Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 174121 times)

Offline Valdor

Re: Avatar (Spoilers likely)
« Reply #350 on: January 13, 2010, 10:51:17 AM »
I went on a five and a half mile hike today up a mountain in snow. The whole time I was thinking, this is awesome, not as good as Pandora, but still really awesome.

I too went on a long walk a couple of days after Avatar. I too was feeling rather melancholic that Pandora wasn't real. It was snowing, too.
The only difference is that, with the snow pouring down from the skies and the cold just barely held away by my coat, I realized Earth is a beautiful place, too, perhaps even more so than Pandora,and that we should enjoy and cherish what we have right here. Which I kinda think was the purpose of this film.

That, and make truckloads of cash.
Surely one day they'll work out it would be simpler and far more legal just to suckle on each others' teats in a kind of wonderful 69 of eternal calcium goodness.

Offline Martinman300

« Reply #351 on: January 13, 2010, 01:37:41 PM »
I just saw avartar and i thought it was one of the most beautiful films i have seen

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #352 on: January 14, 2010, 10:39:30 AM »
Anyone see Avatar on the Colbert Report?

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #353 on: January 14, 2010, 09:57:30 PM »
So apparently theres a little controversy springing up because a lot of the story, characters, and a lot of little things in Avatar seems to be exactly the same from an old PC game called Albion.

In the year 2227, the gigantic, interstellar space ship Toronto reaches a distant planetary system. The ship's owners, the huge corporation Doimlr-Daihatsu-Thompson, believe that there are rich deposits of raw materials on the third planet of the system, and the Toronto is to mine the whole planet's resources at once. The data that describes the planet as a desert, however, turns out to be false. Albion is a world full of life, secrets, surprises, and magic. When Tom Driscoll, the pilot of the reconnaissance team, discovers this, he swears to save Albion from Toronto's tentacles

Ok, so while that seems pretty generic, theres more. The natives of the planet are also "cat-like" people. And one thing that really stood out to me: Apparently the natives also use an organ that they haev to connect with plants, animals, and each other, just like in the movie.

DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline LeeHarveyKennedy

• Who is posting?
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Oh my God, LHK is posting! How can that be?
Re: Since he apparently ripped off everything else in existence. . .
« Reply #354 on: January 14, 2010, 10:09:38 PM »
Just wait 'till I go public with my story that James Cameron ripped off an acid trip of mine. I totally saw horses with six legs.
HOLY MARY MOTHER OF GOD!!!!!  THIS is why LHK is the President of Awesome.

Why is everything you post the best thing ever said?  :lol

LHK is beyond EPIC.
 :hefdaddy

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #355 on: January 14, 2010, 10:32:56 PM »

Ok, so while that seems pretty generic, theres more. The natives of the planet are also "cat-like" people. And one thing that really stood out to me: Apparently the natives also use an organ that they haev to connect with plants, animals, and each other, just like in the movie.

My fucking heart just sank.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #356 on: January 14, 2010, 10:36:07 PM »
https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/albion/screenshots/gameShotId,314897/

The game is even in 3D! Does Cameron's thievery know no bounds?!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #357 on: January 14, 2010, 10:37:17 PM »
Scurvy!Dreams.

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #358 on: January 14, 2010, 10:46:28 PM »
I just checked on IMDB, and that's the name of one of the Na'vi characters! There's no depth Jimmy C won't sink to.

(That incredible pun wasn't even intentional!)

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #359 on: January 14, 2010, 10:48:25 PM »
 :lol :lol

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
Re: Since he apparently ripped off everything else in existence. . .
« Reply #360 on: January 15, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »
Oh fuck. And it was released 15 years ago, eh?

Just wait 'till I go public with my story that James Cameron ripped off an acid trip of mine. I totally saw horses with six legs.

:lol
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #361 on: January 15, 2010, 05:44:21 AM »
I don't really see the resemblance, other than the tail. ???

Unless you guys are all being sarcastic. :P

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #362 on: January 15, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
I just checked on IMDB, and that's the name of one of the Na'vi characters! There's no depth Jimmy C won't sink to.

:lol
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #363 on: January 15, 2010, 09:41:17 AM »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #364 on: January 15, 2010, 10:12:50 AM »
I don't really see the resemblance, other than the tail. ???

Unless you guys are all being sarcastic. :P

Looks really similar to me, especially if you change the skin from brown to blue.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #365 on: January 15, 2010, 10:34:31 AM »
Did you read the description??
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #366 on: January 15, 2010, 01:47:07 PM »
Going to see this again tomorrow, in a cinema this time.

Amped as a bitch.

Offline Anaesthesia

• pastry
« Reply #367 on: January 15, 2010, 01:50:26 PM »
I read in a newspaper some people commited suicide over Pandora not being real and that they didn't feel anything compared to it.
120 px height.
In visible light // last fm

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #368 on: January 15, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »
I've seen a coouple post concerning theivery, and it brought to mind Alan Dean Foster's novels Midworld and Midflinx.  The world he developed in these books are eerily similar to Pandora, especially the concepts of the worldmind and the hometree.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #369 on: January 15, 2010, 01:54:53 PM »
I read in a newspaper some people commited suicide over Pandora not being real and that they didn't feel anything compared to it.
Some people are silly-billies.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #370 on: January 15, 2010, 02:02:34 PM »
That's so dumb. Pandora pretty much is our rainforests just minus the floating islands. I mean it's not like the plants were orange and the sky was purple. It looked almost exactly like Earth.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #371 on: January 15, 2010, 03:10:38 PM »
That's so dumb. Pandora pretty much is our rainforests just minus the floating islands. I mean it's not like the plants were orange and the sky was purple. It looked almost exactly like Earth.

Actually, there was an emphasis on many of the plants being different as well (i.e. Sully touching a lot of the plants as he straddled along). The planet hosted weird creatures, interactive plants, and more neighboring moons or planets.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #372 on: January 15, 2010, 04:20:24 PM »

Actually, there was an emphasis on many of the plants being different as well (i.e. Sully touching a lot of the plants as he straddled along). The planet hosted weird creatures, interactive plants, and more neighboring moons or planets.
Orcus's point is that while they added and exaggerated things, it was still based on our own world. And there is a lot of astounding beauty in our world. Anyone depressed because they think our world is not attractive is an idiot.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #373 on: January 15, 2010, 04:33:10 PM »

Orcus's point is that while they added and exaggerated things, it was still based on our own world. And there is a lot of astounding beauty in our world. Anyone depressed because they think our world is not attractive is an idiot.

I know, but he said the "plants weren't orange", when in fact there were some orange plants (the things that shrunk when you touched them seemed closer to orange of the usual colors). I mean, I agree that our world contains some fascinating marvels and it should leave no one to dwell too long over Pandora's own beauty (which really was gratifying), but it was a bit of a different world. It wasn't entirely new or even somewhat new, but it had its noticeable differences.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #374 on: January 15, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »
:facepalm:

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #375 on: January 15, 2010, 04:37:53 PM »

I know, but he said the "plants weren't orange", when in fact there were some orange plants (the things that shrunk when you touched them seemed closer to orange of the usual colors). I mean, I agree that our world contains some fascinating marvels and it should leave no one to dwell too long over Pandora's own beauty (which really was gratifying), but it was a bit of a different world. It wasn't entirely new or even somewhat new, but it had its noticeable differences.
He obviously didn't mean there were no orange plants at all. :lol We have orange plants here on Earth! He meant that the main foliage (which is green here) was still green, not some random other colour. Obviously there were differences (some minor, like the ones you mentioned, some huge like the massive tree they lived in) otherwise it would have just looked identical to Earth. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #376 on: January 15, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »
Ariich, just say that you want to joust with me, and we shall duel.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #377 on: January 15, 2010, 04:47:50 PM »
I challenge you...

*picks up glove and slaps James in the face with it*

...to a duel!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #378 on: January 15, 2010, 04:52:49 PM »
"I choose...the banjo"

Epic Win Props to anyone who gets that reference.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #379 on: January 15, 2010, 08:13:59 PM »

What idiots. But if it's any consolation, they were surely messed up in the head beforehand anyway if they were stupid enough to suicide over a fucking movie.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #380 on: January 16, 2010, 08:07:51 AM »
"I choose...the banjo"

The Curse of Monkey Island. Now give me my Epic Win.

I'm not saying that these landscapes only exist here, but seriously, guys, visit Latin America. At a distance it looks really beautiful, once you get into the forests and jungle, DAMN if it's a really hostile environment that you want to get out of immediately. And that's a thing the movie apparently did well, it fooled you in making you think everything is just beauty. The Nav'i (or what's it called) are adapted to it, like any indigenous person, but for us, average urban citizens, it is a nightmare.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #381 on: January 16, 2010, 08:49:16 AM »
 :rollin :rollin

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #382 on: January 16, 2010, 10:01:27 AM »
Did you guys get the joke when Jake saw his tail for the first time and (I don't remember who) said: "don't play with it too much or it will fall off?" or something like it?

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #383 on: January 16, 2010, 04:38:33 PM »
"I choose...the banjo"

The Curse of Monkey Island. Now give me my Epic Win.

:metal *hands epic win over*

Did you guys get the joke when Jake saw his tail for the first time and (I don't remember who) said: "don't play with it too much or it will fall off?" or something like it?

Nope, I thought it might be a reference though.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #384 on: January 16, 2010, 05:34:59 PM »
:lol it's a saying parents usually tell their kids so they don't play with their penis.