Author Topic: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened  (Read 148860 times)

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official TV Thread v. It Finally Happened
« Reply #105 on: January 20, 2012, 12:52:32 PM »
I don't watch TV too often, but my favorite shows over my life have been

Invader Zim
Numb3rs
Doctor Who
Sherlock

lolcartoons again.

Oh, and I do love Seinfeld. Unfortunately, I haven't seen very much of it because it's not on TV much anymore and Netflix doesn't stream it.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #106 on: January 20, 2012, 12:53:00 PM »

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2012, 12:55:11 PM »
<3

Sure the FBI part of it was pretty standard, but I loved the first couple seasons when the math seemed like a big part of the show. Unfortunately the show kind of...trickled off and died with a whimper.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
Yeah...I never ended up finishing watching it. Even though it was unrealistic, I thought it was very entertaining and the math (obviously for me) was cool

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #109 on: January 20, 2012, 02:44:54 PM »
Anyone watch Portlandia? I watched the first episode not knowing what it was about and it was really...weird. Kinda funny though.
Portlandia is pretty funny. They sometimes drag jokes out waaaaay too much, but usually it's pretty entertaining.

Oh and I just watched all of Party Down over three days. Is there going to be a 3rd season? I hope so!

Man, I've been wishing for that third season since it was cancelled but there's no coming back from that. The cast seemed to have moved on and aside from the heartwarming Children's Hospital shtick, I doubt we'll ever see the crew again. Which is so god damn sad cause those two seasons are probably my most watched comedy television series despite a mere twenty episodes. Such an amazing series cut waaaay too short.

Considering its viewers by the end of the second season were in the tens of thousands, there is not going to be another season.
Aw, that sucks.

Guess I can only blame myself, considering I'm watching it, what, two years too late?

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2012, 09:50:26 AM »
Invader Zim
I own all the episodes of both of these shows <3 I once dedicated an entire weekend to watching every episode of avatar again, and, it was awesome :D

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2012, 01:31:56 PM »
I watched the first episode of State of Play today.  Very good.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Kosmo

« Reply #112 on: January 24, 2012, 01:56:11 PM »
I was so happy to find out that Louis C.K has a tv show, Louie is amazing.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 24, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »
Invader Zim
I own all the episodes of both of these shows <3 I once dedicated an entire weekend to watching every episode of avatar again, and, it was awesome :D

It really is a great show. I can't wait for the sequel. The leaked clips Legend of Korra look absolutely stunning.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: January 26, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
New episode of Archer tonight!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #115 on: January 26, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »
I hate Dexter so much. So very much... It's everything I abhor about most television series. Anyway...

Tell me more, tell me more.

My brother has been trying to get me to watch this show and I just keep putting it off. Kinda scared that he's over hyped it. What is it exactly that you don't like, without spoiling anything if that's possible.

Anyway, I bought every season of The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air for $10 each. I love this show.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #116 on: January 26, 2012, 02:30:26 PM »
There are several problems with Dexter: the plot is predictable, the characters other than the central one are almost uniformly bad, and it tends to treat its audience like they're dumb (really obvious, overwrought symbolism, over-expository narration).

I stopped watching after two seasons, and apparently it's only gotten much, much worse.  Some TV critic described it as a show that mimics the other Great Dramas (central anti-hero, cable content, generally more serious and "edgy" tone) without actually being great itself, and I think that's a pretty good description. 

There are plenty of other shows you should watch before you ever get to it, imo.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #117 on: January 26, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »
There are several problems with Dexter: the plot is predictable, the characters other than the central one are almost uniformly bad, and it tends to treat its audience like they're dumb (really obvious, overwrought symbolism, over-expository narration).

I stopped watching after two seasons, and apparently it's only gotten much, much worse.  Some TV critic described it as a show that mimics the other Great Dramas (central anti-hero, cable content, generally more serious and "edgy" tone) without actually being great itself, and I think that's a pretty good description. 

There are plenty of other shows you should watch before you ever get to it, imo.

Like Fresh Prince! :zook2:

Yeah I'd rather watch old shows I've seen a million times than check out new ones.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #118 on: January 26, 2012, 02:35:54 PM »
It was a really enjoyable show for the first few seasons (1, 2, and 4 specifically), though I won't deny any of the flaws GP pointed out.

But yeah, it's basically imploded in a complete shitfest in the last two seasons.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #119 on: January 26, 2012, 02:43:40 PM »

Yeah I'd rather watch old shows I've seen a million times than check out new ones.

The television of the '00s and '10s slaughters anything that came before it.  You're missing out on a lot of great TV if you don't watch any relatively new stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #120 on: January 26, 2012, 02:44:01 PM »
Man I just love the dialogue between Raylan Givens & Boyd Crowder on Justified.  Such a cat and mouse game.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Kosmo

« Reply #121 on: January 26, 2012, 02:44:11 PM »
House's new season is fucking horrible.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #122 on: January 26, 2012, 02:45:12 PM »

The television of the '00s and '10s slaughters anything that came before it.  You're missing out on a lot of great TV if you don't watch any relatively new stuff.

TV really isn't that important to me anymore.

Offline theliloutkast

« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2012, 02:46:56 PM »
Invader Zim

It really is a great show. I can't wait for the sequel. The leaked clips Legend of Korra look absolutely stunning.

I avoid "leaked" anything as a rule of thumb, not because of any morale reasosn but because when I see something for the first time I want it to be as the artists intended :)

I think it's decent, not great, and not nearly as good as hoped for the last, but not horrible.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2012, 02:50:16 PM »
I hate Dexter so much. So very much... It's everything I abhor about most television series. Anyway...

Tell me more, tell me more.

My brother has been trying to get me to watch this show and I just keep putting it off. Kinda scared that he's over hyped it. What is it exactly that you don't like, without spoiling anything if that's possible.

Anyway, I bought every season of The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air for $10 each. I love this show.

Mainly, the convoluted storyline; the show starts out fairly interesting despite one fairly annoying issue (which I'll touch on in a second), but is quickly forgotten because it is in fact intriguing and entertaining...till the story arcs pile up with so many useless characters I couldn't care less about that detract from the central character, Dexter, and the fact that by Season 4 there's so many overlapping arcs that the original draw of the show is completely buried underneath a pile of secondary characters and side-stories that quite frankly should be brutally murdered Dexter-style. Season 1 is great, season 2 is alright but by the end of it anyone that isn't blindly enamored by show by then will start to wonder where it's going and by the middle-beginning of season 4 I was daydreaming about what I should have for dinner in the middle of an episode.

The second glaring issue is the acting. I could put up with the massive amounts of all natural cheddar cheese oozing out of every pore of Dexter given that Michael C. Hall isn't exactly a well-rounded actor and this was his first major series as a central main character; that was fine in Season 1, but I expected him to come into his own and develop some kind of staple aside from proclaiming in the most corny of soap-opera dialogue "...I'm Dexter!" as he narrates his past. But he didn't, not one bit; and that's the titular character for crying out loud. The secondary characters drone on as if they're in some high-school play. Doakes, a central secondary character for quite a while (I stopped watching the show by the near-ending of Season 4, by the bye) is so flat, so predictable that the fact that he is for a good portion of the first few arcs of the show the only person who is close enough to Dexter to tell 'what he is' baffled me; all of this explained by Dexter in the most mundane of ways and then left to rot. Dexter's sister, Debbie... Well, I've done enough ragging on the characters, but I'll say that she was the nail in the coffin for this show. In the beginning, she was actually quite interesting to watch, seeing her relationship develop with a certain character (one that is the one of the only decent actors) I'll not name that climaxes in a beautiful way; but given that in the four seasons of the show I watched this was the highest point, doesn't bode well for the rest of the characters.

Those two complaints made the show very hard to watch for me given that a television series needs to have those two exact things to keep a viewer interested. It can be flashy, exciting and all kinds of badass, which Dexter very much is during it's beginning years; but if I don't give two shits about the multiple story arcs the show is setting up along with cringing every time a character opens their mouth for a drawn-out monologue or narration for a fairly neat little backstory that ends up going nowhere...there's little hope it will hook me for long. Dexter is more than likely the most annoying, shallow, poorly written show on television today if you ask me (which sadly you did); made even worse by the hordes of fans that praise it for reasons I clearly cannot understand. If you're looking for some blood, a storyline that flares up like a match-just-lit but burns out just as quickly, then Dexter will entertain you. But be warned, by the middle of Season 4 you'll be wondering what the show has been doing all along, setting up something that it inevitably throws away in favor for something that is so laughably uncharacteristic of the show's forerunner, it's almost as if the writers decided to have the 'Dexter' that we know and love in the first handful of seasons commit suicide in favor of a completely different entity altogether.

Er... Sorry for the "I'MMA REVIEWER!" essay but I had to get that off my chest after hearing my friends fawn over it like a cult for every season until I fell off the bandwagon and had a much better time sticking my scrotum with a soldering iron. It is by far and away the most overly hyped, overly praised television series I've ever had the displeasure of sitting through. Michael C. Hall is just...horridly one-sided; the man may as well be a cut-out cardboard standee because everything I've seen him in is the exact same and so cheesy it makes me want to dispose of every single Kraft Mac-N-Cheese packet I can get my hands on. Okay, I'm done. Watch this if you're sick and bored but be warned that by the time season 4 rolls around you'll be wondering what kind of schizo coke-head got his hands on the rights to the series.

Yes, this show needs to be put out of its misery. Which I hate hearing myself say (shutupIsaiditasIdypedit) because Hugh Laurie is a wonderful actor when given the chance and the storyline up until Season 6 was magnificent but the writers have just...I don't know what happened, but they either stopped caring or aren't being paid enough to any longer because the show is all over the place now. Also, without Lisa Edelstein I can't fap it anymore while enjoying a dose of Vicodin and misogynistic viewpoints while simultaneously badassly debunking unsolvable cases. It's just crap. I'll finish it because I'm a huge Laurie fan and would at least like to see how they end it all but... It's sad.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 03:05:13 PM by TioJorge »

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
"I'MMA REVIEWER!" essay

Thanks for the info :tup

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #126 on: January 26, 2012, 03:21:15 PM »
"I'MMA REVIEWER!" essay

Thanks for the info :tup

:P Yep! Now I shall never speak of said show again. *Sigh of relief*

Man I just love the dialogue between Raylan Givens & Boyd Crowder on Justified.  Such a cat and mouse game.

Yes! I really like this show. I was afraid it was going to go off on a tangent between Givens and..I forgot her name, but the bitch that is with Boyd now; I figured it'd go all romance on us but thank Grog it didn't. Still a slight chance of that with Ex-Miss Givens now-about-to-be Miss Givens again but I'm hoping it will continue to be a side-story and stick with the guns a'blazing and Givens getting into trouble with his superiors because he's killed too many people. Killing is good. Love is shit. And boring.

RIP DTP.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #127 on: January 26, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »
My theory for the fan hate on Winona and Ava is that all men who watch Justified are subconsciously attracted to Timothy Olyphant, and are thus furiously jealous of any female character who gets near him.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #128 on: January 26, 2012, 03:32:22 PM »
 :rollin

Y'know I think I both support and am victim to that theory considering the two men I will openly and gladly admit to having a man-crush on are him and Christian Bale (okay and Alexander Skarsgard but I don't want my sexuality being que-...too late). They're both all kinds of immense manliness with a touch of a badassery.

RIP DTP.

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: January 26, 2012, 04:51:10 PM »
Really enjoying Peep Show so far. Don't know why I thought I wouldn't like it.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: January 26, 2012, 06:35:41 PM »
Mainly, the convoluted storyline; the show starts out fairly interesting despite one fairly annoying issue (which I'll touch on in a second), but is quickly forgotten because it is in fact intriguing and entertaining...till the story arcs pile up with so many useless characters I couldn't care less about that detract from the central character, Dexter, and the fact that by Season 4 there's so many overlapping arcs that the original draw of the show is completely buried underneath a pile of secondary characters and side-stories that quite frankly should be brutally murdered Dexter-style. Season 1 is great, season 2 is alright but by the end of it anyone that isn't blindly enamored by show by then will start to wonder where it's going and by the middle-beginning of season 4 I was daydreaming about what I should have for dinner in the middle of an episode.

Well put and even though John Lithgow was decent in the show it didn't really elevate it to the "BUT BUT JOHN LITHGOW HOLY SHIT" levels some people talk about. How the writers handled side characters like Bautista and Laguerta in the 4th or 5th season with the whole marriage thing to the point where they were downright useless really goes to show how many holes the show has. First and Second season were great popcorn watches. The rest? Meh.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #131 on: January 26, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
I'm watching Sons of Anarchy for the first time, and I think I want to put season 2 up with my other all time favorite seaons of television... just so awesome :hat
Photobucket sucks.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #132 on: January 27, 2012, 07:08:29 AM »
Fantastic Archer episode last night.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #133 on: January 27, 2012, 07:29:46 AM »
Definitely better than last week's episode. With the Stargate and Decepticon references, I could swear that episode was written by me. :lol
And I always love seeing more Krieger. Best character ever.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #134 on: January 27, 2012, 07:33:22 AM »
I'm watching Sons of Anarchy for the first time, and I think I want to put season 2 up with my other all time favorite seaons of television... just so awesome :hat
I agree, watched Seasons 1-3 on DVD earlier this month and Season 2 was amazing.

Last night I finished Boardwalk Empire Season 1 on Blu-ray, I really enjoyed it, it was well worth the wait. Anyone else watch this?

Next thing I will be starting is Breaking Bad. It has some hype around it but not always from trustworthy sources (anyone who says something else is "The greatest TV show ever" generally hasn't seen The Wire) so I'm cautiously optimistic that it could be something great. I don't quite expect it to beat the two shows mentioned above that were in my recent haul though.

Incidentally, after watching what Breaking Bad I've got (seasons 1 and 2) I'll be starting another watch of The Wire. It will be the first time my girlfriend watches it, unsure how it will go down... but she did love The Shield and The Sopranos and has enjoyed other TV shows that we both were watching for the first time (like the ones mentioned above) just as much as me, so I'm hopeful for The Wire.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #135 on: January 27, 2012, 07:41:15 AM »
Breaking Bad may be the best drama that's on TV currently, top notch show.

I also enjoyed Archer last night, though I think I prefer last week's episode. Just getting into the show though, started watching with the 3 part special from a few months ago. I'll eventually circle back and watch the earlier seasons.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #136 on: January 27, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »
Breaking Bad may be the best drama that's on TV currently, top notch show.

I also enjoyed Archer last night, though I think I prefer last week's episode. Just getting into the show though, started watching with the 3 part special from a few months ago. I'll eventually circle back and watch the earlier seasons.

You probably should've started from the beginning.  Archer isn't exactly serialized, but there's a continuity to the dialogue that is perhaps unlike any other comedy ever made.  People in the show speak a certain way, and a lot of the jokes come from it.  It's mostly because all the episodes are written by one guy, which is unprecedented for an animated comedy.

Kosmo

« Reply #137 on: January 27, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »
Done with Louie for now, new season this year though!

Now to look for a new show.  :laugh:

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #138 on: January 27, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »
Oh man that was an amazing episode. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BLOCK THE EXITS

Yeah Bill, definitely go and start from the beginning, there's a shitload of inside jokes and continuity in the dialogue.

there's a continuity to the dialogue that is perhaps unlike any other comedy ever made. 

If you've ever seen Frisky Dingo, it's the exact same way, and some of the jokes from that are actually carried into Archer (like  'hostile work environment')

The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #139 on: January 27, 2012, 07:17:12 PM »

there's a continuity to the dialogue that is perhaps unlike any other comedy ever made. 

If you've ever seen Frisky Dingo, it's the exact same way, and some of the jokes from that are actually carried into Archer (like  'hostile work environment')

WHAT THE HELL DAMN GUY made its second appearance in Archer.