Author Topic: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened  (Read 150041 times)

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
Re: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened
« Reply #210 on: March 02, 2012, 02:02:00 AM »
I LOVE ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT SO FUCKING MUCH.

Youuuuuu aaaaare a crook Captain Hook
Judge, won't you throw the book at the piraaaaate!
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #212 on: March 02, 2012, 06:53:38 AM »
It never did well in the ratings department.  They were lucky to get as far as they did.

Yeah and that's too bad people haven't caught on.

Weighing in as a fan.  I think it was on the verge of getting toasted last year, wasn't it? Hopefully it keeps going, but if not, then I at least hope the writers don't finish it with cliffhanger.  Don't know who was a fan of Jericho a few years back, but that was a big WTF! when it got cancelled with a massive cliffhanger.  Fortunately fan outrage was enough to get them to write a few more episode's to tie things up.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2012, 03:35:14 PM »
The scene in Arrested Development where GOB does his magic show and gets rid of the yacht is quite possibly the best thing ever made. Final Countdown doesn't make it any worse either.  :rollin :rollin

Offline GuineaPig

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #216 on: March 05, 2012, 07:00:48 PM »
Come April, the shows Community, Parks and Recreation, Mad Men, Game of Thrones, Justified,  and several worthy others will be airing at the same time.

We live in a golden age, people.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #217 on: March 05, 2012, 07:03:18 PM »
You know what television is sorely lacking? A very good space set sci-fi show. Every sci-fi show now adays takes place on earth it seems, which is cool but I miss space set shows.

Stargate SGU was superb quality, but of course got canceled after 2 years because it decided to focus more on characters, atmosphere and a long arching plot rather than lots of action and humor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #218 on: March 05, 2012, 07:07:30 PM »
You know what television is sorely lacking? A very good space set sci-fi show. Every sci-fi show now adays takes place on earth it seems, which is cool but I miss space set shows.

Stargate SGU was superb quality, but of course got canceled after 2 years because it decided to focus more on characters, atmosphere and a long arching plot rather than lots of action and humor.

I imagine we'll see another one once people stop trying to profit off the corpse of Battlestar Galactica, and someone comes up with an original idea.

It's definitely been proved that there's an audience for a good show like that.

Online Adami

« Reply #219 on: March 05, 2012, 07:12:20 PM »
I will admit that BSG pretty much kicked the genre in the nuts and said "YOU CAN'T DO THIS BETTER THAN ME", which is true. Despite your feelings about the 4th season, which we don't need to hear again.

But yea, I'd love another Star Trek, or Stargate or some other TV show set in space. My favorites are when they're not self contained episodes, but one huge story. Much like BSG, most of the last 3 seasons of DS9, and Stargate Universe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #220 on: March 05, 2012, 07:20:50 PM »
Are there even any good scifi shows on right now, regardless of setting?
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #221 on: March 05, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
I will admit that BSG pretty much kicked the genre in the nuts and said "YOU CAN'T DO THIS BETTER THAN ME", which is true. Despite your feelings about the 4th season, which we don't need to hear again.

But yea, I'd love another Star Trek, or Stargate or some other TV show set in space. My favorites are when they're not self contained episodes, but one huge story. Much like BSG, most of the last 3 seasons of DS9, and Stargate Universe.

My bet is that a great new sci-fi show comes to HBO in the next decade.

HBO wants to collect all of the "greatest show in genre x" awards (they've already got mob, Western, cop, historical fiction, and are currently gunning for fantasy), so I wouldn't be surprised if a sci-fi show with the HBO brand gets done.

Are there even any good scifi shows on right now, regardless of setting?

Fringe is pretty good.  Takes a while to really get going, though.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #222 on: March 05, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »
Yeah I should really catch up on Fringe, I totally lost track of it halfway through season 2.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: March 05, 2012, 07:41:23 PM »
You do need to catch up. Season 3 is really good and has some of the best episodes of the show. And season 4 so far has been amazing too.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #224 on: March 05, 2012, 07:51:26 PM »
Vulture's running a bracket style tournament of the best TV dramas of the past 25 years. 

The brackets are as follows:

West

1. The Sopranos
8. Six Feet Under

4. The Shield
5. NYPD Blue

2. Breaking Bad
7. Friday Night Lights

3. Twin Peaks
6. Battlestar Galactica

East

1. The Wire
8. My So-Called Life

4. The X-Files
5. The West Wing

2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
7. Deadwood

3. Mad Men
6. Lost

Results of the first match-up are here.  Interesting (and I would say, much better than voting) approach: have a single individual decide the results.  Potential for some upsets, I suppose. 

EDIT: I think they did a good job of seeding.  The really strange placement, imo, is Buffy.  Would've figured the top 4 would be all Great Dramas, with the leftover being a #3.  Instead, Deadwood's a #7.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 10:23:33 AM by GuineaPig »

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #225 on: March 05, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »
Really... no one here watches "Once Upon a Time?" I could understand no one watching Todd Margret, but this show i feel is very well written aswell as has a huge audience.

Online Adami

« Reply #226 on: March 05, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
Really... no one here watches "Once Upon a Time?" I could understand no one watching Todd Margret, but this show i feel is very well written aswell as has a huge audience.

I do. Sadly the show only has one thing going for it, and that's Robert Carlyle. The rest isn't...............the worst TV ever, but it's usually pointless unless he's in it. I was getting ready to stop watching the show until the did they Beauty and The Beast episode and holy crap was Robert Carlyle amazing in that. So I keep watching, hoping for more of him. The rest of the show is getting WAY too cliche and predictable. They have essentially 1 or 2 mysteries which don't seem very important anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2012, 08:23:17 PM »

:heart Todd Margaret
Photobucket sucks.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2012, 09:37:03 PM »
I have a ton of Todd Margret recorded... just haven't gotten around to watching!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2012, 09:43:50 PM »
I saw the premiere, but it didn't grab me enough to continue watching it. Even though it has Jennifer Morrison.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #230 on: March 05, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »

The reason is because networks won't put the money into real scifi anymore, because they're more niche shows, and they're riskier, and the space ones cost a lot because of the huge sets, and the new settings every week.

Unfortunately SGU got off to an awful start, and it was only right near the end that it got amazing. If it had started at that level of quality, it would have done a lot better.

And it looks like CBS are extremely reluctant to start a new Trek series, because the offers have been pouring in constantly from everyone. I'm guessing they're waiting for the movie series to run its course first, although personally I'd want to capitalize on that. It's good to know they're not out to just make a quick buck on it though.

If SyFy ever decide to get moving, the new BSG thing should air at some point in our life times, but I don't think anyone knows what's going to happen with that yet (I don't like BSG anyway, so I don't care).

The only scifi shows on TV worth watching right now for me are Warehouse 13 and Sanctuary.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: March 06, 2012, 02:31:56 AM »
This guy is playing young Commander Adama. I got douche alert similar to the one I got about the new Spiderman actor, I can now see that I always get that douche vibe from people with that specific hair style.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: March 06, 2012, 02:38:57 AM »
Isn't that basically a Beiber bowl? That definitely raises a red flag on my douche radar. Parents - if your kid is over the age of 10 and has this haircut, you have failed as a parent.

Online Adami

« Reply #233 on: March 06, 2012, 09:21:12 AM »
This guy is playing young Commander Adama. I got douche alert similar to the one I got about the new Spiderman actor, I can now see that I always get that douche vibe from people with that specific hair style.

He's actually a good actor, I saw him in the british show Skins and he was quite good. Of course I doubt this show will ever get off the ground.

Also blob, SGU had been amazing quality from start to finish, it just got better with time.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #234 on: March 06, 2012, 09:25:19 AM »
Also blob, SGU had been amazing quality from start to finish, it just got better with time.

I thought it started off kinda average, although there were awesome moments (Time is one of my favourite episodes ever), and S2 got better and better. I wouldn't say it started out amazing by any stretch, but it certainly was by the time they finished.

Online Adami

« Reply #235 on: March 06, 2012, 09:43:37 AM »

I thought it started off kinda average, although there were awesome moments (Time is one of my favourite episodes ever), and S2 got better and better. I wouldn't say it started out amazing by any stretch, but it certainly was by the time they finished.

Then we'll just agree to disagree you bleedin kangaroo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:23 AM »

Then we'll just agree to disagree you bleedin kangaroo.

Very well then, you....... you......... aw I got nothin'. We'll just have to agree for more awesome scifi on TV.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #237 on: March 06, 2012, 01:57:05 PM »
Justified was renewed.  Terra Nova was cancelled.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #239 on: March 06, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
I think online polls are stupid.  They get corrupted by whichever side posts that link on as many fan forums as possible.

But that's not a bad match-up.  Although "Marge vs. the Monorail" should be the clear winner.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: March 06, 2012, 02:22:31 PM »
Pretty much.

That being said, I voted for Marge Vs. the Monorail.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #241 on: March 06, 2012, 05:16:13 PM »
If they were putting up a Community episode how did "Modern Warfare" not get picked? I've never seen a more brilliantly executed sitcom episode in my life.

EDIT: Oh, it's in another bracket.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #242 on: March 06, 2012, 05:22:01 PM »
If they were putting up a Community episode how did "Modern Warfare" not get picked? I've never seen a more brilliantly executed sitcom episode in my life.

Yes, that is one of my favorite episodes of all the dimensions.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #243 on: March 07, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »
Here's a suggestion for fans of sketch comedy: Key and Peele is the best sketch show in a while.  Very enjoyable.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #244 on: March 07, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »
Guy on another forum I'm on directs that show.