Author Topic: Tour incoming? (New Tour dates announced)  (Read 25559 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tour incoming? (New Tour dates announced)
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2021, 07:45:55 AM »
Scotty, that interview seems specific to the Prog Nation tour which was a bit different than a standard tour.  Does that still apply to just a typical two band tour?  Like Lethean, I've heard of similar stories where the openers pay to be on the bill, not the other way around.  I'm guessing it kind of depends on tour and promoter really. 

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2021, 07:49:08 AM »
Does anyone have the presale code for the Boston show (Wang Theatre) on November 23? I swear I saw it was "DT2021" somewhere before but now I can't find where that was.

(reposting for the new page, my apologies)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2021, 07:58:13 AM »
Scotty, that interview seems specific to the Prog Nation tour which was a bit different than a standard tour.  Does that still apply to just a typical two band tour?  Like Lethean, I've heard of similar stories where the openers pay to be on the bill, not the other way around.  I'm guessing it kind of depends on tour and promoter really.

It really depends on the band and if they're considerate enough to take less profit.

I will say though. People will go to this show just for Arch Echo and people will see Dream Theater again just for Arch Echo.

This is a perfect pairing for an opening band.

A great example of these bands paying to play is the Mayhem Festivals...Battlecross got invited to play, but they ended up having to set up a Crowdfunding page. I pledged and got the perk they had to watch from the side stage. I got a ticket, and was notified where to meet the band before they go on. I met them on the side of the stage, and they gave me a wristband and asked if I was 21, I was 24 and then the guitarist gave me a beer. Then I proceeded to the stage and they told me where to stand as the band members went back and got their gear before heading on stage.

That was neat and a great way to help the band fund their Mayhem tour, which you hope turns out more fans.

This past Uproar Tour I went to was a total failure and they didn't even sell enough tickets to open the grass in our venue. 😂 The bands on that lineup were not well known, and even at that were not that well known here. I only went for Circa Survive. I am sure those bands didn't make much at all, except for the mainstage bands. They didn't even have a side stage. They all used the mainstage. It was really horrible in terms of show.

I forgot...One of the most oddest pairing I've seen for an opening band is Coheed and Cambria opening up for Slipknot. I was not into Coheed at the time and was pregaming in the parking lot. We went in and this guy we know from home works for the security company for certain venues and he said Coheed were getting booed. I laughed and said, of course, who thought this pairing was a good idea, especially here in New Mexico. New Mexico still holds the Metal Ideology of music and considers Coheed chicky music, at least all the Slipknot Metal heads do.

Yet, when Coheed comes, they can pack the venue pretty good.

Sometimes these lineup are made by the record companies that pair their bands on their label together. Which is what I think happened with Slipknot and Coheed and Cambria.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 08:05:56 AM by Ben_Jamin »
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2021, 08:08:26 AM »
Does anyone have the presale code for the Boston show (Wang Theatre) on November 23? I swear I saw it was "DT2021" somewhere before but now I can't find where that was.

PANIC seems to be the one working for most people yesterday. Might be the same for Today's presale.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2021, 08:10:40 AM »
Bosk, don't expect you to know but, is there a reason why they always start the tour of the west coast?
Dunno about the Thanksgiving factor, but it could be just the best routing option that they had. Plus being on the west coast, where the music industry is located might play into it. Nevermind that there are probably more venue options for them to pick from for rehearsals than other parts of the country. Even the fact that the weather is milder on the west coast during that time of year could be a possibility, although I doubt it was.

Thank you Scotty, I didn't think about rehearsal space and I think that makes the most sense as a reason to start in CA.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2021, 08:46:18 AM »
I'm all trying to buy tickets and they don't go onsale until 10am....It's 8:45 here... :loser: :facepalm: :lol
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2021, 09:03:15 AM »
St. Louis and Minneapolis here we come!   :metal

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2021, 09:24:17 AM »
CT show on my birthday weekend  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2021, 09:27:58 AM »
 :natalieportman: :'( tried multiple codes for the NY show and none worked. I guess I'll wait for general sale and hope there are still good seats left.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2021, 09:30:50 AM »
The code for the Boston show should be MARQUEE, just got a new email with it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2021, 09:34:02 AM »
The code for the Boston show should be MARQUEE, just got a new email with it.

Thank you!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2021, 09:46:46 AM »
So how does this work? If I have a Citi credit card, I can order 2 days before those that don't?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #117 on: July 28, 2021, 09:49:47 AM »
So how does this work? If I have a Citi credit card, I can order 2 days before those that don't?

Looks like CT has a citi presale so yes. I believe your "presale code" is the last 6 numbers on your card (maybe the first 6).

I might do CT then, it might be better than Brooklyn anyways.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #118 on: July 28, 2021, 09:59:55 AM »

Looks like CT has a citi presale so yes. I believe your "presale code" is the last 6 numbers on your card (maybe the first 6).

I might do CT then, it might be better than Brooklyn anyways.

Cool. Thanks! For what it's worth, the place they play at in CT is IMO the best venue in our state. It's an awesome place to see any concert, especially a band like DT. It is a "comfy" venue though. Lots of people prefer to sit during the show.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2021, 10:01:05 AM »
Is there a regular presale code for Chicago? Not citi

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2021, 10:01:13 AM »
....aaaaaand the website crashed.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2021, 10:06:03 AM »

Try again, mine crash so I reopened and I was able to get second (really front row) tickets on section 101  :metal Thanks for letting me know about the Citi presale.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2021, 10:11:11 AM »
2nd row center on the aisle of Balcony, just behind Mezzanine. $175 for two tickets..I can live with that.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2021, 10:11:55 AM »

Thank you for sharing this code, just got a front row center ticket for the NJ show, total after fees: $117.  There were also the $35 tickets in the back that I would normally buy but since I saw the opportunity for front row, I'm in!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2021, 10:13:16 AM »
We had front row center tix for the Black Clouds show and it was amazing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2021, 10:14:52 AM »
We had front row center tix for the Black Clouds show and it was amazing.

Was in the front row for TA tour, it was like they were performing for me personally it felt.  I've been pretty big on just buying the cheap last row tickets for DT lately, but couldn't resist when having the opportunity for front row.  I'm kind of a front or last row person for DT these days and I'm not usually fortunate enough to score front row.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2021, 10:15:31 AM »

Try again, mine crash so I reopened and I was able to get second (really front row) tickets on section 101  :metal Thanks for letting me know about the Citi presale.

I got mine too.

I have to say, this really aggravates me even though it's not where I was going to sit. This was as soon as the tickets were released. All the tickets that the biggest fans would want are already spoken for. I ended up getting the two seats where I put that red marker (prime sitting seats not obstructed by sound booth and crew). I would have liked that front row right on the railing, but those are already spoken for as well.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 10:20:51 AM by Chino »

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2021, 10:27:26 AM »

The Facebook password METROPOLIS seemed to work for me.
EDIT: But I will note that I was not able to buy tickets on my desktop for some reason.  Had to execute the transaction on my iPad.

I had the same issue with using my laptop.  Had to switch to my phone for purchase. 

For Cincinnati I found the presale code PANIC by (briefly) signing up here: https://presale.codes/ 

It cost me $6.95, but I was able to cancel the subscription immediately after.

Zircon

Can I send $3.50 your way? I used the Panic code for the Austin show and it worked. I managed to get great seats, dead center, first row, in the balcony.

Thanks for the offer, but no need.  I'm just glad to be of help. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2021, 10:38:57 AM »
Toronto is pretty much 1/2 sold already.  Rochester is actually closer to me (depending on the border status come November).  It too has limited seats available.  Think I'll just see what things are like the week of the show, in case any 'allocated but not sold' tickets come back into the pool.  >$200 CAD for a single ticket isn't getting me terribly excited.  I'll have to see how interesting the album is come October, and then decide.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2021, 10:40:33 AM »
2nd row center on the aisle of Balcony, just behind Mezzanine. $175 for two tickets..I can live with that.

You're one row in front of me!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2021, 10:42:44 AM »

Balc C Row F seats 113-114

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2021, 10:49:07 AM »

Scratch that, same row! We're seats 108-110.

How the fuck did that happen. :lol Unintentional DTF meetup!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2021, 10:52:03 AM »
Didn't know it was a shared headlining tour.  Just wish I didn't have to work 3rd shift that night, and leave before the combined encore.
It wasn't. They only did the shared headlining tour in 2003 with Fates Warning opening. In 2009, QR appeared at only one Progressive Nation show, and that was because they were booked in the same city on the same day as PN09, and the promoters asked if QR could be added to the bill since the turn out for QR would be dismal if they performed at a separate location. So DT was willing to let them be a part of that specific show. Zappa Plays Zappa was direct support for DT, so QR played before them, and there was no shared encore.

Sorry, Setlist, I didn't see that 2009 comment in between.  I was at both shows.  In '09, I saw them with a friend from Tennessee up in Philly (the dramatic curtain drop got hung up).  The next night, a friend from Philly came down to see that Qryche/ZMZ/DT show at Merriweather in Columbia.  Sadly, I was so disillusioned with Qryche at the time, as was my friend, that we skipped their segment.  Absolute killer versions/video backdrops for 'Sacrificed Sons' and 'The Count of Tuscany' that I wish I had videos of.  I'll never forget those standout performances.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2021, 10:59:26 AM »

Scratch that, same row! We're seats 108-110.

How the fuck did that happen. :lol Unintentional DTF meetup!

Oh shit. Definitely.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2021, 11:14:08 AM »
I would imagine that it's even more applicable when there's one opener instead of three! If they're willing to cover the costs and even pay three bands, why wouldn't they do it for just one band? Don't forget MP compared having openers to just going at it alone - so I don't think it matters whether it's one opener or four.

I've heard the pay-for-play bit too, but DT doesn't strike me as being that kind of a band. I'd imagine that's more for festivals anyway where money is stretched much more thinly (as was the case with PN09). And honestly, I doubt the promoter has anything to do with that anyway - at least for DT. AFAIK, they haven't allowed any promoters to stick a local band on the bill for the last 25 years, aside from the summer "festival" run of shows DT did in the summer of 2019. Don't have any idea of how they handled it for those shows, but I could see that being an exception to the rule. But taking out specific openers, I'd imagine DT pays them something and covers the other costs.

In general, I believe that a deal is struck between the promoter and DT's management for a certain guarantee - whether the band chooses to give a cut of that to the opener(s) or not is something unrelated to management's deal with the promoter.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:20:14 AM by Setlist Scotty »
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #135 on: July 28, 2021, 11:20:06 AM »
Scored two tickets in the Orchestra section, which is 3 rows from the stage, almost in the middle more towards JM's side.  :metal :metal

Offline dtrocker25

« Reply #136 on: July 28, 2021, 11:30:52 AM »
Im so excited... my daughter had a friend who is into DT and had a Kings Theater presale code ..it was like 10:00 and 30 seconds and she got thru on Ticketmaster ...

5th ROW DEAD CENTER 4 tickets......   NYC HERE I COME IN THE FALL
 :metal

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #137 on: July 28, 2021, 11:33:47 AM »
I read this long ago on one of the best selling music business books.

Usually the openers don't get paid by the band (but the band may pay them). The opening band usually foots the bill on everything but may be partially or completely covered by the headliner. The opening band just survives on the income generated by the merch sales (if they don't get paid by the opener) and usually opening bands operate at a loss but they get a lot of publicity there (hence more sales, more streams, etc.). I think for a band like Arch Echo, they will definitely get a huge exposure and appeal for the DT crowd.

In the case of Prog Nation, that was sold to promoters as a package. So the promoter fees had to be split between DT and the rest of the bands (probably based on percentage since DT was the "headliner" and organizer of the package).

When I first saw Arch Echo, two of the guys were the backing band for Tony MacAlpine. Those members got paid by Tony. The others didn't but were working as stage hands, and running the merch stand for both Tony and AE.

For a band like Dream Theater, I don't think adding one or two hotel rooms and catering for 4-5 guys will ruin or affect DT's pockets. I think they'll probably be taken care of (at least food and boarding, possibly transportation). Ultimately, it depends on the arrangement between both of the bands' managers.

I'm completely stoked by this lineup.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #138 on: July 28, 2021, 11:44:28 AM »
I read this long ago on one of the best selling music business books.

Usually the openers don't get paid by the band (but the band may pay them). The opening band usually foots the bill on everything but may be partially or completely covered by the headliner. The opening band just survives on the income generated by the merch sales (if they don't get paid by the opener) and usually opening bands operate at a loss but they get a lot of publicity there (hence more sales, more streams, etc.). I think for a band like Arch Echo, they will definitely get a huge exposure and appeal for the DT crowd.

In the case of Prog Nation, that was sold to promoters as a package. So the promoter fees had to be split between DT and the rest of the bands (probably based on percentage since DT was the "headliner" and organizer of the package).

When I first saw Arch Echo, two of the guys were the backing band for Tony MacAlpine. Those members got paid by Tony. The others didn't but were working as stage hands, and running the merch stand for both Tony and AE.

For a band like Dream Theater, I don't think adding one or two hotel rooms and catering for 4-5 guys will ruin or affect DT's pockets. I think they'll probably be taken care of (at least food and boarding, possibly transportation). Ultimately, it depends on the arrangement between both of the bands' managers.

I'm completely stoked by this lineup.

That is likely what is happening.

I am also completely stoked, more so excited to see Arch Echo again, even if it is just an opening set, mainly in hopes they play Measure of A Life.

Being that they're bringing an opening band. I am expecting Dream Theater to have no static setlist and I do hope they rotate most of the songs from both the old and new songs. That would make for a great change of pace, and one that would be more beneficial for the fans getting a shorter set-time. I think this tour would be the perfect opportunity.

But I won't know until I go see them right. And I am really excited to be going to the first Dream Theater show since the Pandemic. So I don't have to have the worry of not looking at the setlist spoilers.  :biggrin:

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #139 on: July 28, 2021, 12:22:53 PM »
Well get to see them again in Nashville. Should be interesting to see what the set list will look like.  I wonder if all band members will have input with the set list?

Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.