Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**  (Read 155732 times)

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #1330 on: September 29, 2011, 08:21:01 PM »
The octobans on this album are excellent. I wish MP used them in the music like this

MP really didn't use them much.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #1331 on: September 29, 2011, 08:21:58 PM »
He used them mainly in fills. Live he used them quite a bit.
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1332 on: September 29, 2011, 08:22:42 PM »
The octobans on this album are excellent. I wish MP used them in the music like this

Well, he can't since he is no longer in the band.

Offline johncal

« Reply #1333 on: September 29, 2011, 08:24:56 PM »

He could of if he could play them as fast as MM. When JP said they sounded like machine guns he wasn't kidding. The roll in BITS is astounding.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1334 on: September 29, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »

What???!!!  :omg:
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1335 on: September 29, 2011, 08:38:44 PM »

What???!!!  :omg:

You've got to be trolling, it's been over a year.

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1336 on: September 29, 2011, 08:42:09 PM »
Yes of course I'm just kidding. I was just discussing a few posts above about Mangini
God have mercy on a man
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1338 on: September 30, 2011, 06:09:37 AM »
Been a while now, I've probably got about 30 to 35 spins of this album under my belt.  A few times with my Audio Technica noise canceling headphones.

This album is probably going to rank #3 on my list of Dream Theater's catalog, with Images & Words and Scenes From a Memory being 1 and 2.  I just did not believe that Dream Theater still had an album like this in them.

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #1339 on: September 30, 2011, 07:35:45 AM »
I have listen to this at least 40 times since i got it and i am going to see them In OCT in Boston and i would be so friggin happy if they just played the whole album I just keeps getting better and better , one thing I noticed today while listing to OTBOA I think this one was one that was just ok with me for a while but now I really like it more , anyway i think i will be going crazy every song they play that night , this will be my 8th time seeing them and have never been more excited to see em!!

NOw to just hook up with better seats then i got  :facepalm:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1340 on: September 30, 2011, 08:13:15 AM »
This album is probably going to rank #3 on my list of Dream Theater's catalog, with Images & Words and Scenes From a Memory being 1 and 2.

Same here...

i am going to see them In OCT in Boston and i would be so friggin happy if they just played the whole album 
... and here!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline EstyMaJ

« Reply #1341 on: September 30, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »
This album is probably going to rank #3 on my list of Dream Theater's catalog, with Images & Words and Scenes From a Memory being 1 and 2.

Same here...

i am going to see them In OCT in Boston and i would be so friggin happy if they just played the whole album 
... and here!

Any talks of members here meeting up before the show?

Offline johncal

« Reply #1342 on: September 30, 2011, 09:51:49 AM »
I have listen to this at least 40 times since i got it and i am going to see them In OCT in Boston and i would be so friggin happy if they just played the whole album I just keeps getting better and better , one thing I noticed today while listing to OTBOA I think this one was one that was just ok with me for a while but now I really like it more , anyway i think i will be going crazy every song they play that night , this will be my 8th time seeing them and have never been more excited to see em!!

I think most of us just really overplayed OTBOA. Now that the play time of everything else on the album has caught up, OTBOA is regaining it's proper stature.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1343 on: September 30, 2011, 10:53:48 AM »
I'd rank it 7th I guess. I really like it, but everytime I play a random old song that hits me way harder. I put on 'The Root of All Evil' and shit starts rockin'. 'These Walls' or 'Sacrificed Sons'. Three random tracks from Octavarium and the sound is just way more.. beautiful. Better melodies. I'm really not sold on ADTOE's melodies or musical themes. Let alone that they're better than the 'classic' DT albums.

Dont' get me wrong, ADTOE is fine. But I don't think it's the grand return to form.

Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1344 on: September 30, 2011, 12:52:47 PM »
Hey guys my CD/DVD still isn't here :neverusethis:

But anyway, it has sunk in fully and I feel that it has tied with SFAM in my first place.

Offline Kiril Varbanov

Am I the only one who enjoys the music without comparing it?
ADTOE is an EPIC album, especially the "Breaking all illusions". Personal review of the album coming soon.

Offline DreamTension

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Live in the moment, breathe in a nude beginning

Keep checking Ticket Master, daily, the last few days leading up to the show. Most likely they will release the unsold Meet and Greet tickets and you can pick one up in the first 5 rows.  Last tour I got  3rd row the morning of the show.  :corn

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I can't be bothered digging through threads, but here is good enough.

Here's a decent quality version of the live cartoon intro-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqgiCJLuDGE
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Not bad.  He misses the very beginning, and has a tendency to let the camera wander, which is frustrating.  But overall, not a bad video.  And the sound is also pretty impressive.  Man, I can't wait for a video release from this tour!  Heck, I might even try to see them again if they come back through here on another leg.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni

;)

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!
« Reply #1350 on: October 04, 2011, 03:08:56 PM »
Not bad.  He misses the very beginning, and has a tendency to let the camera wander, which is frustrating.  But overall, not a bad video.  And the sound is also pretty impressive.  Man, I can't wait for a video release from this tour!  Heck, I might even try to see them again if they come back through here on another leg.

This

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline GasparXR

I think he's planning to make an epic Minecraft creation related to ADTOE. But I don't see it besides the obvious bridge in the sky.

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
Edit:deleted
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 04:37:30 PM by Scard »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me

He really used them just to make his fills sound larger.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline fadetoblackdude7

I actually think he over-used them on SC. Every fill it seems like.

Offline Shattered Glass

This month's (or maybe last month for you guys in the US) edition of Total Guitar has JP giving a track by track breakdown of all the songs in ADTOE.  The interesting thing for me in it was how he described FFH as part 1 of BAI due to the sharing of musical themes - I know this has already been talked about but it was good to see him confirm it - the interview's not on the web though.

Offline GasparXR

My CD is still not in. I will grab the nearest tree and give the nearest douchebag a good hard smack with said tree.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Just recieved the box set. Loving it. To pieces.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
The CD was delivered to my house while I was on vacation for 8 days last week. No idea when it actually got there, just glad it finally did. If you haven't received it yet, I would seriously call about it.

Offline YngVai

So I just recently gave this album a fair listen.  I got kind of burnt out on DT after BCSL, and had low expectations after the MP split.  I gave Backs of Angels a listen when it was streaming, but wasn't impressed.  I thought it sounded like it could easily have come from the Systematic Chaos or BCSL sessions, so I wrote it off.  However, I actually listened to the whole thing the other day, and I was pleasantly surprised.  It still doesn't sound like they're exploring any new territory, but is definitely a step up in consistency.  I've actually got high(er) hopes for the next one now.