Author Topic: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**  (Read 155717 times)

Offline ElliottTamer

Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2011, 10:25:21 AM »
Wow, people are really going deep with their analysis and criticism...
As a principle, I always approach new albums from bands I like without so much baggage. Right now I could not tell you where I would place ADToE on a DT Ranking, or even Rank the songs in the album properly. I'm not listening to the song comparatively, I'm just listening to them.

This is my track-breakdown based on my first listen of the new album.
1- On the Backs of Angels remains a great song. 9/10
2- Build Me Up, Break Me Down is, in my opinion, the kind of song I was expecting from AM. Really cool song, great chorus. That being said, I will probably listen to it a lot less than most other songs on the album (the energy of the song needs me in the right mood to really appreciate it). 8/10
3- Lost Not Forgotten - Though the first couple of minutes are brilliant, I felt the rest of the song was not really that good. The part more or less in the middle of the song (where the snippet ended) is also amazing, but I just haven't gotten into this song yet. Maybe with a few more listens... 7/10
4- This Is The Life - Wow, this totally blew me away. I had some relatively low expectations for this song, but it's completely amazing! I love the way the chorus sounds different every time it comes around and the intro is brilliant! Very, very good song! 9/10 (maybe 9.5/10)
5- Bridges in the Sky - Another song that really got me, because I wasn't expecting it to be so good. The chorus (and its extended version) are incredible. 8.5/10, at least.
6- Outcry - This one was exactly as I expected! Though I can agree with people saying it had too little vocal activity, I absolutely loved the instrumental section. Still, too much going on for me to be sure how much I like it. 8.5/10, at least.
7- Far From Heaven - Seems I'm one of the few who thinks this, but this is one of the most beautiful songs I have heard in a very long time. The piano composition is beautiful and LaBrie sings with such emotion that it is hard not to feel this song. It's no epic, it's a short, simply beautiful song. 10/10
8- Breaking All Illusions - Like Outcry, I feel there could be a little more singing on this song, though I would rather have it extended with vocals than having them simply put on the song as it is. Regardless of that, one of the more positive sounding DT tracks and absolutely brilliant. As I listened to it, I saw myself often smiling like a fool. My favourite moments of the whole album are probably on this song. 10/10
9- Beneath the Surface - This is one of the few songs that did not surprise me (positively or negatively). Simple, moving, beautiful. Love the solos closer to the end. Only problem for me is I don't really get the lyrics... What is going on in that song? The basic premise I got (I think), but the chorus really confuses me. Still 9.5/10

All in all, the album is quite varied and the "ballads" are definitely winners, maybe some of the best DT has ever done.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: *OFFICIAL* A Dramatic Turn Of Events discussion thread -- **SPOILER ALERT!!!**
« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2011, 10:28:18 AM »
WOW, Bridges in the Sky is fucking amazing.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2011, 10:30:22 AM »
Alright, alright. I'm sorry, but this record so far just doesn't give me the DT feeling at all. And since this is with a new line up, that's in fact not weird at all. Ofcourse something has changed. I thought it would be for the better but as it turns out, I can't get any enjoyment out of this at all.

Sorry I keep returning, I'm going to leave y'all (now really..) and come back if I'm getting warmed up for this record.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2011, 10:32:14 AM »
Holy lol at the intro to Bridges in the Sky. Is that a Shaman's "LOL" I'm hearing?

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2011, 10:33:05 AM »

9- Beneath the Surface - This is one of the few songs that did not surprise me (positively or negatively). Simple, moving, beautiful. Love the solos closer to the end. Only problem for me is I don't really get the lyrics... What is going on in that song? The basic premise I got (I think), but the chorus really confuses me. Still 9.5/10

It's about a lack of communication of thoughts and feelings between two people and the rift that separates them as a result, all the while those feelings quietly wait in the background.
At least that's what I got out of it.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »

It's about a lack of communication of thoughts and feelings between two people and the rift that separates them as a result, all the while those feelings quietly wait in the background.

And they are almost certainly the best lyrics JP has penned in about 10 years.

Offline wilgod3p

« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2011, 10:39:23 AM »
after maybe 5-6 listens, my favourite song is Bridges in the sky.

Does anyone think this album is a kind of mix of Images and Words(for the vocal) and systematic chaos(for the instrumental part) ???

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2011, 10:40:12 AM »
Shaaaah
Maaaaahn
Take
Maaaaah
Haaaaaaaaand!

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2011, 10:40:34 AM »
*BUUUUURP*
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »
Holy lol at the intro to Bridges in the Sky. Is that a Shaman's "LOL" I'm hearing?

Someone eventually had too. :biggrin:

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2011, 10:40:54 AM »
Any thoughts on JP sound? The MkV sounds AWESOME!!!

I thought my MkIIc would be my last amp, but i am starting to feel weak!

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2011, 10:41:20 AM »
The beginning of the BAI instrumental section really sounds like heavy Yes on speed to me. Awesome. :biggrin:
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: September 09, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »

This is the best guitar tone he's had for a couple albums now, I think. Probably since his switched to the Music Man.

Offline Fjubb

« Reply #188 on: September 09, 2011, 10:43:18 AM »
I just noticed I had received an e-mail with a link to download the album (because I purchased the box set), and all my concerns regarding the stream not working for me went away. Then I noticed that the website I'm supposed to download it from isn't working either, probably due to heavy traffic.   :facepalm:

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 09, 2011, 10:44:00 AM »

This is the best guitar tone he's had for a couple albums now, I think. Probably since his switched to the Music Man.

I could not agree more. Lead's great but the rhythm hits you like a wall  :metal

Love the clean sound as well

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #190 on: September 09, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »
Loch ness awakens!

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #191 on: September 09, 2011, 10:44:53 AM »

I could not agree more. Lead's great but the rhythm hits you like a wall  :metal

A lot of it is due to the more powerful bass, it makes the lead parts overall way beefier.

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #192 on: September 09, 2011, 10:44:59 AM »
after maybe 5-6 listens, my favourite song is Bridges in the sky.

Does anyone think this album is a kind of mix of Images and Words(for the vocal) and systematic chaos(for the instrumental part) ???
Personally only a small portion of the album reminds me of SC. To my ears the instrumental parts are closer to Scenes and Six Degrees. Particularly Scenes.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Listen to the whole album now (SPOILERS: ADToE Discussion Thread)
« Reply #193 on: September 09, 2011, 10:45:20 AM »
YES RANKINGS

Lost Not Forgotten
Bridges in the Sky
This is the Life
Breaking All Illusions
On the Backs of Angels
Far From Heaven
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Beneath the Surface
Outcry

I haven't been able to listen yet... but I think I'll equate Outcry on a level with Scarred  (On the Blob scale)  :biggrin: :lol  Which means it's  :metal :metal for me   Thanks Blob!! ;)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #194 on: September 09, 2011, 10:47:05 AM »
YES RANKINGS

Lost Not Forgotten
Bridges in the Sky
This is the Life
Breaking All Illusions
On the Backs of Angels
Far From Heaven
Build Me Up, Break Me Down
Beneath the Surface
Outcry

I haven't been able to listen yet... but I think I'll equate Outcry on a level with Scarred  (On the Blob scale)  :biggrin: :lol  Which means it's  :metal :metal for me   Thanks Blob!! ;)

:lol No, it's not on the Scarred scale. I don't dislike anything about Outcry, I just don't find it particularly interesting overall compared to the rest.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Millais

« Reply #195 on: September 09, 2011, 10:47:55 AM »
really surprised to the reaction of Bridges in the Sky. that was the song i had most hope for from the album, yet it hasn't quite delivered. Yet, anyway.
Mind you, Lost Not Forgotten I had the least hope for and it's INCREDIBLE and my favourite so you never know what could happen with a few more listens!

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #196 on: September 09, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »
Rankings:

Beneath the Surface
This is the Life
Breaking All Illusions
Bridges in the Sky
Far from Heaven
Outcry
Lost Not Forgotton
On the Backs of Angels
Build Me Up, Break me Down

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #197 on: September 09, 2011, 10:49:16 AM »

A lot of it is due to the more powerful bass, it makes the lead parts overall way beefier.

Don't think so, on this one you can isolate the bass. No need to reinforce the guitar on this one. Gain monster!!!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: September 09, 2011, 10:49:23 AM »
I don't dislike anything about Outcry, I just don't find it particularly interesting overall compared to the rest.

I agree. There's really nothing wrong with it, I just don't find anything that interesting about it. The chorus isn't really that strong either.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Listen to the whole album now
« Reply #199 on: September 09, 2011, 10:49:30 AM »

It sounds like a modern day LtL. Especially the first verse  :hefdaddy

Precisely what I thought.  It's brilliant.

Can't say a bad thing about any song on the album.  Beneath the Surface could possibly be the best ballad DT has ever done.  Several of the lyrics give me chills just looking at them.   After just a few listens, it already strikes me better than BCSL did.  James sounds better than he has in a very long time.  There are a few instrumental melodies and progressions that seem 'familiar', or like a case of (strange) deja vu.  Just like how Home, Sacrificed Sons, and ITPOE pt 2 have a similar groove during their instrumental sections, I guess after 11 albums, it's hard not to pull from some old themes.  

Overall, I feel like it's a more 'back-to-basics' sound for DT - I like the more "prog" feel to it than the "heavier" feel that they were going with a lot of SC and BCSL.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2011, 10:49:39 AM »
Beneath ther Surface has a very similar vibe to the end of TCOT, in a sort of reflective, contemplative, after the deluge type vibe. Me likey.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #201 on: September 09, 2011, 10:49:49 AM »
OH NO
The page is not responding

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: September 09, 2011, 10:50:21 AM »
Wow, Outcry is probably the best instrumental section since Intervals. :biggrin:

Edit: No, it's way better.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #203 on: September 09, 2011, 10:50:39 AM »
I also thing that LNF is not receiving the love it deserves!!!

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #204 on: September 09, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
I just love this album, seriously. It's amazing in every way. My favorites are easily Breaking All Illusions and Beneath the Surface but that's just because they're so freakin' good.

Beneath the Surface...I can't get enough of this song. The lyrics, the melodies, the instrumentation, the arrangement, but most of all JAMES LABRIE. Oh, good god. That song is just incredible.

And I'm saying this after quite a few listens of the album and over 30 listens of Beneath the Surface, as the album is officially out in Israel for a few days now.

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: September 09, 2011, 10:56:05 AM »
After hearing OTBOA and the snippets i was skeptic about the guitar sound (damn Youtube). But this is probably the best guitar sound i EVER heard.  :hefdaddy  Not even saying anything about the playing. Mouth's still open.  :hefdaddy

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #206 on: September 09, 2011, 10:57:22 AM »
Is it weird that i love every song on this album? No seriously EVERY SONG. My favorite since Awake I think.

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #207 on: September 09, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »

I had gotten that (though you described it much better than I could...). Here's the first chorus (I wrote it down from the stream, so it might be wrong):

Until one day I started caring
And began to forget
Why I longed to be so close
And I disappeared into the darkness
And the darkness turned to pain
And never went away
Until all that remained was buried
Deep beneath the surface

I don't get what "started caring" or "began to forget" means in this context.
The only thing I can think of is this: In this relationship (described in the quote) the person singing started to act pridefully ("I don't need her/him!"/"Strong independent woman" ideology) and then drifted away from his beloved. This denial of his love caused him to suffer and live a shadow of the life he wished he led. Though he might not show it, the pain, the darkness and ultimately also the love are still there, buried inside of him.
Does this make any sense?

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: September 09, 2011, 10:58:50 AM »
Is it weird that i love every song on this album? No seriously EVERY SONG. My favorite since Awake I think.

Not weird at all. MASTERPIECE.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #209 on: September 09, 2011, 10:59:32 AM »
Wow, Outcry is probably the best instrumental section since Intervals. :biggrin:

Edit: No, it's way better.

Pretty daring to make that kind of proclimation so quick.  It might turn out that way, but after 100s of listens to Intervals, I'm surprised one could say "way better" after just a few listens.  That's like saying BAI is "way better" than LtL.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion