Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**  (Read 158888 times)

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #315 on: September 09, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »
Also, I thought the programmed drums were a nice touch when they were used. What are everyone elses thoughts?

At the start of Build Me Up, and after listening to Angels, I was kinda scratching my head. But by the time the verse with them in came around I was digging it.
That's one of the reasons I love DT though, for the surprises

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #316 on: September 09, 2011, 04:36:36 PM »
Lost not Forgotten 1:54-2:34 is one of the most atrocious pieces of crap
I actually loved that part, but I can see why lots would hate it.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2011, 04:36:42 PM »
A Dramatic Turn of Events out of 100

On The Backs of Angels - 85
Build Me Up, Break Me Down - 83
Lost Not Forgotten - 85
This Is The Life - 85
Bridges In The Sky - 93
Outcry - 93
Far From Heaven -> Breaking All Illusions - 95
Beneath The Surface - 95

I rank ADTOE as DT's 4th best album. (Behind SDOIT, Scenes, and I&W)

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: September 09, 2011, 04:37:07 PM »
haha, I refresh this thread for the first time since about 1pm and I thought this site merged with dt.net for a second. Nice re-design, guys.

Offline johncal

« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2011, 04:39:45 PM »
I just want to know how they are going to play some of this stuff live. It seems almost impossible like Lost but not forgotten and Outcry, even breaking all illusions would be difficult.

That was their concern too. But these guys regularly do things that are impossible, so I'm not too worried. Besides, they've got something to prove. That always is a great motivator.

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2011, 04:40:18 PM »
I pretty much dont like any of this album yet. Im quite sad as i was really looking forward to this. All the talking about in my top 3 albums ever and love all the songs on the album and best since whatever, is just confusing the shit out of me! It feels like some kind of joke or conspiracy against me or everyones at a party and im not invited haha
There is nothing i love about Dream Theater on this album, from beginning to end all that jumps out at me are things that just annoy and bore me. This reminds me of when listening to Death Magnetic and everyone saying its great and a return to form, when i just found 90% of it tedious.

Im not slagging DT im just a bit gutted that im not diggin it and its getting worse every listen.  :'(

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2011, 04:41:10 PM »
Numerical score so far, song by song:

ATBOA: 8/10
BMUMBD: 8/10
LNF: 8/10
TITL: 8/10
BITS: 8/10
Outcry: 5/10
FFH: 8/10
BAI: 8/10
BTS: 8/10

I have no idea what that means.  I don't dislike Outcry, but I can't get into it.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #322 on: September 09, 2011, 04:41:57 PM »
I pretty much dont like any of this album yet. Im quite sad as i was really looking forward to this. All the talking about in my top 3 albums ever and love all the songs on the album and best since whatever, is just confusing the shit out of me! It feels like some kind of joke or conspiracy against me or everyones at a party and im not invited haha
There is nothing i love about Dream Theater on this album, from beginning to end all that jumps out at me are things that just annoy and bore me. This reminds me of when listening to Death Magnetic and everyone saying its great and a return to form, when i just found 90% of it tedious.

Im not slagging DT im just a bit gutted that im not diggin it and its getting worse every listen.  :'(

Why don't you like it?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #323 on: September 09, 2011, 04:45:10 PM »

I have no idea what that means.  I don't dislike Outcry, but I can't get into it.

Well, I guess consistency is something. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #324 on: September 09, 2011, 04:45:45 PM »
Love the album ;)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #325 on: September 09, 2011, 04:46:30 PM »
This album is so fantastic, aah.

I'd definitely say a top 5 DT album, perhaps top 3 after more listens and time passes. The melodies are amazing, everything's so fresh and powerful, and I just really love this album.

Song rankings:

Beneath the Surface
Breaking All Illusions
Bridges in the Sky
Outcry
On the Backs of Angels
Lost Not Forgotten
This is the Life
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Far From Heaven

This isn't saying a whole lot, since all of the songs are really awesome. So proud of DT.

Offline Dreamer81

« Reply #326 on: September 09, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »

Give it more spin!!at first i hated this is the lif,e now thorughout the day i find myself humming the song...this album is definitevely a grower with no weak spot. For sure isn't a easy album.

Offline mocool13

« Reply #327 on: September 09, 2011, 04:56:22 PM »
Going through the album for the first time. Just reaching the end of OTBOA. Let the journey begin! Love the theme btw

Offline j

« Reply #328 on: September 09, 2011, 04:59:01 PM »
A few thoughts:

LaBrie sounds excellent on this album.  He sounds as good or better on Bridges as he has on anything he's done IMO.

I think that individually, this is Rudess's best album with the band.  He does a wide variety of different things, but his experimentation is almost all successful IMO.  He does a great job of carrying a song when necessary and remaining in the background supplementing the other guys when it's called for.  And even his solos are awesome!

I don't know much of anything about mixes or dynamics, but to my untrained ears, the drums sound a little too quiet and don't have quite enough power.  The drumming itself is obviously good, but like others have said, it all sounds very "safe" for the most part.  I don't like the drumming during the BAI chorus, it's almost grating; I feel like they could have done something cooler with that.  But again, I'm reaching for stuff to bitch about.  And I really like the electronic-sounding parts.

The ending of Outcry (last minute or so) is easily the worst part of the album.  I do like the rest of the song, although the lyrics aren't very good.

Breaking All Illusions, Bridges in the Sky, and Beneath the Surface are the early standouts for me.  But This is the Life was also unexpectedly great, and I really don't dislike any song on the album so far.

Will reserve further judgment until I've had a chance to listen more, but my early opinion is that this album is at the very least light years better than anything DT have done since SDOIT, which is about all I had hoped for at this point.  Very consistent compared to their recent albums as well.  And much better lyrics overall.

-J

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #329 on: September 09, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »
Build Me Up, Break Me Down is a kick ass rocker. I expect a shorter version of it would have a video/single release, but it doesn't look like they have plans to make any videos for these songs yet.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #330 on: September 09, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »
I love how the theme switches to this godawefullness, and everyone keeps stroking it over the new album without missing a beat.  lofuckingl

A Dramatic Turn of Events is rated PG for some thematic elements.

Offline johncal

« Reply #331 on: September 09, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Before I make anymore judgement I am going to give it a few more listens to let it soak in.  It may be a grower, which to be honest I&W was a grower for me way back when.  This disc may be the same for me.

Growers are good. They fit in your underwear better.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #332 on: September 09, 2011, 05:09:30 PM »
Short but sweet version: my favorite Dream Theater album since SFAM. Not only did it meet my expectations, it exceeded them. I am wondering if they can pull some of this stuff off live-especially Outcry, which makes my jaw drop every time I hear it. Musically, it's Jordan's album all the way, although JMX is far more audible and doing far more interesting parts than he has in years, and JLB is fantastic, his best vocals in a long time.

As for MM, I don't really see what he's doing as playing it safe, but rather playing what the song needs. He seems to be playing it safe in part due to not being mixed as upfront as the drums have been lately on DT albums, but he does a fantastic job on the album and can only improve as he becomes involved in the songwriting. Lyrics are a lot better than they have been lately, though lets face it, that doesn't say a lot.

Love the album. Hope they play Lost Not Forgotten, Outcry, and Breaking All Illusions live just to see if they can do it...and I think they can.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #333 on: September 09, 2011, 05:13:00 PM »
Reapsta - still pretty much the same reasons as my post way back on page 1.
It would be easier to tell you the things i like rather than the things i dont!

To me the album sounds forced. When bands listen to fans and try and recapture form or a style from the past, it almost never ends well. Things seem unnatural and put there for the sake of it. Take Megadeths Sudden Death for example... Guitar hero or Rockband asked Megadeth to do a song for the game, they did the song but where asked to add more solos so it would be harder in the game, what turned out to be a great song for the game, was a song that just had lots of mindless noodling that as a song it just sounds forced. To me this DT album sounds like they have shoe horned in parts just for the sake of it, the fans wanted more prog so they forced it in, forced in time changes that seem awkward rather than adding a new dynamic or direction to the song etc. They seem like they wanted to go back to be more proggy but still add some heavy riffs of their later style to still sound contemporary and relevant again seeming to force the situation.
 I think over the years DT had evolved in to something different from what they started as and every step was right at that time, ADTOE sounds like its trying to revisit and recapture something that they where a long time ago instead of just carrying on with a natural progression. stuff usually goes full circle but i feel on this effort that they have tried too hard, and i know im in the minority but i just dont like the result unfortunately.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #334 on: September 09, 2011, 05:15:20 PM »
You are quite in the minority. Nothing on this album seems forced to me, only fresh and upbeat. This album feels 100% like Dream Theater, and that's just what I personally wanted.

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #335 on: September 09, 2011, 05:18:44 PM »
Heretic - millions of people loved the spice girls... It doesnt make them right! Just kidding!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #336 on: September 09, 2011, 05:19:11 PM »
So I listened to the entire album and on first impression I have mixed and maybe a little disappointing feelings for it.

My biggest concern is that most of the album, and this is not just my catch, is a reworking of Images and Words.  The music is different but the song structures are for the most part identical.  For instance we know OTBOA is PMU, but also LNF is Under a Glass Moon, Outcry is Metropolis, and BAI is LTL.  Seems a bit gimmicky to me and I have to say this distracts me from the song because I am thinking of the I&W counterpart song the whole way through.

The album has a lot going on in it musically, much more than any of the previous recent releases.  It's hard to say if this will grow on me or not but after a listen there was nothing too memorable that stood out other then a lot more proggy sounding passages than before.  I noticed that things change gears often in most of the songs and there is not a lot of space in the music.  Also, I felt some of the transitions were really choppy and a bit unexpected.  This disc certainly needs a number of listens to comprehend it.  I did think the slower songs were nice, especially Beneath the Surface. 

Before I make anymore judgement I am going to give it a few more listens to let it soak in.  It may be a grower, which to be honest I&W was a grower for me way back when.  This disc may be the same for me.

Why is it a bad thing that some songs have an Images and Words vibe?

I can def see OTBOA(PMU), LNF(UAGM), and BAI(LTL)...

but Outcry= Metropolis?? give me a break...

Offline johncal

« Reply #337 on: September 09, 2011, 05:19:26 PM »
MAAAAAAANGINI! They may have him a little lower in the mix than we're used to but, WOW. I don't know how some can say he played it safe or he'll get better when he's more involved in the writing. The guy is INSANE. His speed is WAY faster than Portnoy's, better fills, can play 3 different time signatures at the same time while following and accenting the individual musicians. I think some of you guys think he laid back because he makes it sound so effortless. He's NOT a look at me kind of guy. Portnoy's stuff was right in your face, that's why it was noticed and if you didn't notice it, he'd throw a drum stick at you, spit, jump up and down, or knock over his drums (adreneline mob). You'll never see that kind of stuff from the genie. No need to.

BTW, I'm still a huge Portnoy fan

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #338 on: September 09, 2011, 05:22:14 PM »
This album is definitely a grower.  It was just way too much to take in on the first few listens.  I could hardly remember anything from any song after my first listen because there was so much going on.  Just like it was with OTBOA, I couldn't really remember any of the melodies on my first few listens, but then I wake up this morning and have sections of the album stuck in my head the whole day.

Overall, a really solid album.  It's not likely to ever get to the level of SFAM or I&W, but right now I can say it's better then BCSL, SC, 8VM, WDADU, and TOT, and is probably going to find a home on the Awake/FII/SDOIT tier of DT albums. 

Anyone else think the guitars are too loud in the mix?  I felt sometimes like they were overpowering everything else and were just too much, especially on the really heavy parts in songs like Lost Not Forgotten and Bridges in the Sky.

It also kind of felt like the album is really missing one or two more really awesome, melodic, soaring solos from JP.  BAI solo is awesome, but none of the other solos really stand out to me right now.

Also, JLB is awesome on this album, but I feel as if he rarely really opens it up and goes for something really high.  I suppose when you get to his age, you write the vocals with his limits in mind...but still.

Most people don't seem to like BMUBMD, but I really enjoy it.  I was expecting something with a more upbeat mood to it, so I was surprised to find it had a somewhat dark feeling to it.

I'm not blown away by this album, but I'm not disappointed either.  I'll reserve my final judgement for a few months down the road after I see how the album ages.  Hopefully it does the opposite of BCSL, SC, 8VM, and ages well as a whole album, and I find myself listening to it in full rather then a few select songs.

Offline Yockenthwaite

« Reply #339 on: September 09, 2011, 05:23:17 PM »

Just signed up to say you are not alone. After 5 listens I still haven’t quite got this album yet and it’s only jumped up to second bottom after WDADU in my list after more listens.  When OTBOA came out I thought for this to be great album it would have to be one of the weaker songs but it’s probably one of my favourites. 

BMUBMD is catchy and I quite like it but most see this as the worst track.

Lost Not Forgotten has a cool intro but it just gets worse as the song goes on and the chorus is really annoying.

I like the opening and closing guitar riff in This is the life but the rest of the song is bland.

Bridges in the Sky is possibly my favourite, the intro is really weird and not like DT and the chorus is catchy, the instrumental sections are quite interesting too, brilliant track but also the worst best song on an album since WDADU if that makes sense. It’s great but shouldn’t be the best song on an DT album.

I’m at war with the middle section in Outcry and it ruins the song for me. It’s just pointless and takes any emotional impact away from the song. Otherwise it wouldn’t be a bad song, the ending would be more effective if the song contain some actual content rather than just a beginning, an end and a waste of time in the middle.

I still can’t hum or sing anything from Far from heaven and it has already put me to sleep once. This song is a good cure for insomnia though.

BAI is great and very similar to Learning to Live, perhaps too much. It contains instrumental sections different to what they’ve been doing on recent albums giving it that IAW feel but still though I appreciate it as a good song, it’s not something I can see myself wanting to listen to a lot.

BNS is nice but doesn’t live up to past ballads.

Overall I mostly feel my negativity is because of the standards I have for DT. They’ve been too good up to now and so I expected more. Mangini’s drumming is great but the songs themselves just don’t do it for me. I heard it described as an album with no bad points but with nothing spectacular but for me it’s an album with a couple of bad points (FFH, Middle of Outcry, last half of LNF) and nothing spectacular (BITS wouldn’t be high on my list of DT songs) Every other album seems to deliver that one if not more special moment but this one just doesn’t have that. I’m not done with it yet so let’s hope it more listens make me more positive.

The artwork’s lovely though.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #340 on: September 09, 2011, 05:25:53 PM »
Anyone else think the guitars are too loud in the mix?  I felt sometimes like they were overpowering everything else and were just too much, especially on the really heavy parts in songs like Lost Not Forgotten and Bridges in the Sky.

Little bit.  I got used to it pretty easily as I went through it, but when BMU,BMD first started, I definitely had this impression. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #341 on: September 09, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
The ending to Bridges in the Sky is the most badass and heavy ending DT's ever done. Blows TDEN out of the water.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline johncal

« Reply #342 on: September 09, 2011, 05:29:39 PM »

Little bit.  I got used to it pretty easily as I went through it, but when BMU,BMD first started, I definitely had this impression.

I think in the next album the guitars will be quiter and drums will be louder if for no other reason than all our bitching! These guys do pay attention.

Offline deadtotheworld

« Reply #343 on: September 09, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »
Johncal - maybe the in your face over the top Portnoy style is what set DT apart for some people, possibly me included, so if that whole major element is missing, then it maybe more difficult to get into. If you take your favourite member out of any of your favourite bands - it just seems like a different band. No Slash in GnR, no Dave Lee Roth in Van Halen it changes the whole dynamic of the band.
I saw DT live a few weeks ago and they where the best ive ever seen them without Portnoy but this album to me doesnt give me the same optimism as what i saw live, thats why i wish they had written and recorded an album after a tour with Mangini.

Offline IJewBear

« Reply #344 on: September 09, 2011, 05:32:23 PM »
My track by track review. Read if you wish. If not, just skip right over it. Although, it isn't that fanboyish. Maybe a bit... 

On the Backs of Angels
After another listen from a month drought, it still hits me the same way. I think it's a very strong song. Yes, the structure is reeking of PMU but isn't that the song that got them under the music radar? It's not such a bad song to model another after. It has a memorable chorus and a perfectly fit solo section. It introduces the album very well. Everyone has already had their opinions on this song so I will continue.
7.5/10

Build Me Up, Break Me Up

This one is a little more difficult to give a review on. Although the chorus is one of the catchiest I have heard by the band, the rest of the song feels very bland to me. Boring lead riff, simple verses, weak instrumental section. Now, I don't hate the song. But I feel it's one if not the weakest on the album. The use of the electronic drums was fairly interesting though and I do enjoy that it leads into Lost not Forgotten.
6/10

Lost Not Forgotten
This is probably one of my favorites on the album. Unlike a lot of the post I have read, I feel the chorus is driving. It's memorable enough for me to be able to hum it in the car. The intro is very strong. VERY strong. It feels like the opening to a movie. Yes, it is very UAGM-ish. Maybe that piano was put in in after the fact to offset the intro but regardless, it's a beautiful piano part. That diminished "tickle" section is absolutely awesome.  It just doesn't end! MM really compliments the music here. This is one of his strong points on the album. Very tasteful fills. Although it doesn feel a little MP influenced. Not a bad thing whatsoever. The second verse is a really nice mood change. It's more melodic and I think it's a perfect fit. JLB is really shining on this song. His voice is gritty but not "growling". It's powerful and he has an amzing tone. The instrumental section or should I really say "solo section", is a perfect match. JP's solo is probably my favorite on the album. It feels so fresh. JR's solo isn't too wanky but he still puts some technicality into it. Feels more Kevin Moore-ish. A perfect ending to close it up.
8.5/10

This is the Life
I enjoy this track to a point. Gives me an Another Day vibe. That being said, it feels a bit more dragged out than AD. It's a little forgettable but the main progression is uplifting and gives you an overall good feeling. JLB once again is doing great here. It's much more calm and graceful. JP's solo is really good on this track as well. I don't feel like it's a "Spirit Carries On" or "Razor's Edge" no matter how much it wants to be. A good solo nonetheless. The ending is the strong part of this song. It builds very nicely and it's a typical DT big ending.
7/10

Bridges in the Sky
Oh man. That intro is so weird. I love it. It would be a great song to open a show with. Once the intro fades out and the band comes in, it just dumps the awesomeness right on you. I love it. It's very heavy but not like the heaviness of the past 3 albums. It's a very tasteful heaviness. I had doubts when I heard the snippet to this song. It sounded bland and uninspired. Wrong. The pre-chorus is so heavy and the melody that attaches to it is no exception. It melodic yet not a typical melody. It's really fresh. That chorus. Seriously, it's as DT as you can get. It's soaring! One of my favorite choruses to date. JLB sounds amazing once again on this track. So far, he has yet to disappoint me. The instrumental section sounds a bit like the past albums but it doesn't feel forced. It fits very nicely in there. It's not too long, not too short. Just right. It transitions right into the last chorus perfectly. Once again, a soaring chorus that ends on an unexpected not but that just makes it that much better. It ends dark that suits the songs a little better. One last Shaman call to end it.
9/10

Outcry
I'll be perfectly honest. This one really caught me off guard. I thought the whole song was going to have a TDoE feel. Wrong. It's starts with a soft intro that leads into a huge riff that offers a sneak peek to the chorus. It's a bit cliche but nice nonetheless. After the big intro, it slips a bit for me. I don't find myself tapping my foot or singing along. It starts to pick up a bit after the first verse. Then it drops again. A very weird flow. During this drop, it builds nicely into the chorus. The chorus is pretty nice in this song. Then it goes back into another verse. At least, this verse is a bit more driving than the first. The flow is still intact. Instrumental section. This is the strong point of the song (well it is most of it...). It's very inspired and it doesn't feel like a typical DT instrumental section. They don't rely on a singly riff or motif during this part. It's very inspired. Very LTE to me. Every instrument shines here and there's no plain "solo" for any instrument. Well, JM has his own little bass and drum part a few time in it but I don't count it as a solo. It ends right back into a fairly tasteful groove with piano bass and drums. I actually really dig this part. Once the vocals come in with the guitar, it's very nice. This is one my more favorable parts of the song. Then the chorus once more. Ending comes in with chants which ends on a very weird note. There's no resolve. Probably to show there will never be any resolution with a revolution.
8/10

Far From Heaven
My favorite ballad on the album. It's beautiful. This is where JLB really shines. The piano, the strings, everything about this song is just so beautiful. I can't get enough of it. I really have no complaints on this song. Even the part that is present in BAI fits perfectly with the whole feel. Did I mention that JLB sounds amazing on this one? JR does a spectacular job on here too. Strictly piano and it sounds amazing. I'm not sure what else to say about it other than it's too short!
9.5/10

Breaking All Illusions
I'm jumping on the bandwagon and saying that this is my favorite track on the album. From start to finish, it's a very strong song. There are no low points on this song. Maybe cutting the jazzy part in the middle down a litt....no, it works too well. Very old school DT. Everyone knew just from the snippet that it would be but now after hearing it all the way through, it exceeds my prior expectations. I love all the different mood changes it goes through. JM shines on this song on both a lyrical and bass stand point (yes, I know it's the only one he wrote lyrics on...). The experimentation throughout really benefits. It feels very fresh and new. A very good sign for upcoming albums. I can't really say much more about that song because I feel you must appreciate this by hearing it for themselves and catching things that they feel were superior.  Well one last thing...that ending. Wow. It feels like Disneyland! Seriously, it's such a perfect ending for the album. Wait, it's not the album closer?
9.8/10

Beneath the Surface
3 words, The Silent Man. If you like that song, you like this song. Easy as that. It is a very nice song to cool down the energy of the album with. I do enjoy this song. I already stated my favorite ballad was Far From Heaven but I don't count this one out of the running. It's a good song to listen in the car while you are riding through country. When JLB sings his last chorus, there's so much emotion and power that it made my eyes open wide the first time hearing it.
8.25/10

Track order for me:

Breaking all Illusions
Far from Heaven
Bridges in the Sky
Lost Not Forgotten
Beneath the Surface
Outcry
On The Backs of Angels
This is the Life
Build Me Up, Break Me Down

Overall rating : 7.355/10

A perfect album? Not exactly. A damn good album? Absolutely. The whole album feels fresh and inspired. I really like it. Am I being too harsh on ratings? Maybe. My ratings may change within the next few weeks or months after more listens.

I'd rank this as my 4th favorite DT album. It may grow on me more. I hope it does. I want it to be a top 3 or even 2 album but I doubt it.

If you got this far, CONGRATS! It's a long a read. And it's probably not too often you look at a new poster's opinion and take it into consideration.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:37:31 PM by IJewBear »

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #345 on: September 09, 2011, 05:33:54 PM »

I think in the next album the guitars will be quiter and drums will be louder if for no other reason than all our bitching! These guys do pay attention.

I don't know.  For me, I didn't feel there was anything wrong with the drums on this album.  Granted, I only had one listen.  And it's also worth noting that I've never been one to really listen specifically to the drumming, so maybe it just doesn't stand out to me as such a problem because I'm not listening that hard for it. 

But as far as I could tell, while Mangini's playing wasn't exactly on top of the mix, it supported the songs very, very well. 

My track by track review. Read if you wish. If not, just skip right over it. Although, it isn't that fanboyish. Maybe a bit... 

Just thought I'd let you know that at least one person read the whole review and thought it was quite well spoken.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 05:42:09 PM by Jaffa »
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #346 on: September 09, 2011, 05:36:15 PM »
The drums sound very Portnoy-ish, if that means anything to you. A relief to some, disappointment for others, you can't please everyone.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #347 on: September 09, 2011, 05:36:53 PM »
Bridges has DT's heaviest riff. Yes, even heavier than the TDEN riff.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #348 on: September 09, 2011, 05:38:21 PM »
yea bro
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #349 on: September 09, 2011, 05:40:12 PM »
Anyone else catch that strong In the Presence of Enemies reference during the instrumental in Breaking All Illusions? That really surprised me, shocked to see no one else mention it yet.