Author Topic: The Boys (Amazon Prime exclusive)  (Read 16723 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: The Boys (Amazon Prime exclusive)
« Reply #210 on: June 11, 2024, 02:39:36 PM »
Season 4 is starting in a couple of days. It was also announced that the show would end with season 5.
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/the-boys-season-5-final-season-1236033418/

I wonder if they're going to be setting up more spinoffs, Gen V was fantastic and I wouldn't mind those kind of spinoffs.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #211 on: June 11, 2024, 02:44:09 PM »
Glad it's ending at 5. Let them end on their terms without it dragging on.

I'm sure Gen V will go a few seasons and there will be a few more spin offs. As long as they can each be original and not just more of the same, I'd say they're good to go.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #212 on: June 12, 2024, 04:22:19 AM »
I heard there are two more spin-off's in play (as well as Gen V).  One set in Mexico and another that is secret.

Online BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #213 on: June 12, 2024, 04:49:16 AM »
Looking forward to season 4.

Yeah stopping at 5 seems like a respectable and responsible choice.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2024, 10:50:19 PM »
Finished the first 3 episodes that dropped. It's a bit scaled back with the typical The Boys humor and scenes lol.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #215 on: June 14, 2024, 12:40:27 PM »
Watched the first two episodes and while it is ‘The Boyz’ and has that feel I will say I’m a bit underwhelmed so far……me not hammering out all three available episodes should point to how ‘meh’ I felt after the first two.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online The Realm

« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2024, 04:14:03 PM »
Great to have this show back. I loved the first 2 episodes of season 4 but thought episode 3 was a bit slower. I'm not a big 'laugh out loud' person but I did laugh loudly a few times during the first 2 episodes and I loved the Will Farrell cameo.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2024, 08:11:00 AM »
Watched the first two episodes and while it is ‘The Boyz’ and has that feel I will say I’m a bit underwhelmed so far……me not hammering out all three available episodes should point to how ‘meh’ I felt after the first two.

After finishing the third episode I’m still firmly in the camp of this being the weakest three episode run of the series. Literally been nothing ‘exciting’ happen and the storyline(s) they’re pushing/setting up are pretty lame.

Especially the page from Disney where I guess Amazon has to keep pace with the nod to the LGBTQ folks with a completely unnecessary Frenchie storyline. He’s a great side character but this ‘deep dive’ into his story isn’t needed. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: June 18, 2024, 02:28:00 PM »
Honestly, I'm enjoying some of the slower, more character focused scenes. I really liked the scenes with Butcher and Ryan having a heart to heart.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2024, 08:53:56 AM »
After finishing the third episode I’m still firmly in the camp of this being the weakest three episode run of the series.

I'd probably agree with this (although I seem to recall Season 2 had a slow start to?).  Still enjoying it a lot - I guess they are now writing towards the endgame, so this will probably be more of a setup season, with hopefully the final season giving the payoff.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #220 on: June 19, 2024, 09:13:11 AM »
Honestly, I'm enjoying some of the slower, more character focused scenes. I really liked the scenes with Butcher and Ryan having a heart to heart.

I'm with you on the Butcher/Ryan relationship building going on. That has been good to watch/see.

But you can't build an action packed, insanely paced and executed series focused around a few key characters and then suddenly switch to an expose around, meaningless....ancillary characters and slow the action to a crawl and expect folks to remain fully engaged. Even if they're building to something the pace and feel of the show is 'off' from previous seasons.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2024, 09:43:26 AM »
I think you are misjudging just how much action there was in the first couple of series. And colin has been featured for about 5 minutes total this season.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: June 19, 2024, 09:59:20 AM »
I think you are misjudging just how much action there was in the first couple of series. And colin has been featured for about 5 minutes total this season.

Maybe.......but I've never thought to myself how boring the show or an episode was in any other season and I've done it three times so far in S4

Offline Adami

« Reply #223 on: June 19, 2024, 10:04:20 AM »
Only two episodes in and I’m enjoying it.

I like it when it slows down and focuses on character. I’ve already seen lots of fighting and gore.

The only thing that was a bit annoying was Kamiko (that her name?) derailing a mission to tell Frenchy to get laid. I don’t mind that actual storyline, but it felt like a very odd place for it.

Also Gary, this has been the most (to my memory) critical of conservatives season. I wonder if that is hampering your enjoyment as well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #224 on: June 19, 2024, 10:12:49 AM »
Also Gary, this has been the most (to my memory) critical of conservatives season. I wonder if that is hampering your enjoyment as well.

Could very well be the case Adami. It's across the board on a few shows I'm watching where I roll my eyes more and more

I get it....."conservatives" who believe in traditional american values are EVIL and need to go  :censored themselves. Message received loud and clear from nearly every media outlet out there.  :tup

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2024, 04:44:36 AM »
I just don't ascribe to the idea that everytime there's an LGBTQ angle, it MUST be because of a woke/liberal agenda at play, and that it's completely unnecessary.  LGBTQ people exist in society, so there's every reason they should exist in on the small and big screen.  I see the angle with Colin as an outlet to dig in to Frenchie's past and further develop his character.  Same thing with the Shining Light girl that recognized Kamiko.  The show has always done something to dig into a character's past - Butcher's brother, Becca, Annie's pageants, A-Train's / Homelander's childhood.  I don't see the Colin/Frenchie angle any differently.

I enjoyed the first three episodes plenty.  The "Vought on Ice" scene was awesome, and the mirror scene with Homelander was fantastic as well.  The tensions between Neuman and Singer are going to be fun to watch; same with the friction between Neuman and Homelander.  I'm liking Sage, but I'm hope they unveil her motivation to be all Stalin/Mussolini, as that seemed kinda sudden.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: June 20, 2024, 07:24:56 AM »
I just don't ascribe to the idea that everytime there's an LGBTQ angle, it MUST be because of a woke/liberal agenda at play, and that it's completely unnecessary.  LGBTQ people exist in society, so there's every reason they should exist in on the small and big screen.  I see the angle with Colin as an outlet to dig in to Frenchie's past and further develop his character.  Same thing with the Shining Light girl that recognized Kamiko.  The show has always done something to dig into a character's past - Butcher's brother, Becca, Annie's pageants, A-Train's / Homelander's childhood.  I don't see the Colin/Frenchie angle any differently.

The difference is those characters are 'main' characters and a big part of the show. This side quest of Frenchie's past etc etc takes time away from the main characters.....his character is not important enough to be wasting screen time on IMO. Let him be in the scenes where 'The Boys' are working and what not. Don't need a deep dive into Frenchie at this point. He's not a supe or anything like that...he's an ancillary character.

Offline Adami

« Reply #227 on: June 20, 2024, 07:27:41 AM »
The difference is those characters are 'main' characters and a big part of the show. This side quest of Frenchie's past etc etc takes time away from the main characters.....his character is not important enough to be wasting screen time on IMO. Let him be in the scenes where 'The Boys' are working and what not. Don't need a deep dive into Frenchie at this point. He's not a supe or anything like that...he's an ancillary character.

Really? Frenchie seems like a main character to me, at least as much as Mother's Milk, who also got a good amount of back story.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #228 on: June 20, 2024, 08:46:34 AM »
Frenchie is 1000% a main character.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #229 on: June 20, 2024, 09:11:43 AM »
Jeez the gore in episode 4 was just something else, I wasn't repulsed, I just laughed. Probably not the right reaction.  :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #230 on: June 20, 2024, 10:00:25 AM »
Frenchie is 1000% a main character.

Most definitely, and I wouldn't say there is a singular main character in this show. Sure, Butcher and Homelander get a ton of screen time but everyone else around them seems just as important to the story. Every puzzle has its pieces and they're all important.

Jeez the gore in episode 4 was just something else, I wasn't repulsed, I just laughed. Probably not the right reaction.  :lol

Episode four was NUTS with the gore. All the bits with Homelander were so tense and executed flawlessly. Antony Starr is fantastic.

I could see some folks balking at the "side quest" that Hughie and Kimiko had, but it was nice to see them stand up for themselves this episode, and for Frenchie to fess up. I feel like everyone but MM had a good spotlight this episode, which is fine cuz MM had the spotlight previously.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2024, 10:19:27 AM »

He's a main character.

Offline Adami

« Reply #232 on: June 20, 2024, 10:23:59 AM »

He's a main character.

:lol where do you find these things??
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #233 on: June 20, 2024, 10:32:26 AM »
You don't have a script ready to produce these on demand? :P

I jest, fans nerdier than I often do screentime breakdowns for their shows/characters, so I just googled "the boys screen time character" and this was in one of the first results.

Offline Adami

« Reply #234 on: June 20, 2024, 10:33:40 AM »
You don't have a script ready to produce these on demand? :P

I jest, fans nerdier than I often do screentime breakdowns for their shows/characters, so I just googled "the boys screen time character" and this was in one of the first results.

See, that's a difference between us.

Someone: XJ, I don't think Frenchie is a main character
XJ: Here are some well researched graphs to prove that he is.

Someone: Adami, I don't think Frenchie is a main character.
Me: Yea, he is.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: June 20, 2024, 12:35:10 PM »

Hughie's not a supe either, but I ain't seen you griping about the time spent with Scottie and his mom :biggrin:
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #236 on: June 20, 2024, 01:49:56 PM »
Finished episode 4.

I'm mostly digging this season. I agree that the Frenchie side story is a bit..off. Not cause it's bi, but because it just seems directionless? Hardly unique to The Boys. So many of these types of shows force in a romance/relationship subplot that seems a bit unnecessary. But that's just me.

I am very interested in where A Train is going this season (and maybe next). I'm a huge fan of the redemption arc and am hoping they don't just revert him to being the bad guy again just to return to status quo. I guess it's also just as likely he'll go the way of the Ashmore guy and die in the process.

Also hoping for something with the kid.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #237 on: June 20, 2024, 03:12:02 PM »
Hughie's not a supe either, but I ain't seen you griping about the time spent with Scottie and his mom :biggrin:

I consider Hughie a main character. Screentime stats can just mean the actors are in that scene. While Frenchie's character is 'neat' I just don't consider it a main character. Him disappearing from the show wouldn't impact anything really.....Hughie on the other hand would.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2024, 03:19:19 PM »
I consider Hughie a main character. Screentime stats can just mean the actors are in that scene. While Frenchie's character is 'neat' I just don't consider it a main character. Him disappearing from the show wouldn't impact anything really.....Hughie on the other hand would.

I see that point. Don’t agree with it (:lol) but I see it.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #239 on: June 20, 2024, 03:27:26 PM »
It's starting to feel like this season is setting up the titular Boys (and girls, Kimiko and Annie) to be less heroic and more flawed protagonists. You've got each of them doing questionable things, some of which is their past facing them in the present - Annie's past with Firecracker coming back to bite her in the ass, Kimiko's time with her cult captors and the fighting ring she participated in, MM's relationship with his ex's (former) partner, Butcher having to deal with Ryan and the ghost of Becca, Hughie confronting his mother and her abandoning him as a child, and Frenchie's hit on Colin's family. They're all tackling things that have haunted them in the past, and even Homelander is doing that (in today's episode). This season has very much been focusing on past trauma, so Frenchie's story isn't out-of-left-field, and really lines up well with what everyone else is going through so far. Now, whether or not his story, or anyone else's, sticks the landing remains to be seen, but we're only halfway through the season so far, so there's plenty of time for these plots to wrap up.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: June 20, 2024, 03:43:50 PM »
I see that point. Don’t agree with it (:lol) but I see it.

I think what many need to consider when viewing my posts these days in any number of these threads is that I've indeed turned into a generally more angry, cynical old man who defaults to complaining about things and missing out on life's true joys. I don't say this with pride....more like a call for help.

Offline Adami

« Reply #241 on: June 20, 2024, 04:00:43 PM »
I think what many need to consider when viewing my posts these days in any number of these threads is that I've indeed turned into a generally more angry, cynical old man who defaults to complaining about things and missing out on life's true joys. I don't say this with pride....more like a call for help.

Go watch Paddington and Paddington 2. Stat!!!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #242 on: June 20, 2024, 04:14:07 PM »

You need some J-metal in your life...hard to be cynical in the face of that level of positivity....

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2024, 09:06:05 PM »

You, Kade and Tim could start a club!   ;D :-*