Author Topic: Tour incoming? (New Tour dates announced)  (Read 25250 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tour incoming? (New Tour dates announced)
« Reply #70 on: July 27, 2021, 02:43:30 PM »
I’m going to an outdoor Primus show in 3 weeks, and I’m a bit nervous about it.

Not sure how I feel about being in a closed theater with the variant creeping around.

Yeah - this might be the first DT tour that I skip.  Maybe I'll change my mind as it gets closer, but I definitely won't be buying any  presale tickets.  I was really hoping they'd just wait until 2022 for a tour.

I wonder if this is why they are bringing an opener this time around?  Maybe they expect to draw a bit less playing indoor theaters?  I've actually been rooting for them to bring an opener for awhile now so I'm not upset.  I will try to be at the Red Bank show, very local for me and I've seen them there twice before.  :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #71 on: July 27, 2021, 02:49:19 PM »
Did JP or anyone else happen to mention at all why they decided to go with an opener on this tour?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #72 on: July 27, 2021, 02:56:08 PM »
Did JP or anyone else happen to mention at all why they decided to go with an opener on this tour?

Not yet, since "we don't know about the tour yet" ;) but they aren't getting any younger :lol, might be something to consider.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #73 on: July 27, 2021, 03:08:41 PM »
Well, if they're interested in promoting other bands while reducing their set from 3 to 2 hours, I'd say that makes perfect sense.  However, deciding on a shorter setlist might prove to be more difficult. ???
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: July 27, 2021, 03:11:41 PM »

Not yet, since "we don't know about the tour yet" ;) but they aren't getting any younger :lol, might be something to consider.

I haven't spoken to JP about that, specifically.  But keep in mind that they have done a LOT of "evening with" format tours for the last few album cycles.  That takes a toll, especially on a singer.  I wouldn't be surprised if James threatened to rebel if they didn't knock off the evening with shows for awhile. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Dream Team

« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2021, 03:14:45 PM »
Or, short of that, don’t feature a lot of songs that require belting at a high pitch.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2021, 03:19:49 PM »
Well, if they're interested in promoting other bands while reducing their set from 3 to 2 hours, I'd say that makes perfect sense.  However, deciding on a shorter setlist might prove to be more difficult. ???

I converted my Distant Memories Live In London to mp3 and, when I put it on VLC player, in the nights DT played Fall Into the Light, it was "only" 2:23:31 of music. So I don't think to reduce the show to 2 hours will be such a big difference.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2021, 03:23:25 PM »

I converted my Distant Memories Live In London to mp3 and, when I put it on VLC player, in the nights DT played Fall Into the Light, it was "only" 2:23:31 of music. So I don't think to reduce the show to 2 hours will be such a big difference.

and TA shows were a tad shorter.  I'd guess their set with an opener would be closer to 1 hour 50 minutes.  Still plenty of time to perform a full set.  Yeah, it won't be as much as an evening with, but I don't expect the cuts to a few songs to really bother me.  I'd be even more enthused if it meant some rotation in the set list, although I don't expect to see this show more than once as of now.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2021, 03:30:33 PM »

I haven't spoken to JP about that, specifically.  But keep in mind that they have done a LOT of "evening with" format tours for the last few album cycles.  That takes a toll, especially on a singer.  I wouldn't be surprised if James threatened to rebel if they didn't knock off the evening with shows for awhile.
Also, they've been off for over a year which has never happened to them - at their age, they might feel it's best to work their way back up to 3 hour shows again.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2021, 03:38:29 PM »
I suspect it is a lot of different factors.  But I know these guys are hungry to get out and play again, and I would expect a great show.  And I will probably start poking at JP soon about the set, and will see if I can drop any little hints once I know anything.  And if not, I'll fake like I can just to keep you all excited anyway.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online geeeemo

« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2021, 03:48:18 PM »
I suspect it is a lot of different factors.  But I know these guys are hungry to get out and play again, and I would expect a great show.  And I will probably start poking at JP soon about the set, and will see if I can drop any little hints once I know anything.  And if not, I'll fake like I can just to keep you all excited anyway.  :biggrin:

Oh, so we won't know what's true or not  :justjen

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2021, 03:50:16 PM »
Well, I won't say anything false.  I'm just good at misdirection.  I have teenagers to learn from.  :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2021, 03:54:49 PM »
What Bosk is trying to say is that he's a really good magician!  :lol

Online geeeemo

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2021, 03:55:39 PM »
Ok then, I will listen to you like your a teen.   :|

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2021, 04:41:59 PM »
Bosk, don't expect you to know but, is there a reason why they always start the tour of the west coast?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2021, 04:49:52 PM »
I suspect it is a lot of different factors. 

I'm sure this is the case

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »
Well, I won't say anything false.  I'm just good at misdirection.  I have teenagers to learn from.  :lol

King of Misdirection  :lol

Online geeeemo

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2021, 05:30:39 PM »
Ok then, I will listen to you like your a teen.   :|
Hope that didn't come off rude. :blush  :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2021, 05:36:32 PM »
Bosk, don't expect you to know but, is there a reason why they always start the tour of the west coast?

They have clearly set the tour up so that they are home for Thanksgiving.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2021, 05:43:31 PM »

:lol I don't get the feeling the band has much input on the tour scheduling, but I do wonder if they can put in certain requests... "be in the NYC area for Thanksgiving" for example as I'm pretty sure they already request to play theaters not GA ballrooms (unless maybe the scheduling only permits them to squeeze such a show in).  I'm just guessing here, I have no idea but it certainly seems like bands have some slight control of things.  I'm just going to be bummed if the ushers are out again.  I hope that is in the past, easily the worst thing about a DT show IMO and that has clearly seemed to be a band request, not venue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2021, 05:45:43 PM »

:lol I don't get the feeling the band has much input on the tour scheduling, but I do wonder if they can put in certain requests... "be in the NYC area for Thanksgiving" for example as I'm pretty sure they already request to play theaters not GA ballrooms (unless maybe the scheduling only permits them to squeeze such a show in).  I'm just guessing here, I have no idea but it certainly seems like bands have some slight control of things.  I'm just going to be bummed if the ushers are out again.  I hope that is in the past, easily the worst thing about a DT show IMO and that has clearly seemed to be a band request, not venue.

I absolutely feel like that can say, we want to spend Thanksgiving at home, let's be in that part of the country at that point.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2021, 06:00:16 PM »

Also, they've been off for over a year which has never happened to them - at their age, they might feel it's best to work their way back up to 3 hour shows again.
I doubt that's a factor. The guys in Rush would regularly take a year off or more in between tours, and they still managed well. Keep in mind that since there was just the 3 of them, they did a lot more juggling during a show than the DT guys. However, they did have the luxury of not playing consecutive dates and were able to split up their tour legs so that they weren't performing anywhere near as many dates as DT does in a comparable amount of time. I'd imagine that JL's ability to perform could be more of a factor in terms of age than the rest of the guys.

Dunno about the Thanksgiving factor, but it could be just the best routing option that they had. Plus being on the west coast, where the music industry is located might play into it. Nevermind that there are probably more venue options for them to pick from for rehearsals than other parts of the country. Even the fact that the weather is milder on the west coast during that time of year could be a possibility, although I doubt it was.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2021, 06:33:45 PM »
Although I do enjoy the 3-hour DT shows, I'm fine with knocking a bit of time off and watching an opener. I'd rather the health and longevity of the band come first, and if that means shorter shows that are probably still 2 hours long, it'll still be a fantastic show!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2021, 06:43:31 PM »
Although I do enjoy the 3-hour DT shows, I'm fine with knocking a bit of time off and watching an opener. I'd rather the health and longevity of the band come first, and if that means shorter shows that are probably still 2 hours long, it'll still be a fantastic show!

I agree. In DT's case, I think it's okay to have one opener... Especially if it's a band that the DT audience will enjoy.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #94 on: July 27, 2021, 06:59:08 PM »
Yeah let’s face it, we’re greedy and we want as much DT as we can get. And I’m a little bummed that they’re bringing an opening act out this time, but whatever it is what it is. But to look on the bright side, shorter set time might mean more energy. And like Bosk said, these guys are hungry to play so the performance will probably be even better

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2021, 07:07:10 PM »
I became a fan in 2006 and right after they had stopped doing "evening with" shows, so for a long time, that's all I wanted to see.  Eventually they returned to doing them and I was ecstatic.  But over time, I kind of felt like they started milking it.  No rotating set lists, shorter and shorter sets (they still do a longer than normal headline set, but not the longer ones they used to do).  Once the spontaneity was removed and I saw most of the same songs over and over again (yes, DT does a great job rotating songs, but after ~20 shows, you've seen many repeats) I started thinking I'd rather them bring out a younger band that the audience may like and also may draw new fans to DT to keep things fresh.  I'm pretty happy about this decision.  I think it's best for both DT and the opener. Also to add, when DT would hit the stage, it was usually not to a huge crowd as people would still be getting in and also not really be ready for the music just yet.  An opener bridges that gap, loosening the crowd up.  We will still get a DT headlining show.  Maybe the bands collab on something as the tour goes on.  I miss seeing things like Dweezil Zappa playing Metropolis with DT for a special appearance at the NYC show as he was the opener and it allowed them to have a cool moment together.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2021, 07:28:24 PM »
One other thing that's a benefit to encourage them *not* to carry an opener is they get to keep all the profits for themselves; when they have an opener (or openers), they gotta cover the opening band(s) costs and pay them a salary, too. So financially, they're better off going at it alone. Will be interesting to see if they stick with having opening bands going forward, or if this is just a matter of them changing it up.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2021, 08:05:46 PM »
Super excited to see a Charlotte date, I'll be testing the presale code Thursday, hopefully it works

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2021, 08:51:19 PM »
My wife decided she wants to go to the San Diego show, so I bought a pair of tickets together, which means I need to unload the single ticket I bought earlier.  Orchestra, second row (BB) center.  Selling at face value.  I've listed it in the DT-Bay area, so anyone interested can just DM me.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2021, 08:56:35 PM »
One other thing that's a benefit to encourage them *not* to carry an opener is they get to keep all the profits for themselves; when they have an opener (or openers), they gotta cover the opening band(s) costs and pay them a salary, too. So financially, they're better off going at it alone. Will be interesting to see if they stick with having opening bands going forward, or if this is just a matter of them changing it up.

So the opening band for DT isn't on their own, and don't have to "pay to play?"  That's pretty cool if they opening band is actually getting a salary.  I know some smaller bands that have opened for smaller bands than DT that have had to buy onto the tour and don't get anything but merch sales.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #100 on: July 27, 2021, 09:00:25 PM »
I became a fan in 2006 and right after they had stopped doing "evening with" shows, so for a long time, that's all I wanted to see.  Eventually they returned to doing them and I was ecstatic.  But over time, I kind of felt like they started milking it.  No rotating set lists, shorter and shorter sets (they still do a longer than normal headline set, but not the longer ones they used to do).  Once the spontaneity was removed and I saw most of the same songs over and over again (yes, DT does a great job rotating songs, but after ~20 shows, you've seen many repeats) I started thinking I'd rather them bring out a younger band that the audience may like and also may draw new fans to DT to keep things fresh.  I'm pretty happy about this decision.  I think it's best for both DT and the opener. Also to add, when DT would hit the stage, it was usually not to a huge crowd as people would still be getting in and also not really be ready for the music just yet.  An opener bridges that gap, loosening the crowd up.  We will still get a DT headlining show.  Maybe the bands collab on something as the tour goes on.  I miss seeing things like Dweezil Zappa playing Metropolis with DT for a special appearance at the NYC show as he was the opener and it allowed them to have a cool moment together.

I'd much prefer a DT evening with set, but if I go to a show, I'm not going to complain about it either.  And as you pointed out, their evening with sets have been getting a bit shorter so I don't think their set time will be cut by that much. 

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2021, 09:47:13 PM »
So the opening band for DT isn't on their own, and don't have to "pay to play?"  That's pretty cool if they opening band is actually getting a salary.  I know some smaller bands that have opened for smaller bands than DT that have had to buy onto the tour and don't get anything but merch sales.
Nope, unless it's changed. Here's what MP had to say in the interview I did with him in 2009:
SH: In the last interview I read in the New Voice fanzine, you had mentioned wanting to make ProgNation a 5-band festival bill, and yet both the North American and European tours feature 4 bands.
MP: Once again, it’s another – mainly financial – logistical nightmare. At the start of this tour, in all the meetings I had with our booking agent, I was pushing for a 5-band thing that would start at 3 in the afternoon. And once again, there’s just so many behind the scenes reasons why those things are so much harder to implement than they appear on paper. Adding a fifth band on this tour is another bus, another 10 people you have to feed each day at catering – we pay for all the catering. Then there’s all the union fees – that means that load-in is gonna have to be that much earlier, the local hands at every show… It just gets harder and harder and harder, the more bands you have on the bill. There’s a million reasons why it is difficult. And believe me, my agent and my manager were trying to make Progressive Nation 3 bands. I put my foot down and said it’s gotta be at least four. I mean the Queensr˙che show in Maryland was a one-off example, but it’s a very big expense to do a tour like that. To be honest with you, this is the first tour in a very long time where we’re not making money – we’re breaking even. In addition to ticket sales being really light this summer – for every tour – which surely hurt us, we’re paying Zappa a lot of money and all of the other bands and the catering, the union fees and blah blah blah. At the end of the day, it would be way more financially feasible to do an evening with tour and just pocket the money ourselves. But to me, I want to offer something more to the fans. And I know that’s a debate – I know a lot of people would prefer an evening with – it would make more sense for it to be an evening with, but those 3 hour shows are tough on us.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: July 27, 2021, 10:16:01 PM »
That Queensryche show in Maryland was the first time I saw Dream Theater.  In fact, when the band came on, I saw some sleeveless hooded lead guitarist blasting away, a bald headed goateed lead singer in sunglasses walk up to the mic, and me and my wife are like 'this is an odd looking band' but I recognized the tune.  It was 'Open' as the opening song.  And we looked at each other a few seconds later, and went 'WTF!?!  That's Geoff Tate!'   :lol

Didn't know it was a shared headlining tour.  Just wish I didn't have to work 3rd shift that night, and leave before the combined encore.

Two bands are plenty for weeknights. 

I really enjoyed Zappa Meets Zappa.  Elf was odd.  Trivium was not my style.  Arch Echo will be kinda blase, same ol' same ol' without any vocals, but I'm sure there will be parts worthwhile.  The inbetween intermission will be a nice anticipation period for a change.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #103 on: July 27, 2021, 10:40:37 PM »
Didn't know it was a shared headlining tour.  Just wish I didn't have to work 3rd shift that night, and leave before the combined encore.
It wasn't. They only did the shared headlining tour in 2003 with Fates Warning opening. In 2009, QR appeared at only one Progressive Nation show, and that was because they were booked in the same city on the same day as PN09, and the promoters asked if QR could be added to the bill since the turn out for QR would be dismal if they performed at a separate location. So DT was willing to let them be a part of that specific show. Zappa Plays Zappa was direct support for DT, so QR played before them, and there was no shared encore.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2021, 07:35:25 AM »
Does anyone have the presale code for the Boston show (Wang Theatre) on November 23? I swear I saw it was "DT2021" somewhere before but now I can't find where that was.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1