Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 547006 times)

gmillerdrake and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #3885 on: March 26, 2019, 10:25:04 AM »
OFFICIAL VIDEO - THE GREAT DESPAIR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viNCPH6OR10

:metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3886 on: March 26, 2019, 05:45:38 PM »
Really good job with the video, but making it a single edit to where Eric's entire guitar solo at the end is cut out? Ouch.

Offline 425

« Reply #3887 on: March 26, 2019, 08:34:52 PM »
Anyway, I think it's truly a grandiose album. A few more months may be needed to determine if I even like it better than the Similitude. But I think I do. More cohesive. Amazing album.

Yeah, I have to say, after several weeks with it, I think I'm in the Bosk camp on this one. I think it's greater than Similtude and a very strong contender for the best Neal Morse/NMB album.

The second disc in particular is fantastic. The run from Vanity Fair to the end is simply spectacular.

(To be fair, I never was quite on board with the level of enthusiasm that Similitude received. I find it strong, certainly in the top third or so of Neal's discography, but I think it has some less-than-excellent passages as well. The popular opinion of TSOAD is my opinion of TGA).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #3888 on: March 28, 2019, 04:26:47 AM »
I went to the Tilburg show last tuesday.
What an amazing show, again.
This was the 3rd time I saw this line-up.
They never dissapoint.

I cried my eyes out during A Love That Never Dies.
I'm dealing with some struggles in life right now and this song gave me some light I needed.
So beautiful...

And the encore... that medley was insane :hefdaddy haha!

Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #3889 on: March 28, 2019, 04:57:58 AM »
After finally having listened several times to The Great Adventure, I can say I really like it a lot, it's a great record, but I like Similitude just a little bit more, it's more diverse.

And my favorite is still "?", but I'm glad that after a couple of records I didn't find that good, that he (they) are delivering really good music again.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #3890 on: March 28, 2019, 08:31:57 AM »
I went to the Tilburg show last tuesday.
What an amazing show, again.
This was the 3rd time I saw this line-up.
They never dissapoint.

I cried my eyes out during A Love That Never Dies.
I'm dealing with some struggles in life right now and this song gave me some light I needed.
So beautiful...

And the encore... that medley was insane :hefdaddy haha!

Yeah, the encore was really well done. 

Did they film that show?  I seem to remember either Mike or Neal saying they would like to film somewhere else in the future, but I don't recall whether they were saying they wouldn't film there this tour.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dreamdrummer

« Reply #3891 on: March 29, 2019, 05:09:51 AM »
Well, I definitely saw some camera's, now that you mention it!

Both left and right on stage and 2 camera's at front of house. (manned)

So who knows...  ;D
Drums - Music - Faith - Hope - Love - Tattoos - Learning To Live

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3892 on: April 07, 2019, 08:20:14 AM »
Mike Portnoy wrote on his FB:

“Super cool venue here in Brno, Czech Republic!! We also have a film crew here tonight to film for a possible Live Blu-ray release as well 😎”

:metal

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3893 on: April 07, 2019, 09:03:05 AM »
Nice!  I would like to get a blu-ray of this show outside of Morsefest. On the previous Similitude tour, I liked the Tilburg show miles better than the Morsefest release.  This is great news to me!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3894 on: April 07, 2019, 09:07:22 AM »
I was considering going to this gig, but being that I have another trip next weekend, two crazy weekends in a row would be a bit much.  :lol

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3895 on: April 07, 2019, 03:01:31 PM »
So I'll me at the M&G on Tuesday to meet the guys (on my birthday, yey!!). Obviously, I'll bring some vinyls to sign. Will Mike have any problems with signing my Metropolis Pt. 2 record? What do you guys think?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline faizoff

« Reply #3896 on: April 07, 2019, 03:18:38 PM »
So I'll me at the M&G on Tuesday to meet the guys (on my birthday, yey!!). Obviously, I'll bring some vinyls to sign. Will Mike have any problems with signing my Metropolis Pt. 2 record? What do you guys think?
I went to the M&G in Orlando and had him sign my SFAM & IAW CD booklets. He seemed to be ok for that.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3897 on: April 07, 2019, 03:19:13 PM »

He’d only have a problem if you bring your D/T record to sign :lol
Seriously, tho, any MP era DT is fair game for the signing.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3898 on: April 08, 2019, 03:03:59 AM »
Thanks guys!!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3900 on: April 11, 2019, 12:43:51 PM »
The Neal Morse Band concert on Tuesday was absolutely mind-blowing. The M&G was short but awesome. The guys were very nice and signed everything we brought :) I now have all NMB albums singed by everyone!!

Plus, MP loved the shirts we had made for him and even remembered the last time we did that!

This was on Tuesday:

And this one was 4 years ago:

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3901 on: April 11, 2019, 12:53:47 PM »
Awesome man! I am glad you had a great time

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3902 on: April 13, 2019, 04:35:46 AM »
I finally gave in and purchased SOAD and TGA to finally listen to the much-praised NMB. I usually listen to concept albums in the evening so that I can listen nonstop, without work and family duties to intervene. It's been a week and I really fall asleep before I finish any of the two albums. The music is good, but it just doesn't resonate with me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3903 on: April 13, 2019, 07:48:00 AM »
I finally gave in and purchased SOAD and TGA to finally listen to the much-praised NMB. I usually listen to concept albums in the evening so that I can listen nonstop, without work and family duties to intervene. It's been a week and I really fall asleep before I finish any of the two albums. The music is good, but it just doesn't resonate with me.

You're listening to both right off the bat?  Yowza, I can't imagine trying to get into two double albums at once.  Personally, I'd focus on just one for now before moving on to the other.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3904 on: April 13, 2019, 08:03:14 AM »
Yeah, I alternate them every other night. For now, I am liking SOAD better. The Overture of TGA is just too long for an intro.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3905 on: April 13, 2019, 02:06:24 PM »
The Overture of TGA is just too long for an intro.

And that's why I skip it every single time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3906 on: April 13, 2019, 02:46:05 PM »
The Overture of TGA is just too long for an intro.

And that's why I skip it every single time.
Same here, it's just not that interesting. The album really takes off with "Welcome to the World".  I like the second version on disc two almost more..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3907 on: April 15, 2019, 02:02:02 AM »
Finally finished The Great Adventure. I am alone in my faculty office room today so I played it full blast. Music is beautiful. I keep on getting distracted by Eric Gillette, though. He really wears his JP influence on his sleeve, don't you think?

Portnoy's drumming is good, reminds me of his SDOIT work. I did get distracted by some of the fills in Freedom Calling because they are fills he has used many times in the past, but other than that, solid work.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3908 on: April 15, 2019, 08:25:25 AM »
I keep on getting distracted by Eric Gillette, though. He really wears his JP influence on his sleeve, don't you think?

Be careful, I was saying something similar some time ago, and people here didn't like that :lol

Seriously, though, I was listening to TGA yesterday too and, being honest, I was a bit let down and distracted by all the epic JP-ish guitar solo moments throughout the album. I get that Eric is a very different musician than JP, as he's also a great singer, but no one can deny he's pretty much a second JP when it comes to guitar playing. Even MP called him Petrucci Jr. at some point.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3909 on: April 15, 2019, 08:33:14 AM »
I don't see the issue with Eric wearing his JP influence on his sleeve, and it seems weird for a Dream Theater fan to take issue with it, considering they have worn their influences on their sleeves for as long as I can remember.  If it bothers you, then it bothers you, but it just seems odd to me.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3910 on: April 15, 2019, 10:14:53 AM »
I don't see the issue with Eric wearing his JP influence on his sleeve, and it seems weird for a Dream Theater fan to take issue with it, considering they have worn their influences on their sleeves for as long as I can remember.  If it bothers you, then it bothers you, but it just seems odd to me.

I just wish he had more of his own guitar voice. JP is my favorite guitar player of all time, but I don't want all the other guitarists in the genere to sound just like him. For example, I'd say Guthrie Govan is my 2nd favorite after JP, and they sound nothing alike.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3911 on: April 15, 2019, 12:09:58 PM »

I just wish he had more of his own guitar voice. JP is my favorite guitar player of all time, but I don't want all the other guitarists in the genere to sound just like him. For example, I'd say Guthrie Govan is my 2nd favorite after JP, and they sound nothing alike.

I get what you mean, but in the context of NMB's music, it isn't an issue at all for me because Neal plays plenty of guitar as well (both electric and acoustic), so there is a diversity of sounds from the instrument in general in their music between the two.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #3912 on: April 16, 2019, 12:37:28 AM »
Shared TGA to a friend of mine who plays Christian rock. I told him this is Christian prog.  :lol He has been playing the album with gusto.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #3913 on: April 16, 2019, 02:47:36 AM »
Shared TGA to a friend of mine who plays Christian rock. I told him this is Christian prog.  :lol He has been playing the album with gusto.
To me, Similitude and TGA don't come across as Christian rock. It has elements but it is not preachy and doesn't sound like religious music. These two albums are more accessible to the general public and prog rock enthusiasts, unlike alot of Neals other stuff outside of The Neal Morse Band. Its just great music that everyone can enjoy and is not polarizing..  :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3914 on: April 16, 2019, 08:16:02 AM »
To me, Similitude and TGA don't come across as Christian rock. It has elements but it is not preachy and doesn't sound like religious music. These two albums are more accessible to the general public and prog rock enthusiasts, unlike alot of Neals other stuff outside of The Neal Morse Band. Its just great music that everyone can enjoy and is not polarizing..  :tup

Agreed.  It is similar to the first two Transatlantic records in that it is overly spiritual, but not obviously christian, if that makes sense.  The words "God" and "Jesus" are heard far less on the NMB albums than they were on Neal's solo prog albums from Testimony through Testimony 2.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3915 on: April 20, 2019, 07:35:28 AM »
Another song has been released from the forthcoming Exorcist record.  This is the one I thought would have been the first one released. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ1m1h8G3HI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR05dJtfVU3um45MIRDIdhKkkrY8DXjqTfz8yVqwe4-nugjJPakbfPmvcWE

Offline DTA

« Reply #3916 on: May 07, 2019, 07:19:59 AM »
I just heard Kiss’ I Love It Loud for the first time in many years and noticed how much it reminded me of Agenda. Was this intentional or ever mentioned by Neal or the band?

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3917 on: May 07, 2019, 07:38:55 AM »
I just heard Kiss’ I Love It Loud for the first time in many years and noticed how much it reminded me of Agenda. Was this intentional or ever mentioned by Neal or the band?
I don't know, but MP is as big of a Kiss fan as you can go, so it's not far fetched I think (Hell, he played Erotomania wearing one of these hideously ridiculous (but apparently iconic) masks at my first DT concert 19 years ago.)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3918 on: May 07, 2019, 08:34:35 AM »

I find it very hard to believe that Neal Morse would borrow from a band as bad as Kiss.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #3919 on: May 07, 2019, 09:56:41 AM »

I find it very hard to believe that Neal Morse would borrow from a band as bad as Kiss.
that is true though OTOH.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"