Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 582880 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2800 on: December 10, 2014, 08:27:19 AM »
I can't say that I ever understood the hub bub for Magica. Good album, but I felt Killing the Dragon was much better

I have found that Majica has aged fairly well for me. That said, I was still extremely disappointed with it. I toyed with the idea of doing a  favorite Dio song countdown so I have a list compiled. I think there are 3 songs from Magica on it, but I don't think there's anything from KTD.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2801 on: December 10, 2014, 08:51:48 AM »
Never got into Magica either. Killing The Dragon is a really solid album though, and the title track is one of my favourite Dio songs.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2802 on: December 10, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »
I can't see it happening but I'd love to see him get together with Kelly Hansen again and do a rockin' Hurricane album - get Kelly out of his Foreigner comfort zone.   To me that would be a one off project worth hearing.

I'd go for this too. Slave To The Thrill is a great aalbum that just missed out on my top 50.

As for DIO, I really didn't like anything after Dream Evil, though KTD was better than Magica.Such a shit concept that one, but gave Luca Turilli a great deal of inspiration  :biggrin:

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2803 on: December 10, 2014, 03:21:11 PM »
We were talking about Lynch Mob in one of these threads but can't find it now. I said that Smoke & Mirrors was crap- I was mixing it up with Smoke This (which is crap). S&M is actually a really good album.
The old memory isn't what it was.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2804 on: December 10, 2014, 10:49:54 PM »
Gotta get that Smoke and Mirrors cd out again then.

Also, I was a big fan of Magica.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2805 on: December 11, 2014, 08:54:11 AM »
Seeing as we're talking Lynch Mob - the latest (Sun Red Sun) is just out.   Whether I recommend you buy it probably depends on if you already have the Sound Mountain Sessions EP.

The disc seems to be getting great reviews but (as a big fan) I'm not so over the moon.  The disc has 11 tracks - one of which is an instrumental intro, 4 of which had already been released on the EP (remastered here) and so there's really only 6 new songs.  Of those I'd rate one as excellent (track 1) , 2 more as good and 3 as filler.    The EP tracks are all good to excellent.

So if you already have the EP...............I'd probably just download track one.

Rating: 76% which is basically made up of the Sound Mountain stuff (85%) and the rest (70%)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2806 on: December 11, 2014, 02:44:33 PM »
I'll definitely listen to the Lynch Mob before I purchase.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2807 on: December 11, 2014, 09:21:13 PM »
New Whitesnake album coming next year, tentative late March/early April 2015 release. Hopefully it doesn't completely suck without Aldrich.

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/david-coverdale-on-new-whitesnake-guitarist-joel-hoekstra-hes-incendiary-an-amazing-musician/

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2808 on: December 12, 2014, 04:17:13 AM »
What's David got against Reb? You'd think after 10 years, he'd become the main man, guess not.  Just because he doesn't look or sound like Sykes?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2809 on: December 12, 2014, 04:22:09 AM »
Reb Beach has been in the band for over a decade, probably longer than anyone else at this point, so I'd say Coverdale has nothing at all against him. In terms of songwriting, he may not want to be part of it. I don't see an issue.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2810 on: December 12, 2014, 04:34:34 AM »
Reb Beach has been in the band for over a decade, probably longer than anyone else at this point, so I'd say Coverdale has nothing at all against him. In terms of songwriting, he may not want to be part of it. I don't see an issue.

I know he obviously has nothing against him and always talks Reb up.  Perhaps their songwriting styles don't mix or something, I don't know.  Will be interesting to hear the new record and Joel's influences.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2812 on: December 12, 2014, 07:06:15 AM »
The Eclipse sounds even more predictable than I expected.  Aside from a track or two I felt that Bleed and Scream was massively overrated in most quarters and Martensson's whole sound is like a hard rock Work of Art. Sounds good but rather one dimensional and samey.   

Ironically the only material of his that I find consistently well written is outside of his own band on side projects like Hitchcock, Jamison.  I'll check out the new Eclipse but I'd be surprised if I like more than a couple of tracks.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2813 on: December 12, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »
I didn't even listen to it. Haven't been much interested in their past releases, and I gave those albums more than a fair chance. They're not bad, but I agree they're overrated.

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2814 on: December 12, 2014, 07:12:01 AM »
So what about this one guys?...........99%  ;D

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2815 on: December 12, 2014, 01:34:42 PM »
The Eclipse sounds even more predictable than I expected.  Aside from a track or two I felt that Bleed and Scream was massively overrated in most quarters and Martensson's whole sound is like a hard rock Work of Art. Sounds good but rather one dimensional and samey.   

Ironically the only material of his that I find consistently well written is outside of his own band on side projects like Hitchcock, Jamison.  I'll check out the new Eclipse but I'd be surprised if I like more than a couple of tracks.

This is what I'm fearing too.  I really loved Bleed and Scream and when it was released, and I wouldn't say it was that overrated, but it hasn't aged that well for me. I enjoy it when I listen and the songs IMO are there, but it doesn't have the charm and lasting power like the other projects you mentioned from Erik.  I'm fearing this one even for me will just pass by after a few listens.

So what about this one guys?...........99%  ;D

I like that number too.

I see the new Billy Idol got a 93, but the song I heard from it was absolute garbage. 

The Nigel Bailey which I'm interested in getting got 82.  Surely it can't be worse than The Great Divide.  :lol  Have you had a listen to this one Brent?  The Three Lions album was nothing spectacular but seems to be something I can go back to and quite enjoy from time to time.  His voice doesn't have much variety, but certainly has a nice tone.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2816 on: December 12, 2014, 03:27:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djkoHA84r4k

For you Crazy Lixx fans.  This band never really did anything for me, but this is pretty good.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2817 on: December 12, 2014, 03:35:07 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djkoHA84r4k

For you Crazy Lixx fans.  This band never really did anything for me, but this is pretty good.

decent

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2818 on: December 12, 2014, 03:55:28 PM »
The Billy Idol was complete shite.

Crazy Lixx are excellent and the new album is pretty good far better than the last. It's no New Religion but back in the right direction. Had Chris Laney produced and not just mixed it , it would have been even better. That guy just gets it.

Not heard the Bailey yet. 3 Lions didn't do much for me.

Just listening to the Harem Scarem and it sounds good.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2819 on: December 12, 2014, 04:39:04 PM »
The Billy Idol was complete shite.

Crazy Lixx are excellent and the new album is pretty good far better than the last. It's no New Religion but back in the right direction. Had Chris Laney produced and not just mixed it , it would have been even better. That guy just gets it.

Not heard the Bailey yet. 3 Lions didn't do much for me.

Just listening to the Harem Scarem and it sounds good.

That's what I thought about the Billy Idol.

Might have to go back and check out some more Crazt Lixx as that song was really solid. 

Three Lions at first was unspectacular but it grew on me over time.  Not the greatest album, but solid material throughout.

Will purchase the Harem Scarem regardless I think.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2820 on: December 12, 2014, 05:52:05 PM »
I've only spun the HS twice (so much good music in the last month).  Gotta give it another go.  I was much more impressed with it than the first samples suggested.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2821 on: December 14, 2014, 03:30:07 AM »
I've only spun the HS twice (so much good music in the last month).  Gotta give it another go.  I was much more impressed with it than the first samples suggested.

That's good to hear.  I'm about to order it.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2822 on: December 14, 2014, 04:19:17 AM »
Just orderded;

Ten - Albion
Harem Scarem - Thirteen
Bailey - Long Way Down
Rated X - Rated X
Nightingale - Retribution
Whitesnake - New 84 live CD/DVD

Man, this is my first real haul for a while, getting pretty cheap and picky.  :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2823 on: December 14, 2014, 05:51:28 AM »
Just orderded;

Ten - Albion
Harem Scarem - Thirteen
Bailey - Long Way Down
Rated X - Rated X

Man, this is my first real haul for a while, getting pretty cheap and picky.  :lol

Nightingale was excellent.  Especially good for me because Swano keeps it clean.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2824 on: December 14, 2014, 06:15:24 AM »
That live Whitesnake sounds good, keep us updated with that one

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2825 on: December 14, 2014, 06:17:03 AM »
That live Whitesnake sounds good, keep us updated with that one
I actually ordered that yesterday myself!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2826 on: December 14, 2014, 06:39:13 AM »
I haven't listened to the Whitesnake myself but it's been getting pretty poor reviews.  Will try and check it out soonish.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2827 on: December 15, 2014, 04:22:43 AM »
Just orderded;

Ten - Albion
Harem Scarem - Thirteen
Bailey - Long Way Down
Rated X - Rated X

Nightingale was excellent.  Especially good for me because Swano keeps it clean.

Didn't know you have looked into Nightingale.  Pretty much all their vocals are clean and all their work is pretty solid.

I haven't listened to the Whitesnake myself but it's been getting pretty poor reviews.  Will try and check it out soonish.

Damn.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #2828 on: December 15, 2014, 07:10:31 PM »
Anybody catch the new Revolution Saints Track from last week? Super catchy, I'm really digging it.

"Turn Back Time"

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2829 on: December 15, 2014, 07:49:03 PM »
Yeah, we linked and discussed that on the last page.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2830 on: December 16, 2014, 06:31:23 AM »
In my Christmas haul, I ordered Stryper's Live At The Whiskey. The samples sounded great. Haven't bought a Stryper album since the mid 80's!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2831 on: December 16, 2014, 09:36:29 AM »
In my Christmas haul, I ordered Stryper's Live At The Whiskey. The samples sounded great. Haven't bought a Stryper album since the mid 80's!

Tim, what year is that tour from?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2832 on: December 16, 2014, 09:40:03 AM »

Tim, what year is that tour from?

Last year.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2833 on: December 16, 2014, 10:49:04 AM »

great cd/dvd...........sweet is a fantastic frontman

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2834 on: December 16, 2014, 01:38:47 PM »

I'm really enjoying this DVD.  I have a bit of a man crush of Sweet.  I wish he'd do more of the high stuff live though.

Second Coming I am enjoying more and more and seem to be getting more comfortable with the lyrics.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 04:15:22 PM by wolfking »