Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 173990 times)

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Avatar (Spoilers likely)
« Reply #315 on: January 10, 2010, 06:22:07 PM »
That's two.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #316 on: January 10, 2010, 06:25:03 PM »
Why send in ground troops when a tactical non-nuclear missile strike would take care of everything you need?
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

If that ever happened to the Ometacya people, even in a movie, I'd have to kill myself.

Chino they're not real.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #317 on: January 10, 2010, 06:32:56 PM »
Why send in ground troops when a tactical non-nuclear missile strike would take care of everything you need?
I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

If that ever happened to the Ometacya people, even in a movie, I'd have to kill myself.

Chino they're not real.

I don't care.

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #318 on: January 10, 2010, 06:46:30 PM »
To say this is a masterpeice of story telling (as some people have told me at work and such) has given me many lol's. Before I saw it people were saying it is ground-breaking in not only tech, but story telling. Well 3D is certainly immersive and fantastic but to call the film ground-breaking plot wise?

Im all for popcorn flicks and I certainly enjoyed this from that aspect. I guess hindsight has it's benefits. I mean one-liners are great in these types of movies, but Sigorny Weaver's "I have to get samples" at the end was so cringe-worthy I had to take my 3D glasses, break the lense and start stabbing my eyes...that's how bad it was.

I mean, the two cannot really be compared as they are entirely different expect for being sci-fi, but District 9 whomped the sci-fi category last year and it blew me away. This on the other hand almost did (for different reasons obviously). What really annoyed me was the hype it got from everyone around me. "Go see it...it's the best movie ever made!"....what a load of bollocks.

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #319 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:30 PM »
"I have to get samples"

Made me laugh :lol
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: January 10, 2010, 08:29:54 PM »
But alas, you must make a good action movie so I guess it doesn't have to make sense when giant blue alien people are fighting missile laden hovercraft with bow and arrows....and win.
The ewoks defeated the empire!

I might go see it again at a cinema in the next few weeks, though I'll have to travel some way to find it in English.
You need the 3D experience. I'd be willing to see it in another language.
I gotta tell you, I watched it in 3D AND... My friend called me, I told her to reserve the tickets. I said that it had to be in 3D and the sooner the better. She called the movie theatre and she got two tickets at 3:30 pm. I was glad. Kids started to arrive at the theatre. I was only concerned that the kids will not shut up. To my surprise they were really quite enjoying the movie all along. After everything was in place and I had my goggles on: BAM!!! The narrator starts the movie talking in Spanish!!! My friend cover her mouth and said sorry like 30 times! "I didn't check if it was in English!!!"

At first I was really annoyed. But I wasn't gonna give US$7 and not watch the movie... So I endured the first 30 minutes and after that I got used to it (the glasses too).

Offline Volk9

« Reply #321 on: January 10, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »
 :lol

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #322 on: January 11, 2010, 04:57:01 AM »
I want an Avatar MMO

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #323 on: January 11, 2010, 04:33:42 PM »
In Russia an MMO wants Avatar

Offline Volk9

« Reply #324 on: January 11, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »
I want an Avatar MMO

You would want an Avatar board games too, wouldnt ya?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #325 on: January 11, 2010, 08:08:56 PM »
Fuck all of you. Turns out I'm not the only one.

https://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movies/01/11/avatar.movie.blues/index.html

"James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora."

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #326 on: January 11, 2010, 08:33:30 PM »
Get those people some fucking help.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #327 on: January 11, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »
Seriously. That's one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. Someone get them Planet Earth on Bluray to show them the parts of our planet that haven't been inhabited are just like Pandora.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #328 on: January 11, 2010, 09:38:24 PM »
 ::)

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #329 on: January 11, 2010, 10:05:14 PM »
Seriously. That's one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen. Someone get them Planet Earth on Bluray to show them the parts of our planet that haven't been inhabited are just like Pandora.
x2. I've heard people say, especially on facebook "man earth sucks compared to pandora". its a god damn shame, their loss I guess. But I had at least hoped that maybe when people saw this movie the would want to get out and experience nature or at least understand why many environments on earth are fragile and need protecting. seems not I guess.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Though a $350,000,000 budget would be nice. . .
« Reply #330 on: January 11, 2010, 10:38:23 PM »

"James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora."

I can understand where they're coming from. First few days after I saw this movie, I felt completely melancholic, seeing something that beautiful and unique, and then having to drive around in suburban Wisconsin? Oh look, it's another bankrupt car repair center, Where are the fucking dragons?

The difference is, I realized that this was just a work of art, one man's vision. There's nothing James Cameron has that I don't have when it comes to conceptualizing stories. When I understood that, I did something totally unthinkable to these people: I sat my ass down, put pen to paper and started writing for my own God damn self.

It ain't Avatar, but then again, Avatar ain't my worlds, either.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #331 on: January 11, 2010, 10:45:54 PM »
I went on a five and a half mile hike today up a mountain in snow. The whole time I was thinking, this is awesome, not as good as Pandora, but still really awesome.

Offline Volk9

« Reply #332 on: January 11, 2010, 10:58:42 PM »
I went on a five and a half mile hike today up a mountain in snow. The whole time I was thinking, this is awesome, not as good as Pandora, but still really awesome.

Looks like a nice sig to me :)

Offline cookienut

• Far Away From Home
« Reply #333 on: January 11, 2010, 11:40:56 PM »

I had the same thing walking in town today, except I was thinking to myself, "This is so not as awesome as Black Mesa".
 :biggrin:

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #334 on: January 12, 2010, 05:21:40 AM »
I'm more of a Xen guy myself.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #335 on: January 12, 2010, 05:30:41 AM »
I can't believe I'm agreeing with both scurvy and orcus here. :lol
I know some people treat movies like an escape from reality, but that is just sad.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #336 on: January 12, 2010, 11:40:21 AM »
Finally going to see Avatar today, will be back with my official review, then I can finally read the 1000 post before this one.

Offline TL

« Reply #337 on: January 12, 2010, 01:02:17 PM »
I really wish the world was more like Tony Hawk Proskater 4. Imagine, skateboard friendly architecture and random people just standing around all day to give you minor challenges, as far as the eye can see.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #338 on: January 12, 2010, 02:15:25 PM »
So. I did model trains for years. I build RC trucks. I make scaled down mid evil siege weapons. My next project, possibly my biggest undertaking ever.... I am recreating Pandora in my basement.Its going to like up and everything. Starting with everything on this page.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=avatar+action+figures&tag=googhydr-20&index=toys-and-games&hvadid=3171965159&ref=pd_sl_27jkq687sw_e

Am I missing something? No commentary on this?  ??? ???

What really annoyed me was the hype it got from everyone around me. "Go see it...it's the best movie ever made!"....what a load of bollocks.

This is what kills movies for people. As I think I said earlier in this thread or maybe the movie one, I really try to avoid hearing too much about a film before I see it because of this. Of course with Avatar it's damn near impossible to avoid discussion but not completely.

I gotta tell you, I watched it in 3D AND... My friend called me, I told her to reserve the tickets. I said that it had to be in 3D and the sooner the better. She called the movie theatre and she got two tickets at 3:30 pm. I was glad. Kids started to arrive at the theatre. I was only concerned that the kids will not shut up. To my surprise they were really quite enjoying the movie all along. After everything was in place and I had my goggles on: BAM!!! The narrator starts the movie talking in Spanish!!! My friend cover her mouth and said sorry like 30 times! "I didn't check if it was in English!!!"

At first I was really annoyed. But I wasn't gonna give US$7 and not watch the movie... So I endured the first 30 minutes and after that I got used to it (the glasses too).

:lol :lol, that's great

Kids can be pretty annoying in movies, especially 3D. I remember when my boyfriend and I went to see Up this little kid behind us kept yelling out 'WHOOOOOA" like every five minutes. It was funny/cute the first time but then I kind of wanted to yell at him. When my friend and I went to see Coraline in 3D these people brought a fucking BABY. Wtf? Anyway...

The article doesn't say these were emotionally stable people  :P

But I had at least hoped that maybe when people saw this movie the would want to get out and experience nature or at least understand why many environments on earth are fragile and need protecting. seems not I guess.

I think those kinds of complex ideas are beyond the average viewer, unfortunately.

I really wish the world was more like Tony Hawk Proskater 4. Imagine, skateboard friendly architecture and random people just standing around all day to give you minor challenges, as far as the eye can see.

:rollin

Actually it is. Better than Pandora. Y'know why?

BECAUSE IT'S REAL
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #339 on: January 12, 2010, 02:45:46 PM »
Are we sure Chino isn't trying to mess with us?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #340 on: January 12, 2010, 03:10:32 PM »

Chino they're not real.

I don't care.

Sorry but lol.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #341 on: January 12, 2010, 06:17:18 PM »
Lonestar's Official Avatar Review:
 :corn
 :)
 :o
 :eek
 :omg:
 :metal :metal :metal
 :hat
:clap:

Not the greatest movie of all time, but one helluva entertaining cinematic ride.  Definatly worth a trip to see it in IMAX.  Now I can start reading this thread. :biggrin:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2010, 06:20:11 PM »
Lonestar's Official Avatar Review:
 :corn
 :eek
 :metal :metal :metal
 :hat
:clap:

:tup

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #344 on: January 12, 2010, 08:37:17 PM »
My review:

;D
 :-\
 :-[
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #345 on: January 12, 2010, 09:00:58 PM »
im not buying into the hype, and all you guys can start the flames, but really? that was avatar? Pocahontas on roids? i didnt like it. i wish i just went and saw sherlock holmes for the second time, even though i knew the twists.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #346 on: January 12, 2010, 10:02:41 PM »

Kids can be pretty annoying in movies, especially 3D. I remember when my boyfriend and I went to see Up this little kid behind us kept yelling out 'WHOOOOOA" like every five minutes. It was funny/cute the first time but then I kind of wanted to yell at him. When my friend and I went to see Coraline in 3D these people brought a fucking BABY. Wtf? Anyway...

To tell you the truth, this was the first time I watched a movie in 3D. I  dodge an obstacle in the battle scene :lol Which reminds me, how slow that 3D feature has advanced in ten years! I remember that Spider-Man ride in Islands of Adventure and how it easily was the best ride for me, being  so real and fun, back in 1999 when I went there. Did it really have to take ten years or so to make the big studios implement it as a permanent feature in the movies (and I know Beowulf was in 3D too in 2006, but still!!)?!?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #347 on: January 12, 2010, 11:24:23 PM »
I just saw it again.

It was even better this time.

She keeps saying that.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #348 on: January 13, 2010, 12:09:35 AM »

To tell you the truth, this was the first time I watched a movie in 3D. I  dodge an obstacle in the battle scene :lol Which reminds me, how slow that 3D feature has advanced in ten years! I remember that Spider-Man ride in Islands of Adventure and how it easily was the best ride for me, being  so real and fun, back in 1999 when I went there. Did it really have to take ten years or so to make the big studios implement it as a permanent feature in the movies (and I know Beowulf was in 3D too in 2006, but still!!)?!?

Well the technology itself has been around for half a century. First off, it's a matter of the technology getting good enough to work with it, and show it in the cinema, and it's taken time for it to be slowly accepted enough that more studios will put up the money for the extra production costs of making the movie in 3D. I think it took the recent success of some big 3D films to really break it in.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #349 on: January 13, 2010, 12:47:50 AM »
Yeah Hitchcock made films in 3D. It fell out of fashion because of CGI basically, plus the fact that it never looked all that great because the technology wasn't as good (essentially the screen was designed to not change the polarisation of the light reflecting off it, but it still never looked that smooth, whereas digital screens get much better picture).

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.