Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 219143 times)

gmillerdrake and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline pg1067

Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #735 on: May 12, 2020, 12:52:19 PM »
Started watching 'Upload' on Amazon last night. I'm three episodes in. It's a pretty fun little show. I already know probably down to details what is going to happen....it's not that difficult to surmise.....but the characters are fun and it's interesting so I'll stick with it. The episodes are only like 30 minutes long....except the first episode was 45 minutes. (10) episodes total.

Finished ‘Upload’. It was pretty good. I’ll admit the story wasn’t as clear cut as I thought it was after the first couple episodes. It definitely ended on a note where I hope there’s at least one more season.

I watched the first episode (and maybe some of the second?) last night.  Fairly interesting, so I'll keep watching.  Ingrid is FUCKING HOT!

I finished episode 5 last night.  Really enjoying this show.

As a side note, this show makes me want to visit Mohonk Mountain House in New Paltz, NY.

Glad to see that Upload has been renewed for a second season (although who knows when we'll see it?).  Ending it the way it did would have been hugely disappointing.

Also, I've been watching Cheers (I'm a few episodes into season 2).  It's enjoyable but so very out-of-date.  Some things are really cringe-worthy.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #736 on: May 13, 2020, 01:42:22 AM »
Started Derry Girls on Netflix and was immediately hooked.

Dark humor comedy about a bunch of, well, girls living in Derry, Northern Ireland, set in the '90s and therefore in the midst of all the political crisis of IRA, protestants vs catholics and all the likes.

It's wickedly hilarious, and probably with subtitles needed even for english speakers given the accent.

I've also gave a shot with The IT Crowd, but the pilot episode didn't convince me at all. And the laugh track could have been avoided. I'll give it a shot since it's just 6 episodes so I'll finish the first season, but I'm gonna bail on this one if it doesn't grab me.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #737 on: May 13, 2020, 10:06:58 AM »
I love Derry Girls. I've watched it a couple times now. Sister Michael is hilarious.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #738 on: May 13, 2020, 10:19:57 AM »
Need to catch up on IT crowd, the few episodes I saw were hilarious. Derry Girls is next along with Schitt's Creek.

Recently caught up on a lot of show on Netflix

Never Have I Ever - Hilarious show that caught me by surprise, created by Mindy Kaling and Lang Fisher who wrote a few Brooklyn Nine Nine episodes.
Living With Yourself - Paul Rudd is awesome and hilarious as always, love the premise of the show
Ozark - Season 3 is absolutely amazing
Unorthodox - Great little mini-series and peek into an ultra-orthodox Jewish community, based on a book of real events
Community - Rewatching with the wife as she's not seen it and it's even funnier than I remember.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #739 on: May 13, 2020, 10:40:24 AM »
Schitt's Creek is one of my all-time favorite shows. It's perfect.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #740 on: May 13, 2020, 11:03:19 AM »
I love Derry Girls. I've watched it a couple times now. Sister Michael is hilarious.

I've already seen this episode. Yeah, that should be a way of life  :biggrin: (Well, maybe not with everyone, but surely with bothersome people).

If someone who likes Derry Girls likes Never have I Ever and one of the writers was involved with the awesome Brooklyn 99, I guess I should put it on my watch list.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #741 on: May 13, 2020, 11:25:58 AM »
Nearly done with Season 1 of Westworld.

I really like the idea of this show more than the execution. It's not a bad show by any means, but I have some problems with how the narrative is structured. It seems needlessly obtuse and significant events take forever to happen. I normally don't have an issue with complex narratives or slow burn tension setters, but I just feel the show to be missing a little more substance. I think a lot of the performances are great, but I don't particularly care for or about many of the characters. Maybe I just need a rewatch and to finish this season off.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #742 on: May 15, 2020, 07:19:03 PM »
Wtf!  Amazon prime has 3 seasons of Mr. Robot, which I watched, but the final season They want to charge 2.99 an episode.

Started watching Bosch and it really moves fast.  2 of the main actors were in the Wire.  I did not realize LA was so polluted.  In the show, the air quality looks awful, but not China awful.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: May 15, 2020, 08:10:22 PM »
Comedy Central is posting on their YT channel old episodes of Reno 911! Yes!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #744 on: May 15, 2020, 09:48:21 PM »
Nearly done with Season 1 of Westworld.

I really like the idea of this show more than the execution. It's not a bad show by any means, but I have some problems with how the narrative is structured. It seems needlessly obtuse and significant events take forever to happen. I normally don't have an issue with complex narratives or slow burn tension setters, but I just feel the show to be missing a little more substance. I think a lot of the performances are great, but I don't particularly care for or about many of the characters. Maybe I just need a rewatch and to finish this season off.

Or just wait for the inevitable shit to hit the fan, cause that show goes from "hmmm, very cool" to "wtf omg what's going on" in scant episodes. It's definitely a slow burner, but the payoff is massive.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #745 on: May 16, 2020, 10:10:27 AM »
I’m (8) Episodes in to S3 of ‘Longmire’ and I am really digging it. Fun show, that keeps the story moving right along.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #746 on: May 16, 2020, 07:14:59 PM »
Finished Devs. Definitely an Alex Garland thing, all right. Really enjoyed it.

Just finished the first episode of Tales From The Loop. That was a mind-bending first episode! I'm hooked.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #747 on: May 16, 2020, 09:12:12 PM »
Been hearing quite a bit of praise for that one, might give it a try soon.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: May 16, 2020, 10:05:16 PM »
Been hearing quite a bit of praise for that one, might give it a try soon.

It was definitely an interesting story.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #749 on: May 17, 2020, 05:39:00 AM »
Finished the first seasons of IT Crowd and Derry Girls.

IT Crowd was ok, in the end it's funny, it just doesn't grab me completely. I can see why people like it, and the episode where the girl (still haven't learn the names) was declared dead by Moss was the funniest, with all the "haunting from beyond" gags with the dude that dated her, but it doesn't completely conquered me.

Derry Girls on the other hand... I loved every minute of it and I'm in total fanboy mode. Absolutely hilarous, funny, witty and lovely. I'm gonna watch season 2 one episode per day, I wanna "taste" it rather than devour it, and then I guess I'll just wait for season 3 whenever it will come.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #750 on: May 17, 2020, 05:56:38 AM »
Um, kind of a niche thing here, but I watched the two-part Garth Brooks "The Road I'm On" documentary.  There's a LOT I could say, but I'll leave it at "it was a very entertaining four hours".
We watched it too.

Is this a Documentary of his career?

The tom petty 4 hour doc is really good if you guys haven't seen it.

I'm not sure if I posted earlier in this thread but I've been hooked watching Grand Designs. There are a couple of seasons on Netflix, I ended up downloading a few more after going through those. The show follows these home builders over the years while they build these outrageous homes. It's like British HGTV except it does a great job showing the real struggle people have getting their dreams accomplished.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 06:07:11 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #751 on: May 17, 2020, 08:37:43 AM »

Also, I've been watching Cheers (I'm a few episodes into season 2).  It's enjoyable but so very out-of-date.  Some things are really cringe-worthy.

What do you mean by it's "very out-of-date"? Can you unpack that a little?  :)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #752 on: May 18, 2020, 08:37:54 AM »
Um, kind of a niche thing here, but I watched the two-part Garth Brooks "The Road I'm On" documentary.  There's a LOT I could say, but I'll leave it at "it was a very entertaining four hours".
We watched it too.

Is this a Documentary of his career?

The tom petty 4 hour doc is really good if you guys haven't seen it.

I'm not sure if I posted earlier in this thread but I've been hooked watching Grand Designs. There are a couple of seasons on Netflix, I ended up downloading a few more after going through those. The show follows these home builders over the years while they build these outrageous homes. It's like British HGTV except it does a great job showing the real struggle people have getting their dreams accomplished.

Garth Brooks.    Yes; it's an overview of his career.   It's honest in some ways - his ex-wife and daughters speak what seems to be candidly - and very interesting in the early part of his career.   But it's very "Garth Brooks", in that it makes a big deal out of his successes, and he cries every 90 seconds or so.   But it's inescapable: while some of the record sales are hokey (he has I think four or five box sets that at least in part repackage previously released material; a copy of "Fresh Horses" in the box set counts towards the sale of that record, but also total sales; so when he sells ONE 6-CD box set, it's SIX more records sold.  The Beatles put out product, but not like that) the fact can't be glossed over: he put almost a MILLION people in NY's Central Park.  That's not gamed.   Nor is the fact that of the people that have worked with him, NONE have a bad word to say about the guy.   He seems to be one of those people that just have a charisma that people want to be around.   You also can't argue with giving up hundreds of millions of touring revenue EVERY YEAR for the better part of a decade, to stay home with his kids, living in close proximity to his ex-wife (it's not clear how far, but it's implied they lived on the same property) who made it work.  Being in a current court battle with my wife's ex, that's no small feat, and again, not gamed. 

There's also some incidents that could very much be taken either way:  he sold out five nights in Dublin in like two hours.   They sold the tickets before the permits were pulled, and the neighbors complained, claiming that the stadium was only authorized to do one date like that.  So the community said one.  He told the planning board that if he couldn't do all the shows he wouldn't do any.   The board compromised and granted a permit for three, more than the community wanted, but not the full run.  Brooks held is ground and they were all cancelled.   Noble gesture for his fans (he's HUGE in Ireland, oddly, for an American country singer)?   Or money-grabbing ploy for publicity?     Earlier, he was singing the National Anthem for the Super Bowl, and he cut a deal where NBC would play his new video for "We Shall Be Free".  The content was somewhat political and so NBC balked, and Brooks refused to go out and sing the song until the video was played. NBC blinked.  Again; noble artistic gesture, or raging ego-maniac?   

Offline pg1067

« Reply #753 on: May 18, 2020, 10:58:24 AM »

Given that it's mindless comedy, I don't want to dig too deep, but the comment was mostly motivated by Sam Malone and how he behaves around Diane.  I think I had just seen an episode where he grabbed her by the arm and restrained her.  It was sort of a nothing moment, but it stood out as the sort of thing that would never fly in anything being broadcast today.

In fairness, there have been some things that were clearly cutting edge for the time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #754 on: May 18, 2020, 12:15:55 PM »
Did anyone see Fleabag on Amazon Prime? a great comedy from Phoebe Waller-Bridge, she wrote it and she stars in it. On Netflix you can find another comedy from her, Crashing, about a bunch of 20-something living in a dismissed London hospital as "property guardians" to pay less rent. This was a very short run, 6 episodes of 20 minutes (just like Fleabag, which got at least 2 seasons) and it was just as funny as Fleabag. I'm starting to think I have to follow her more closely, since she's quite great at what she does (even though in both series she kinda plays a similar character, the free-spirited, live-today-and-think-tomorrow oversexed girl who is a hurricane in other people's lives).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:39:04 PM by MirrorMask »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #755 on: May 18, 2020, 06:50:32 PM »

Given that it's mindless comedy, I don't want to dig too deep, but the comment was mostly motivated by Sam Malone and how he behaves around Diane.  I think I had just seen an episode where he grabbed her by the arm and restrained her.  It was sort of a nothing moment, but it stood out as the sort of thing that would never fly in anything being broadcast today.

In fairness, there have been some things that were clearly cutting edge for the time.

The episode in Season 1 (1981-1982) about Sam's old baseball buddy coming out as gay and then the gang freaking out cause Diane told them that there two homosexuals in the bar was pretty daring for its time. 

I am never bothered if old shows were "of their time." I mean, what is wrong with that? Most shows are not going to be forward thinking ones where they come off as timeless decades later.

While it can be difficult, I think it is best to take a show within the context of its time period instead of thinking, "how would that fly nowadays?"  Hell, I saw that some youngans were freaking out like last year when they saw Friends for the first time and thought Monica was being fat shamed because of the cracks about her being overweight when she was a teenager.  It's like those people had no clue that Friends was very ground-breaking and cutting edge when it hit the scene.  Having a main character of a sitcom with an ex-wife who was a lesbian was unheard of, much less to then see the ex on a regular basis with her life partner...and then eventually have an episode centered around the lesbian wedding!  And while the dialogue seems tame now compared to what we see and hear on TV now, some of the jokes and sexual innuendos they were making on a regular basis was something we had never really seen in a prime time sitcom on a major channel.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #756 on: May 18, 2020, 07:43:33 PM »
Did anyone see Fleabag on Amazon Prime? a great comedy from Phoebe Waller-Bridge, she wrote it and she stars in it. On Netflix you can find another comedy from her, Crashing, about a bunch of 20-something living in a dismissed London hospital as "property guardians" to pay less rent. This was a very short run, 6 episodes of 20 minutes (just like Fleabag, which got at least 2 seasons) and it was just as funny as Fleabag. I'm starting to think I have to follow her more closely, since she's quite great at what she does (even though in both series she kinda plays a similar character, the free-spirited, live-today-and-think-tomorrow oversexed girl who is a hurricane in other people's lives).

Love Phoebe. I started watching Killing Eve once I found out that she was exec producer and showrunner. Season 1 is very her and the whole show shares her humor. She is handed off showrunner duties after the first season but the show is still freaking awesome. Jodie Comer is just an amazing actress.

She is also an exec on Run on HBO. She actually just showed up as a supporting character last week.

And yes, I did see Crashing after falling in love with Fleabag.

At this point, wherever Phoebe goes, I follow.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline pg1067

« Reply #757 on: May 19, 2020, 09:38:15 AM »
The episode in Season 1 (1981-1982) about Sam's old baseball buddy coming out as gay and then the gang freaking out cause Diane told them that there two homosexuals in the bar was pretty daring for its time. 

That's exactly the episode I was thinking about when I wrote that there had been some cutting edge stuff.

I am never bothered if old shows were "of their time." I mean, what is wrong with that? Most shows are not going to be forward thinking ones where they come off as timeless decades later.

Nothing wrong with it, and it doesn't bother me.

Hell, I saw that some youngans were freaking out like last year when they saw Friends for the first time and thought Monica was being fat shamed because of the cracks about her being overweight when she was a teenager.  It's like those people had no clue that Friends was very ground-breaking and cutting edge when it hit the scene.  Having a main character of a sitcom with an ex-wife who was a lesbian was unheard of, much less to then see the ex on a regular basis with her life partner...and then eventually have an episode centered around the lesbian wedding!  And while the dialogue seems tame now compared to what we see and hear on TV now, some of the jokes and sexual innuendos they were making on a regular basis was something we had never really seen in a prime time sitcom on a major channel.

Funny you mention Friends.  It's my all time favorite TV show, and I watch it constantly.  My 16yo daughter is even super into it.  I just shake my head with all of the "oh, no, they're 'fat-shaming'!" and "oh no, casual 'homophobia'!" comments.

For me, Friends does not seem outdated.  Friends and Cheers premiered just over a decade a apart, but they "feel" significantly further apart.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #758 on: May 19, 2020, 09:59:43 AM »
Bearing in mind that I haven't seen an episode of Cheers in 15 years or more, isn't the point of that episode to highlight the close-mindedness of the gang?  Wouldn't that be relevant today?  No one wants to BE Cliff Claven, we want to feel superior to him, and that doesn't change regardless of how you look at that plotline.  ("DNA...  Dames are Not Aggressive".  <Turns helix diagram sideways> "Now let's discuss the gas turbine engine.")

Offline pg1067

« Reply #759 on: May 19, 2020, 12:30:28 PM »
Bearing in mind that I haven't seen an episode of Cheers in 15 years or more, isn't the point of that episode to highlight the close-mindedness of the gang?  Wouldn't that be relevant today?

The answer to the first question is yes.  I don't know the answer to the second question, but Kev and I appear to agree that the episode in question was fairly cutting edge/daring.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #760 on: May 19, 2020, 03:29:50 PM »
I think the episode was a good example of the herd mentality, as some of the other regulars jumped on board and got behind Norm and Cliff, the most outspoken regulars, once those two expressed their concerns over Cheers becoming a hangout for gay men if Sammy allowed the two in question hang out in the bar that night.  And then we had Sam, the owner of the bar, reluctantly agreeing with them at first and then changing his mind and offering to buy the two men they all thought were gay free drinks and saying Cheers was not going to become a bar that he had throw people out of (preposition dangled and all :P ).  Just a great episode when you look at it from all angles.  And hey, it was funny, too!

And that was the thing about Cheers.  While a show like Friends was really funny from the start, Cheers was similar to Seinfeld in that it was sorta funny at first, but took some time to really hit their stride, and once they did, it was just non-stop hilarity for years.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #761 on: May 19, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »
Dammit guys, now I really miss coach again. :( (not the show)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pg1067

« Reply #762 on: May 20, 2020, 09:42:55 AM »

Some of his one-liners were so damn good!

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #763 on: May 20, 2020, 09:44:49 AM »

Some of his one-liners were so damn good!

He also, when necessary, brought a lot of the emotional depth that was hard to capture. That scene where he tells his daughter why he thinks she's beautiful was just so well done on his part. You really felt for him. Or when he'd get angry at Sam. The guy just brought a ton of depth to an otherwise one dimensional character.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #764 on: May 20, 2020, 11:58:52 AM »
One of my fave Sam lines is when he's told, "the Shriners are in town", to which Sam replies, "why don't they go back to their own country?".

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #765 on: May 21, 2020, 06:37:00 PM »
Terminator Sarah connor chronicles

really enjoying it

Offline pg1067

« Reply #766 on: May 22, 2020, 10:01:59 AM »
Is there a thread for The Amazing Race?

Anyone besides me a fan?

I recently started re-watching the first "all-stars" season (season 11).  It's staggering how much better the show was in its earlier seasons (and, really, through about season 25) than it has been for the last several seasons.

A lot of fans of the show blame the decisions to cast pseudo-celebrities (there was an entire season of "social media influencers").  While I don't really care for that trend, they have been casting such folks since almost the very beginning.  My take is that the show has gone downhill somewhat because they now focus almost entirely on the challenges and spend little or no time showing the interaction between the teams while they're traveling.  They also basically have equalized everyone at the start of pretty much every leg by not requiring the contestants to book their own flights.  I don't know if this is the show's fault of a result of how things have changed in the airline industry, but it was great to see teams going to 2 or 3 different travel agencies, taking chances on flights with tight connections (and sometimes getting burned), or playing it safe.  One of the episodes of season 11 showed the top couple of teams starting leg 8 while a couple teams hadn't even finished leg 7!

Anyhoo...season 32 was run in November - December 2018 and still hasn't been aired for reasons that have never been explained.  It was announced to start earlier this week, but now they've pushed it back to the start of the fall season.  At least it has a favorable time slot (following Survivor on Wednesday nights).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #767 on: May 23, 2020, 12:45:01 AM »
I’m (8) Episodes in to S3 of ‘Longmire’ and I am really digging it. Fun show, that keeps the story moving right along.

Finished up Longmire. Enjoyed it a lot....perfect length of series. Storyline kept evolving on natural pace and it was done pretty well.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #768 on: May 23, 2020, 05:32:46 AM »

Finished up Longmire. Enjoyed it a lot....perfect length of series. Storyline kept evolving on natural pace and it was done pretty well.

Solid series.  Have you watched Justified or Tin Star on Amazon?  I am in the 4 th season of Bosch.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #769 on: May 23, 2020, 06:52:08 AM »
Most of the way through season four of The Shield, so freaking good.
Photobucket sucks.