Author Topic: What Shows are you currently watching?  (Read 219125 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What Shows are you currently watching?
« Reply #770 on: May 23, 2020, 07:34:56 AM »
Um, kind of a niche thing here, but I watched the two-part Garth Brooks "The Road I'm On" documentary.  There's a LOT I could say, but I'll leave it at "it was a very entertaining four hours".
We watched it too.

Is this a Documentary of his career?

The tom petty 4 hour doc is really good if you guys haven't seen it.

I'm not sure if I posted earlier in this thread but I've been hooked watching Grand Designs. There are a couple of seasons on Netflix, I ended up downloading a few more after going through those. The show follows these home builders over the years while they build these outrageous homes. It's like British HGTV except it does a great job showing the real struggle people have getting their dreams accomplished.

Garth Brooks.    Yes; it's an overview of his career.   It's honest in some ways - his ex-wife and daughters speak what seems to be candidly - and very interesting in the early part of his career.   But it's very "Garth Brooks", in that it makes a big deal out of his successes, and he cries every 90 seconds or so.   But it's inescapable: while some of the record sales are hokey (he has I think four or five box sets that at least in part repackage previously released material; a copy of "Fresh Horses" in the box set counts towards the sale of that record, but also total sales; so when he sells ONE 6-CD box set, it's SIX more records sold.  The Beatles put out product, but not like that) the fact can't be glossed over: he put almost a MILLION people in NY's Central Park.  That's not gamed.   Nor is the fact that of the people that have worked with him, NONE have a bad word to say about the guy.   He seems to be one of those people that just have a charisma that people want to be around.   You also can't argue with giving up hundreds of millions of touring revenue EVERY YEAR for the better part of a decade, to stay home with his kids, living in close proximity to his ex-wife (it's not clear how far, but it's implied they lived on the same property) who made it work.  Being in a current court battle with my wife's ex, that's no small feat, and again, not gamed. 

There's also some incidents that could very much be taken either way:  he sold out five nights in Dublin in like two hours.   They sold the tickets before the permits were pulled, and the neighbors complained, claiming that the stadium was only authorized to do one date like that.  So the community said one.  He told the planning board that if he couldn't do all the shows he wouldn't do any.   The board compromised and granted a permit for three, more than the community wanted, but not the full run.  Brooks held is ground and they were all cancelled.   Noble gesture for his fans (he's HUGE in Ireland, oddly, for an American country singer)?   Or money-grabbing ploy for publicity?     Earlier, he was singing the National Anthem for the Super Bowl, and he cut a deal where NBC would play his new video for "We Shall Be Free".  The content was somewhat political and so NBC balked, and Brooks refused to go out and sing the song until the video was played. NBC blinked.  Again; noble artistic gesture, or raging ego-maniac?   

That sounds like a really interesting Doc. I'm going to knock it out this weekend.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #771 on: May 23, 2020, 07:57:53 AM »
Most of the way through season four of The Shield, so freaking good.

I'm trying to talk the fam into a rerun of that.  One of my favorites.   Michael Chiklis (big time prog drummer, by the way) got all the ink, but Walton Goggins was the highlight of that show for me.   

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #772 on: May 23, 2020, 09:17:49 AM »

I'm trying to talk the fam into a rerun of that.  One of my favorites.   Michael Chiklis (big time prog drummer, by the way) got all the ink, but Walton Goggins was the highlight of that show for me.   

Have you watched Justified then?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #773 on: May 23, 2020, 10:02:46 AM »
I’m (8) Episodes in to S3 of ‘Longmire’ and I am really digging it. Fun show, that keeps the story moving right along.

Finished up Longmire. Enjoyed it a lot....perfect length of series. Storyline kept evolving on natural pace and it was done pretty well.

Solid series.  Have you watched Justified or Tin Star on Amazon?  I am in the 4 th season of Bosch.

Have not watched any of those three. I’ve heard of Justified and Bosch. Heard good things on both. Never heard of Tin Star. I’ll add them to my list as I am in need of another show now.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #774 on: May 23, 2020, 01:37:39 PM »

Walton Goggins was great in Justified.  Margo Martindale won an Emmy for supporting actress in season 2, my favorite season
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #775 on: May 24, 2020, 06:17:52 AM »

Walton Goggins was great in Justified. Character Actress Margo Martindale won an Emmy for supporting actress in season 2, my favorite season

Yeah, season 2 has got to be my favorite as well, though I do recommend the whole series. One nice thing about Justified is that it's probably more fun to watch than most of the other "prestige dramas" which, while being excellent shows, can sometimes be a bit of a slog to get through.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #776 on: May 24, 2020, 06:26:15 PM »
Anyone else watching Dead to Me?  My cousin recommended it, so I watched both seasons this week (easy to do when both seasons are 10 episodes, all of which are around 30-33 minutes).  Felt like a copycat of Big Little Lies in many regards, but I still enjoyed it, and Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini were both awesome in their roles, so it was worth it alone to see their performances.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #777 on: May 24, 2020, 09:11:17 PM »
Anyone else watching Dead to Me?  My cousin recommended it, so I watched both seasons this week (easy to do when both seasons are 10 episodes, all of which are around 30-33 minutes).  Felt like a copycat of Big Little Lies in many regards, but I still enjoyed it, and Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini were both awesome in their roles, so it was worth it alone to see their performances.

Haven’t seen Big Little Lies, but I love Dead to Me. Also love James Marsden.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #778 on: May 24, 2020, 09:17:29 PM »

He was good.

And from a superficial standpoint, I was mesmerized by Linda Cardellini.  Not your classic beauty look, but damn.

Offline Adami

« Reply #779 on: May 24, 2020, 09:18:20 PM »
No disagreement here.   
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #780 on: May 25, 2020, 02:52:48 AM »
Watching 'Bates Motel'.  What a strange show this is - on one hand some of the writing and B-Plots are a mess......But Freddie Highmore and Vera Farmiga as Norman and Norma Bates are just so fantastic on-screen they more that make up for the issues.  It also helps it one of those shows that appears to be getting better each season (I'm on season 4 of 5).

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #781 on: May 25, 2020, 04:36:18 AM »

He was good.

And from a superficial standpoint, I was mesmerized by Linda Cardellini.  Not your classic beauty look, but damn.

Agreed on Linda Cardellini, especially in Scooby Doo. Have mercy...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #782 on: May 25, 2020, 05:03:18 AM »

It's on my "eh, if I run out of priorities of shows I want to watch, I might as well check it out" list.

My current situation:
- Middle of the way with Arrested Development, season 5. Still funny but way past its prime, it never recovered from its cancellation after the first three seasons. The first three seasons were the "real deal", 4 and 5 are just the "reunion tours" for the sake of nostalgia if you pass me the musical comparison.
- Winding down on New Girl season 6, again, still funny but I'm watching it more out of habit.
- Started season 2 of Derry Girls and it's awesome like the first. One of the most funny and original ones currently on TV.
- Started season 5 of Peaky Blinders. As always, the very top notch for cinematography, atmosphere, performances..... can't believe with this I will run out of previous seasons to watch, and I will have to wait for season 6 like anybody else.
- Finishing The Crown season 3, good stuff.
- Finishing season 4 of Brooklyn 99. As funny as ever. What a glorious show. 99% killer 1% filler at worst.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #783 on: May 25, 2020, 08:15:21 AM »
No disagreement here.

Agreed on Linda Cardellini, especially in Scooby Doo. Have mercy...

What were the odds 25 years ago that someday we'd be watching a new show starring Kelly Bundy and we'd all be talking about how attractive the other lead female star is? :P

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #784 on: May 25, 2020, 09:49:07 AM »
Finally watched the Aaron Hernandez story on Netflix. Man, that dude was plain mean. I get the CTE argument....it's clear his brain had significant injury....but I still don't think that explains his murderous ways.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #785 on: May 25, 2020, 07:36:01 PM »
I'm watching The Last Kingdom on Netflix per the recommendation of a coworker.

I like it, but boy does it have problems. Just blows through scenes that should have more weight to them, I know each season is based on 2 books each but dang. Still it's enjoyable enough. Halfway through season 1 right now. I like the main character but it helps that he's one of the few attractive characters hahaha.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #786 on: May 25, 2020, 09:48:48 PM »
Finally watched the Aaron Hernandez story on Netflix. Man, that dude was plain mean. I get the CTE argument....it's clear his brain had significant injury....but I still don't think that explains his murderous ways.

I still need to watch that. I've heard it's good.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #787 on: May 25, 2020, 10:08:37 PM »
Running through the first season of Heroes, haven't done it in years. While the show did take a downslide, this first season is near perfection.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #788 on: May 25, 2020, 10:20:33 PM »
Running through the first season of Heroes, haven't done it in years. While the show did take a downslide, this first season is near perfection.

First season was awesome. Second was good as well.....then....it started downhill.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #789 on: May 26, 2020, 04:00:55 AM »
Speaking of old shows I was thinking of returning to Lost the other day, not sure I will but i'm starting too feel the urge. Especially after seeing Sawyer in Colony.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #790 on: May 26, 2020, 07:38:13 AM »

I have not. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #791 on: May 26, 2020, 07:43:52 AM »
Want to join in on the love for Walton Goggins.

I think I basically considered him a silly background cowboy actor for so long because...well....he was typecast as that for quite some time. My view of him drastically changed when I saw Hateful Eight and I was just totally blown away by him and have been trying to watch more of him since then.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #792 on: May 26, 2020, 08:09:00 AM »

I think I basically considered him a silly background cowboy actor for so long because...well....he was typecast as that for quite some time. My view of him drastically changed when I saw Hateful Eight and I was just totally blown away by him and have been trying to watch more of him since then.

I hated The Hateful Eight, but Walton Goggins was easily the best part of that movie. I never heard of him until I saw him play the transvestite on Sons of Anarchy, and since then I'll watch anything he's in just to watch him. Shoutout to Vice Principals and The Righteous Gemstones on HBO; both middle-of-the-road shows, but Walton Goggins makes them so much better, he's the best part of them both imo.
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Offline Adami

« Reply #793 on: May 26, 2020, 08:13:59 AM »
I feel like I might be the only person who loved The Hateful Eight haha.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #794 on: May 26, 2020, 08:20:19 AM »

I hated The Hateful Eight, but Walton Goggins was easily the best part of that movie. I never heard of him until I saw him play the transvestite on Sons of Anarchy, and since then I'll watch anything he's in just to watch him. Shoutout to Vice Principals and The Righteous Gemstones on HBO; both middle-of-the-road shows, but Walton Goggins makes them so much better, he's the best part of them both imo.

He's excellent on The Shield

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #795 on: May 26, 2020, 11:35:44 AM »

I have not. 

Do it, can't recommend it highly enough.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline a51502112

• Canada!
« Reply #796 on: May 26, 2020, 11:37:35 AM »
Started re-watching Sofia Vergara... I mean Modern Family on Netflix. They just put the whole series on there.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #797 on: May 26, 2020, 11:40:05 AM »

Funny thing is, that run on SoA was not my favorite, because I thought it was a shade over-the-top even for that show.  If you liked that, buckle up for the The Shield, then, because in my opinion, it is so much better.   

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #798 on: May 26, 2020, 11:55:36 AM »
Y'know I've tried watching The Shield but the first few episodes are just so boring imo. I dunno. Maybe. My brother likes it a lot

That run on SoA was definitely subpar, but Walton's character just stole the show imo.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #799 on: May 26, 2020, 01:32:30 PM »
My daughter got me to start watching Arrested Development.

I think I've made it through six episodes.

Might be the worst thing I've ever watched.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #800 on: May 26, 2020, 01:39:20 PM »
My daughter got me to start watching Arrested Development.

I think I've made it through six episodes.

Might be the worst thing I've ever watched.

The original run was very funny. But I can see how its weird style might put someone off.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #801 on: May 26, 2020, 07:36:28 PM »
I would say that SOA was already running downhill by the time Walton Goggins started showing up (season 2 was definitely the peak for me), but he was certainly a highlight every time he showed up.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #802 on: May 26, 2020, 07:54:16 PM »
Y'know I've tried watching The Shield but the first few episodes are just so boring imo. I dunno. Maybe. My brother likes it a lot

That run on SoA was definitely subpar, but Walton's character just stole the show imo.

You shame me.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #803 on: May 26, 2020, 08:00:51 PM »
Cop shows are the worst, my dude.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #804 on: May 26, 2020, 08:35:10 PM »
The Shield is mindblowing.  7 seasons of bliss.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC