Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Ultimatum  (Read 198198 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Movie Thread v. Ultimatum
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2012, 04:48:33 AM »
Saw MiB3 earlier tonight. Thought it was great. Had good action, some funny moments, and Brolin fucking nailed it as K. It has the charm that the second one lacked, and was just fun overall.

Kind if weird to see them in the uniforms again fourteen years after the original. They felt like they belonged, though.

Dead on MJ.  Good ending to tie it all together if this is the last one.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »
Saw MiB3 earlier tonight. Thought it was great. Had good action, some funny moments, and Brolin fucking nailed it as K. It has the charm that the second one lacked, and was just fun overall.

Kind if weird to see them in the uniforms again fourteen years after the original. They felt like they belonged, though.

Dead on MJ.  Good ending to tie it all together if this is the last one.
[semi-spoilers]

As soon as the kid said his name, I basically went "ohfuck" and my heart sank. It was brief, but Smith showed he definitely still has the acting chops.

Also, the soundtrack was fucking beast. Classic Elfman with heavy guitar woven into it? Hard to beat that as far as just a cool-ass sound.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »
Chronicle was fucking fantastic! :tup
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2012, 11:09:35 AM »

:tup
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2012, 12:01:25 PM »
I liked the part where it became Akira at the end.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2012, 12:59:20 PM »
The Akira and Carrie influences are not subtle, that's for sure.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2012, 01:40:14 PM »
It actually kind of bothered me to be honest. I mean, don't get me wrong, I thought it was a really good film. But I felt like the major drop off point, for me at least, was when "Tetsuo" kills the black kid with lightning. After that point, I was 100% convinced what kind of resolution we'd be seeing. .
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2012, 01:47:15 PM »
Honestly, there was NO other resolution that movie could've had.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2012, 02:37:09 PM »
It actually kind of bothered me to be honest. I mean, don't get me wrong, I thought it was a really good film. But I felt like the major drop off point, for me at least, was when "Tetsuo" kills the black kid with lightning. After that point, I was 100% convinced what kind of resolution we'd be seeing. .

Yeah, but apart from Carrie I can't think of any Western (or at least American) analogue to Akira, so I at least thought it was nice that an American studio would try it out.

Offline senecadawg2

Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2012, 05:03:25 PM »
Agreed ^
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2012, 06:33:30 PM »
Watched the thread's namesake tonight, another great movie, looking forward to Legacy.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 07:35:41 PM »
Insomnia, Batman Begins, Spider-Man.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 07:39:38 PM »
Insomnia, Batman Begins, Spider-Man.

Yup, those are movies alright.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 10:10:07 PM »
Huh, I saw a movie and 2 comic-book names there.

Offline TL

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 09:22:05 PM »
I finally got around to seeing The Avengers (in 3D no less).
It was a lot of fun, and basically exactly what a person would want out of a movie like this. I liked it. The 3D was a bit hit or miss (I haven't seen a whole lot of films in 3D, and I think any complaints I had about it would apply to basically anything in 3D), but was neat in places.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #51 on: June 05, 2012, 12:23:41 AM »
Post conversion is bullshit. I don't like 3D period, but if its not in the very least shot that way, I refuse to watch it.
Same deal with fake Imax movies.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #52 on: June 05, 2012, 01:44:36 AM »
I think some 3D is nice when it really enhances and adds depth to the picture. A good example is Prometheus IMO, this wont really spoil anything but there's a storm during the movie which I thought was done pretty well in 3D.
Movies that have those "something flies out of the screen" feels a bit more silly to me.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2012, 03:08:57 AM »
I think some 3D is nice when it really enhances and adds depth to the picture. A good example is Prometheus IMO, this wont really spoil anything but there's a storm during the movie which I thought was done pretty well in 3D.
Movies that have those "something flies out of the screen" feels a bit more silly to me.

Prometheus is native. It was shot using 3D cameras. That is why it looks good.
I'm talking about post-converted crap, which is 95% of the titles that have been in the theaters
the last several years.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #54 on: June 05, 2012, 04:43:39 AM »
Yeah I know what you mean. Just annoying when they film, then convert a few scenes and maybe the text to 3D, just so they can charge more for the tickets.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
Speaking of Akira, I finally saw it for the very first time. That ending was bizarre to say the least

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: June 10, 2012, 03:46:57 PM »
I finally saw Reservoir Dogs for the first time, yeah iīm late! But what a movie that is, both the acting and the dialogues is pure gold throughout the whole movie!  :tup
But one thing that bugged me and also made me laugh is the director himself Mr Tarantino (:hefdaddy). His acting and the character he plays....i canīt believe iīm saying this....felt so misplaced and just weird! Be gentle folks...donīt barbecue me! :flame:
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #57 on: June 10, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »
Meh, it's more like a cameo that he has there. RD is still my favorite Tarantino film.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: June 10, 2012, 04:26:20 PM »
Yeah it may be so and it was nothing that effected the movie anyway! Hmm i donīt know...i think PF is the one for me!  :)

Edit: Fixed!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 05:22:20 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #59 on: June 10, 2012, 04:37:20 PM »
Never said best.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #60 on: June 10, 2012, 06:01:53 PM »
In Time

I read a short story in magazine, it must've been over 30 years ago, called "Time is Money".  When I saw the trailer for this movie and its basic premise, I knew that I had to see the movie.  I knew that they probably changed a bunch of stuff, and it probably wouldn't be nearly as good as the original story, but the original story wasn't perfect, either.  As with most short stories, it's really more of a "what if...?" thing fleshed out a bit.

It wasn't bad.  The premise is that they've finally isolated and disabled the gene that makes us age, and further, figured out how to activate it when you turn 25.  Once you hit 25, you stop aging and will basically look like that for the rest of your life, and since you're not aging, the rest of your life can be a very long time.  You're not actually immortal; you can still be killed or die of disease, but other than that, you can theoretically live forever.

Obviously this can't quite work.  As one character says early in the movie, we can't all live forever; where would you put everybody?

So it works like this.  When you turn 25, a clock is activated.  You are given one year.  Time literally is money; it is the currency.  A cup of coffee costs four minutes.  Bus fare to Dayton costs two hours.  That kind of thing.  You work, you earn time for your time.  You pay for things in time.  So that one year is a baseline, and you want to add to it.  Rich people have years and years in the bank.  Hundreds, even thousands of years. 

Anyway, the system is broken and there's a few people with lots of time and most people living day-to-day (literally) and occassionally dying when they "time out".  In the ghettos, you can be mugged or killed for your time.  One guy learns about a supposed conspiracy where the rich people who control things are the ones who keep raising taxes and the cost of living, and he sets out to fix things.

They had some trouble fleshing out the story, as there are some inherent problems with how such a society would really work, so while you would normally say "turn your brain off and just enjoy the movie" I had a little trouble because the whole point of sci-fi is engaging your brain and appreciating how they made everything work.  And it didn't always work.  But most things worked, and the few things that didn't were okay if you didn't think too hard, plus you had Amanda Seyfried in both a skinny-dipping scene and a strip poker scene (she loses, by the way) so that was cool, Justin Timberlake suprisingly doesn't suck, and Cillian Murphy steals the show as always.  Olivia Wilde is hot as always, and Matt Bomer is great in a small but important role.

Overall score: 6 out of 10, maybe 7 if you're not too picky.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2012, 08:26:10 PM »
Batman: Year One

Good little movie, but man not hearing Kevin Conroy as Batman is weird as hell!

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »
Copied from the vidya games thread:

In other news, Indie Game: The Movie is out today for digital distribution on itunes, Steam, and DRM-free through their website (recommended). Downloading it now, I am excite.

That was fantastic. It wasn't about 'indie games' as it was about people putting forth everything they have to make what's essentially a piece of art. It was an insightful look into just how much work it takes to put out a successful game, and was surprisingly poignant. I'd recommend it really to anyone, even if they're not a big indie games fan or even necessarily a gamer.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2012, 01:40:54 PM »
I was a little put off about that one guy's concentration camp comment though... :P

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2012, 01:48:53 PM »
 :lol
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2012, 08:56:32 AM »
RIP Henry Hill

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #66 on: June 13, 2012, 08:59:23 AM »
So when is a movie with an original plot ever going to come out? Tarantino does a good job with his movies, but they're usually just homages to movies he likes. Which I am okay with. But, every movie now is a fucking remake or some shit.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2012, 10:15:17 AM »
Watched Night of the Hunter for the first time yesterday. I'm ashamed that it took me this long to see it. Excellent film.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2012, 11:33:38 AM »
So when is a movie with an original plot ever going to come out? Tarantino does a good job with his movies, but they're usually just homages to movies he likes. Which I am okay with. But, every movie now is a fucking remake or some shit.

A wise man once said there's no such thing as an original story; what we yearn for is an original telling.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »

Lots of original movies come out often. They're just usually not summer blockbusters.
fanticide.bandcamp.com