Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 559622 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3990 on: July 05, 2019, 08:36:07 AM »
Shipping for 4 items for me (2 of which were multi-disk sets) was just over $8.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3991 on: July 05, 2019, 01:27:03 PM »
Good prices but buying a cd for 0.99$ and then paying 25$ for shipping isn't really that cheap anymore.

Yes, I asked someone in the inner work of Radiant and told me that their system only calculates the shipping charge with USPS Priority Mail which is EXPENSIVE. Sadly they don't have  another option.

Yesterday I put 20 items on the cart, for a total of $59 USD and then shipping to Lima came out $198 USD no frigging way! Shipping to Miami $68 USD, and then my friend told me to let Amy Pippin know that he will pick up the package at Morsefest.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3992 on: July 05, 2019, 04:57:41 PM »
Shipping CDs overseas has become cost-prohibitive overall because of USPS postage increases in the last few years, which sucks. I sell CDs from my collection and it' about $8.50 to ship 1 CD via first class. You want registered mail? Pound sand and add $15 bucks. I don't blame Radiant for using USPS Priority on this one though. If you sent CDs via first class, it's a toin coss if the recipient will receive it in certain countries...

Offline 425

« Reply #3993 on: July 05, 2019, 05:23:46 PM »
Man, those are some neat prices. I seem to remember there were some issues with Radiant Records shipping though?

Anyway, I ordered 6 CDs (I own nothing from Neal except some Transatlantic) which totaled up to $17 and then the shipping costs were additional $25. :lol I still placed an order, it's still a better deal than our local record store. We'll see how it goes.

Awesome, glad to hear you're getting some Neal stuff!  :)

I'm going to grab some of the live albums that I didn't have, both from Neal/NMB and Transatlantic. The shipping cost ($17 on a $24 order) is very silly, especially for how long I expect this to realistically take, but even factoring that in the prices are so very low that it still makes sense.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3994 on: July 06, 2019, 06:33:06 AM »
If one is going to Morsefest, the smart move is to wait and see what they have this year. I snagged the KaLIVEoscope DVD set for like $5 last year and didn't have to pay for shipping, and I am sure there will be more killer deals this year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3995 on: July 14, 2019, 12:52:27 PM »
After a handful of listens, I can say that a) the Exorcist album is quite good, and b) it won't ever be a record that I listen to a lot.  I almost always prefer Neal's post-SB music when the spiritual nature is not so overt, and this album just lays it on way too thick for me in general, which of course makes sense since it is called Jesus Christ the Exorcist. :lol :lol

Offline DTA

« Reply #3996 on: July 14, 2019, 03:54:42 PM »
After a handful of listens, I can say that a) the Exorcist album is quite good, and b) it won't ever be a record that I listen to a lot.  I almost always prefer Neal's post-SB music when the spiritual nature is not so overt, and this album just lays it on way too thick for me in general, which of course makes sense since it is called Jesus Christ the Exorcist. :lol :lol

It is certainly good, but my feelings are kind of mixed. There's some cool ideas but I'll just never get into the "musical" aspect of it. And this type of female vocal annoys me to no end. Why can't prog bands ever have female vocalists that don't sound over-dramatic and cheesy? I've listened about 8 times through, absorbed what I think is the essence of it, and probably won't return to it with any regularity from here on out. I'd rank it lower than any of his solo albums, but it's not bad.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3997 on: July 14, 2019, 08:34:16 PM »
I feel sort of bad to pick on Talon David, but Free at Last is very over the top vocally.  It seemed like the demo was a different take (I could be wrong, but it feels that way) and better.  Don't get me wrong, if I could sing like her, I'd want to show it off, too, but there are times where she gets so up there in the stratosphere that it occasionally comes at the cost of the melody.  But, in all fairness, she is pretty great on the rest of the album when she sings.  :tup :tup

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3998 on: July 15, 2019, 12:33:01 AM »
Yeah I'm having a hard time with this album, but that was expected given the theme/lyrics (I'm not a religious guy at all), and the fact that it's a musical doesn't do much for me either.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3999 on: July 24, 2019, 10:50:33 AM »
NM posted:

This last section of JCTE is definitely among my favorites. It contains one of the most moving moments in the show which is when Jesus reveals he is alive to Mary by simply saying her name. Twice. It’s so simple and so beautiful. I think Talon David and Ted Leonard were made to sing these roles and to sing "The Greatest Love Of All" particularly! I hope you all enjoy watching and listening to this as much as we enjoyed performing it!

Watch the full video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPGRjNCmLLU

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4000 on: July 24, 2019, 06:40:15 PM »
We? Wait, are you in the video and on the album? Where??

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4001 on: July 24, 2019, 08:22:57 PM »

What?!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4002 on: July 24, 2019, 09:58:47 PM »

He’s quoting Neal LOL.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4003 on: July 25, 2019, 09:44:08 AM »
Oops. Major brain cramp there. :facepalm: :facepalm: :lol :lol

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4004 on: July 25, 2019, 02:57:45 PM »
Great video. I think I'll appreciate that album more once I see the live recording.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4005 on: July 25, 2019, 03:02:50 PM »
Great video. I think I'll appreciate that album more once I see the live recording.

Probably for early next year the release of the live recording

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4006 on: July 25, 2019, 03:13:44 PM »
Still loving this album to death (JCTE). Cannot wait for the live version!  Every time I listen to this album alone (well I only listen to NM alone lol, but like in the car as opposed to while I'm working) I tear up during a couple different parts.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4007 on: July 25, 2019, 06:33:03 PM »
I've been listening to it quite a bit this week.  It's good stuff.

And for those of you who didn't see it at Morsefest, but are now enjoying the studio version, the Love Has Called My Name reprise at the end was bananas. They finished it as is, and then busted back into that huge sing-along chorus and had the whole crowd singing along.  That was one of those live moments that anyone there will never forget.  Amazing.

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4008 on: July 25, 2019, 07:57:56 PM »
I've been listening to it quite a bit this week.  It's good stuff.

And for those of you who didn't see it at Morsefest, but are now enjoying the studio version, the Love Has Called My Name reprise at the end was bananas. They finished it as is, and then busted back into that huge sing-along chorus and had the whole crowd singing along.  That was one of those live moments that anyone there will never forget.  Amazing.

:facepalm: I have a very bad/selective memory.  I don't remember that but I don't doubt it in the least.  I really can't wait to get the dvd/Blu-ray though.  It was the first concert I took my daughter to.  They filmed us a bit while we were waiting in line (maybe we'll show up on the "making of") and we were right by the aisle when Mary (Talon) walked down the aisle singing the "Mary at the Tomb" part so we'll be on video there too.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4009 on: July 26, 2019, 11:43:43 AM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4010 on: July 29, 2019, 02:22:14 PM »
OK, so I ordered some things during the Radiant fire sale on July 5th, as I know some of you guys did as well.

Am I alone in not yet receiving my order?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4011 on: July 29, 2019, 03:25:08 PM »
received an email a couple days back that they had printed the mailing label for mine and I should expect it today.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4012 on: July 29, 2019, 04:27:01 PM »
OK, so I ordered some things during the Radiant fire sale on July 5th, as I know some of you guys did as well.

I got mine about a week ago. I live in the Northeast US

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4013 on: July 29, 2019, 04:40:07 PM »

I have seen a couple of post at the FB forum from people showing their orders as they just arrived.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4014 on: July 29, 2019, 09:58:11 PM »
received an email a couple days back that they had printed the mailing label for mine and I should expect it today.

got it today
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4015 on: July 29, 2019, 10:23:45 PM »

Haven't heard from them at all yet.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4016 on: July 30, 2019, 08:10:58 AM »
Same. It's Radiant.  I was not expecting it to be processed quickly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4017 on: July 30, 2019, 03:22:41 PM »
Same. It's Radiant.  I was not expecting it to be processed quickly.
Me neither, but this seemed excessive.

Having said that, I finally received my email.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4018 on: July 31, 2019, 10:55:07 AM »
Dang, I was wondering about the order, had forgotten I made it back on July 5th. I get an email today with the tracking number and should be getting my stuff soon.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4019 on: July 31, 2019, 10:59:53 AM »
Yeah, I just got my email earlier this week as well.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4020 on: July 31, 2019, 11:12:31 AM »
If it's that bad for US, I'm expecting my email in three weeks from today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4021 on: August 01, 2019, 09:33:45 AM »
Got my order yesterday (Jesus Christ - the Exorcist, Songs from the Road, Songs from November, and Morsefest 2015 br).

Listening to JCTE for the first time.  In many ways, it is standard Neal Morse.  In other ways, it is anything but.  This album DEFINITELY follows the broadway musical format, and it is cheesily fantastic in that regard.  The singers mostly knock it out of the park, especially Talon David and Rick Florian.  Both of them...just...   :o  I do find myself wanting more Neal up front though.  But, MAN, this is a fantastic retelling of the story with few major liberties taken, and I love it!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 12:14:32 PM by bosk1 »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4022 on: August 01, 2019, 02:15:36 PM »
I got my order, and one of the items is wrong.  I ordered the Kaleidoscope 3-disc digipack.  However, I received the single disc jewel case version.

I'm not sure whether it is worth the hassle to contact them about it, especially since I only paid $3.99 for the CD. 

Anyone ever had to deal with Neal's customer service before?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4023 on: August 01, 2019, 03:06:40 PM »
I got my order, and one of the items is wrong.  I ordered the Kaleidoscope 3-disc digipack.  However, I received the single disc jewel case version.

I'm not sure whether it is worth the hassle to contact them about it, especially since I only paid $3.99 for the CD. 

Contact them, it will be worth the hassle

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4024 on: August 01, 2019, 08:00:34 PM »

The good news is that they will probably send you the correct one and tell you to keep the one you were sent by mistake.

The bad news is that it will probably take till next January for you to get it.

Listening to JCTE for the first time.  In many ways, it is standard Neal Morse.  In other ways, it is anything but.  This album DEFINITELY follows the broadway musical format, and it is cheesily fantastic in that regard.  The singers mostly knock it out of the park, especially Talon David and Rick Florian.  Both of them...just...   :o  I do find myself wanting more Neal up front though.  But, MAN, this is a fantastic retelling of the story with few major liberties taken, and I love it!

Yep, it is good stuff.

My brother and I were watching one of the new videos the other day on TV, and right when the lyric, "You can feel him coming," was being sung by the choir, my 14-year old nephew walked in the room and said, "Let me guess, they're talking about Jesus?" :lol :lol :lol