Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 174117 times)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
Re: Avatar (Spoilers likely)
« Reply #245 on: January 01, 2010, 03:52:34 PM »
The chick from Fast and the Furious, she painted her face and chopper with war paint before she got killed.

MUCH better known as Anna Lucia from LOST! And she kicked ass in this movie. Too bad she didn't hurt the General more than she did....

I thought she was utterly useless in the movie :-\

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #246 on: January 01, 2010, 03:57:56 PM »
She did have some big guns. )P
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
Re: Sorta like getting to lose your virginity again
« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2010, 11:31:36 PM »
I can't say I understand why someone would pay out the ass to see a movie in theaters more than once.  Just buy it when it comes out on DVD!

Because I will probably never be rich enough to have my own movie theater and it looked amazing on the big screen, and I'd like to be able to see it once more like that before that opportunity is gone forever.

that too

Yeah, some movies are 100x more entertaining on a big screen than just in your home. For example, Cloverfield was a perfect roller-coaster ride in the theater and was well-worth watching again that environment. But at home on a regular TV, it loses much of its appeal
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #248 on: January 02, 2010, 09:14:24 AM »
Just ordered Imax 3D tickets for Wednesday Morning. Round #5.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:07:19 AM by Chino »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #249 on: January 02, 2010, 09:33:38 AM »
OK Chino, someone needs to stage an intervention :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #250 on: January 02, 2010, 12:22:10 PM »
Hello everyone. My name is Chino, and I am an Avatar addict. I find myself seeing avatar two times a week. I find that I am usually bored with life, and going to see the movie Avatar in Imax 3D helps me escape from that. While I am in the theater, everything in life is suddenly good. Once I leave the theater, life goes back to the way it was, and I get even more depressed that I will never be able to live in Pandora. I find myself having to go back for more. It's a viscous cycle.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #251 on: January 02, 2010, 01:50:44 PM »
Saw it today in 3D. The story, honestly, nothing special. There were times where I was saying "James Cameron, you are boring me. I'm gonna fall asleep..." but as soon as the battle scenes started, that's when it got interesting. To me, there were many unnecessary characters; just fillers... (the friendly humans -except Sigourney- the "find me a diplomatic solution" guy and that nav'ii cousin of that navi whatever whatever.)
Parker is in charge of the company and the brains behind the operation? How do you describe him as filler?

I really don't understand your comment at all. Why do you need less characters? The movie was still very straight forward and there was certainly not an abundance of characters.
Either you expand or elaborate the characters or you get them out of the picture. Parker said, what, six lines in the movie? He was the boss (like a boss!) of the whole thing but he sure as hell didn't look like it.

I don't need less characters. I just need characters that are worth being in the movie. Not even Michelle Rodriguez convinces you why she's on the good side. "I didn't sign for this"... Err, OK? How the hell was I suppose to know that? Did your character had anything that made me imply that in a convincing way?

Jake Sully's friend. He seems mad that Jake is naturally good at doing what he does... but he then just accepts it. I mean, that's it? Are you sure you are worth being a character in this movie?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #252 on: January 02, 2010, 03:30:29 PM »
I'm guessing you hate 99% of films emin?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline shadowfex

« Reply #253 on: January 02, 2010, 04:13:24 PM »
Wow, I disagree with all those points.

- I thought it was plainly obvious that Parker was in charge of the whole operation

- Michelle Rodriguez was the pilot for the science geeks and naturally felt compassion for their plight. She understood the importance of the tree they were blowing up and that the Navi were not just savages.

- Norm had studied his ass off and Jake had just turned up with no idea what he was doing and he was accepted into the Navi tribe. I think Norm's initial reaction of jealousy was appropriate. He eventually came around but it wasn't instantaneous like you are implying.
"Once he had forests and mountains that were only his - listening to him. Once he would run through the summer days catching memories for ages to come. Now he is dressing this naked floor with his flesh and blood, and time passes by. His trade of pain might just have lead him to deal with consequence for some change as time passes by"

Offline faemir

« Reply #254 on: January 02, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
It's a viscous cycle.

I found it quite a slick cycle myself.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #255 on: January 02, 2010, 06:14:56 PM »

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #256 on: January 03, 2010, 05:41:13 AM »
Anyone else laugh at Giovanni Ribisi's bad Ari Gold impression? They should've just cast Piven if that's the angle they were going for.

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #257 on: January 03, 2010, 05:57:17 AM »
This movie was a major disappointment for me. I won't expound, but I will just leave a sentence.
The plot was too predictable and unoriginal.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #258 on: January 03, 2010, 08:19:35 AM »
Just saw this movie in 2D last night.  I have only two complaints against this movie; #1 is the generic plot, but it was told in such a way that it didn't detract from the movie too much, and #2 is that the last ~30 minutes kind of felt like they were rushed.  Overall, great movie, and the CGI was definitely awesome in this film. 9/10

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #259 on: January 03, 2010, 11:03:04 AM »
Just saw this movie in 2D last night.
Why?

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #260 on: January 03, 2010, 11:09:23 AM »
Because the movie theater I went to doesn't do 3D...

Offline faemir

« Reply #261 on: January 03, 2010, 11:56:32 AM »
Because the movie theater I went to doesn't do 3D...

I feel for you :sadpanda:

Offline Scurvy!Dreams

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #262 on: January 03, 2010, 01:50:55 PM »

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #263 on: January 03, 2010, 02:42:39 PM »
Holy shit! :omg:

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #264 on: January 03, 2010, 02:56:32 PM »
https://www.variety.com/article/VR1118013236.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

$1 billion worldwide.

I wouldnt be suprised if Chino got a thank you card from James Cameron himself
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #265 on: January 03, 2010, 04:20:00 PM »
Wow, I disagree with all those points.

- I thought it was plainly obvious that Parker was in charge of the whole operation

- Michelle Rodriguez was the pilot for the science geeks and naturally felt compassion for their plight. She understood the importance of the tree they were blowing up and that the Navi were not just savages.

- Norm had studied his ass off and Jake had just turned up with no idea what he was doing and he was accepted into the Navi tribe. I think Norm's initial reaction of jealousy was appropriate. He eventually came around but it wasn't instantaneous like you are implying.
Hey, if you got sold by the way this movie was told, I'm glad for James Cameron.

I did enjoy the battle scenes. Really, really cool. As my first 3D experience, a nice enjoyable treat. But with this amount of dedication, I honestly expected something better.

I'm guessing you hate 99% of films emin?
Nah, I hate movies with high expectations going this low. And even if I really didn't like it that much, I was thinking when the movie was ending: "objectively, this is a 4/5 movie". My problem was that I was expecting it to be a 5/5 or 6/5 movie. *Shrugs*

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #266 on: January 03, 2010, 06:41:45 PM »
Well, the height of the expectations are kind of chosen by you. I didn't go into this expecting or knowing too much and I loved it. I try to go in that way with most movies because people always kill them with hype.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2010, 06:53:31 PM »
While I am in the theater, everything in life is suddenly good. Once I leave the theater, life goes back to the way it was, and I get even more depressed that I will never be able to live in Pandora.
Wow. Dunno if you're joking, but that's literally the way I felt when I saw it. I think that was what was so cool about the movie for me; I really wanted it to be real. And it makes me sad that it never will be. They managed to create a really cool world. Plot and acting aside, no other movie has ever really made me feel like that before, so personally I praise them for that.

I'm not crazy, btw.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: January 03, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »
:lol Wow... :|

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #269 on: January 03, 2010, 08:30:01 PM »
While I am in the theater, everything in life is suddenly good. Once I leave the theater, life goes back to the way it was, and I get even more depressed that I will never be able to live in Pandora.
Wow. Dunno if you're joking, but that's literally the way I felt when I saw it. I think that was what was so cool about the movie for me; I really wanted it to be real. And it makes me sad that it never will be. They managed to create a really cool world. Plot and acting aside, no other movie has ever really made me feel like that before, so personally I praise them for that.

I'm not crazy, btw.

That is exactly how I felt. I thought walking out of the theater "wow, Earth is gay."  This movie struck me somewhere. I don't really know how to describe it. I got a sense of something I never got from watching a movie before. I know that sounds weird.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #270 on: January 03, 2010, 09:50:59 PM »

I'm not crazy, btw.

That is exactly how I felt. I thought walking out of the theater "wow, Earth is gay."  This movie struck me somewhere. I don't really know how to describe it. I got a sense of something I never got from watching a movie before. I know that sounds weird.

I agree except for the "gay" part. Although I guess I had more of a feeling like "Wow, I wish most humans felt the same love and connection for our planet, then maybe we wouldn't be in the situation we are today." It made me kind of sad.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #271 on: January 04, 2010, 09:06:29 AM »
I can't wait to see what the "uncut/director's cut" of this movie is going to be like.   :corn
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline faemir

« Reply #272 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:05 AM »
I can't wait to see what the "uncut/director's cut" of this movie in 3D is going to be like.   :corn

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #273 on: January 04, 2010, 10:40:43 AM »
Nah, I hate movies with high expectations going this low. And even if I really didn't like it that much, I was thinking when the movie was ending: "objectively, this is a 4/5 movie". My problem was that I was expecting it to be a 5/5 or 6/5 movie. *Shrugs*
Wait, a 4/5 movie is bad? I consider it a 4-star movie as well, which is extremely good as far as I'm concerned. It was obviously going to be predictable and I wasn't expecting anything spectacular from the script, by now I know what to expect from James Cameron. And it delivered.

If you expected something different, that's your own fault really, though 4/5 is still very good surely?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #274 on: January 05, 2010, 09:05:35 AM »
Well, objectively it is good. Mixed feelings, if you may. I dunno. Right now "I'm too much in the sun".

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #275 on: January 05, 2010, 09:57:17 AM »
I can't wait to see this movie tomorrow. I haven't watched it in 6 days.

Offline faemir

« Reply #276 on: January 05, 2010, 11:40:04 AM »

._. I haven't seen it in weeks :sadpanda:

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #277 on: January 05, 2010, 07:11:43 PM »

:lol

How much money have you given to them??

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #278 on: January 05, 2010, 07:42:38 PM »

:lol

How much money have you given to them??

After tomorrow, $72.75 on myself, $39.75 on the 3 girls I have brought.

Offline Dr. SeaWolf

• DT.net Member
  • Living in the pupil of 1,000 eyes.
« Reply #279 on: January 05, 2010, 07:44:48 PM »
Was it worth it though?

3 girls

Of course it was :D