Author Topic: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened  (Read 148855 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened
« Reply #1750 on: February 28, 2015, 03:49:29 AM »
Am I right that the vikings are suppose to speak old norse and not english? Kind of weird the scenes between King Ecbert and Lagertha when she suddenly dosen't understand english and need Athelstan as interpreter.

Good episode overall and yea there's lots of tension building up. Will be an interesting season.

It gets a bit confusing with the constant switching of who we're hearing in English, but neither side actually spoke modern English.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1751 on: February 28, 2015, 04:35:03 PM »
I like it. It would clearly be better from a consistancy and authenticity viewpoint to have it all in old english and norse/swedish, but it would be a nightmare to develop, and for the actors to learn. I think their solution is rather clever and efficient.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1752 on: March 03, 2015, 09:59:52 AM »
So, did anyone else catch the first episode of Will Forte's The Last Man on Earth?

lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1753 on: March 03, 2015, 10:04:20 AM »
was it good? It's the first time in a while I've seen something that actually seems interesting on network TV.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1754 on: March 03, 2015, 12:15:56 PM »
was it good? It's the first time in a while I've seen something that actually seems interesting on network TV.
I laughed a lot, but it seems they have a lot of work to do to make a whole season out of it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #1755 on: March 03, 2015, 12:40:17 PM »
I laughed a lot, but it seems they have a lot of work to do to make a whole season out of it.

That was my reasoning behind not watching. After the first episode or two....where's the story?
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1756 on: March 03, 2015, 12:50:41 PM »
Yesterday I finished watching Parks and Recreation with tears in my eyes. One of the best comedies I've ever seen and probably one of the best shows overall. My life is better for having watched it and sadder now that it's ended.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1757 on: March 03, 2015, 12:54:01 PM »
Man I need to start watching that show.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1758 on: March 03, 2015, 03:06:26 PM »

That was my reasoning behind not watching. After the first episode or two....where's the story?
I don't know, but it's funny for now, so we'll see.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1759 on: March 03, 2015, 07:30:39 PM »
I kind of don't care. It's one of those shows where it's endearing enough where I'm just along for the ride.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1760 on: March 05, 2015, 08:11:56 PM »
Recently:

-Finished season 9 of Supernatural. Fun show. Yeah, after season 5 there is a difference but Sam and Dean rock that show. As well as Castiel and Crowley.
-Finished season 3 of House of Cards. Pretty good, I like where it's going. Weaker side of Frank has been a good exploration.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1761 on: March 05, 2015, 09:14:41 PM »
Recently:

-Finished season 9 of Supernatural. Fun show. Yeah, after season 5 there is a difference but Sam and Dean rock that show. As well as Castiel and Crowley.
Season 10 is awesome. I love it whenever they get biblical.

Edit: Actually, I guess the biblical stuff starts in 9.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1762 on: March 06, 2015, 10:14:35 AM »
DUSCUSSING SPECIFIC SCENES FROM THE LATEST VIKINGS BELOW

Last night's episode was great. I thought season 2 was good, but season 3 is really stepping it up.

The battle between the vikings and the brother's forces was cool, but it did not quite feel as powerful as it was probably supposed to since it came after one the best deaths of the show. But the battle had its moments as well.

And I really like King Ecbert, and it makes me sad that they are building something up to go horribly wrong there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: March 06, 2015, 10:22:52 AM »
That chick got her face slashed, which was probably the highlight of the battle (not because I'm sadistic, just because it was something new). It was a pretty cool death before that too.

And next week's preview was just "EVERYBODY DOES IT A LOT" :lol

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1764 on: March 06, 2015, 11:32:44 AM »
Yea great episode and my I also add that Judith (Jennie Jacques) is :zydar:!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1765 on: March 09, 2015, 02:22:29 PM »
Just finished Season 5 of Mad Men. Such a great show.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1766 on: March 11, 2015, 12:38:05 PM »
I thought season 2 was good, but season 3 is really stepping it up.

Yeah.....this season of Vikings really is just been one great episode after another. Although....if I do have a complaint it is about the relationship between Flokie and Ragnal. It seems each season we are led to believe that Flokie has had it with Ragnal and he's gonna go his way or gets all mad at him and then at the end of the season it's all like "I always trusted/loved you...blah blah blah." I won't mind what they are doing now with their relationship IF at the end of the season it isn't the same as before. If Flokie is fed up with Ragnal then let that be that but I can't take another make up session at the end of the season...that'll be lame in my eyes. It's a small criticism and about all i can see wrong with what is a fantastic Series.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1767 on: March 11, 2015, 08:31:28 PM »
So Vince Gilligan publicly asked people to stop throwing pizzas on the roof of the house used for the Whites' home. lol
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1768 on: March 13, 2015, 12:40:54 PM »
VIKINGS STUFF BELOW

Another great one. Two really good moments stood out. The quiet drunk conversation between Ecbert and Ragnar is the best thing Vikings has done in a long time, awesome scene. And when queen-whatserface poisoned her brother. The shots of her they got and when people threw their cups to the floor was so epic. That whole scene felt like a real moment one would read about in a history book or something.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1769 on: March 17, 2015, 08:00:09 PM »
Holy crap the "Flash" episode was unreal!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1770 on: March 17, 2015, 10:56:13 PM »
Just finished The Jinx. What an amazing show.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1771 on: March 18, 2015, 01:48:00 AM »
VIKINGS STUFF BELOW

Another great one. Two really good moments stood out. The quiet drunk conversation between Ecbert and Ragnar is the best thing Vikings has done in a long time, awesome scene. And when queen-whatserface poisoned her brother. The shots of her they got and when people threw their cups to the floor was so epic. That whole scene felt like a real moment one would read about in a history book or something.

When she was talking with her brother about how much she loved him, I thought for a moment they were going to get all freaky and incestual (after all, everyone else was screwing all episode :lol ), but then she tipped out the wine. I guess she didn't forgive him. :biggrin:

Did anyone else find it odd that suddenly Lagertha and Eckbert can fluently speak the same language? (I assume they're speaking Eckbert's language there) She must be a really really quick study.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1772 on: March 18, 2015, 10:17:49 AM »
Did anyone else find it odd that suddenly Lagertha and Eckbert can fluently speak the same language? (I assume they're speaking Eckbert's language there) She must be a really really quick study.

Yeah I noticed that, even thought about it a bit today at work actually. I guess they didn't have the energy to drag the language thing out more, and I can understand that, but it did stand out as an overall unimportant negative.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1773 on: March 18, 2015, 10:24:01 AM »

Yeah I noticed that, even thought about it a bit today at work actually. I guess they didn't have the energy to drag the language thing out more, and I can understand that, but it did stand out as an overall unimportant negative.

It's my impression that she's (they all) have been there a while....probably a few months. Maybe long enough to learn an entire new language  :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1774 on: March 18, 2015, 10:25:05 AM »

The constantly switching languages and random subtitles did get tedious at times, so I'm fine with them being done with that transition, it just threw me off a bit given the short span of time that has passed since she could barely understand him. Not a big deal, just thought it was worth mentioning.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1775 on: March 18, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »
It's my impression that she's (they all) have been there a while....probably a few months. Maybe long enough to learn an entire new language  :lol

The summer months may be enough to learn words and basic sentance structure, but in no way is it enough for an adult to learn a compltely new language fluently in that time.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1776 on: March 18, 2015, 02:54:38 PM »
Start new ones for specific shows.  One giant thread for all of them is annoying.    :sosayweall:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."