Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Ultimatum  (Read 198221 times)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
The Movie Thread v. Ultimatum
« on: May 31, 2012, 09:23:56 AM »
Old one here: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20548.0

I just watched District 9, Pineapple Express, and I Love You Man. Thought they were all pretty good movies, all for different reasons.

Edit: And someone give me a better trilogy ending movie so I can change the thread title.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: The Movie Thread v. Revolution
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 09:24:25 AM »
FIRST BITCHES

Edit: And someone give me a better trilogy ending movie so I can change the thread title.

The Bourne Ultimatum
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »
So how about them talkies? I think it's just a fad, guys.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 09:26:52 AM »

Return of the Jedi? That counts, right?
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 09:27:06 AM »
FIRST BITCHES

The Bourne Ultimatum

Oddly enough I watched the first two movies recently and plan on watching that this weekend.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Movie Thread v. Ultimatum
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »
herro....  :laugh:

now that I'm here.... if you're gonna see Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows .. don't see the Britt TV series before... it just ruins in for you....  that awesome.....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »
FIRST BITCHES

The Bourne Ultimatum

Oddly enough I watched the first two movies recently and plan on watching that this weekend.
I watched all 3 in the last week or so.  Great action films.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline obscure

• Properly Silly
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:33 AM »
bahahah the new avatar  :lol

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 09:58:37 AM »
I somehow made it 26 years without seeing Vertigo in its entirety, making me feel like a lousy Hitchcock fan. I finally put it on last night, and I found myself fairly disappointed. Fans and critics praised it to such a degree that I suppose my expectations were too high. For a director that tends to make increasingly suspenseful thrillers, I found the pace of Vertigo to be slow as molasses. The majority of the film is our two leads going around San Francisco and not doing a whole lot. I also found the twist to be way too complicated. Perhaps this is a film to revisit from time to time to see how it fairs, but outside of the amazing visual pastiche, I found little to hoot and holler about.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 10:32:57 AM »
Went to see Men in Black 3 last night, it was as funny and fun as the first one imo, a good late 90's kinda blockbuster feel. Much better than MIB2.
There was an actress in the movie called Alice Eve that made a dent in my space pants continuum. She appeared on Conan earlier this week and she reminds me of young Alicia Silverstone, yum yum.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »
FIRST BITCHES

The Bourne Ultimatum

Will be watching with Jingle.son in July in preparation for The Legacy.
I watched all 3 in the last week or so.  Great action films.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 11:07:31 AM »
Caught Knight and Day recently, and it was just as much fun as the first time.  Apparently a lot of people don't like this film, which is a shame because I thought it was great.  Okay yeah, it's totally unbelievable some of the stuff that Cruise does, but he does it so well and is just so cool about it.  His character is like a more easygoing version of Ethan Hunt, his character from the Mission: Impossible movies.  And Cameron Diaz is still very pretty and very cute, so there.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2012, 11:32:57 AM »
Oh, a new one. Anyway, just gonna plug Hick again, it was quite good if uncomfortable to watch pretty much the entire time. :lol
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 11:35:55 AM »
Seeing Prometheus in 2 days, totally psyched about it! :caffeine:

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 11:50:05 AM »
Seeing Prometheus in 2 days, totally psyched about it! :caffeine:
Man, was hoping to catch that tomorrow but it will probably not happen until next weekend.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 12:35:36 PM by BlackInk »

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 12:10:38 PM »
I thought Prometheus wasn't coming out until next weekend... ? ???

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 12:33:45 PM »
This weekend in Europe I believe - which is where Zantera is.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 12:35:21 PM »
Oh!  Okay, that makes sense then.

Don't mind the derpette moment. :blush

Offline TL

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »
Oh, a new one. Anyway, just gonna plug Hick again, it was quite good if uncomfortable to watch pretty much the entire time. :lol
I thought it was okay, but a bit of a letdown overall. From the trailers, I think I was expecting more of a Tarantino, Natural Born Killers type thing, and the first bit of the film seems to be setting up for something like that, but then it just goes in a completely different direction. I know it's not fair to knock a film because it didn't match up with a misleading trailer, but that was a factor.

Moretz delivered a great performance, but the film overall just didn't seem to know where it was going at times.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2012, 02:31:48 AM »
Seeing Prometheus tonight!! :caffeine:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 04:41:41 AM »
Damn European early release!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 06:20:31 AM »
Seeing Men in Black 3 tonight and I can't wait to see Prometheus.  Of course I've got a wedding to go to next weekend.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 03:01:40 PM »
Just under a week until I see Prometheus. Aaagh.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline masterthes

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 03:44:26 PM »
Saw Snow White and the Huntsman. It was good. I love Charlize

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2012, 03:45:25 PM »
Just came home from seeing Prometheus, all I can say is: :caffeine:

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »
Saw Snow White and the Huntsman. It was good. I love Charlize

Yeah, she's smokin.  Goin tomorrow with Jingle.son

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2012, 04:09:28 PM »
Seeing Men in Black 3 tonight and I can't wait to see Prometheus.  Of course I've got a wedding to go to next weekend.

So you're gonna skip the wedding, right?
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline MK_Ultra

• The House Always Wins.
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 04:44:28 PM »
Mind if I ask why? I thought it was mediocre at best - it looked amazing sure, but there were so many plotholes, it was poorly written and things seemed to happen just for the sake of it, no explanations of motive or anything. It turned from promising scifi to dull action/horror the moment the biologist reacted to the alien cobra like he did.
If it has a sequel (which it undoubtedly will) those holes will likely be filled, but for now and as a standalone, I didn't like it at all.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
Mind if I ask why? I thought it was mediocre at best - it looked amazing sure, but there were so many plotholes, it was poorly written and things seemed to happen just for the sake of it, no explanations of motive or anything. It turned from promising scifi to dull action/horror the moment the biologist reacted to the alien cobra like he did.
If it has a sequel (which it undoubtedly will) those holes will likely be filled, but for now and as a standalone, I didn't like it at all.

I thought it was good, but I understand your complaints.
I'll post my thoughts in smaller text since I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but what I thought:

There was one big question that I kept thinking about, maybe the only plothole that bugged me, but it was the scene when David infected Holloway when he gave him the glass. I've given it a lot of thought, at first I thought it might have been orders from Weyland, but then again, why would he want the crew to get infected? They could easily just have carried the vial to earth and explored the content more there, but I have another theory regarding David that I'll post a bit further down.

There are a few silly character-flaws that always bug me, and it wasn't different in this movie. We have the two guys who have to stay down in the ruins because of the storm. At first when they hear about a possible lifeform, their reaction is "run the opposite direction", which is wise. The irrational part comes after, when one of them tried to befriend the snake-like Alien. That was silly, because no matter how much balls you have, there's no way that you would just run up to an alien-lifeform like that, and be all like "jump in my face".  :lol

Otherwise I thought it was really nice visuals and a great soundtrack. Some of the actors really shined in their parts, one wish would be more character-depth, but I'm hoping that there will be some form of Directors Cut or Extended version on the BluRay with 10-15 minutes of extra material that might address it. Fassbender was really good.

Now, David (Fassbender's character) was easily the most interesting one, for several reasons. One scene in particular that I found interesting was when he told Elizabeth (Noomi Rapace): "Who doesn't want to see their parents dead?", a line that might come off as just an ordinary question for some, but got me thinking. David is very fascinating because he claims that he can't feel emotions, he gets told that he's "just a robot" and that he was created just because the humankind could do it. I have a theory that David actually has very strong feelings against the human race, and that what he really meant with "Who doesn't want to see their parents dead?" was really another way of indicating that he wants the human race dead. We have the scene when David talks to the space jockey. Now, even if we hear the english translation of what Weyland wants to say, we don't know what David actually says. One possibility is that he taunted the space jockey, saying something that would get him angry, knowing that he would kill the humans there, and then most likely travel to earth and do the same there. What I think speaks for this is that David spends his life being looked down upon by humans, when he's really much "better" than them, and it's possible that he has realized it. This would also explain why he infects Holloway, he simply hopes that the infection will kill off the crew on the ship.

I also thought the connections to Alien were good. We have the grave-room with the urns/vials, that clearly had an alien painted on the wall. We also have the Xenomorph at the end which obviously looked a bit different due to being spawned from a space jockey rather than a human.
Sure, there are some questions that remains unanswered. How did the space jockey end up on the planet in Alien (yeah I know it's a different one), and what happened there. I'm a bit sad that we didn't get a better explanation of exactly HOW the Alien came to be. We know that if a Space Octopus rapes a Space Jockey then we have an Alien, but that still doesn't explain what happened on the planet before Prometheus landed there. How did the Space Jockeys get beaten by their own weapon?
Another interesting idea would be that the Space Jockeys were divided, maybe two groups of them. One that wanted to kill/use humans for personal gain, the others that wanted to create humans and have a peaceful relation to them.

Just a few thoughts.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 05:19:13 PM by Zantera »

Offline MK_Ultra

• The House Always Wins.
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2012, 05:24:22 PM »

I thought it was good, but I understand your complaints.
I'll post my thoughts in smaller text since I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but what I thought:

There was one big question that I kept thinking about, maybe the only plothole that bugged me, but it was the scene when David infected Holloway when he gave him the glass. I've given it a lot of thought, at first I thought it might have been orders from Weyland, but then again, why would he want the crew to get infected? They could easily just have carried the vial to earth and explored the content more there, but I have another theory regarding David that I'll post a bit further down.

There are a few silly character-flaws that always bug me, and it wasn't different in this movie. We have the two guys who have to stay down in the ruins because of the storm. At first when they hear about a possible lifeform, their reaction is "run the opposite direction", which is wise. The irrational part comes after, when one of them tried to befriend the snake-like Alien. That was silly, because no matter how much balls you have, there's no way that you would just run up to an alien-lifeform like that, and be all like "jump in my face".  :lol

Otherwise I thought it was really nice visuals and a great soundtrack. Some of the actors really shined in their parts, one wish would be more character-depth, but I'm hoping that there will be some form of Directors Cut or Extended version on the BluRay with 10-15 minutes of extra material that might address it. Fassbender was really good.

Now, David (Fassbender's character) was easily the most interesting one, for several reasons. One scene in particular that I found interesting was when he told Elizabeth (Noomi Rapace): "Who doesn't want to see their parents dead?", a line that might come off as just an ordinary question for some, but got me thinking. David is very fascinating because he claims that he can't feel emotions, he gets told that he's "just a robot" and that he was created just because the humankind could do it. I have a theory that David actually has very strong feelings against the human race, and that what he really meant with "Who doesn't want to see their parents dead?" was really another way of indicating that he wants the human race dead. We have the scene when David talks to the space jockey. Now, even if we hear the english translation of what Weyland wants to say, we don't know what David actually says. One possibility is that he taunted the space jockey, saying something that would get him angry, knowing that he would kill the humans there, and then most likely travel to earth and do the same there. What I think speaks for this is that David spends his life being looked down upon by humans, when he's really much "better" than them, and it's possible that he has realized it. This would also explain why he infects Holloway, he simply hopes that the infection will kill off the crew on the ship.

I also thought the connections to Alien were good. We have the grave-room with the urns/vials, that clearly had an alien painted on the wall. We also have the Xenomorph at the end which obviously looked a bit different due to being spawned from a space jockey rather than a human.
Sure, there are some questions that remains unanswered. How did the space jockey end up on the planet in Alien (yeah I know it's a different one), and what happened there. I'm a bit sad that we didn't get a better explanation of exactly HOW the Alien came to be. We know that if a Space Octopus rapes a Space Jockey then we have an Alien, but that still doesn't explain what happened on the planet before Prometheus landed there. How did the Space Jockeys get beaten by their own weapon?

Just a few thoughts.
Hm.
I hadn't thought of the orders from Weyland possibility - I assumed David did it because he was pissed at Holloway for saying robots didn't matter because that set the scene nicely for the idea of 'creators being destroyed by their creations', as with the Engineers and their bioweapons, but then that made it seem unclear as to why David helped Shaw at the end (by offering to help read the maps). I hope the motivations are explained in the sequel, especially for the Engineers - why did the one David woke up immediately go hulk smash?
Thanks for the reply.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2012, 05:37:43 PM »
Yeah...

I know what you mean with David offering to help at the end. That's a bit tricky to read into because there might be different reasons or motives. If there's anything we can take into account from the original Alien-movies (first and second at least), it's that androids are certainly not trustworthy, and they don't seem to care about human casualties. When David mentions that there are more ships, maybe he was hoping for them to run into another space jockey, or a snake-like alien, or whatever that would "take care" of Elizabeth, or maybe he just wanted them to go back to earth. Seeing as he was in pretty bad shape, it's possible that he thought that he could get repaired at earth, or something.

As for the space jockey attacking them, I think my theory about the space jockeys being divided into two groups would make sense. One group of the space jockeys were proud of the humans, they left clues on earth so that the humans would find them, but the other group were more evil, or at least didn't care about a lower form of life. That would explain why the space jockey attacked them, if he was under group number two. But as I also mentioned, we didn't get to hear what David actually said to the space jockey. We heard what Weyland wanted him to say, but if my theory about David's "hatred" for humans has any truth to it, then it's quite possible that he told the space jockey something completely else, possibly taunting him.

There are indeed a few questions they could answer, but I also think that leaving a few things open is part of the charm. It creates speculation and buzz, you get to fill in the blanks yourself. While I like getting answers, people have spent over 30 years wondering about the origins of the Alien-race, who and what the Space Jockey was, and how it all started. Now we got some answers, but new questions that we can speculate about until the next movie.
In one way I thought the urns/vials made it silly because we already have the Xenomorph and it's lifecycle, and it just became a bit silly to me when it was created in the way it was (Space Octopus rapes Space Jockey), and that was that. The urns/vials still remain a bit of a mystery to me, what do they exactly do? They turned one of the scientists into a crazy alien/human-hybrid, but exactly what it was, that remains a mystery.
On the other hand, I think that the original idea for the Alien life-cycle was cooler then how it turned out to be. If you aren't familiar with it, before James Cameron introduced the whole "Alien queen lays eggs > facehugger > chestbuster > xenomorph/alien queen"-deal, there was an idea where humans that had been victims of the alien would become eggs themselves, their bodies would just sort of wither away and become new eggs. I think that was both creepier and in one way more logical, and I believe it's explored in the Directors Cut of Alien.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »

So you're gonna skip the wedding, right?

As much as I'd love to the correct answer is, "Yeah, that will happen."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2012, 08:25:34 PM »
Just came back from the Dictator, and I loved it. I get why people say it's not as great as Borat, but it was pretty damn good, especially since I could understand what he was saying in the scene when he's speaking Hebrew. :lol

Also it was very interesting in the scene where he's describing what makes dictatorships so great, people were laughing uproarously in the beginning, but as it began to sound more and more like America, the theater became eerily quiet. Just kind of a cool moment.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »
If there was ever a Dead Space movie; the previews are going to look exactly like the Prometheus ones.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2012, 01:40:13 AM »
Saw MiB3 earlier tonight. Thought it was great. Had good action, some funny moments, and Brolin fucking nailed it as K. It has the charm that the second one lacked, and was just fun overall.

Kind if weird to see them in the uniforms again fourteen years after the original. They felt like they belonged, though.
Listen! Do you smell something?