Author Topic: The official Frontiers Softcock Shit thread  (Read 572649 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The official melodic rock/AOR thread
« Reply #2975 on: February 16, 2015, 02:08:42 PM »
Work of Art released a new album a few months back, Framework.

Wow.

Not many WOA fans around here, but I'm one of the few.  I don't think Framework comes close to either of the other two, but it's something I listen to from time to time and is consistent and solid to what the band delivers.

I concur.  Framework isn't quite as memorable as In Progress, which is the only other WOA album I own, but it is enjoyable.

The first album is worth a listen too.  It's quite a bit more AOR and lighter than In Progress but has some great tunes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2976 on: February 16, 2015, 02:11:47 PM »
My favourite track of theirs by some way is the first track on the first album............love it.  From there it was all downhill for me though (with the odd exception)
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2977 on: February 16, 2015, 02:24:08 PM »
They pretty much all sound like Why Do I though really Brent.  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2978 on: February 16, 2015, 02:26:20 PM »
Exactly........just not quite as good and that gets old very quick.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2979 on: February 16, 2015, 02:43:32 PM »
Even though I love WOA, it's funny as the songs Robert Sall writes for others have more variety in them, much like Erik Martenssen's situation.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2980 on: February 17, 2015, 05:40:39 PM »
Revolution Saints.................just got through my first listen.   I think most of the guys who spend time in this thread will enjoy it.    It's very much Journey flavoured so if that bothers you , then don't waste your $$$.   There are guest spots by Schon and Pineda that just reinforce that.

I'm a little surprised by the back seat that Jack Blades took in this - I thought he might have taken a vocal or two but there are no complaints on that front.  Deen does a stellar job as does Doug on guitar - in fact he saved a song or two for me with a nice solo. 

As is almost always the case of late my rating would be higher without a couple of tracks that don't need to be there.  My version has 12 + 3 bonus (just alternate versions).   The albums starts very strong , has a bit of a lull in the middle and then finishes strong . 

I can see why some might say it's just another project band, heard it all before etc........ and I'm of that mindset myself with a lot of recent releases.  There are moments on this album (the two main suspects were written by Erik Martensson  :lol  ) where I got that feeling but there's enough songs that have that extra bit of quality and originality that get it above that level for me.    I really don't see why they had to cover a bloody Eclipse song for this either when they have songwriters like Blades on board - it just makes it seem half assed, but anyway....... ::)

To some extent we've heard it all before but this is a cut above most releases of its kind. Personally I think you melodic rockers are pretty safe with this one.

Rating: 84%

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2981 on: February 17, 2015, 06:46:27 PM »
I'm looking forward to it, but I didn't realise like other Frontiers projects that outside writers are used. 

Just checked the track list and saw the Eclipse song.  While it certainly is necessary, that is one of their better songs.

Also Brent, are the bonus tracks worth it.  I pre ordered the standard version but thinking of upgrading to the extra tracks and DVD.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2982 on: February 17, 2015, 07:04:40 PM »
If you want the deluxe I'd do it for the DVD (which I haven't seen) rather than the bonus tracks.  They're just variations on the tracks that had guests.

- 2 versions of the song Pineda guested on..........one all Deen and one all Arnel
- a version of the song Schon guested on with Doug instead.

You're not missing out on new tracks or anything if you buy the regular version

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2983 on: February 17, 2015, 07:14:20 PM »
Might not bother then.  I'm not a big Arnel fan anyway.  I can always get the tracks online.  And the DVD would only be worth it for the making of, but knowing Frontiers, will be 20 minutes of the members saying how great the project is and how they love working with this new band and blah blah blah.  They are never anything interesting regarding an actual making of the album.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2984 on: March 03, 2015, 05:12:49 AM »
Kiske/Somerville - City of Heroes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqdzL1ThVbM

What do we think?  I know I'm a Karlsson fanboy, but I think it's quite strong.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2985 on: March 03, 2015, 05:19:45 AM »
I think it's alright, but I didn't really like the chorus. The guitar solo was the best part for me. I sure hope there are better songs on the album.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2986 on: March 03, 2015, 05:28:42 AM »
Something I'll definitely check out when it's available.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2987 on: March 03, 2015, 05:34:09 AM »

I think it's very solid -nothing special but encouraging.  I haven't seen too many chicks on drums hit like that either.

I think it's alright, but I didn't really like the chorus. The guitar solo was the best part for me. I sure hope there are better songs on the album.

I agree about the chorus . I think it was a mistake to have them doubling up on that - doesn't sound quite right to me and I think that might be the reason.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2988 on: March 03, 2015, 06:46:35 AM »
I still really need to get the Revolution Saints album.

I got the Europe and Toto albums today. The Europe one sounds like the same crap they've been putting out for the past decade or so.
Currently on my first proper listen of the Toto album, but very promising so far. I was hoping for a few heavier moments, but I'm still enjoying the style a lot.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2989 on: March 03, 2015, 02:50:19 PM »
The first I see is Blob mentioning Europe, my faith is restored!  :angel:

Ok you called them crap, don't care though. You acknowledge their presence, which is enough.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2990 on: March 03, 2015, 03:57:34 PM »

I think it's very solid -nothing special but encouraging.  I haven't seen too many chicks on drums hit like that either.

I agree about the chorus . I think it was a mistake to have them doubling up on that - doesn't sound quite right to me and I think that might be the reason.

This was one of the things on the first album that I thought could have been done better.  On the first album, their doubling up wasn't even in sync with half the time one was finishing a line before the other, and it sounded sloppy.  It seems better here, but yeah they could have inter played the vocals better eg. Allen/Lande. (the Karlsson ones obviously)

I still think this is very good and should be a worthy album.  Love the drummer.

EDIT:  had another listen and I was wrong, they've done the same thing, the unison singing between the two is sloppy like the first album IMO.  I guess they meant to do it like that, but when one stops before the other, it kind of sounds like a mistake.

Karlsson on fire once again though in the solo.  I'm really mainly looking forward to this to have another album filled with his guitar playing.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2991 on: March 03, 2015, 04:07:39 PM »
I have the new Europe but won't get around to it for a while...........I expect to have the same reaction as Blob to be honest.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2992 on: March 03, 2015, 05:46:05 PM »
I have the new Europe but won't get around to it for a while...........I expect to have the same reaction as Blob to be honest.
Then why get it?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2993 on: March 03, 2015, 05:49:49 PM »
Loaner  ;)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2994 on: March 03, 2015, 06:04:35 PM »
I like that Kiske/Somerville song a LOT!

Is that Rikki Rocket on drums? ;D

And I'm just looking forward to this to have another album full of Kiske's singing!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2995 on: March 04, 2015, 04:51:43 AM »
I like that Kiske/Somerville song a LOT!

Is that Rikki Rocket on drums? ;D

And I'm just looking forward to this to have another album full of Kiske's singing!

That's always a good thing.  I keep playing this song a bit too, really solid.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2996 on: March 04, 2015, 06:22:45 AM »
So how did you go with the new Toto Mr. Blob??    I have just got through my first listen and I'm disappointed.   I feel like a bit of a Scrooge when it comes to new releases at the moment - I'm getting in all this stuff that is being salivated over far and wide and being underwhelmed by most of it.

I've always been a Toto fan - they generally have a bit of filler but at their best  :hefdaddy     

In the end I think my favourite track is the first that I heard (Holy War) - I was hoping that was one of the mid range tracks and that I' be blown away by the deeper cuts.  It's certainly no cookie cutter Frontiers job and I wouldn't expect anything less from these guys .  It's undoubtedly quality stuff but there's just some magic missing from the songs - there's moments of it but no one song blows me away. (like say Caught In The Balance on MIndfields)

I'll reserve judgement on the production until I play it on a better system ,but I played it on my PC speakers straight after UFO (which sounded great) and I found that during the quieter moments it was crystal clear but when the music really kicked in it became quite distorted.  Perhaps I have a dodgy disc.

Anyway........I really have a hard time explaining all the 100% reviews about for this (and not just the usual suspect). For me it's about a 75% and nowhere near my favourite of theirs. 

I'll be interested to see what others think.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2997 on: March 04, 2015, 06:31:49 AM »
I'm quite enjoying the first half of the disc so far, with Holy War and Running Out of Time being my early favourites. The second half of the disc seems to blur together as soft saminess for me right now.

I was hoping for a bit more rockier stuff, but I'm still enjoying the style of this one. Classic Toto, with the jazzy pop influences, big harmonies, and nice synth sections and solos. Still too early for me to make a final judgement on how I feel about it as an album. I'm not disappointed by it at all, but I'm not blown away by it yet either.

For production, you're spot on. The production is great on the softer sections, but it gets a bit distorted on the louder sections. I don't think the album is overcompressed, I think it's just clipped off too harshly. It still sounds a lot better than most modern albums in the genre, but there's some room for improvement.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2998 on: March 06, 2015, 03:21:55 AM »
This is nothing special (and nothing we haven't heard before) but if anyone wants a new release which has a nice mix of melodic rock, sleaze, pub rock and even Southern rock then this album might be worth a listen. It's hard to pigeon hole as they're a bit all over the place (in good and bad ways) but at their heaviest they have elements of bands like Crazy Lixx.

The album's called Rise OF The Electric Jester and it's by a band called Knock Out Kaine.   I rate it 78% and so it won't be on regular rotation but it deserves more publicity than it's getting (none).  See what you think.

Knock Out Kaine - 16 Grams Of Heart Attack    https://youtu.be/LIhUZf8dgn0
                         - Flying Blind https://youtu.be/QXRH55WTxgY

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 03:27:24 AM by bl5150 »

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2999 on: March 07, 2015, 10:23:54 AM »
I quite like the new Europe. Ok, its not up there with anything from the first half of their career but it was enjoyable enough. I especially liked this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12ZfBmNymc 

I gave Bag Of Bones a go too and really liked that. Never gave it much of a go the first time round as I wasn't into the new direction post reunion. I like the blues though, and the eastern vibe at times too.

Quite like that Knock Out Kane (was going to do the initials but thought better of it  :blush)

The new UFO was ok but no more than that. Definitely prefer the Red Zone Rider album Vinnie did last year. PLayed that again this morning.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3000 on: March 08, 2015, 04:33:37 AM »
I still gotta listen to that Red Zone Rider cd.

I didn't give Bag of Bones a good go either.  I'll get the cd out, but what I've heard from the new one is decent.

Been listening to new Eclipse and Revolution Saints.  Both quite enjoyable.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3001 on: March 08, 2015, 01:33:11 PM »
I still gotta listen to that Red Zone Rider cd.

I didn't give Bag of Bones a good go either.  I'll get the cd out, but what I've heard from the new one is decent.

Been listening to new Eclipse and Revolution Saints.  Both quite enjoyable.

The Eclipse is pretty flawless, the Rev Saints is ok but forgetable.

I know you're not into the blues Kade so not sure you'll love the Red Zone Rider. It's quite Zep-py.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3002 on: March 12, 2015, 05:49:01 AM »
Cain's Offering samples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VXRAyP7kro

Damn, sounding good.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #3003 on: March 13, 2015, 05:56:50 PM »
Cain's Offering samples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VXRAyP7kro

Damn, sounding good.

Played the 1st one tonight - great album. Should be good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3004 on: March 17, 2015, 03:54:37 PM »
Holy shit!  Karlsson got JLT on Freefall 2.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3005 on: March 17, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »

Any updates when this will be released?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3006 on: March 18, 2015, 05:43:17 AM »

Any updates when this will be released?

Nah, I just keep looking at his facebook but no official news yet. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3007 on: March 18, 2015, 06:41:55 AM »
I can't link it, but the new Europe got an 8.5 on Bravewords. Hmm..

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3008 on: March 22, 2015, 04:54:53 AM »
Solid score.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3009 on: March 22, 2015, 05:11:09 AM »
I was away and couldn't get there but my sister reports that Billy Idol and Steve Stevens tore it up last night and blew Cheap Trick off the stage.  Apparently quite a hard rocking gig with several extended guitar solos etc......

www.theguitardojo.com.au