Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 177451 times)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
Re: Avatar (Spoilers likely)
« Reply #420 on: January 21, 2010, 08:55:53 AM »
Saw this film and hated it. Heres why.

My grandmother was a full blooded Cherokee, which makes my dad 1/2 and myself 1/4. I grew up with a respect and appreciation for my American Indian heritage, and not in the way that nearly every American claims to have Indian blood in their lineage either. I have relatives who still live on the res in N.C.

Anyway, about 20 minutes into this film~ I realized that this is nothing more than the remake of the story of the plight of the American Indian. Hell, they shoot arrows, ride horse-like creatures, and even have battle cries not unlike American Indians. S

what like the mongolians and turks? there are a ton of stories that repeat in history, no need to get all bunched up over it just because the story is the same.

Like I said, I think it just hit a discordant nerve with me that I spent the remainder of the film trying to get passed, and I couldn't.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #421 on: January 21, 2010, 08:57:38 AM »
that's ok i was just baiting, turks, mongoalians, and the american indians are the same race anyway.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #422 on: January 21, 2010, 08:59:25 AM »
God damn mongowians

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #423 on: January 21, 2010, 09:00:37 AM »
knocking down my shitty warl for the rast time

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #424 on: January 21, 2010, 09:17:14 AM »
AHHHHH! SWEET AND SOUR PORK!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #425 on: January 21, 2010, 02:51:22 PM »
In terms of sci-fi either Moon or District definitely deserve it above Avatar, mostly Moon.
Completely agree. I liked Avatar a lot, but Moon and District 9 were amazing. :tup

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #426 on: January 21, 2010, 03:16:06 PM »
...and if you don't see that the plight of the American Indian (please don't say Native American- its disrespectful) was basically exploited for this film, I feel sorry for you. While visually stunning- I think the film it was exploitative in a way.

I can't agree with this. Say what you will about Avatar, but it seems like a perfectly earnest attempt by Cameron to make a film about how technologically advanced societies dehumanize and try to subjugate technologically less advanced societies. I have a lot of issues with Avatar (I think the Na'vi culture is too simplistically derived from American Indian culture), but Cameron exploiting American Indian history isn't one of them.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #427 on: January 21, 2010, 04:58:33 PM »
If all you see in the movie is the similarities to the Native Americans, I feel sorry for you. You are focusing too much on a small aspect of the movie.

Listen I know you're a rabid Avatar fan but the Native American aspect was a big part of the movie.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #428 on: January 21, 2010, 07:31:11 PM »
I don't see what's so disrespectful about the white guy joining the tribe, quickly mastering their culture within weeks, and becoming the greatest Indian of all time(!!!). :huh:

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #429 on: January 21, 2010, 08:07:59 PM »
I don't see what's so disrespectful about the white guy joining the tribe, quickly mastering their culture within weeks, and becoming the greatest Indian of all time(!!!). :huh:

I wish I could be the greatest black guy of all time, but that honor belongs to the voice of Morgan Freeman :sadpanda:
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #430 on: January 21, 2010, 08:37:57 PM »

but that honor belongs to the voice of Morgan Freeman :sadpanda:

That is one thing we agree on.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #431 on: January 23, 2010, 06:10:28 PM »
I just saw it for the first time this afternoon, and I was blown away.

That's all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #432 on: January 23, 2010, 06:14:03 PM »
I saw Avatar a few weeks ago and I have to say it is the biggest piece of CRAP I have ever seen! Great cinematography though. Granted I only saw it in 2D but no extra dimension can salvage that piece of shit!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #433 on: January 23, 2010, 06:16:33 PM »
I saw Avatar a few weeks ago and I have to say it is the biggest piece of CRAP I have ever seen! Great cinematography though. Granted I only saw it in 2D but no extra dimension can salvage that piece of shit!
Come on.  You've never seen a worse movie than Avatar?  Really?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jimbosile

« Reply #434 on: January 23, 2010, 06:20:52 PM »

I think just the hype and the stupid people saying "BEST MOVIE EVER MADE!!!!!!!", warrants that critisism!

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #435 on: January 23, 2010, 06:42:33 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #436 on: January 23, 2010, 07:03:51 PM »

I think just the hype and the stupid people saying "BEST MOVIE EVER MADE!!!!!!!", warrants that critisism!
Well, it's not the best film ever made, but your reaction seems a little overblown.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #437 on: January 23, 2010, 07:55:36 PM »

I wish I could be the greatest black guy of all time, but that honor belongs to the voice of Morgan Freeman :sadpanda:

Sorry hun, maybe you should go back to being white?  :P

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #438 on: January 23, 2010, 10:00:51 PM »
I stumbled upon a few free passes and used them to catch Avatar again last night.  Packed house for a movie that's been out a month already caught me off guard.  According to Friday's numbers, looks like it's going to stay number 1 again this weekend.  That will put it ahead of Dark Knight (domestically).  My God, does this movie really have a shot?  I can't believe no film has been able to touch Cameron's last . . . except Cameron's newest.  Fitting I suppose.

On the film, what a great pace up until SPOILERS the tree falls.  I can't exactly pinpoint why it loses its steam, but the movie just seems to trot along until the final battle where things pick up again.  Still, even the third time around, this movie is an experience.  I really hope Cameron follows up with a sequel.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #439 on: January 23, 2010, 10:25:26 PM »
You post like baby!

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #440 on: January 23, 2010, 10:49:28 PM »
Figure'd this belonged in the Avatar thread. Enjoy (esp. you Chino :tup)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYvHQXpFeRo
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #441 on: January 24, 2010, 04:21:42 AM »

That makes no sense whatsoever.

In fact, it's exactly the same as people saying it's amazing purely because it's so hyped up, which is actually very few people. Most people who say they love it genuinely do.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #442 on: January 24, 2010, 04:39:49 AM »
I will also say that watching this film in theaters WITHOUT watching in 3D sounds, I don't know, kind of dumb.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #443 on: January 24, 2010, 06:39:03 AM »
Avatar is plain and simple, a extremely fun, visually stunning movie experience. If your going to see some deep storyline, don't bother, but if you want to experience something you've never seen before on a movie screen, then go. I loved it because it was damn fun to watch.

and you can't not see it in 3D.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #444 on: January 24, 2010, 07:19:27 AM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
 :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Avatar is plain and simple, a extremely fun, visually stunning movie experience. If your going to see some deep storyline, don't bother, but if you want to experience something you've never seen before on a movie screen, then go. I loved it because it was damn fun to watch.

and you can't not see it in 3D.

This man speaks so much truth.

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #445 on: January 24, 2010, 10:31:06 AM »

:omg:.........

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #446 on: January 24, 2010, 11:48:49 AM »
I can't wait for the blu ray release of this film. I hope it will include hours of behind the scenes.

Offline Space Invader

• The Canadian Doctor Who Fanatic
  • DTF.org Member
  • Also recently addicted to Survivor
« Reply #447 on: January 24, 2010, 11:51:29 AM »
I can't wait for the blu ray release of this film. I hope it will include hours of behind the scenes.

Special features, commentaries, making-of, and art galleries FTW.
Everything can, should and will be progressive.

"The only thing that is certain is that nothing is certain" - Montaigne.

I'm going to need a SWAT team ready to mobilize, street over maps covering all of Florida, a pot of coffee, twelve Jammie Dodgers and a Fez - Eleventh Doctor

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #448 on: January 24, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »

Special features, commentaries, making-of, and art galleries FTW.

I'd really like to see concept art from 15 years ago when the story first started to be written.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #449 on: January 24, 2010, 12:14:10 PM »
so it passed the dark knight for 2nd highest grossing movies of all time.

https://www.imdb.com/boxoffice/alltimegross

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #450 on: January 24, 2010, 12:15:51 PM »
I can't even fathom how much money Mr. Cameron has.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #451 on: January 24, 2010, 12:57:34 PM »
I feel like he could release a two hour movie of him shitting and it'd gross a billion dollars no problem.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #452 on: January 24, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
Adjusted for inflation, it still isn't close to Titanic, and it really isn't close to the all-time champ Gone With The Wind.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/adjusted.htm

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #453 on: January 24, 2010, 04:43:22 PM »
I don't like those numbers though. What if the Avatar tickets are cheaper and more people go to see the movie multiple times, thus making its gross even higher? You just can't know.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #454 on: January 24, 2010, 05:07:11 PM »
I don't like those numbers though. What if the Avatar tickets are cheaper and more people go to see the movie multiple times, thus making its gross even higher? You just can't know.
I don't understand what you're saying.  Movie tickets are more expensive now than at any time in history.