Author Topic: Kamelot  (Read 156369 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kamelot
« Reply #1295 on: January 13, 2023, 04:21:26 AM »
Yeah, I shut that off after the chorus.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1296 on: January 13, 2023, 05:20:49 AM »
I hoped the big pause (it's been five years after all) between albums would lead to something way more exciting that this. It's amazing how they managed to find such a good replacement for Roy, start off strong with two very good albums and then started to release these kind of songs.

I'll still check out the album just in case, but my expectations are extremely low after this single.

I think this sums up my thoughts after one listen.  Good, but not wow'd by any stretch.  That that's the perfect recipe for me to 'pass' if the whole album ends up sounding this way.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1297 on: January 13, 2023, 07:53:48 AM »
Wow, getting harsh in here.  :)

:lol yeah, the song isn't THAT bad. I actually enjoyed it, it's just not a "wow" type of track.

I love this band - I discovered them with The Fourth Legacy when that album came out in 1999 and have followed them since.  The Black Halo knocked my socks off, as did the live DVD from that tour.  I've found songs to enjoy on each of the albums with Tommy have been impressed that they've gotten bigger as a band since he joined, given that they lost such a loved singer in Roy.  I respect that they play a lot of new material live, and really like the live DVD with him as well.  So it's not like I'm always down on this band.

But like Adami said, they're just in this rut of dystopian themed records and the music has been interchangeable from Haven to Shadow Theory, to this new song.  Almost all of the videos from those albums look the same.  I'm hoping the new album features better songs and they eventually move on to ditch this theme.  At first glance with this new song and video, it's just more of the same, and it wouldn't have been my choice for a lead single after so much time away.  Some will like it, some won't.  I fall in the latter category for now.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1298 on: February 14, 2023, 08:37:52 AM »
New song

KAMELOT - Opus Of The Night (Ghost Requiem) feat. Tina Guo (Official Lyric Video)

First listen and enjoyed it, has a Ghost Opera vibe

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1299 on: February 14, 2023, 08:39:46 AM »
That sounds a lot like Ghost Opera and is, sadly, the most Kamelot by numbers song I've heard from them yet. Nothing new, but nothing bad at all. It's the kind of song that if it came on, I wouldn't actively turn it off, but I'd probably drift off a bit since nothing is very captivating or interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1300 on: February 14, 2023, 09:05:44 AM »
My latest posts about new Kamelot weren't very positive but surprisingly I actually enjoyed it quite a bit. Yeah, almost nothing new (although I didn't expect the cello and the ending), but as far as I'm concerned, this is a huge step up from the first single. I'd say I like this more than almost anything on The Shadow Theory too.

All that being said, I still wish they tried to tread some new ground or at least shifted their songwriting from the dark dystopian/gothic theme.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1301 on: February 14, 2023, 12:21:50 PM »
Kamelot is the only band that I've stopped listening to when they changed their singer. Even though Tommy is phenomenal, something about him I just can't connect with and enjoy and he's also the only singer in that category for me.

As for the band, I think the main reason I can't get into them anymore is that they've basically stayed the same ever since The Black Halo, and even then they were kind of starting to become samey. Given that, I somehow still expect to hear Roy's voice for some reason and when I don't - Tommy just sounds like a "cheap" imitator. even though he's not. /rant

That new song has a few melodies that sound almost exactly like something I've heard from Kamelot. The first line of the chorus, the backing choir chants, etc.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1302 on: February 14, 2023, 01:08:00 PM »
I agree with a lot that has been said. Kamelot is quite samey - to me especially the new Kamelot. But some songs I Really enjoy. This new one is quite enjoyable, and when I listened to that and OMFitG together, they were both great! I like the big, heavy sound of Kamelot, but ya, a little change up here and there would even better. I am hoping they bring their tour to the States as I have seen them only one time, and it was a fantastic show.
As for Roy and Tommy. Tommy is a great replacement and has a wonderful voice. Nothing can ever beat Roy though - he's a vocal god.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1303 on: February 14, 2023, 02:08:53 PM »
I agree with a lot that has been said. Kamelot is quite samey - to me especially the new Kamelot. But some songs I Really enjoy. This new one is quite enjoyable, and when I listened to that and OMFitG together, they were both great! I like the big, heavy sound of Kamelot, but ya, a little change up here and there would even better. I am hoping they bring their tour to the States as I have seen them only one time, and it was a fantastic show.
As for Roy and Tommy. Tommy is a great replacement and has a wonderful voice. Nothing can ever beat Roy though - he's a vocal god.

Basically I agree wtih this.  It's samey but the new song is pretty good.  And they will definitely be touring the US in the fall.

They recently played on the 70,000 tons of Metal cruise and had Melissa Bonny (of Ad Infinitum) and Clementine Delauney (of Visions of Atlantis) as guest singers.  Kamelot and those two bands are all playing ProgPower in Atlanta in September so I am pretty much expecting those to join on stage there as well.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #1304 on: February 14, 2023, 02:19:37 PM »

Basically I agree wtih this.  It's samey but the new song is pretty good.  And they will definitely be touring the US in the fall.

They recently played on the 70,000 tons of Metal cruise and had Melissa Bonny (of Ad Infinitum) and Clementine Delauney (of Visions of Atlantis) as guest singers.  Kamelot and those two bands are all playing ProgPower in Atlanta in September so I am pretty much expecting those to join on stage there as well.

I wonder if DT now is going to come to the US in the fall - hopefully no conflicts. My 2 must sees..

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1305 on: February 14, 2023, 02:22:57 PM »
Yeah, I'm starting to think DT will be hitting the US in the fall some time.  Since they mentioned a 2023 tour and so far haven't announced, it seems late summer may be the earliest, but given their history, a fall tour seems to be what they like. 

Personally, I'd love to see DT get onto a big summer tour bill playing the amphitheaters, even if as an opener, to get some exposure to the younger metal heads out there.  To tie that in, I actually would love to see Kamelot do the same.  I'm sure record labels probably play a role, but some of my favorite bands just seem so tied into doing the same thing over and over again.  Like how many times have Kamelot toured with Delain (who are also playing Progpower)?  How many times has DT played the exact same venue for an evening with format?  Maybe this is all because I go to too many concerts.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1306 on: February 14, 2023, 02:51:10 PM »
First single sucked, but this new song is very good in my opinion. It is varied, lively and does everything I love about Kamelot well.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1307 on: February 14, 2023, 03:14:00 PM »
First single sucked, but this new song is very good in my opinion. It is varied, lively and does everything I love about Kamelot well.

:tup

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1308 on: February 14, 2023, 03:31:46 PM »
A lot of people seem to think it's a sequel to Ghost Opera, which would explain the similar vibes. I haven't had a good enough listen yet, but I could hear the similarities.

Now to figure out what Veil of Elysium is a sequel to.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1309 on: March 15, 2023, 09:31:00 AM »
New song:

Kamelot - Eventide

Now that was Kamelot by numbers.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1310 on: March 15, 2023, 09:43:32 AM »
Isn't Kamelot by numbers redundant?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #1311 on: March 15, 2023, 09:49:09 AM »
Yup. Every single thus far as felt, to me at least, like Kamelot by the numbers.

Looks like I probably won't be buying this album as of now. Ah well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1312 on: March 15, 2023, 01:18:05 PM »
Yeah, this one maybe the most sounds like "Kamelot by the numbers"

I actually may have enjoyed it the most too  :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #1313 on: March 15, 2023, 03:04:03 PM »
Yeah, this one maybe the most sounds like "Kamelot by the numbers"

I actually may have enjoyed it the most too  :lol

:tup

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1314 on: March 16, 2023, 09:02:25 AM »
I do think the 3 Tommy albums have got progressively weaker (although only a small drop off between each) so it would be nice for this one to be an uptick.  I also think the 3 Tommy albums are better than the last two Roy albums.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1315 on: March 17, 2023, 02:59:42 AM »
So I listened to the first 8 tracks on the way to work this work, well it's definitely a Kamelot album.  It's way to early to form any opinion....but 'The Great Divide' and 'Bloodmoon' instantly sounded good with the ballad 'Midsummer's Eve' maybe a little to twee (even for Kamelot).

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1316 on: March 17, 2023, 12:26:18 PM »
I'm on my first real listen and for me, the album starts off as more of the same.  But I'm now enjoying One More Flag in the Ground more and then the middle of the album really kicks ass (Bloodmoon, NightSky, The Looking Glass).  Heavy riffing, up-tempo and also some orchestration that feels like more of the classic Kamelot feel over it. 

I really like those three songs so far.  Hoping that the trend continues over the last 4 songs now.

Edit - I think Tommy's vocal melodies are what give me this feeling of more of the same.  Musically, this is much more what I want to hear from the band.  This could possibly be my favorite of the albums that Tommy is on.  We'll see if the newness wears off some after repeated listens.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 12:43:33 PM by Grappler »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1317 on: March 17, 2023, 01:04:42 PM »
I had a listen and enjoyed it. It's Kamelot but it's still good to me.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1318 on: March 17, 2023, 01:41:34 PM »

Agreed.  But I just find more and more often, as bands get into their 8th, 9th, 10th + releases, if they aren't doing something new and/or fresh, I just keep finding myself thinking "Why am I not just listening to <insert earlier album name(s) here>?"

Which is exactly what I'm thinking right now.  I'll give it one more spin in the coming weeks, but if it's the same reaction, I'll save a couple of the most enjoyable songs in my 'best-of 2023' playlist, and be done with it.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #1319 on: March 17, 2023, 01:42:52 PM »

Agreed.  But I just find more and more often, as bands get into their 8th, 9th, 10th + releases, if they aren't doing something new and/or fresh, I just keep finding myself thinking "Why am I not just listening to <insert earlier album name(s) here>?"

That's where I'm at. I won't begrudge a band for doing what they already know works. But if their new release sounds just like older releases and doesn't bring much new to the table, it's just not worth my money.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1320 on: March 17, 2023, 01:46:26 PM »
Yeah, I don't fault someone from losing interest.  But I still enjoy it enough to give it it's fair share over something else.  There's always something else, but there isn't always Tommy's vocals.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1321 on: March 17, 2023, 02:51:57 PM »
I have not listened to Kamelot since Roy left the band. Where should I start with the new singer?
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1322 on: March 17, 2023, 03:22:20 PM »
I have not listened to Kamelot since Roy left the band. Where should I start with the new singer?

With Seventh Wonder.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1323 on: March 18, 2023, 03:44:05 AM »
I like the album, it is better than The Shadow Theory. Interestingly there is something about the instrumental side of this album that appeals to me more than Tommy's vocals, it is usually the other way around. I can hear some earlier Kamelot elements. In combination with the overall nu-Kamelot sound it works well, and it makes some songs stand out more than on Shadow Theory.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #1324 on: March 18, 2023, 08:32:31 AM »
I like this album way more than the Shadow Theory. Tommy sounds good, and I at least wasn't bored. In no way will it win my best of 2023, but it was good.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1325 on: March 19, 2023, 06:02:28 PM »

Don't bother.

I will check this new album out though with interest.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1326 on: March 20, 2023, 01:40:20 AM »

Silverthorn. And if you love it/like it, probably the latest afterwards.

The band did very well during the Tommy period (prior to covid). Based on the bigger shows with mostly Tommy era songs, there are clearly a lot of people like me that love it. So who knows in which category you fall. I do agree that their output has been similar during this era. But honestly most artists I listen to from the 90s that are still releasing now kinda do that.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #1327 on: March 20, 2023, 05:08:57 AM »
I'm not sure this is much of a upgrade on The Shadow Theory.  I feel like Haven, The Shadow Theory and this one pretty much stick to the same formula - and each album has roughly half of the songs being great/good and the remaining ones being mediocre/forgettable.  I still like these albums, enough good material to enjoy - and personally I'd put them over the first 3 albums and Poetry For The Poison and on a par The Fourth Legacy and Ghost Opera. 

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1328 on: March 23, 2023, 02:08:03 PM »
I'm not sure this is much of a upgrade on The Shadow Theory.  I feel like Haven, The Shadow Theory and this one pretty much stick to the same formula - and each album has roughly half of the songs being great/good and the remaining ones being mediocre/forgettable.  I still like these albums, enough good material to enjoy - and personally I'd put them over the first 3 albums and Poetry For The Poison and on a par The Fourth Legacy and Ghost Opera.

Yeah that's kind of how I feel.  It's still better than early Kamelot and a few of the lesser albums, definitely better than Poetry for me.  Might be on par with Ghost Opera and honestly may sound closer to that album than The Shadow Theory.

Also, this album gets better as it goes.  I think Pantheon may be the best song.  Very powerful and Tommy sounds great there.  Also The Looking Glass is another great Tommy song.  He just sounds so good on these two tracks. 

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #1329 on: March 25, 2023, 12:56:28 PM »
Just had a listen to Silverthorn....is it just me or did the band purposely seek out someone who was similar to Roy Khan?
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.