Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**  (Read 158982 times)

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #280 on: September 09, 2011, 12:14:17 PM »
By the way, the ending to Breaking all Illusions is probably one of my favorite DT moments ever. It sounds so Lion King-esque it's ridiculous.

BAI's ending is definitely amazing and worthy of closing the song, but I'm also good with the fact that it isn't the last song on the album. I just can't stand it when album closers that don't fade out don't end on a resolving chord. And BTS is such a good song on top of it, so...
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #281 on: September 09, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
Did anybody catch the Far From Heaven references in BAI? I knew there would be some, and I've been listening to find them, but nothing sticks out to me yet. Possibly the guitar solo right after the first "searching ouuuuuuut!" section? thoughts?

2:35 - Far From Heaven
11:04 - Breaking All Illusions

Very similar (possibly the same)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #282 on: September 09, 2011, 12:14:58 PM »
I love how the theme switches to this godawefullness, and everyone keeps stroking it over the new album without missing a beat.  lofuckingl

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #283 on: September 09, 2011, 12:16:18 PM »
I love how the theme switches to this godawefullness, and everyone keeps stroking it over the new album without missing a beat.  lofuckingl

Well you know what they say about when you stroke it too much. Nobody can even see the forum theme by this point.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #284 on: September 09, 2011, 12:16:39 PM »
Yup, Some of the chord progressions after the first verse (before the heavy part), and the ending.

By the way, the ending to Breaking all Illusions is probably one of my favorite DT moments ever. It sounds so Lion King-esque it's ridiculous.

BAI was the song I was most excited about, and it just seems the most.....colorful, i guess is the right word. Like a modern day Learning to Live (perhaps Unlearning to Live should be the title)  ;D

And the references I'm sure are there, I'll probably just have to keep listening! they just seem so subtle!
I am a Survivor, and this is my Destiny.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #285 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:24 PM »
I love how the theme switches to this godawefullness, and everyone keeps stroking it over the new album without missing a beat.  lofuckingl

Well you know what they say about when you stroke it too much. Nobody can even see the forum theme by this point.
:rollin

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #286 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:00 PM »
Did anybody catch the Far From Heaven references in BAI? I knew there would be some, and I've been listening to find them, but nothing sticks out to me yet. Possibly the guitar solo right after the first "searching ouuuuuuut!" section? thoughts?

Exact same progression from what I can tell. Never even noticed it until I started humming the BAI tune over it, and it's a perfect fit.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #287 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:15 PM »
BAI's ending is definitely amazing and worthy of closing the song, but I'm also good with the fact that it isn't the last song on the album. I just can't stand it when album closers that don't fade out don't end on a resolving chord. And BTS is such a good song on top of it, so...

I love Beneath The Surface, but I would rather the album ended with Breaking All Illusions, and Beneath got an earlier spot. Preferably further away from Far From Heaven

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #288 on: September 09, 2011, 12:18:47 PM »

Good Catch! Those two match up very well!  :tup

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #289 on: September 09, 2011, 12:20:10 PM »

Exact same progression from what I can tell. Never even noticed it until I started humming the BAI tune over it, and it's a perfect fit.

I didn't notice it in Illusions, I actually spotted it on a repeat listen of Heaven. But that's probably because Illusions is firmly engraved in my mind in all it's awesomeness  :tup

Offline aXygnus

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • We seek to understand. We cry with hand in hand.
« Reply #290 on: September 09, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »
Anyone else that the last line of BAI kinda hints for a sequel ("Karma starts the signal")? I just can't look past that.

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #291 on: September 09, 2011, 12:23:14 PM »
This album is just fantastic. I really, really like every song, which is not something I can say about many DT albums. I am particularly impressed with JLB, as I have at times in the past found his vocals grating, but his melodies and delivery are just perfect on ADTOE and I'm as pleased as can be! The one, one issue I have is that the drums are too low, but it's not the end of the world. This is a future top 10 album for me  :metal

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #292 on: September 09, 2011, 12:24:02 PM »

I do wonder though, if that's the only reference that has been pointed out so far.

I didn't notice it in Illusions, I actually spotted it on a repeat listen of Heaven. But that's probably because Illusions is firmly engraved in my mind in all it's awesomeness  :tup

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #293 on: September 09, 2011, 12:24:11 PM »
Anyone else that the last line of BAI kinda hints for a sequel ("Karma starts the signal")? I just can't look past that.

Heh, I definitely wouldn't mind that. But I really, really dig this line. I can't pinpoint the reason, but it's really great imo.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #294 on: September 09, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »

I wasn't supposed to say anything, but DT are actually writing a song as we speak called "Breaking More Illusions" (or BMI, as it shall be known on the forum).

Seriously though, I think given the nature of the subject, it's just not supposed to be a conclusive ending.

Offline lelanddt

• I am the Absolute
« Reply #295 on: September 09, 2011, 12:25:14 PM »

On DT12, you can expect a song called "Breaking More Illusions"

Edit: ....damn. i guess people on here think very alike!

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #296 on: September 09, 2011, 12:26:14 PM »
On DT12, you can expect a song called "Breaking More Illusions"

Breaking Harder!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #297 on: September 09, 2011, 12:27:44 PM »

I think of it like going to a theme park. The last super big ride was Breaking all Illusions, and when you think or feel it's over, you get the fireworks (Beneath the Surface).
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #298 on: September 09, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
Mah... mah brotha?  :blush

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #299 on: September 09, 2011, 01:54:43 PM »
I've only heard up through Outcry, and already I can hear a difference regarding the instrumental breaks.  They flow in and out much more naturally than the past few albums.  It actually feels part of the song as opposed to "the instrumental section". 

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #300 on: September 09, 2011, 01:58:30 PM »
This album is right up there with my favorites. I can't decide if it's on par with or better than Images and Words or Scenes (my long-time up tier DT albums) yet, but I definitely like it better than SDOIT, Octavarium and Awake (my long-time middle-up tier DT albums).

Offline MetalJens

« Reply #301 on: September 09, 2011, 02:17:24 PM »
I was not convinced after my first couple of listens, but after a dozen plays I am totally in love with this album!  I've been a huge DT fan for about a decade and have liked every record they have released since then with the exception of SC. However, I've usually felt there was one or two stand-out songs on their latest records that stood out from otherwise rather mediocre records (the count of tuscany, octavarium, sacrificed sons and in the name of god comes to mind).

But this is not the feeling I get with ADTOE. I honestly can't tell you which song is my favorite on this record, as there are just too many awesome songs here! I can't really find a weak or even mediocre song here either, maybe with the exception of BMUBMD. I also really like the balance of the record, with both ballads, crazy progressive stuff, and more straight forward rock/metal parts with great melodies. Everything I love about DT. I also think FieryWinds has a great point about the instrumental sections, they feel much more natural and in tune with the rest of the song then on most of their other recent work.

Still too early to say how it will stand the test of time, but I'm pretty sure ADTOE is one of my top 5 DT records to date, and it may go down as one of my top 3 records ever!

As for ranking:

:hefdaddy Legendary: Breaking All Illusions, Bridges In The Sky, Outcry
 :metal Great: Beneath The Surface, Lost Not Forgotten
 :tup Very Good: On The Backs Of Angels, This Is The Life, Far From Heaven
 :corn Good: Build Me Up, Break Me Down
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:03:19 PM by MetalJens »

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #302 on: September 09, 2011, 04:00:08 PM »
I was not convinced after my first couple of listens, but after a week and at least a dozen plays I am totally in love with this album!

You might wanna read the stickied threads before posting

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2011, 04:04:32 PM »
Anyone else get a Rachmaninoff vibe from the piano at the beginning of Lost Not Forgotten?

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #304 on: September 09, 2011, 04:10:35 PM »
The main riff to Outcry (1:48) reminds me of Palladio, mainly Jordan's part

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBwa8nqtris&t=0m16s

Which is fully awesome

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #305 on: September 09, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
Anyone else get a Rachmaninoff vibe from the piano at the beginning of Lost Not Forgotten?

I wouldn't know about him specifically, but I love in general how it's so firmly rooted in classical piano while still being Dream Theater.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #306 on: September 09, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »
Yeah. The album is really, really great.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #307 on: September 09, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »
Finally got the site working somewhat well for me.  Gotta say, I'm pretty impressed.  The only song I'm at all disappointed with is Outcry, and I'm only disappointed with that because I predicted it was going to be my favorite song on the album.  Whereas it turned out to be probably the weakest song on the album, in my opinion.  There's nothing WRONG with it, it's just not as awesome as I had a feeling it was going to be.

BMU,BMD is a pretty cool song.  Nothing particularly special for me, but fun to listen to.  Lost Not Forgotten is another one that doesn't really stand out as spectacular to me, although it has some really cool moments and a pretty catchy chorus.  This Is The Life is a lovely song.  I love the intro and the way it slows down into all of its ballady goodness.  In fact, while I'm on TitL, I'll go ahead and say this: in terms of ballads alone, I think ADTOE is the strongest album DT have ever done.  TitL is great, Far From Heaven is extremely pretty, and Beneath the Surface is downright gorgeous.  In fact, I'll go so far as to say I think BTS is my favorite DT ballad to date. 

Bridges in the Sky is a very cool song with an excellent chorus and some great melodies.  Although I do think the shamanic burping detracts from it somewhat... the sound isn't so bad at the beginning, but I don't like how they reprised it at the end.  Listening to it, it felt like a song that should fade out, and instead, there's that noise again.  Kind of a downer for me.  But still an awesome track overall.

Already mentioned my vague disappointment with Outcry, so that leaves...

Breaking All Illusions.  Again, granted, it's still new and shiny, so I'm probably biased when I say this, but... I won't be surprised if BAI ends up in my top 10 DT songs list.

So overall, I think it's a very good album.  I only hope it ages well.

Now comes the hard part, where I try to convince myself that one listen is enough and I can now wait until I have the album in my own CD player to listen again.  Wish me luck.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Guitalguy

• Blackness awakens Visions come alive
« Reply #308 on: September 09, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »
I've decided that I won't listen to it until I get it emailed from RR on monday. My intarwebs come really slow, so streaming isn't a good alternative. Also have to finish my discography-marathon, started off with WDADRU just now.

Offline reo73

• Banned
« Reply #309 on: September 09, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »
So I listened to the entire album and on first impression I have mixed and maybe a little disappointing feelings for it.

My biggest concern is that most of the album, and this is not just my catch, is a reworking of Images and Words.  The music is different but the song structures are for the most part identical.  For instance we know OTBOA is PMU, but also LNF is Under a Glass Moon, Outcry is Metropolis, and BAI is LTL.  Seems a bit gimmicky to me and I have to say this distracts me from the song because I am thinking of the I&W counterpart song the whole way through.

The album has a lot going on in it musically, much more than any of the previous recent releases.  It's hard to say if this will grow on me or not but after a listen there was nothing too memorable that stood out other then a lot more proggy sounding passages than before.  I noticed that things change gears often in most of the songs and there is not a lot of space in the music.  Also, I felt some of the transitions were really choppy and a bit unexpected.  This disc certainly needs a number of listens to comprehend it.  I did think the slower songs were nice, especially Beneath the Surface. 

Before I make anymore judgement I am going to give it a few more listens to let it soak in.  It may be a grower, which to be honest I&W was a grower for me way back when.  This disc may be the same for me.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #310 on: September 09, 2011, 04:27:44 PM »
Also, I thought the programmed drums were a nice touch when they were used. What are everyone elses thoughts?

Offline Millais

« Reply #311 on: September 09, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
anyone else picking up an Opeth vibe in the Breaking All Illusions solo at 7:10ish?

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: September 09, 2011, 04:32:01 PM »
Dream Theater :clap:
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #313 on: September 09, 2011, 04:32:33 PM »
Also, I thought the programmed drums were a nice touch when they were used. What are everyone elses thoughts?

Totally enjoyed them.  Although I'm a fan of electronic music in general.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #314 on: September 09, 2011, 04:32:53 PM »
So I listened to the entire album and on first impression I have mixed and maybe a little disappointing feelings for it.

My biggest concern is that most of the album, and this is not just my catch, is a reworking of Images and Words.  The music is different but the song structures are for the most part identical.  For instance we know OTBOA is PMU, but also LNF is Under a Glass Moon, Outcry is Metropolis, and BAI is LTL.  Seems a bit gimmicky to me and I have to say this distracts me from the song because I am thinking of the I&W counterpart song the whole way through.

My first impression of it was really bad, but it grows, and pretty quickly. I think it's about putting expectations aside, this album was hyped up to high hell and that's been hard to not get sucked into a bit.

I think the whole counter part thing is really cool, it's a neat idea and I think it works really well. It also shows that the nuggetz side of DT hasn't left along with Portnoy.

My biggest problem was that to my ears there are a lot of unnatural key changes. That didn't set well with me on my first few listens, it just didn't seem like anything flowed. But once you're expecting those things I guess you get used to them, and you can then pay attention to everything else around them.
Maybe that's just me though