Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 353664 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: The Official Opeth Thread v. NEW ALBUM?!?!
« Reply #1645 on: September 02, 2011, 08:28:23 PM »
Pretty disappointed thus far

what? It's like the greatest thing ever.

Sorry, but the album bored me for the most part. Perhaps it'll grow with a few listens but there's not a whole lot of memorable parts or vocal melodies or anything in my **humble opinion**.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1646 on: September 02, 2011, 08:50:15 PM »
It really is. Might be their best since BWP.

Ten bucks says you've said that on every album since BWP.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1647 on: September 02, 2011, 08:56:25 PM »
It really is. Might be their best since BWP.

Ten bucks says you've said that on every album since BWP.

.... no I haven't?

I haven't even been an Opeth fan that long. I started listening after Watershed was released.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1648 on: September 02, 2011, 08:57:25 PM »
Oh, then let me rephrase...

You will continue to say that for every Opeth album that will ever be released.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1649 on: September 02, 2011, 08:58:36 PM »
Cole, go listen to Machine Head or something.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1650 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
I will.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1651 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:54 PM »
Alright then.
I AM A GUY

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1652 on: September 02, 2011, 09:05:33 PM »
I like it so far, bit of a letdown though, not as "proggy" as I thought it would be.
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1653 on: September 02, 2011, 09:06:42 PM »
While I don't always agree with Ryan, his opinions on things are usually pretty solid. You just gotta give him like a good two weeks to get out of his "BEST EVER" phase when he hears new stuff and after that you can get a pretty good assessment out of him. It's not just Ryan either, a lot of people are this way.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1654 on: September 02, 2011, 09:08:05 PM »
While I don't always agree with Ryan, his opinions on things are usually pretty solid. You just gotta give him like a good two weeks to get out of his "BEST EVER" phase when he hears new stuff and after that you can get a pretty good assessment out of him. It's not just Ryan either, a lot of people are this way.

I feel like I'm starting to come to a realization.

This usually only happens when I'm drunk. And I'm drunk quite a bit...
I AM A GUY

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1655 on: September 02, 2011, 09:09:10 PM »
Best post ever, though I may revise my opinion in a week or so.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1656 on: September 02, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »
I was halfway through Slither, and I realized something....Opeth is my favorite band, and for that reason, I'm actually going to wait until release day to listen to the whole thing. I normally never do this, but this is an exception.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1657 on: September 02, 2011, 09:12:38 PM »
I was halfway through Slither, and I realized something....Opeth is my favorite band, and for that reason, I'm actually going to wait until release day to listen to the whole thing. I normally never do this, but this is an exception.
I really really really dont understand why people do this. I mean, it would make sense if you're getting the boxset or something maybe.
I AM A GUY

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1658 on: September 02, 2011, 09:13:29 PM »
:tup :tup

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1659 on: September 02, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
I'm waiting as well, of course :)

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1660 on: September 02, 2011, 09:16:13 PM »
I really really really dont understand why people do this. I mean, it would make sense if you're getting the boxset or something maybe.

Like I said, I never do this. Opeth is a really special band for me, moreso than any other band. I feel they deserve the respect I can give them by waiting until I have a copy of the album to listen to it.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1661 on: September 02, 2011, 09:17:45 PM »
Personally I don't think the band really cares when or how you listen to the album, but that's cool I guess.
I AM A GUY

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1662 on: September 02, 2011, 09:18:33 PM »
 :lol

I know they don't. I'm doing it for me; it's more of a personal thing.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1663 on: September 02, 2011, 10:46:13 PM »
Devin Townsend is my favorite person in the entire omniverse, and I still listened to Deconstruction the second I was able to. Lo and behold, favorite album ever.

*flame shield up* The lack of growls hurts this album very much.
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1664 on: September 02, 2011, 10:54:38 PM »
But...what if there were to be two omniverses? Would he be your favorite person in both?

:neverusethis:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1665 on: September 02, 2011, 11:03:45 PM »
But...what if there were to be two omniverses? Would he be your favorite person in both?

:neverusethis:
He would be all 3.
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1666 on: September 02, 2011, 11:22:02 PM »

You accumulate more and more cool points with me by the day. They've been my fave since '04. Tell me when you got into them as well as some things like what the first song(s) you heard by them was/were and what made them stand head and shoulders above the rest.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1667 on: September 02, 2011, 11:52:31 PM »
The first Opeth song I ever heard was The Drapery Falls. I was reading reviews on Amazon and stumbled upon Blackwater Park. Some guy wrote a review that focused entirely on TDF without mentioning the rest of the album. I thought this was funny, but it intrigued me enough to make me listen to the song. I was floored. At the time, it was the most amazing piece of music I'd ever heard. (I was a hardcore metalhead at the time; all I listened to was Pantera, Slayer, Megadeth, etc). The Drapery Falls is now my 3rd favorite Opeth song, with only Deliverance and Ghost of Perdition beating it.

So from there, I got Blackwater Park. I credit that album for getting me out of my "metal-only" rut. It opened up so many doors for me to discover new music I would have previously ignored. Prog mostly, but it taught me not to pigeonhole my interests into one genre ever again. The second album I got was Ghost Reveries. Oh boy. I'm not even going to try to describe how much I love that album. It's my favorite album ever. I've listened to it more than anything else, and I never get tired of it. I go back to it all the time and I'm always stunned at how perfect it is. I could listen to it on repeat for the rest of my life. By extension, Ghost of Perdition is my all-time favorite song from any band.

After those two albums, I realized how special this band was, and I got everything they've released. (Minus the Lamentations DVD, I still need to get that...) The amount of quality music this band has put out is unsurpassed. I may not be big on Orchid, but I adore everything else, including Watershed. I sometimes playfully knock on that album, but it's only because it had the unfortunate task of following Ghost Reveries. It's still a nearly perfect piece of work.  

Pinpointing what makes this band so special for me is difficult. It's one of those things you feel that's impossible to put into words. If I have to try, I'll say that the atmosphere the music creates, and the emotions it makes me feel, is what keeps drawing me back to Opeth. The greatest thing about this band is their marriage of beauty with ugliness, gentleness with brutality, and good with evil. They make me feel as if it's ok to feel extreme emotions of any kind, as long as there's a healthy balance. They cover the whole spectrum.

Basically...their music feels complete, and it makes me feel complete. When I'm listening to Opeth I can feel powerful enough to climb a mountain one second, evil enough to slaughter a puppy the next, only to be brought back in by the feeling that I'm at peace with myself, and that the world isn't such a bad place after all. Listening to Opeth is an emotional roller-coaster ride, but an immensely satisfying one. I never get as involved in the listening process as I do with this band. It's so rewarding to just kick back, relax, and let Opeth's music take me places and teach me about myself.

So yeah...I think that covers it. Opeth is awesome.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:04:47 AM by Gadough »

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #1668 on: September 03, 2011, 12:04:24 AM »
as is Heritage.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #1669 on: September 03, 2011, 02:06:12 AM »
Nice post Gadough! Good read :)

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1670 on: September 03, 2011, 02:17:31 AM »
Pretty disappointed thus far

what? It's like the greatest thing ever.

Sorry, but the album bored me for the most part. Perhaps it'll grow with a few listens but there's not a whole lot of memorable parts or vocal melodies or anything in my **humble opinion**.

I agree. After my first listen I was pretty bored. But I know, you can't judge an album by one listen. I'll certainly give it more chances.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #1671 on: September 03, 2011, 02:20:41 AM »
Gadough....Ghost Of Perdition is also my favorite Opeth song........ROCK!

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1672 on: September 03, 2011, 02:22:37 AM »
 :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1673 on: September 03, 2011, 02:56:10 AM »
Good post indeed Drew. I first got into them by downloading a few random tracks since I remember seeing them be one of those brief darlings of guitar magazines from '02-'04 where they always mention (seemingly) the same 10-15 bands each issue for months at a time. The first song I listened to was Demon of the Fall. To this point I'd only been into Death and Cynic as far as pure roaring vocals went and was somewhat neutral toward that style at that point but I put up with it in order to enjoy the excellence of the music itself.

I dug the ominous vibe of it and once they went into the sus2 chords that eventually have the "run away, run awaaaayyy..." part sang over them I was really taking notice. Once I discovered they had "another guy" who handled clean vocals (I thought they had two different singers at first since I'd never seen a singer who did both at that point in time) I was floored to hear how much it enhanced the overall sound. I also had downloaded all of BWP minus TFP and the title track. Bleak's clean vocal chorus and the solo section that occurs during the acoustic section was chillingly amazing to me. I also liked Lopez's use of specifically non-metal drumming too the way he mixed it in with the more standard double bass passages.

After spending seven years with them as my favorite band I'm kinda dying for a new one but no other band out there seems to do it for me as much. I need to listen to more shit.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dynia

• Take care of your cardboard box and it'll take care of you.
« Reply #1674 on: September 03, 2011, 06:22:38 AM »
I've listened to it a few times and i have to say it isn't very good. Devil's Orchard, which I had been disappointed by when i first listened to it, turned out to be one of the best tracks. I also liked Nepenthe, Haxprocess, Famine and Folklore... the rest wasn't memorable at all.
Well, maybe it will grow on me.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:06:21 AM by Dynia »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1675 on: September 03, 2011, 07:47:29 AM »
Still trying to figure out if I like it or not. I generally don't like the notion of an album being a grower-to me, if it doesn't grab you at once one way or the other, it's not because its a grower, it's because it isn't good-but this one could be the exception to the rule.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1676 on: September 03, 2011, 09:28:46 AM »
What the hell did I just listen to?  :-\

Slither was about the only thing that even felt like a completed song. All I can say about the rest is that it reminds me of the Spinal Tap free-form jazz exploration.
Akerfeldt did an admirable job pushing his clean vocal abilities, but it really is lacking without his growls. The thing that made his vocals good were the contrast between his harsh and soft vocals, but he's never been all that strong a clean singer (although as this album is all softer, it fits alright). But that's not the major issue with the album. The songs just aren't there.

WTF/10.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1677 on: September 03, 2011, 09:35:34 AM »
All I can say about the rest is that it reminds me of the Spinal Tap free-form jazz exploration.

"This is Mikael Åkerfeldt... he wrote this."

I thought exactly the same as you, Blob.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1678 on: September 03, 2011, 10:44:24 AM »
Still trying to figure out if I like it or not. I generally don't like the notion of an album being a grower-to me, if it doesn't grab you at once one way or the other, it's not because its a grower, it's because it isn't good-but this one could be the exception to the rule.

Disagree with that.

Some of my favourite albums have took a while to grow on me.

As for Heritage, it will take some time. It's different, but I do miss the metal. Even without the growls, I miss the killer riffs and beats.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1679 on: September 03, 2011, 11:05:55 AM »
I agree completely with Blob... it definitely lacks the power of their past releases. And, I really enjoyed Watershed for the most part, though I find Still Life to be the album I enjoyed the most. In any case, Heritage has some cool moments and some interesting parts, but it's basically a big WTF moment for most of the songs, and, while I'm sure some will enjoy this, and I don't put down any who will, I don't find it particularly enjoyable myself.