at least have to work for it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2012, 01:36:18 PM »
Yeah maybe, but it's even more over the top in the last fighting scene of Revolutions. :P
Personally, I think it's a bit silly how Neo goes from just being good to being godlike just like that. Yeah sure he is the one, but it's kinda silly when he's fighting off 3 agents with one arm (in the beginning of Reloaded), he should at least have to work for it.

Isn't there a significant timespan between the first and the second movie? He could have gotten that good in that time and it was chosen not to show the process.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2012, 01:38:05 PM »

And that scene is as much worse than the Reloaded scene as it is more over the top.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2012, 01:43:22 PM »

Isn't there a significant timespan between the first and the second movie? He could have gotten that good in that time and it was chosen not to show the process.

Sure, you have a point, but we could also consider the very last scene in The Matrix when Neo "releases" Smith. He just sort of yawns and deflects all the attacks.  :lol

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2012, 01:44:25 PM »
True, I kinda forgot about that one, tbh.  :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »
Sure, you have a point, but we could also consider the very last scene in The Matrix when Neo "releases" Smith. He just sort of yawns and deflects all the attacks.  :lol

But that scene only last a few seconds. And it's the release of the climax of the movie. It's supposed to be winding down by then.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
Yeah true. Still, one of the negative things with the sequel is how overpowered Neo is. Sure, he is "the one" but still.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2012, 01:57:53 PM »
I didn't find it to be silly at all, because of being "the one" he can manipulate the Matrix code basically rendering anything he wants to do possible.

I did find silly when his powers extended beyond the Matrix.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »
I didn't find it to be silly at all, because of being "the one" he can manipulate the Matrix code basically rendering anything he wants to do possible.

You mean when he was able to stop the flying ship or whatever with his hand in the second part? Yeah, that was ridiculous.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »
I feel like it's unfair to criticize for that, but then not to criticize for love bringing Neo back to life at the end.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »
the merovingian's wife greatly improved that second movie

i like the trilogy, not too crazy about the ending but whatevs

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2012, 02:04:18 PM »

You mean when he was able to stop the flying ship or whatever with his hand in the second part? Yeah, that was ridiculous.
Yes, and how he was able to "see" Agent Smith.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2012, 02:04:24 PM »
I feel like it's unfair to criticize for that, but then not to criticize for love bringing Neo back to life at the end.

Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of that scene, either. Actually, 90% of the second and third movie are pretty bad.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #240 on: June 27, 2012, 02:04:49 PM »
Finally saw Submarine last night, absolutely loved it!

Any other fans?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #241 on: June 27, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of that scene, either. Actually, 90% of the second and third movie are pretty bad.

I was referring to the end of the first movie.  :P

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #242 on: June 27, 2012, 02:07:12 PM »
 :facepalm:

It's been too long since I watched these movies. I'll just leave the discussion quietly and in shame.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 27, 2012, 02:07:54 PM »
Finally saw Submarine last night, absolutely loved it!

Any other fans?
I saw it with Tahlia when it was out in the cinema. I really liked it.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #244 on: June 27, 2012, 02:15:29 PM »

The problem with this is that they tried to extend the canonical story of the trilogy into the video games and anime series - of course, almost no one played all the games (certainly not Matrix Online enough to reveal the story), and as a result the movies suffered a ton. I don't know the full details because I pretty much just ignore everything in the series that isn't the first movie and The Animatrix, but I do know bits and pieces.

But basically, Neo was one of the results of the machine's experimentation into creating humans that could interface directly into machine systems, with the eventual goal of making The Matrix unnecessary. However, since Neo was a part of the matrix like everyone else, the systemic anomaly that creates The One ended up making him The One purely out of chance (note that there are other people out there like him, he's not the only person who was created/modified in that way).

Thus, his influence over The Matrix was carried over into the real world due to the modification the machines had made to him.

I was referring to the end of the first movie.  :P

To be fair, it wasn't really 'love' that brought him back.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.