Author Topic: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened  (Read 150902 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened
« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2012, 01:21:18 PM »
Because it's a machine that churns out copy/paste shows, CBS renewed 18 programs today.

In other news, Community will be going into syndication on Comedy Central... in fall 2013.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #246 on: March 15, 2012, 08:06:21 AM »
HBO has cancelled Luck, in the midst of production of its second season, because of the third death of a horse while filming.

https://insidetv.ew.com/2012/03/14/hbo-cancels-luck/
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #247 on: March 15, 2012, 10:03:58 AM »
Quote from: GuineaPig link=topic=30074.msg1240244#msg1240244 date=1331752878
In other news, [i
Community[/i] will be going into syndication on Comedy Central... in fall 2013.

:omg: So what does that mean for the show exactly? There will be a 4th season, but not till 2013? Or will NBC still order a 4th season before CC gets it?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #248 on: March 15, 2012, 10:16:20 AM »
Quote from: GuineaPig link=topic=30074.msg1240244#msg1240244 date=1331752878
In other news, [i
Community[/i] will be going into syndication on Comedy Central... in fall 2013.

:omg: So what does that mean for the show exactly? There will be a 4th season, but not till 2013? Or will NBC still order a 4th season before CC gets it?

It heavily implies there will be a fourth season.  After all, series typically don't go into syndication until they have ~88 episodes.  Also, the timing, in fall 2013 rather than fall 2012, suggests that NBC isn't done with Community just yet.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #249 on: March 15, 2012, 03:59:09 PM »
Bryan Cranston is on Archer tonight.  Should be awesome.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #250 on: March 15, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
Only have one episode left of Arrested Development, always sad when I finish a great TV-show, but can always watch it again at some point. Such great characters in the show, GOB especially.  :heart

I've also decided that I'm gonna watch Lost. I feel like it's a show I would really like, so I'm excited about it.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #251 on: March 15, 2012, 04:13:19 PM »
I feel that of all the well-regarded dramas of the last decade, Lost is the one whose stature has diminished the most.  There's been a significant backlash to it since the finale.

Of course, I never loved it to begin with.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #252 on: March 15, 2012, 04:18:37 PM »
GP.  What's your take on Justified this year.  I loved this weeks episode.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #253 on: March 15, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
I stopped watching this season after the fifth episode.  Not because I wasn't loving it; rather, I was watching seasons 1 and 2 with my roommates, and I wanted to watch the rest of this season with them.  We're starting season 3 tonight, so we'll have to wait for those last two episodes.

Season 3 has been interesting from what I've seen of it.  Season 2 was a lot more serialized (or rather, the back-half of it was), and I thought that gave it a lot of its weight.  Season three wasn't quite as good, but I felt that there were some great self-contained episodes, much better than their counterparts in seasons 1 and 2.  In fact, outside of The Sopranos, X-Files, and maybe one or two more, I think Justified has been doing these stand-alones better than any other drama I can remember. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #254 on: March 16, 2012, 09:56:02 AM »
Community pulled a 2.2 in the key demographic and 4.8 million viewers.  Best numbers in a looooooong time.  Looks very good for renewal.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #255 on: March 16, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
:caffeine:
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #256 on: March 16, 2012, 11:00:43 AM »
Have been busy watching all 10 seasons of Smallville. I had initially tuned out after the 2nd season back in the day, so its nice to just blow through the whole run for a month straight. It certainly has its ups and downs, but its entertaining throughout. I'm wrapping up season 8 now. Impressed at how many classic villains and heroes they've been able to include.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #257 on: March 16, 2012, 11:07:59 AM »
Have been busy watching all 10 seasons of Smallville. I had initially tuned out after the 2nd season back in the day, so its nice to just blow through the whole run for a month straight. It certainly has its ups and downs, but its entertaining throughout. I'm wrapping up season 8 now. Impressed at how many classic villains and heroes they've been able to include.

I really, really enjoyed Smallville when it was airing. I stopped watching once Rosenbaum left as I have a complete heterosexual hard on for that man and his portrayal of Lex. There are definitely some major flaws now that I've gone back and rewatched a few seasons but for the most part its a very charming reiteration of the Superman story. Some very good memories with that show.

I'm about to watch the new episode of Community!! Woo woo!

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #258 on: March 16, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
You know what television is sorely lacking? A very good space set sci-fi show. Every sci-fi show now adays takes place on earth it seems, which is cool but I miss space set shows.

Stargate SGU was superb quality, but of course got canceled after 2 years because it decided to focus more on characters, atmosphere and a long arching plot rather than lots of action and humor.

I imagine we'll see another one once people stop trying to profit off the corpse of Battlestar Galactica, and someone comes up with an original idea.

It's definitely been proved that there's an audience for a good show like that.
I am a huge Stargate fan...watched all the incarnations of it and have to say that for as much as I love the 'original' series, I was/am kind of still bummed that they took 'Atlantis' off the air in lieu of Universe. At the time there were rumors that Atlantis already had (2) greenlit right to DVD movies planned but I haven't seen nor heard of it since.
  I wouldn't mind them firing that franchise back up but signing the actor who plays Ronin may be tough given his recent success.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #259 on: March 16, 2012, 11:11:17 AM »
Anyone watching 'Awake' on NBC? I haven't watched last nights episode yet but it's interesting. I have a feeling though that it's all being set up for him to just still be in a comma at the end of the day and neither his wife or son are dead. I forgot the actors name, but I really dig his work....he's good.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #260 on: March 16, 2012, 11:15:34 AM »
You know what television is sorely lacking? A very good space set sci-fi show. Every sci-fi show now adays takes place on earth it seems, which is cool but I miss space set shows.

Stargate SGU was superb quality, but of course got canceled after 2 years because it decided to focus more on characters, atmosphere and a long arching plot rather than lots of action and humor.

I imagine we'll see another one once people stop trying to profit off the corpse of Battlestar Galactica, and someone comes up with an original idea.

I am a huge Stargate fan...watched all the incarnations of it and have to say that for as much as I love the 'original' series, I was/am kind of still bummed that they took 'Atlantis' off the air in lieu of Universe. At the time there were rumors that Atlantis already had (2) greenlit right to DVD movies planned but I haven't seen nor heard of it since.
  I wouldn't mind them firing that franchise back up but signing the actor who plays Ronin may be tough given his recent success.

The Atlantis movies were greenlit at the time, but were put on hold because MGM went bankrupt. Since recovering and being restructured, it has been made pretty much official that the SG franchise is dead (at least in any current form).
When SGU was canceled, they tried to strike a deal for a movie to wrap up that arc, which was shot down. In a last ditch effort, they even tried pitching a combined SG-1/SGA/SGU movie as a final send off, but that was also rejected.
From reading the basic outline of the SGA movie that was revealed, I don't think it would have been great, as the basic plot seemed pretty contrived, but I would have loved for them to make the SG-1 movie they had planned.

:(
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: March 16, 2012, 11:22:41 AM »

The Atlantis movies were greenlit at the time, but were put on hold because MGM went bankrupt. Since recovering and being restructured, it has been made pretty much official that the SG franchise is dead (at least in any current form).
When SGU was canceled, they tried to strike a deal for a movie to wrap up that arc, which was shot down. In a last ditch effort, they even tried pitching a combined SG-1/SGA/SGU movie as a final send off, but that was also rejected.
From reading the basic outline of the SGA movie that was revealed, I don't think it would have been great, as the basic plot seemed pretty contrived, but I would have loved for them to make the SG-1 movie they had planned.

:(
That's a bummer to hear....You'd think that they could have scrounged up enough dough to do the combined movie send off as a 'Thank You' of sorts. Well I guess the only hope is that maybe another entity can purchase the rights to the Franchise? I have no knowledge of how that works or if it's even possible....or do I just have to get over the fact there may never be another Stargate encarnation?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #262 on: March 16, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »
That's a bummer to hear....You'd think that they could have scrounged up enough dough to do the combined movie send off as a 'Thank You' of sorts. Well I guess the only hope is that maybe another entity can purchase the rights to the Franchise? I have no knowledge of how that works or if it's even possible....or do I just have to get over the fact there may never be another Stargate encarnation?

I don't think anyone else could purchase the rights to the franchise. It would still make MGM a bit of money in syndication and sales, plus the movie too. I don't think we'll see another SG series in a while. I'm actually expecting they'll go the movie route if anything, which I'm against, because the movie isn't very good at all compared to the series, and they'd pretty much disregard the series entirely.
So it's probably about time to let go. :sadpanda:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #263 on: March 16, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »

I really, really enjoyed Smallville when it was airing. I stopped watching once Rosenbaum left as I have a complete heterosexual hard on for that man and his portrayal of Lex. There are definitely some major flaws now that I've gone back and rewatched a few seasons but for the most part its a very charming reiteration of the Superman story. Some very good memories with that show.

I would certainly recommend giving the last 3 seasons a go, as they tease Lex's return throughout until the finale when he comes back. There's also the Injustice League, Doomsday, Return of Zod and Darkseid story-lines.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #264 on: March 16, 2012, 12:31:04 PM »

I would certainly recommend giving the last 3 seasons a go, as they tease Lex's return throughout until the finale when he comes back. There's also the Injustice League, Doomsday, Return of Zod and Darkseid story-lines.

Well shit, that's just the tits right there. I had no idea about any of that, all of it sounds awesome! I just might do that this weekend with a bottle of scotch and a stumbling skip down memory lane.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #265 on: March 20, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »
The Walking Dead finale brought in over 9 million viewers.

That is a lot.  A huge amount for cable.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: March 20, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »
The Walking Dead finale brought in over 9 million viewers.

That is a lot.  A huge amount for cable.
:omg: Wow! With #'s like that I think we should get used to Rick and the gang for a while.......Holy Cow that's quite a draw. I guess the 'slow' beginning of the season at the farm didn't scare too many folk away? Maybe with that type of # AMC will reach into thier pockets and give back the 250k per episode they stole from the show to placate the ego's over at Mad Men.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #267 on: March 20, 2012, 10:36:42 AM »
Given that AMC controls production, I don't know what they'll do.  I think there's an obvious reason for the show's success, and it has nothing to do with its quality.

Offline GuineaPig

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #269 on: March 22, 2012, 02:11:38 PM »
This weeks Justified was dynomite!!  The actor playing Robert Quarles is just so damn creepy.  So many lines blurred makes for great TV.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #271 on: March 23, 2012, 07:04:39 PM »
Anyone watching 'Awake' on NBC? I haven't watched last nights episode yet but it's interesting. I have a feeling though that it's all being set up for him to just still be in a comma at the end of the day and neither his wife or son are dead. I forgot the actors name, but I really dig his work....he's good.

Yup, I've been watching and enjoying it. The premise is intriguing and it wil be interesting to see how they explain the two realities he is experiencing.

I've also watched the first two episodes of  the new Kiefer Sutherland show Touch. It looks promising too.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #273 on: March 23, 2012, 09:57:56 PM »
The Office continues to disintegrate before our very eyes.

It's sad, but unfortunately that's what happens to shows with no definite ending.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #274 on: March 24, 2012, 01:16:07 AM »
Yesterday I finished the first season of Lost, really good stuff.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #275 on: March 24, 2012, 07:42:33 AM »
One of the enduring legacies of Lost is now that every network drama must have some kind of supernatural twist.  In the last year there's been at least six of seven of them.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #276 on: March 24, 2012, 10:46:19 AM »
I think you can really blame/thank Lost for bringing serialized television to the forefront.  There were shows beforehand that were more than just a collection of vaguely connected episodes, but LOST was the first to reach critical mass.  Afterwards, it seems every show was about a MYSTERY and the slow, slow, gradual reveal of said mystery.  At first, I thought it was great, but now, I just wonder if it's going to be a passing fad and in a few years we'll be back to a predominant number of 'fat guys married to hot wives' or 'Police Procedural: Winnipeg' type shows.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #277 on: March 24, 2012, 11:07:08 AM »
I don't think Lost brought in serialization.  There are only a handful of network dramas that are serialized to some extent, but they're not at all like Lost (Parenthood and The Good Wife, for example).  Rather, Lost popularized the notion of "mythology"; that is, this supernatural backstory that individual episodes connect back into.  I wouldn't call that real serialization.  It's just an evolution of the way The X-Files and Buffy had loosely serialized plots.

Truly serialized dramas are still very much the province of cable.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #278 on: March 24, 2012, 02:55:28 PM »
Shows that I have watched and enjoyed recently.

The Wire (best of all time, needs to be required viewing for all humans... everywhere)
Six Feet Under
Deadwood (although I was certainly a bit put off by the Western setting)
Arrested Development
Lost
How I Met Your Mother
Game of Thrones
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Dexter (yes, I know it moves downhill pretty quick. I still find it to be quite entertaining)

Shows I'm interested in getting into
The Sopranos
Oz
The Shield
Big Love
Justified
Mad Men

Any suggestions?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #279 on: March 24, 2012, 03:03:54 PM »
My list of dramas, in order you should watch them:

1. Breaking Bad
2. Mad Men
3. The Sopranos
4. Justified
5. Homeland

The other ones you mentioned are good, more or less, but aren't in the top tier.