Author Topic: The Movie Thread v. Ultimatum  (Read 198217 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The Movie Thread v. Ultimatum
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2012, 12:17:50 PM »
Cars 2

I understand why this one didn't do nearly as well as the first one, and is generally considered Pixar's first flop.  It's not horrible; in fact, it's a lot of fun in some places.  The whole "cars as spies" thing was different, though the "hapless idiot gets mistaken for spy but somehow manages to succeed anyway and even get the girl" thing has been done to death.  My guess is that both themes are pretty new to most kids, which is fine, but Pixar's strength has always been that it doesn't play down to kids.  The themes have always had universal appeal, and this one was missing that rather important factor.

Also, it put me off a bit very early in the movie, and I don't know if I ever recovered from it.  Yes, we're talking about sentient, anthropomorphized automobiles, but within that setting, the laws of physics generally still apply.  In fact, Pixar often goes to great lengths to justify how cars (or bugs or toys) manage to do the things they do.  So how in the hell did Finn get from the crab boat over to the warship?  Jump?  Swim?  Fly?  We saw later that he could do some pretty impressive things with those grappling cables, but he obviously didn't use them here.  Cars can't swim, for obvious reasons, and while we've seen them jump maybe a foot or two (strictly in a "human-like" way), leaping from the boat to the ship is insane.  But suddenly he's over there.  How?  Because he's a spy, and spies can do stuff like that was apparently the only answer we're gonna get, and I wasn't buying it.  By time we got to parachutes being able to support tons of metal, I was taken out.

So, not horrible, but not great.  Fun, but you have to turn your brain off for this one, and that's a first for Pixar.

Mr. Popper's Penguins

From the trailers, I was afraid that old Jim Carrey (that is, young Jim Carrey) would return.  The one who gets cheap laughs by making silly faces and talking funny and doing slapstick.  I was pleasantly surprised that that was not the case.  It was similar, but a much more toned-down version of that Jim Carrey.  Sure, the whole premise of the movie was dumb, but it stuck to its guns and gave it to us and left it up to us whether we wanted to buy into it or not.  I bought it.  Fun movie, kid safe, good time.

Coulson from the Marvel movies was predictably evil and annoying.  Carla Gugino was hot as always, but if her lips keep growing like that, they will soon envelope her entire face, which would be a bummer because she's pretty.  Actually the most distracting thing was that the daughter Janie looked so much like our own Alirocker that every time she came on screen I thought "Hey, it's Alice!" and missed whatever she said.  The actress and character are both 15, so I gotta be careful what I say, but she was really pretty and she's gonna be a killer when she grows up.

Apparently the plot of the movie has nothing to do with the book, but I've never read the book, so that didn't bother me a bit.  It didn't even bother me that the plot we got was completely stupid.  I was in the mood for some brainless fun, and got it.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #71 on: June 13, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »
I thought Cars 1 was the one everyone calls the first Pixar flop.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: June 13, 2012, 07:19:13 PM »
I think Cars 2 was the first Pixar that didn't have that emotional connection.  I felt sad for Wall E and the old man in UP.  I was pulling for the family in The Incredibles but no such character in Cars 2.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #73 on: June 13, 2012, 07:34:11 PM »
Doing a badass Travolta night-

1) Taking of Pelham 123-if he could just slip in one more "motherfucker" saying LOl
2) From Paris With Love- count how many people he kills
3) Swordfish- besides being a bad ass-  as cheesy at it is, the movie/ending is pretty cool.
4) Pulp Fiction-NUFF SAID!

already thru Pelham. the rest should get me thru till 4 a.m for my 50 mile bicycle ride. shit after watching all, maybe i will do 75 miles.

and did i mention sitting on my deck with headphones watching them on a 42 inch Sony Tv. Cigar, and a massive mound of smoked pork nachos.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:01:41 PM by njdtfan »
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #74 on: June 13, 2012, 08:11:21 PM »
As a father of twin 5 1/2 year old boys, trust me i have seen both Cars movies maybe more than I have seen Monty Python & the Holy Grail (yeah thats about over 100 times each). That said, as an adult, Cars 1 rules. Cars 2 lacked the "emotionsl" content. But to a 5 year old, trust me, my sons cant get enough of EVERYTHING Cars related. and I am more than happy to give it to them. Cars 2 has a bit more action. and from my sons view it is a somewhat more interesting movie. I will honestly say that Cars 1 may be one of my favorite movies (I guess because it has alot of sentimental value becaue of how much the greatest loves of my life (my sons) love it. Even the 5 minute shorts Pixar has done are cool. I guess where i am coming from, is, they are 2 movies my sons love and trust me, it beats watching some of the other crap movies/tv shows kids their age watch. so its a win win situation. My 1 sons already wants to be a Nascar drtiver (yeah I am  nascar geek, worked for them for over 10 years). So all said, yeah, they are not the best Pixar movies (Nemo & Toys story 3 rule). But for me, the Cars films, with the sentimental value are priceless.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2012, 08:12:53 PM »
Just watched the wedding crashers for the first time since it came out. what a shitty movie.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2012, 08:14:21 PM »
IRONY.

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2012, 08:24:46 PM »
 :rollin
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2012, 09:11:51 PM »
Just watched the wedding crashers for the first time since it came out. what a shitty movie.

You are a newlyed. what the hel are you doing watching a movie. Just kidding.

I got married in 1995, went on our honeymoon to Aruba for 2 weeks. Got to the hotel, had a great first night. spent the first half of the day on the beach. the wife got fried. she went upstairs, I went downnto the theater in the hotel and watched Ajax vs. Milan uefa champions game while meeting some aweome Dutch soccer fans. had way to many Dutch beers. lets say by the time she got up i was done LOL. Newly weds LOL.  BTW, congrats Snapple.
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2012, 08:23:59 AM »
So when is a movie with an original plot ever going to come out? Tarantino does a good job with his movies, but they're usually just homages to movies he likes. Which I am okay with. But, every movie now is a fucking remake or some shit.

Lots of original movies come out often. They're just usually not summer blockbusters.

This. If you look for them, you will find it. It's kinda like how some people complain that all new music sucks, and it turns out they only know the bands and artists that gets played on the radio.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2012, 12:48:44 AM »
Just saw the new Wes Anderson film Moonrise Kingdom. It was a really great film, and I would highly recommend all you fools go see it.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2012, 04:39:07 AM »
I just watched A Fish Named Wanda again, and HOLY FUCK. This movie is soooooo good.

Anyone who hasn't seen it, do it nao.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2012, 05:04:32 AM »
Just saw the new Wes Anderson film Moonrise Kingdom. It was a really great film, and I would highly recommend all you fools go see it.

IT STILL HASNT COME OUT ANYWHERE NEAR ME AKLSDJHKSAJEHKJSDHFKLSJ

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2012, 05:22:32 AM »
Oh and apparently there's another Resident Evil coming out. :\

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »

IT STILL HASNT COME OUT ANYWHERE NEAR ME AKLSDJHKSAJEHKJSDHFKLSJ

When it does you absolutely have to go see it. It was really, really good.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2012, 08:18:05 PM »
I want to see this. I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD though. Doesn't seem like a movie that really has to be seen on the big screen.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
I want to see this. I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD though. Doesn't seem like a movie that really has to be seen on the big screen.

It really isn't, but I in no way regret going to the midnight showing last night.
prog sucks

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #87 on: June 16, 2012, 12:18:36 AM »
I somehow made it 26 years without seeing Vertigo in its entirety, making me feel like a lousy Hitchcock fan. I finally put it on last night, and I found myself fairly disappointed. Fans and critics praised it to such a degree that I suppose my expectations were too high. For a director that tends to make increasingly suspenseful thrillers, I found the pace of Vertigo to be slow as molasses. The majority of the film is our two leads going around San Francisco and not doing a whole lot. I also found the twist to be way too complicated. Perhaps this is a film to revisit from time to time to see how it fairs, but outside of the amazing visual pastiche, I found little to hoot and holler about.

Spot on, I feel the same.

So I watched Time Bandits tonight for the first time in quite a while.  Yeah, it's dated and corny but still a pretty damn good movie if I do say so myself.  Not on par with Brazil or 12 Monkeys, but definitely up there on my list of favorite Gilliam films.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #88 on: June 16, 2012, 05:36:03 AM »
I watched Time Bandits tonight for the first time in quite a while.  Yeah, it's dated and corny but still a pretty damn good movie if I do say so myself.  Not on par with Brazil or 12 Monkeys, but definitely up there on my list of favorite Gilliam films.
:metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2012, 08:42:40 AM »
Seeing Rock of Ages today. Looks like it could be fun

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2012, 08:56:40 AM »
I've heard mixed reviews but I'm really interested in seeing it, so be sure to let us know how it is!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2012, 08:57:42 AM »
I hope it's good, I guess, but I have zero interest in seeing that.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2012, 09:04:08 AM »
Even just the ad on TV made me want to rage and throw things.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
Saw the musical when it was playing in Toronto.  Very good actually.  Mrs.Jingle wants to see the flick, so it'll undoubtedly be a date night thing.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #94 on: June 16, 2012, 10:13:58 AM »
Yeah my folks saw it when I was away at college and thought it was great (the musical). That's why I wanna see the movie.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #95 on: June 16, 2012, 11:57:52 AM »
I saw Rent in Boston years ago and I liked the movie so I'd probably like it but I'm not going to see it in the theaters.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #96 on: June 16, 2012, 12:13:49 PM »
Act of Valor....

The actions sequences were good, everything else was just laughably bad!

Also, Mike Portnoy is one of the bad guys.

Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #97 on: June 16, 2012, 12:21:44 PM »
Cabin in the Woods - Loved it. The idea of taking typical horror movie tropes and turning it into a movie about said tropes was an awesome idea. I was a little bothered by the ending at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense as a metaphor. Well played.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline masterthes

« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2012, 10:37:41 PM »
So Rock of Ages was definitely a fun movie. Julianne Hough and Malin Akerman are ridiculously hot in this movie, and Tom Cruise can sing. Mary J. Blige's character was really stupid though. She was really just there to sing songs that's it. It's from the same director that did the musical version of Hairspray, which was a better movie, but I think that was because the content was better

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #99 on: June 16, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »
Saw Alien for the first time in a verrrrry long time last night. Great movie, though the effects are....outdated to say the least.

Also very nice to see a horror (of sorts) movie where the black guy and the girl are the last to die.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2012, 12:45:35 AM »
Saw Iron Sky

Don't know how to properly numerically rate.

95% of the movie was unequivocally brilliant.

But the other 5% left a bad taste in my mouth.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »
I had no idea the younger boy's wife in Big Fish was Marion Cotillard. This changes everything.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2012, 08:44:55 AM »
Saw Iron Sky

I would have loved to watch it, if only for Laibach doing the soundtrack of the movie, but I somehow missed it. Damn the fucking bad movie choice here in my town, with one cinema that plays like two movies a day.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2012, 10:27:15 AM »
Saw Iron Sky

I would have loved to watch it, if only for Laibach doing the soundtrack of the movie, but I somehow missed it. Damn the fucking bad movie choice here in my town, with one cinema that plays like two movies a day.
Because Iron Sky is a movie that critics and scholars of film studies shall be praising for many generations to come.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2012, 10:36:29 AM »
Saw Iron Sky

Because Iron Sky is a movie that critics and scholars of film studies shall be praising for many generations to come.
I don't really care, and I'm pretty sure that it would have been better than what had been offered during that time. I don't recall what it was anymore, but I nearly fell asleep while only reading the poster of the program on the door of the cinema.