Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 154825 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Kamelot
« Reply #1330 on: March 25, 2023, 01:01:43 PM »
Gave it a spin today, it's definitely a Kamelot album, not so deeply familiar with their work to distinguish it, but it's some good stuff. Hoping they tour around PPUSA, they're always a great show.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1331 on: March 26, 2023, 04:55:05 AM »
Just had a listen to Silverthorn....is it just me or did the band purposely seek out someone who was similar to Roy Khan?

I think it is more like the singer, Tommy, purposely sings more in the style of Roy Khan. In Seventh Wonder and Ayreon his vocals are different. I love his vocals either way, but understand why some people want him to sound more like he does on non-Kamelot albums.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1332 on: March 27, 2023, 03:00:14 AM »
Think it's the ballad's that let this album down most.  Midsummer's Eve is way to twee and Willow loses points for rhyming Willow with Pillow.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1333 on: March 27, 2023, 08:34:46 AM »
Think it's the ballad's that let this album down most.  Midsummer's Eve is way to twee and Willow loses points for rhyming Willow with Pillow.

Uh isn't that how it's pronounced though?

I agree though, these ballads aren't great.  Midsummer's Eve tries be a bit more of an older style of Kamelot ballad giving a medeival type of feel, but it comes off as a bit too cheesy for me.  It's not bad though, I just don't love it.  Willow sounds more like the previous ballads they've done and doesn't do it any better to make it much enjoyable.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1334 on: March 31, 2023, 10:09:58 AM »
Well if anything, the new album introduced me to Melissa Bonny and now I'm checking out the new Ad Infinitum album which so far is pretty solid

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1335 on: March 31, 2023, 10:47:34 AM »
Well if anything, the new album introduced me to Melissa Bonny and now I'm checking out the new Ad Infinitum album which so far is pretty solid

She's great. There's a billion plus female fronted goth metal bands out there but for some reason Ad Infinitum have always stood out to me as something special. Their first two albums are great and I'm looking forward to the new one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1336 on: March 31, 2023, 11:30:34 AM »

She's great. There's a billion plus female fronted goth metal bands out there but for some reason Ad Infinitum have always stood out to me as something special. Their first two albums are great and I'm looking forward to the new one.

It's out today and I streamed it, enjoyed it, then purchased the CD so hopefully I can get it signed at ProgPower.  Amazon also gives you the immediate digital download so I have that now on my phone.  I knew of them, but never really listened until recently a few songs and then today the full new album. I'll have to dig into the older stuff in due time.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1337 on: March 31, 2023, 05:02:05 PM »
Gave it a couple of spins today, don't think it's as good as Chapter 2 but it's still a solid listen (maybe moved alittle to much towards the pop side like Amaranthe)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1338 on: April 25, 2023, 11:56:57 AM »

Already have my ProgPower tickets, but I'll probably go to NYC as well

As much as I enjoy Battle Beast, I do wish they'd tour with someone else.  They toured with them last two US tours.

Online Adami

« Reply #1339 on: April 25, 2023, 12:06:29 PM »
Isn't Tommy's wife the singer for Battle Beast?

And yea, don't care for them or Xandria. Not sure I'd go to this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1340 on: April 25, 2023, 12:12:41 PM »

Tommy's wife is the singer from Kobra and the Lotus, who I'm not sure are even a thing anymore?  I haven't heard of anything about them in years. I'm not familiar with Xandria although I get the feeling they are similar to Delain / Ad Infinitum?  I was really hoping Ad Infinitum would be on their tour.

Online Adami

« Reply #1341 on: April 25, 2023, 12:14:10 PM »
Ah you're right. My mistake.

I've heard random Xandria songs on youtube (always was open to them since an ex named her daughter Xandria years ago) but their music always just felt insanely generic to me. I'd see them with Ad Infitum. That'd be cool.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1342 on: April 25, 2023, 12:19:31 PM »
It is odd that Battle Beast and Xandria are not playing ProgPower but will be rejoining Kamelot for the final date of the tour?  They just going to hang out in Atlanta during that time?  :lol I was guessing Ad Infinitum might be touring wtih Kamelot since they are also playing Progpower.  I guess the festival has two bands that can be replacements if anyone pulls out.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1343 on: April 25, 2023, 01:01:57 PM »
It is odd that Battle Beast and Xandria are not playing ProgPower but will be rejoining Kamelot for the final date of the tour?  They just going to hang out in Atlanta during that time?  :lol I was guessing Ad Infinitum might be touring wtih Kamelot since they are also playing Progpower.  I guess the festival has two bands that can be replacements if anyone pulls out.

I am thinking while Kamelot is in Atlanta, the other bands and their stage production will already be in Florida and have a day for themselves.

If Ad Infinitum was touring with Kamelot, I would've instantly tried to go to Denver. But, now, I am on the fence.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1344 on: April 25, 2023, 01:09:50 PM »
Yeah, they could just move on.  Or hold another concert somewhere else. Who knows.

I'll definitely go and I expect it will be a lot of fun, but I'm not as excited for this tour as I should be.  I think the Progpower show will be a lot better since it includes a meet and great.

As for the album, I've listened many times and it's fine, but hasn't grown on me in any meaningful way.  Probably another reason why this tour isn't all super exciting for me.  I do think New Babylon will be sick live though.  I hope they pull out My Pantheon for the US leg.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1345 on: April 26, 2023, 02:47:41 AM »
I'd say Xandria are more like Nightwish.  They've been though more female singers than Nightwish - 5 so far!  The two albums they made with  Dianne van Giersbergen are decent Nightwish style albums, but generally they are B tier.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #1346 on: April 26, 2023, 05:42:18 AM »

Tommy's wife is the singer from Kobra and the Lotus, who I'm not sure are even a thing anymore?  I haven't heard of anything about them in years. I'm not familiar with Xandria although I get the feeling they are similar to Delain / Ad Infinitum?  I was really hoping Ad Infinitum would be on their tour.

My understanding is that their second album bombed, and the tour didn't do as hot. The band was angry at the state of the music industry and effectively broke up since no one was listening anyway. This was from an interview several years ago that I'm too lazy to go track down.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1347 on: April 26, 2023, 11:50:55 AM »
I largely enjoy Xandria - regardless of who's on the mic.  Their release this year is better than anything Nightwish has done in the last 6 years.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online geeeemo

« Reply #1348 on: April 26, 2023, 11:56:22 AM »
I really like Kamelot, but I don't listen to them as much as some other bands, as their music can be samey. That said, I saw them once in 2019, and have been waiting for this tour announcement. Their show is fantastic and couldn't wait to take my son to see. Alas, they are the next weekend after my son and I travel to LA to see Metallica. A long concert weekend.  I doubt I can get him to travel again the next weekend. The tickets were cheap though, so I bought 2 and am waiting for the right moment and bribe to see if I can get him to go. Otherwise, Ill probably go alone.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1349 on: April 26, 2023, 01:47:49 PM »
I largely enjoy Xandria - regardless of who's on the mic.  Their release this year is better than anything Nightwish has done in the last 6 years.

I'll have to check them out.  Looks like tickets are just under $50 fees included for NYC. I plan on being there.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1350 on: January 16, 2024, 12:08:15 PM »

Kamelot Nation!

We are happy to announce the North American Awaken The World Tour 2024!
Featuring Support from HammerFall and Ad Infinitum 🤘
Beginning April 25 in Baltimore, MD | Tickets On Sale Friday, January 19

Limited VIP upgrades at www.kamelot.com/vip2024
KAMELOT: Awaken The World Tour 2024 North American tour dates:
** = Featuring Seven Spires, No Hammerfall
4.25.24 – Baltimore, MD – Rams Head **
4.26.24 – Huntington, NY – Paramount **
4.27.24 – Boston, MA – Big Night Live **
4.28.24 – Quebec City, QC – Theatre Capitole **
4.30.24 – Harrisburg, PA – HMAC
5.1.24 – Montclair, NJ – Wellmont Theatre
5.3.24 – Columbus, OH – The Bluestone
5.4.24 – St. Louis, MO – Delmar Hall
5.6.24 – Fort Worth, TX – Tannahill’s
5.7.24 – San Antonio, TX – Vibes Event Center
5.9.24 – Albuquerque, NM – El Rey Theater
5.10.24 – Tucson, AZ – Encore
5.11.24 – Anaheim, CA – City National Grove
5.12.24 – Las Vegas, NV – House of Blues
5.14.24 – Denver, CO – The Summit
5.16.24 – St. Paul, MN – Myth
5.17.24 – Milwaukee, WI @ Eagles Ballroom/Milwaukee Metal Fest (no AD INFINITUM)
5.18.24 – Cleveland, OH – House of Blues
5.20.24 – Pittsburgh, PA – Roxian
5.21.24 – Richmond, VA – The National
5.23.24 – Cincinnati, OH – Bogarts
5.24.24 – Atlanta, GA – Heaven @ Masquerade
5.25.24 – Tampa, FL – Jannus Landing

I am so excited that they're actually coming to Albuquerque, I was not expecting that.  :metal :metal :metal
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1351 on: January 16, 2024, 12:17:58 PM »
Solid line up, they've been hinting at this line up and time frame for a bit.  I expect to be at the NJ show.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1352 on: January 16, 2024, 06:07:10 PM »
Hmmm, I may venture to Tampa for the last show of the tour given that it's on a Saturday.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Adami

« Reply #1353 on: January 16, 2024, 07:18:15 PM »

I'll have to check them out.  Looks like tickets are just under $50 fees included for NYC. I plan on being there.

I might go to the NYC one. I don’t know their last album at all but I doubt it’ll matter and I love Ad Infinitum.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1354 on: January 17, 2024, 08:26:18 AM »

I might go to the NYC one. I don’t know their last album at all but I doubt it’ll matter and I love Ad Infinitum.

That comment was for last year's tour, the new tour isn't coming to NYC, although maybe Huntington in long Island is doable for you.  That's too far for me.  I'll be going to the NJ show. Surprisingly, they aren't selling tickets for the entire venue, just the first three rows of the balcony.

Online Adami

« Reply #1355 on: January 17, 2024, 08:58:51 AM »

That comment was for last year's tour, the new tour isn't coming to NYC, although maybe Huntington in long Island is doable for you.  That's too far for me.  I'll be going to the NJ show. Surprisingly, they aren't selling tickets for the entire venue, just the first three rows of the balcony.

Doh!

Yea, the Huntington show is a bit annoying. It's far enough away that it'd take 2-3 hours by train or I'd have to rent a car and then get a hotel overnight, which can cost 300 dollars easy. I'm not sure that's worth it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1356 on: January 18, 2024, 05:29:28 AM »
Unsurprisngly, there's nothing close to me.  Columbus is the 'closest', and I'd guess that's a 4-5 hour drive - nope, Google confirms it's over 5.5 hours.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1357 on: January 18, 2024, 08:13:24 AM »
Unsurprisngly, there's nothing close to me.  Columbus is the 'closest', and I'd guess that's a 4-5 hour drive - nope, Google confirms it's over 5.5 hours.

Yeah, labelling the tour as NA with only one Canada date is kind of lame, but sadly a standard in the industry.  Sucks.

I was hoping they'd play Starland Ballroom instead of the Wellmont in NJ.  In fact, both Tommy and Thomas liked my facebook response saying to play Starland  :lol back when they hinted this tour was coming to NJ.  Oh well, I certainly don't have much to complain about as that's a 45 minute drive for me and definitely doable straight from work on a Wednesday.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1358 on: January 18, 2024, 08:37:12 AM »

Yeah, labelling the tour as NA with only one Canada date is kind of lame, but sadly a standard in the industry.  Sucks.

If Germany, the Netherlands and either one out of Paris or Milan can mean "an Europan tour", some US states and one town in Canada can mean as well "North America"  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1359 on: January 18, 2024, 08:44:59 AM »
I would love to see Ad Infinitum, but they are skipping IL. So many tours just skip Chicago and I just don't get it. Rock and Metal is huge here and so many tours just bypass us. It's annoying.

I literally know nothing of Kamelot, except that it's where King Arthur was from.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1360 on: January 18, 2024, 08:56:53 AM »
I literally know nothing of Kamelot, except that it's where Cing Arthur was from.

Fixed for a joke on the band's name  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1361 on: January 18, 2024, 08:57:51 AM »
I would love to see Ad Infinitum, but they are skipping IL. So many tours just skip Chicago and I just don't get it. Rock and Metal is huge here and so many tours just bypass us. It's annoying.

I literally know nothing of Kamelot, except that it's where King Arthur was from.

Kamelot played Chicago on the first leg of the tour last summer.  They were very specific in socials saying this 2nd leg would go places the first leg didn't.  Hence them playing NJ and Long Island, but not NYC this time around. Sucks if you'd rather see Hammerfall/Ad Infinitum vs. Battle Beast/Xandria though.  Personally, Battle Beast and Ad Infinitum would be the best trifecta. 

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1362 on: March 11, 2024, 08:24:58 AM »
Just booked tickets for London in November.  Supported by Ad Infinitum, Blackbriar & Frozen Crown.  I love Ad Infinitum and Frozen Crown are decent too, need to check out Blackbriar though.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1363 on: March 11, 2024, 08:30:29 AM »
Just booked tickets for London in November.  Supported by Ad Infinitum, Blackbriar & Frozen Crown.  I love Ad Infinitum and Frozen Crown are decent too, need to check out Blackbriar though.

Blackbriar is opening for Battle Beast when they come here soon, I need to check them out as well.  Frozen Crown is coming here for ProgPower.  They are OK from listening to their two latest albums.  I do enjoy Ad Infinitum.  I wish they were the second slot here not third to get more of them instead of Hammerfall. Overall, all seem like cool support bands for Kamelot though.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1364 on: March 11, 2024, 08:41:14 AM »

Blackbriar is opening for Battle Beast when they come here soon, I need to check them out as well.  Frozen Crown is coming here for ProgPower.  They are OK from listening to their two latest albums.  I do enjoy Ad Infinitum.  I wish they were the second slot here not third to get more of them instead of Hammerfall. Overall, all seem like cool support bands for Kamelot though.

I expect Melissa will join Kamelot on stage too and as both Frozen Crown and Balckbriar are also both female fronted maybe they'll join em too?