Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 218523 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #805 on: May 26, 2020, 09:04:14 PM »
Just started Silicon Valley.  A few episodes into Season 1 and this is good. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #806 on: May 27, 2020, 01:05:00 AM »
Just started Silicon Valley.  A few episodes into Season 1 and this is good.

Oh boy you're in for a ride  :metal the first season especially is tome one of the funniest and most clever series of comedy TV, period.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #807 on: May 27, 2020, 08:32:06 AM »
The Shield is mindblowing.  7 seasons of bliss.

Yeah; I'm not sure that any one episode or even handful is enough to get the full gist.  There were so many little events and interactions that led up to the conclusion.  Plus, you haven't gotten Forrest Whitaker, Glenn Close, or Franka Potente yet.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #808 on: May 27, 2020, 08:35:24 AM »
I can appreciate that it's a critically acclaimed show with a stellar cast, but much like medieval settings do nothing for some people, cop/crime dramas do absolutely nothing for me, they're my least favorite type of drama on TV. The closest I've ever come to enjoying watching cops on TV is Hank and Gomez on Breaking Bad. Just can't do it, man. I tried The Wire, too. I just cannot stay interested in them. They're not my thing.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #809 on: May 27, 2020, 09:07:29 PM »
So my phone service came with lifetime HBO, and today they added HBO Max to it :D

Started on the Doom Patrol, see how it goes.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #810 on: May 28, 2020, 07:15:18 AM »
In terms of elite cop shows The Shield is Aliens to The Wire's Alien.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: May 28, 2020, 08:59:13 AM »
In terms of elite cop shows The Shield is Aliens to The Wire's Alien.

I haven't seen Aliens, I haven't seen but an episode or two of "The Wire", and I saw it but can't remember much of Alien.  So that's another SAT question I booted!      :) :) :) :) :)

(I'm making fun of ME, not you!)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #812 on: June 01, 2020, 04:49:18 AM »
Finished second season of Derry Girls. I would have never imagined that a show so absurd and filled to the brim with black comedy would make me cry. Now I can't wait for season 3, whose filming has been delayed because of the pandemic, damn! uh well, guess I'll rewatch it from time to time. Absolutely fantastic, an out of the blue revelation and something ultra funny, addictive and surprisingly deep. Best comedy behind The Good Place I've seen in recent years.

Also, I finally catched up with all the seasons of Peaky Blinders. I have so many seasons to watch, when do they stop? when there's a cliffhanger and now I have to wait like everybody else. FFFFuuuuuuuuuuuuu
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #813 on: June 01, 2020, 05:45:27 AM »
Finished second season of Derry Girls. I would have never imagined that a show so absurd and filled to the brim with black comedy would make me cry. Now I can't wait for season 3, whose filming has been delayed because of the pandemic, damn! uh well, guess I'll rewatch it from time to time. Absolutely fantastic, an out of the blue revelation and something ultra funny, addictive and surprisingly deep. Best comedy behind The Good Place I've seen in recent years.

Have you seen The Inbetweeners?  Derry Girls has been classed as the female Inbetweeners.  Both shows are good.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #814 on: June 01, 2020, 05:50:38 AM »
Someone on Reddit already mentioned that to me. Guess it's gotta go on the watch list then!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #815 on: June 06, 2020, 04:50:14 PM »
Stephen King's The outsider.

Kinda hate it. Guess its my fault for thinking it was gonna be a realistic crime drama/thriller kind of story, but no not at all. Its Stephen King alright.

The core idea is ok I guess, but it is SOOO flimsy and unexplored. They reveal it around episode 3 and Then the show just goes in circles and gets really convoluted. And god does it drag and drag. This could have easily been 5 episodes instead of 10.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 07:24:19 AM by Phoenix87x »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #816 on: June 06, 2020, 04:53:46 PM »
Started BoJack Horseman. That kind of surreal cartoon is definitively not my kind of stuff, but the story and the cleverness of the show are keeping me interested and the're fast winning me over (watched the first three episodes so far).

How the first season ranks among the other ones? with three episodes do I have an idea of the kind of show it is or it's gonna get even better? (at the very least I'll watch the entire first season).

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #817 on: June 06, 2020, 04:55:00 PM »
Started BoJack Horseman. That kind of surreal cartoon is definitively not my kind of stuff, but the story and the cleverness of the show are keeping me interested and the're fast winning me over (watched the first three episodes so far).

How the first season ranks among the other ones? with three episodes do I have an idea of the kind of show it is or it's gonna get even better? (at the very least I'll watch the entire first season).

Get some tissues, a therapist, and real comfortable exploring the existential nature of a nihilistic existence.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: June 07, 2020, 09:03:42 PM »
The Last Kingdom, season 2: way better than season 1. Lots of great moments in there. Pacing is fast as lightning which has its pros and cons, but man, it's fun.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #819 on: June 07, 2020, 10:05:50 PM »
The Last Kingdom, season 2: way better than season 1. Lots of great moments in there. Pacing is fast as lightning which has its pros and cons, but man, it's fun.

I gotta get going on this show. It’s been recommended a lot
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #820 on: June 07, 2020, 11:00:12 PM »

Apparently each season is based on 2 books in the series, which explains the pacing and why there seems to be a rhythm to every 4-episode batch (or half-season). I think it's pretty good so far for a faster paced show. I was skeptical at first but I really dig it now. I have gripes, but I was still up until 4 AM this morning watching it. :corn

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #821 on: June 08, 2020, 03:48:45 AM »

Get some tissues, a therapist, and real comfortable exploring the existential nature of a nihilistic existence.

For now it's still fun. I confirm that it's something that quickly wins you over, I like how they mix the surreal and comedic situations of the various animals (I love the poor penguin, the stressed editor of the upcoming book), and the actual seriousness of the themes addressed, which are covered under a layer of jokes and silly animals doing silly stuff.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #822 on: June 08, 2020, 01:20:54 PM »

This is a fantastic show. I’m on my second viewing of the entire series, this time with my wife. If you’re into the Dark Ages, it’s packed with historical flavor.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: June 08, 2020, 09:30:50 PM »

This is a fantastic show. I’m on my second viewing of the entire series, this time with my wife. If you’re into the Dark Ages, it’s packed with historical flavor.

It's probably the most religion-centric show I've ever watched, too; normally those history-based medieval fantasies that go on about English warriors and the glory of God come off so corny to me, but this is so well done that it's convincing and serious, and not cheesy.

Also it's funny watching Uhtred's hair slowly change over the seasons. And "Uhtred, son of Uhtred" always makes me smile  :lol

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #824 on: June 09, 2020, 04:51:47 AM »
Just finished Bosch on Amazon.  Those 6 seasons went by fast.  I may go back and watch Dark again to get ready for season 3.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: June 09, 2020, 05:01:24 AM »
I just finished binge watching

• Life On Mars

&

• Ashes To Ashes

Very fun couple of little series. 5 in total but I could have watched 8 more episodes to be honest.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #826 on: June 09, 2020, 11:31:24 AM »

It's probably the most religion-centric show I've ever watched, too; normally those history-based medieval fantasies that go on about English warriors and the glory of God come off so corny to me, but this is so well done that it's convincing and serious, and not cheesy.

Also it's funny watching Uhtred's hair slowly change over the seasons. And "Uhtred, son of Uhtred" always makes me smile  :lol

Absolutely. Despite what little historians know of the period, this show attempts to show the nature of a religious conflict that has resonance in our current times.

My wife, who is from China, couldn’t understand how Christianity became such a dominant force in Europe, but this show has opened her eyes a bit. The threat of Viking raids and violence is so visceral, driving the imperative of the Christian Kings to bring order from chaos, above all else.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #827 on: June 10, 2020, 02:37:30 PM »
Anyone else been watching the 'Snowpiercer' TV show? I never saw the movie but the show has been alright. It's not anything that's breaking new ground but it's been entertaining enough to watch and keep up with.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #828 on: June 10, 2020, 03:03:36 PM »
Anyone else been watching the 'Snowpiercer' TV show? I never saw the movie but the show has been alright. It's not anything that's breaking new ground but it's been entertaining enough to watch and keep up with.

Saw the movie, it was ok, I will wait for the whole season to be available to watch this.

And I finished season 1 of BoJack Horseman. Guess I'm in for the long run.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #829 on: June 10, 2020, 09:05:47 PM »
Finished The Shield, holy hell what a last season and a finale. Also cool that Porcupine Tree popped up briefly in the soundtrack. Now I'm onto season 1 of Schitt's Creek, which is decent so far. Not sure what my next drama will be, maybe Friday Night Lights.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: June 11, 2020, 11:40:44 AM »
I uh... started watching New Girl. This show sucks, but I would not be watching if Zooey Deschanel wasn't in it.  :heart

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #831 on: June 11, 2020, 11:58:30 AM »
I uh... started watching New Girl. This show sucks, but I would not be watching if Zooey Deschanel wasn't in it.  :heart

First seasons were great and funny. Then someway through the middle it lost its charm. I'm bringing myself over the finish line with just 8 episodes remaining of the last and seventh season.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #832 on: June 11, 2020, 12:18:45 PM »

First seasons were great and funny. Then someway through the middle it lost its charm. I'm bringing myself over the finish line with just 8 episodes remaining of the last and seventh season.

My takeaway from this is that I have 7 seasons of Zooey Deschanel to look at. That's my optimistic take.  :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #833 on: June 11, 2020, 12:55:43 PM »

My takeaway from this is that I have 7 seasons of Zooey Deschanel to look at. That's my optimistic take.  :lol

My daughter got me to start watching (she had seen all 7 seasons).  I can't remember how far into it we got before I lost interest, but I don't think it was past the fourth season.  It seemed to have run its course by then, and watching Zooey could only sustain my interest for so long.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #834 on: June 11, 2020, 02:46:36 PM »
I could watch Zooey Deschanel take orders at the local Chinese restaurant and be thrilled.  That said, it gets funnier, then tapers off, then - if you're invested in the cahracters, ends strong.  That's my take.

I love Nick; I can only take so much of Schmidt (though he's funny with his taking the politician). 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #835 on: June 11, 2020, 03:02:55 PM »
I love Nick; I can only take so much of Schmidt (though he's funny with his taking the politician).

With time it became the opposite. I find Nick unbeearable and I can hardly put him with him and his manchild antics. I can't really put it down, I watched the first 5 seasons in a relative row, then forgot about it for at least a year, came back for season 6 and dunno, it was hard to get through it, and Nick certainly didn't help. Jess is always great of course.

BTW, I started something that was on my watchlist since quite a while, Broadchurch. The Tenth Doctor and Queen Elizabeth II trying to solve a crime on a small sea town with huge cliffs. First two episodes are quite interesting!

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #836 on: June 11, 2020, 03:04:04 PM »
Chernobyl. Watched two episodes so far. Really good.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #837 on: June 11, 2020, 03:33:48 PM »

With time it became the opposite. I find Nick unbeearable and I can hardly put him with him and his manchild antics. I can't really put it down, I watched the first 5 seasons in a relative row, then forgot about it for at least a year, came back for season 6 and dunno, it was hard to get through it, and Nick certainly didn't help. Jess is always great of course.

BTW, I started something that was on my watchlist since quite a while, Broadchurch. The Tenth Doctor and Queen Elizabeth II trying to solve a crime on a small sea town with huge cliffs. First two episodes are quite interesting!

Zooey Deschanel reminds me of Tea Leoni in a way.  When Tea Leoni was coming to prominence in the mid-90s, she was pumped up so much for her looks and abilities as both a comic and dramatic actress, but she never really found a good vehicle and kinda dropped off the radar in the new millennium (until Madam Secretary).  Zooey Deschanel has done more and more diverse stuff, but she's never had anything that had mainstream success (other than New Girl if you consider that as such).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #838 on: June 12, 2020, 05:35:00 AM »
Finished The Shield, holy hell what a last season and a finale. Also cool that Porcupine Tree popped up briefly in the soundtrack. Now I'm onto season 1 of Schitt's Creek, which is decent so far. Not sure what my next drama will be, maybe Friday Night Lights.
I need to try The Shield
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline New World Rushman

« Reply #839 on: June 12, 2020, 06:07:19 AM »

Good show, and can't forget the 13th Doctor is the mom.