Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 545747 times)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4165 on: February 10, 2020, 06:09:50 AM »
Theocracy is an amazing band. They have 4 albums, the last one being 2016's Ghostship. They are rooted in melodic power metal, but I don't want the power metal description to scare you off. They do have straight up PM songs, but there is so much more to their music than that.

They may appeal to Neal Morse fans, as I understand Neal have some Christian overtones to his music. Theocracy definitely shares that.

You may want to check these out..

Ghostship Official video

Easter lyric video

Here's the title track from their second album, Mirror Of Souls. It's an amazing journey.

Mirror Of Souls lyric video

The passage from10:30-12:55 is particularly amazing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4166 on: February 11, 2020, 03:20:46 PM »
Not sure if you guys are aware of Neal's participation in Matt Smith's Project Aegis project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpHmSdVAzKg

I got about halfway through the song the other day and then had to stop it (cannot remember why); I need to get back to it to hear the whole thing.  I did think the song delved a bit too much into power metal once it got going, and that is not usually my thing, but I'll give the song a few spins and see what I think.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4167 on: February 19, 2020, 12:00:28 PM »
I am finishing a soon-to-be-published review of The Great Adventour – Live in BRNO 2019.  A few observations, as a preview:

-The audio is spectacular and perhaps has more punch than the studio recording.  Couple that with the live energy, and I think I might actually prefer the live versions of each and every one of these songs. 
-Just a reminder that I really love the creepy "music box" keyboard effect at the end of Dark Melody that comes up again in I Got To Run.  It reminds me a lot of the opening credits music for the Netflix Daredevil series.
-Even though I prefer TGA to Similtude, Similitude as a bigger, grander, epic-er ending.  Having the Great Medley, and thus the entire show, end with Broken Sky/Long Day Reprise is perfect.  And speaking of this medley, Bill did such a great job putting it together.  I would have preferred something more obscure than Leviathan being the representative track from Lifeline.  But other than that, the medley is a fantastic way to end this show.
-The performance is VERY close to what I got when I saw the tour in S.F., so I am assuming it is very representative of the tour as a whole.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4168 on: February 19, 2020, 12:40:42 PM »
Before I bailed on FB for good, I saw some chatter there about the overlays being prevalent again on the first video they released, as other fans seem to dislike them as much as I do, and I think it was Randy George who said he doesn't like them either, but was outvoted.  It is a shame that they continue to taint their live video releases with that awful feature.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4170 on: February 19, 2020, 03:01:21 PM »
I am finishing a soon-to-be-published review of The Great Adventour – Live in BRNO 2019.  A few observations, as a preview:

-The audio is spectacular and perhaps has more punch than the studio recording.  Couple that with the live energy, and I think I might actually prefer the live versions of each and every one of these songs. 
-Just a reminder that I really love the creepy "music box" keyboard effect at the end of Dark Melody that comes up again in I Got To Run.  It reminds me a lot of the opening credits music for the Netflix Daredevil series.
-Even though I prefer TGA to Similtude, Similitude as a bigger, grander, epic-er ending.  Having the Great Medley, and thus the entire show, end with Broken Sky/Long Day Reprise is perfect.  And speaking of this medley, Bill did such a great job putting it together.  I would have preferred something more obscure than Leviathan being the representative track from Lifeline.  But other than that, the medley is a fantastic way to end this show.
-The performance is VERY close to what I got when I saw the tour in S.F., so I am assuming it is very representative of the tour as a whole.

That's great! I pre-ordered it but may have to cancel as I'll be out of town for a while. I'll have to buy the set once I get back. I wished it was out this earlier.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4171 on: February 19, 2020, 03:54:24 PM »
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=54874.msg2630308#msg2630308

:lol

:lol :lol

Honestly, even though I am sure that Blu-ray will be great, overlays and all, I know I will get the eventual Morsefest release with all of TGA, and I don't need two live renditions of the same album, especially since I don't watch concert videos in general that much anymore, so I will be patient and await the eventual MF one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4172 on: February 19, 2020, 04:02:01 PM »
Yeah, I hear you.  The Morsefest one will probably be better in terms of having more content.  But having seen the tour, I want the BRNO release because it is very close to the experience I had at my show, and I want to be able to revisit that.  That said, even though I am getting more selective about what I buy nowadays and less completist with most bands, I'm still a semi-completist when it comes to Neal/NMB, so I will probably grudgingly buy both.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4173 on: February 19, 2020, 06:09:08 PM »
It would be impossible for me to revisit the experience of our show here, since I was in the first row and dead center for our show here in St Louis.  :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4174 on: February 19, 2020, 10:25:39 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty close to what I had too.  But you know what I mean.  :)

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4175 on: February 19, 2020, 11:06:44 PM »
Yeah  me too..... I was just in front of Neal at my concert. Awesome experience getting so close to Neal.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4176 on: February 19, 2020, 11:11:37 PM »
Yeah, I hear you.  The Morsefest one will probably be better in terms of having more content.  But having seen the tour, I want the BRNO release because it is very close to the experience I had at my show, and I want to be able to revisit that.  That said, even though I am getting more selective about what I buy nowadays and less completist with most bands, I'm still a semi-completist when it comes to Neal/NMB, so I will probably grudgingly buy both.
Going back to Similitude.  I thought that Live in Tilburg was miles better than the Morsefest version. So I will gravitate to the BRNO release and probably pass on Morsefest this time, unless I hear stellar reviews here on this forum.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4177 on: February 20, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty close to what I had too.  But you know what I mean.  :)

:tup :tup

Yeah  me too..... I was just in front of Neal at my concert. Awesome experience getting so close to Neal.

Tell me about it. It sounds like a cliche, but some people are just born to be on stage and entertaining people and Neal Morse is one of those people.  The amount of energy and enthusiasm he had, which was easy to see with being so close to him (literally just feet away at times), was such a joy to witness.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4178 on: February 20, 2020, 06:28:45 PM »
Also, we should be getting close to the announcement of this year's Morsefest, and I am really curious to see what it is.  Transatlantic has long been the rumor, but with word that the album release and subsequent tour isn't likely till maybe the beginning of next year, plus it might be hard to plan for it with the visa issues Roine and Pete might have, it doesn't seem as likely now.  And if it is not TA, what rabbit will Neal pull out of the hat to make this year's special? 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4179 on: February 20, 2020, 08:15:06 PM »
Also, we should be getting close to the announcement of this year's Morsefest, and I am really curious to see what it is.  Transatlantic has long been the rumor, but with word that the album release and subsequent tour isn't likely till maybe the beginning of next year, plus it might be hard to plan for it with the visa issues Roine and Pete might have, it doesn't seem as likely now.  And if it is not TA, what rabbit will Neal pull out of the hat to make this year's special?

My most logical idea might be another Spock's Beard reunion. Neal's been on a big SB nostalgia kick lately with the most recent Inner Circle release, and some never-before-released SB Demos, so maybe he'll do another SB show? I can see them doing two albums in their entirety, along with other songs as 2nd set/Encore pieces. Although given Nick's seemingly busy schedule, I wonder if he'd be available to do it. Same with Jimmy. Maybe he can work around it and get Pattern-Seeking Animals to be the opening band one night, and have Nick do a solo album show the other night? It'd be an easy way to get all of the members there for more than one reason, and P-SA are releasing their 2nd album this year!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4180 on: February 20, 2020, 08:23:25 PM »
I would be surprised to see that, especially since the Voices of the Beard show (night 1 of Morsefest in 2018) had poor attendance, so I am not sure Neal wants to risk doing Spock's both nights and risk a disappointing turn-out.  Sure, the whole Spock's Beard might be more of an allure than just the three singers, but I doubt enough to make a big difference.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4181 on: February 20, 2020, 08:35:46 PM »
I would be surprised to see that, especially since the Voices of the Beard show (night 1 of Morsefest in 2018) had poor attendance, so I am not sure Neal wants to risk doing Spock's both nights and risk a disappointing turn-out.  Sure, the whole Spock's Beard might be more of an allure than just the three singers, but I doubt enough to make a big difference.

Who knows. I think if they/Neal advertises it right, they could have a huge draw, like with Snow Live.

I think we can safely rule out Transatlantic and Flying Colors, and I don't see Neal wanting to perform any of his other albums in full, considering he skipped most of Lifeline, and any full-album performances of Momentum and The Grand Experiment would seem a bit too recent in my mind, especially since the live albums from those tours cover this albums fairly well.

The only out-of-left-field thing I could think of is if Neal has a new album in the works, be it with the NMB or another solo project like The Exorcist. He has said he's been working on something with Mike involved, as Mike tracked his drums for this "secret project" after he finished tracking drums for TA5 last fall, so *something* is in the works!

I wonder how receptive folks might be to yet-another-band/project featuring Mike and Neal. I keep thinking that it'll end up being a third Cover To Cover album with Randy, especially since the NMB haven't had any covers on their albums outside of MacArthur Park, so the trio of Morse Portnoy George haven't released any covers since 2012, so they may be feeling the itch to release some!

Another wild suggestion I have might be another Yellow Matter Custard reunion. It's been nearly a decade since their last performance together, and there is still a lot of Beatles songs they haven't played yet, or perhaps they could do a few albums in their entirety (The White Album live with Mike, Neal, and Paul would be INSANE to see). But I doubt many Neal fans would turn out for what is essentially a Covers Show, even if it does feature the likes of Paul Gilbert.

Beyond those ideas, I am truly stumped. Maybe Neal will take a year off?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4182 on: February 20, 2020, 08:39:51 PM »
I assumed the secret project thing was the Matt Smith song thing, but if Portnoy is a part of it and already did his drums, I am still holding on to a slim hope that the NMB has recorded their 4th album in secret and is ready to release it and tour on it later this year.  Maybe they got the writing itch when out on the road last year and wrote it when touring and it all came together. Dare to dream...;)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4183 on: February 20, 2020, 08:46:18 PM »
I assumed the secret project thing was the Matt Smith song thing, but if Portnoy is a part of it and already did his drums, I am still holding on to a slim hope that the NMB has recorded their 4th album in secret and is ready to release it and tour on it later this year.  Maybe they got the writing itch when out on the road last year and wrote it when touring and it all came together. Dare to dream...;)

I thought it might be NMB4 as well, but why keep it a secret? To not take the spotlight away from Transatlantic? I doubt that could happen, but even so, if it was NMB4, AND a secret, why bother announcing just Mike playing drums on it? Seems a bit funny, especially considering Mike and Neal are already in 3 bands together. I feel like it has to be something new, or it's another MPG Cover To Cover album. I guess we will just have to wait and see...

-Marc.

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #4184 on: February 20, 2020, 09:42:13 PM »
Neal said recently that the "secret project" isn't that big of a big deal and is only special because it has to be secret right now.

I live on the west coast, and I attended the first three Morsefests, but skipped everything after Snow. I would guaranteed attend Yellow Matter Custard (amazing idea, TLM), any Spock's full album reunion, or anything Transatlantic.

I am definitely curious as to what it will be. I don't think it'll be Transatlantic, but we are due any day now for the album announcement. It was 4 months from studio session to album announce for the Whirlwind, and it was 5 months for Kaleidoscope. TA5 studio sessions were in September, so we're at 5 months now. I could see them announcing it and Morsefest at the same time... but based on Roine and Mike's comments recently about touring, I don't think they'll play any shows as early as September, when Morsefest usually occurs.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4185 on: February 21, 2020, 12:34:25 AM »
I listened to some tracks from Life & Times as I walked to work about an hour ago. A nice way to start your Friday.

Good Love Is On The Way / JoAnna / Selfie In The Square  :tup
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #4186 on: February 23, 2020, 04:40:01 AM »
MP tweeted that he has 2 covers projects coming out this summer, so I bet one has to deal with Neal's 'secret project'. 3rd round of covers from Morse/Portnoy/George or covers from TA5 sessions perhaps?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4187 on: February 24, 2020, 08:01:09 AM »
I mean this observationally, and not at all to be critical, but... on what grounds does this kind of thing really need to be "secret"?   I mean, I get contracts and things like that, but we're not talking about Taylor Swift's new record, which has to be underwraps for both pirating and fan security reasons (to prevent long lines at retailers and such, though that's likely a thing of the past now).   Is there really an exclusivity clause somewhere that is going to be offended by a hint that there's a Morse/George/Portnoy Covers 3 project coming?   

Again, not being critical, just shooting the shit out loud.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4188 on: February 25, 2020, 09:59:57 AM »
Typically, record companies ask for secrecy until a certain point in time. As an example, I knew about Ray Alder's solo album as early as May 2018, when I interviewed him and he told me about it off the record. It's all due to marketing, and precaution until everything is finalized and ready to be released.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4189 on: February 27, 2020, 06:19:38 PM »
I listened to some tracks from Life & Times as I walked to work about an hour ago. A nice way to start your Friday.

Good Love Is On The Way / JoAnna / Selfie In The Square  :tup

I like that album. Wouldn't mind another one like it with a tour to follow.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4190 on: March 02, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »
Got my copy of The Great Adventour - Live In BRNO 2019 in today, the 2CD/2BD version. Since I have off work today, I am definitely watching the concert tonight!

-Marc.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #4191 on: March 02, 2020, 02:49:58 PM »
That makes 2 of us. Listening to the CDs now. I'll watch the tour documentary first tonight and hope I have enough time to then watch the concert. Excited to watch!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #4192 on: March 03, 2020, 07:21:23 AM »
I wasn't planning on getting this but since there has been zero announcement of releasing the Morsefest version I'll probably give in.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4193 on: March 03, 2020, 08:24:52 AM »
So I watched the main concert and both of the tour docs last night, and I have to say, it's a really good package. The concert itself was a lot of fun to watch, even with all the overlay graphics the band seems fond of, but they weren't super intrusive. The performance itself is what you'd expect from a Neal Morse Band concert, especially one so late in the tour - they're tight and having fun before the inevitable tour burn-out sets in (which they talk about in the European Tour documentary).

Speaking of the documentaries, there's a funny moment with Mike and his phone. When you watch it, you'll know what I mean. :lol

For less than $30 shipped, getting the live album and over 4 hours of content on the BDs, it's definitely worth it. Also, that encore is well put together! Some of the transitions were so good, I verbally exclaimed "That was REALLY clever!" at some points. The choices of songs in the medley were really good too, and hearing them again has really put me in the mood to listen to Neal's music again (after I finish my Rush binge of course).

Personally speaking, it's a 9/10. If you didn't care much for TGA, of course this live album won't be for, unless you feel like live performances of albums can really change your mind on the material (especially seeing the band play it on stage together). If you liked or loved the album, like me, then you'll definitely want this one! There's a lot of fun and energy shown here, and it can be pretty infectious to the point of grinning while viewing!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #4194 on: March 03, 2020, 09:53:43 AM »
Major tornado damage in the Nashville area early this morning. Hopefully Neal and his family are all ok.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4195 on: March 03, 2020, 10:03:21 AM »
Major tornado damage in the Nashville area early this morning. Hopefully Neal and his family are all ok.
Good golloy,  that's scary!  :omg:
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4196 on: March 03, 2020, 03:59:44 PM »
The concert itself was a lot of fun to watch, even with all the overlay graphics the band seems fond of, but they weren't super intrusive.

-Marc.
That kind of stuff is a buzzkill to me, and too artsy fartsy. I'd much rather have a clear normal view of the band playing at all times.  Even in DT's BTFW there was one song with overlay graphics and I thought that was too much. The last Morsefest dvd was way overkill with the graphics clouding out the band.
 Now I'm on the fence about buying the new release.  I'm sure I'll get it but I'm not as much in a hurry now.  :-\

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4197 on: March 03, 2020, 04:26:35 PM »
The concert itself was a lot of fun to watch, even with all the overlay graphics the band seems fond of, but they weren't super intrusive.

-Marc.
That kind of stuff is a buzzkill to me, and too artsy fartsy. I'd much rather have a clear normal view of the band playing at all times.  Even in DT's BTFW there was one song with overlay graphics and I thought that was too much. The last Morsefest dvd was way overkill with the graphics clouding out the band.
 Now I'm on the fence about buying the new release.  I'm sure I'll get it but I'm not as much in a hurry now.  :-\

Ah, well, from what I remember, the graphics on Live In BRNO were nowhere near as intrusive as any of the Morsefest stuff has been. It seemed fairly tame for the most part, just a few songs here and there. There were a lot of great "action shots" of the band, close-ups of each member during key moments of the performance (solos, vocal harmonies, etc.). It was filmed and edited really well. But definitely read others' reviews first to see if they think the graphics were too much for them. I didn't mind them, personally speaking, but I didn't think there were too many in the first place.

If anything, the documentaries are worth the price alone, especially since we get two that are nearly an hour each! Also included are the music videos from the album (not that they aren't available on YouTube, but it's neat that they included them anyway).

-Marc.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #4198 on: March 03, 2020, 04:32:00 PM »
Cool, thanks for the heads up!  :tup
I'll have to get it soon.  I thought it wasn't to be released until March 6th, did they allready release it?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 01:49:55 AM by Architeuthis »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4199 on: March 03, 2020, 06:23:51 PM »
Cool, thanks for the heads up!  :tup
I'll have to get soon.  I though it wasn't to be released until March 6th, did they allready release it?

My order from Radiant Records shipped last Friday, so it came in the mail yesterday afternoon. The perks of living on the East Coast, not being TOO far from Tennessee!

-Marc.