Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 223188 times)

Online MirrorMask

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #630 on: April 07, 2020, 02:02:34 AM »
Finished the first season of The Crown, absolutely well done. The Queen and Churchill (John Lithgow) are spot on. Immersive and captivating for anyone who has even the slightiest interest in London and the UK.

Started part 3 of La Casa de Papel / Money Heist, spanish drama about a band of robbers assaulting the Mint of Spain. So far, so good, but I think it was perfect to end it after the first two parts.

Finished season 1 of Atypical, great stuff, and season 1 of Brooklyn 99 which is absolutely hilarous and funny.

Started with the first episode of Sex Education's season 2, which is as funny, witty and surprisingly interesting as season 1. Highly recommended.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pg1067

« Reply #631 on: April 07, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
I started watching season 1 of Cheers a while back and have recently picked it up again.

Funny stuff, although it's quite dated.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #632 on: April 10, 2020, 12:28:23 AM »
Started ‘Tales from the Loop’ on Amazon. Pretty interesting show. It’s like a less ate up version of Black Mirror.....but it’s still got that twilight zone vibe. The second episode legit messed with me. Like, it still is sitting weird in my mind.

Also been watching ‘Devs’ on Hulu. That show is weird as well but in a cool way. One episode to go on that one next Wednesday.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #633 on: April 10, 2020, 05:03:52 AM »
I just finished the Penny Dreadful series. Really good acting and only 3 seasons. The series is on Netflix.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #634 on: April 10, 2020, 05:11:32 AM »
I just finished the Penny Dreadful series. Really good acting and only 3 seasons. The series is on Netflix.

A shame it ended so soon. Eva Green completely DOMINATED that series and she was absolutely fenomenal and worthy of every possible award there can be for TV. She was so continously great and awesome that I even forgot what a total hot babe she is. Class and skills so great to the point that they were outshining the beauty, which is something she definitively doesn't lack.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #635 on: April 11, 2020, 11:03:34 PM »
Oh man, I am catching up on Season 1 of What We Do In The Shadows. Episode 7 was amazing!

This show started out slow in the first few episodes but really hit its stride and is just hilarious. Looking forward to the upcoming second season.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #636 on: April 12, 2020, 06:16:08 AM »
We just completed October Faction on Netflix.   Reallly liked the show. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: April 12, 2020, 03:51:04 PM »
Started ‘Tales from the Loop’ on Amazon. Pretty interesting show. It’s like a less ate up version of Black Mirror.....but it’s still got that twilight zone vibe. The second episode legit messed with me. Like, it still is sitting weird in my mind

Finished this series. It’s pretty neat. Definitely a Twighlight Zone/ Black Mirror genre. But again, some of the things that happens to these characters really messes with me. Without giving too much away...... ‘time’ is an underlying theme and the way they use it telling the stories....for me at least.....hit some emotion

I think being a parent and the feelings associated with that payed a pretty big role as to why some of the stuff got to me.

I recommend the show,  Very interesting.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #638 on: April 13, 2020, 10:28:58 PM »
Late to the game, but finally started The Outsider tonight. WOW! Gripping first episode. Got through 2 and didn't want to stop, but I have to get ready for bed.

Also have the season 3 premiere of Killing Eve to get to.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #639 on: April 14, 2020, 09:57:33 AM »
So I watched the first two Episodes of 'Dark' on Netflix. I've heard a ton of people talk about how good it is. My neighbor has been on me a while to watch it. I'm only two in so obviously it's still early.....can't tell if I'm hooked yet or not. I know it deals with time travel so I'm sure this takes a bit to set up and get going. I'll give it a few more episodes to 'hook' me. At the moment I'm on the fence.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #640 on: April 14, 2020, 10:01:06 AM »
Dark is one of those shows where I think the time travel aspect is the tighest part of the show. It sets rules and adds so much complexity to it yet it never deviates from breaking any of the rules. It's such an intricate web of plots that I think is one of the best executed shows in that aspect.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #641 on: April 14, 2020, 10:02:30 AM »
I watched it and I want to rewatch it eventually, before going on with season 2. The mindfuckery was too much for a single viewing experience.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #642 on: April 14, 2020, 10:06:25 AM »
Dark is one of those shows where I think the time travel aspect is the tighest part of the show. It sets rules and adds so much complexity to it yet it never deviates from breaking any of the rules. It's such an intricate web of plots that I think is one of the best executed shows in that aspect.

This is what I keep hearing. See, I loved 'Continuum' and '12 Monkeys' on SyFy because both those shows were time travel heavy and it was done so well. Same thing, they didn't break the rules they set and it never got 'cheesy' like most time travel shows do.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #643 on: April 14, 2020, 10:26:42 AM »
Haven't seen either Continuum or 12 Monkeys but heard great things, I imagine Dark is similar in that aspect of sticking within the established framework.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #644 on: April 14, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »
Haven't seen either Continuum or 12 Monkeys but heard great things, I imagine Dark is similar in that aspect of sticking within the established framework.

Yeah....both are pretty good. Continuum kind of got the short end of the stick as SyFy cancelled it out of the blue.....fans go ticked and petitioned for a final season so SyFy caved and gave it like (6) episodes to wrap the story up. It was done well but you could tell they had a 'better' story in mind they had to speed the pace up on.

12 Monkey's was just a blast from start to finish.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #645 on: April 14, 2020, 10:42:49 AM »
Continuum was amazing. They really needed those extra 2 seasons or whatever. The ending was SUPER rushed, but the very actual ending was amazingly well done and clearly planned from the beginning. Probably the best ending to a time travel story.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #646 on: April 15, 2020, 01:48:51 AM »
Back for season 3 of Peaky fookin' Blinders  :metal

Plowing through all the episodes of Brooklyn 99 like there's no tomorrow.

And I started watching the minseries Unhortodox, about a jewish woman fleeing from New York to Berlin to escape his husband and, more specifically, the close-knit jew community she lived into. Seems interesting, even though I just saw one episodes so her motives for running away are not perfectyl clear yet.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #647 on: April 15, 2020, 05:46:57 AM »
Continuum was amazing. They really needed those extra 2 seasons or whatever. The ending was SUPER rushed, but the very actual ending was amazingly well done and clearly planned from the beginning. Probably the best ending to a time travel story.

Blob would agree with you.  We talked about that show all the time.

Back for season 3 of Peaky fookin' Blinders  :metal

Plowing through all the episodes of Brooklyn 99 like there's no tomorrow.

And I started watching the minseries Unhortodox, about a jewish woman fleeing from New York to Berlin to escape his husband and, more specifically, the close-knit jew community she lived into. Seems interesting, even though I just saw one episodes so her motives for running away are not perfectyl clear yet.

I can't tell you how many times I've rewound a scene to hear a Holt line.  His deadpan kills me all the time.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 06:45:15 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #648 on: April 15, 2020, 06:37:35 AM »
I. do not. peruse.

:lol

The actor that plays his husband stars in The Good Place, created by Michael Schur who is co-creator of Brooklyn 99 as well. He's too a deadpan character in that show, and I assume he learnt from the guy playing Holt, he's amazing.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #649 on: April 15, 2020, 06:41:12 AM »

The wife and I started watching this last night, we got halfway through. Very interesting series for sure, my wife is actually very fascinated by the Hasidic community and knows a lot about it and has watched countless documentaries about them. She keeps telling me about several of the practices as they show them in the episode.

It's a very interesting series.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #650 on: April 15, 2020, 11:43:13 AM »

This is such a strange show. Strange in a good way. I'm (6) episodes in now and I guess you could say I'm hooked. Not because it's so over the top 'good'.....but the show does a really good job at making you want to stick around and find out the 'next' tidbit of info. to try and connect and make sense of it all.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #651 on: April 15, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »

Maybe it's because I'm Jewish and have pretty strong (negative) feelings toward the ultra orthodox communities, but I thought Unorthodox was just amazing. I'm not sure how people with no connection with the community really relate to it or if it will just be boring, but I almost cried a few times and just absolutely loved it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #652 on: April 16, 2020, 01:30:30 AM »
Well, knowing next to nothing about their culture, I'll take it at face value and assume they got the costumes and the rituals right (I mean, a show cannot invent that kissing the... the thing on the wall thing upon entering the house, right? it must be an actual tradition), while knowing of course it's a show and not a faithful documentary, and that artistic licenses might apply.

I've seen the second episode; I find interesting that, all in all, the actual husband seems like a decent and normal guy, so the problem isn't the guy per se, but the rest of it. I mean, even what seems - future plot twists notwhistanding - a decent and caring husband wasn't enough to allow Esty to keep up with everything else about that society.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:48:48 AM by MirrorMask »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #653 on: April 16, 2020, 07:02:16 AM »
My sister is a big Netflix person so we started watching The Frankenstein Chronicles together. Sean Bean plays a tormented Victorian cop tasked to find someone stitching corpses together. I love Sean Bean so naturally I love this, even though it's just a formulaic grimdark Netflix thing  :lol and I have already noticed some things that might be Sharpe references, so we might just end up swerving into watching Sharpe... again.  :heart

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #654 on: April 16, 2020, 09:34:46 AM »
My sister is a big Netflix person so we started watching The Frankenstein Chronicles together. Sean Bean plays a tormented Victorian cop tasked to find someone stitching corpses together. I love Sean Bean so naturally I love this, even though it's just a formulaic grimdark Netflix thing  :lol and I have already noticed some things that might be Sharpe references, so we might just end up swerving into watching Sharpe... again.  :heart

I really liked The Frankenstein Chronicles.  I'm watching Medici now, which also has Sean Bean in the second and third seasons.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: April 16, 2020, 11:11:42 AM »
I'm watching Medici now, which also has Sean Bean in the second and third seasons.
We might watch that one later then. Man, he is such a terrific actor. For the amount of similar characters he plays, the way he makes them feel like completely different people is fantastic.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #656 on: April 16, 2020, 01:48:47 PM »
90 Day Fiance - Before The 90 Days

So this is an odd show.  It's idiots people who have/are in a long distance (international) relationship, and are on the cusp of starting the 90-day period for a visa (for one of the parties) to come to America.

The current season has I think six couples.

One, from CT is just a... she's annoying, typical reality TV wanna be.  Bad botox, fillers, fake boobs, wondering "why can't I find love?" but every exchange is a profanity-laced egomaniacal explosion.  I fast-forward these parts.

One is a sweet older woman who fell for a man named "Williams" who is as buff as the Rock. They've been "together" for several months, she's sent him money, but all of a sudden - poof! - his Instagram account gets shut down and hell breaks loose.  Her daughter finds out his number is Nigerian, and even more hijinks ensue.  Now she got an email from an unknown email address threatening to release "personal intimate" photos, and she's - get this - confused, because she only sent these to "Williams".  I find this arc to be sad.

One is a 55-ish woman from Pennsylvania who is borderline annoying typical reality TV wanna-be, dating a 20-something Nigerian man who wants to come to American to be a rap star, "Sojaboy".   He's no prize, but he's still WAY out of her league, and yet she's a typical American bred on reality TV, lot of swearing, not a lot of self-awareness, etc.   I only watch this because it's funny watching him try to maneuver around his family/country traditions while still trying to further his music career.

Then it gets interesting, and, to me, fascinating.

There's the 40 year old ex-con (with some of the worst tattoos I've ever seen) trying to "find love" with a 30 year old Russian woman.  He wants love, not just someone who wants to use him to get to America, and yet... she says all the right things but her actions tend to betray her.  He has a friend in America - woman - who is gorgeous and in one call (while he is in Russia) basically offers herself to him (not physically, emotionally) and he's oblivious. Sad meter:  5/10.

There's the 50-ish man - he's 4'11", easily 200+ pounds and zero neck - who has, he believes, found true love with "Rose", a Filipino woman with a son who "loves" him, and will - if she has to - move her and her son to America... but she will not address her past (the show hints that she may have been a sex worker) and when he visits, he finds she lives in a shack with barely running water, but no indoor plumbing or anything like that.  Sad meter:  6/10.

There's the 60 year old man who has had a 7-year relationship with a Russian woman "Lana", who - according to her pictures - is gorgeous.  Even though he's been to Ukraine three times already, they've never met, they've never spoken on the phone, and only converse over this "dating" website with a translator.  But she tells him she loves him and wants to marry him.  He's got a friend in Ukraine - a woman he met on the same website around the time he met Lana - who has since found her own love and she's told him repeatedly that this is a scam, but he still drove to her hometown to try to find her.   I feel so bad for this guy, because he's so wrapped up in this - he's spent over $100,000 on that website - he cannot see reality.  She blew him off again on his fourth trip to Ukraine, and he keeps saying "this is make or break!" but she does the bare minimum to keep him stringing along.    Sad meter: 9/10. 

I dislike reality TV for a lot of reasons, but most of them are related to the super-inflated sense of place that most of the people have on these shows.  They're delusional and not in a good way (that, and the ridiculous idea that the cameras do not effect the "reality" we're watching).   But these three men are so... pathetic, but so earnest at the same time, that it's like watching a toddler ride a bike, and you KNOW they are going to fall and crash, but you have to sort of let them find their own legs.   

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #657 on: April 18, 2020, 06:59:52 PM »
I'm a few days late jumping in on the Continuum love, but that was an incredible series, and remarkably well 'wrapped up' when only given 6 episodes to do so (and the fx suffered because of it as well).  Another time travel show that was fantastic - and wrapped up just as strongly (if not better) - was Travellers.  Highly recommend that one too.

I've had Dark sitting in "My List" for quite some time - along with a lot of others... and now another one (Ragnarok), thanks to Joe :getoffmylawn:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: April 18, 2020, 07:28:51 PM »
Second the Travelers love. Great show. Was bummed it ended but honestly.....that was a perfect little series.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: April 18, 2020, 08:00:08 PM »
Ragnarok only 6 episodes but so worth it!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #660 on: April 19, 2020, 03:01:53 AM »
Ragnarok only 6 episodes but so worth it!

I found it a bit average, but the landscapes were enough to continue watching.
Also, I want to live in the Jutul house.

As for me, I finished watching Unorthodox (young bride escapes from the ultra orthodox jew community in New York to Berlin where her mother lives). Maybe 4 episodes were not enough to tell the story, with 6 it would have already breathed more, but it was intense and captivating. The actress was phenomenal, half of the time I wanted to reach out through the screen to give her a hug.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: April 19, 2020, 03:53:58 AM »
Started watching a cute cartoon called The Dragon Prince. The animation is lovely, the writing is for 13-year-olds but my inner 13-year-old enjoyed it. Also apparently I cry when I see a gorgeous animated dragon.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #662 on: April 20, 2020, 12:18:03 AM »
Started watching Colony the other day, it's decent but gets better I feel.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #663 on: April 20, 2020, 01:20:57 AM »

Really cool show but be warned.....it never got a proper send off. It was cancelled after the third season. But, don’t let that stop ya. It’s a fun watch.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #664 on: April 20, 2020, 01:57:02 AM »

Really cool show but be warned.....it never got a proper send off. It was cancelled after the third season. But, don’t let that stop ya. It’s a fun watch.
Oh damn, that's a shame. Actually didn't know that. I'm not suprised though, new sci-fi shows in general don't survive for very long unless they really blow up.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls