Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's DRUMEO video series  (Read 19384 times)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
Re: Mike Portnoy Hears "Burn It To The Ground" For The First Time on DRUMEO
« Reply #210 on: January 25, 2024, 10:47:04 AM »
Yes, on 10:20 minutes, I didn't pay attention on it on the first time, my fault!
Well, it will be cool, but also a bit redundant.

Dance of Eternity and the next video will be Instrumedley. I'm a bit disappointed, if there's one thing we don't need more of, it's footage of MP playing these. I guess they didn't dare to pull any MM era songs out.

Maybe I'm wrong, but MP only made a comment about the TDOE parts being played faster live within Instrumedley, but I don't think they announced MP will play Instrumedley next on Drumeo.

They did towards the end of the video. He said he did a video of Instrumedley, and then the video says "Coming Soon".
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy's DRUMEO video series
« Reply #211 on: January 25, 2024, 01:12:35 PM »
Just change the title as we are posting all of his drumeo video here

Offline faizoff

« Reply #212 on: January 25, 2024, 01:59:08 PM »
That was really cool, love all these videos MP's done so far. He's so relaxed when laying it, I imagine it's burned into his brain at this point.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #213 on: January 25, 2024, 02:52:14 PM »
From his Facebook:
The one you’ve been asking for… 😉
Fun fact: You’re not gonna believe this, but this track was NOT on the list of discussed songs/content before I arrived at Drumeo to shoot. Brandon Toews asked me on the spot if I’d be willing to do it, and I said I was willing to give it a try but that I hadn’t played it in YEARS (since the Shattered Fortress tour in 2017). We decided to give it a whirl without me even listening to the track to review it…hit record and this is what came out! “Like riding a bicycle! Well, more like a unicycle…” 😝😎🥁🚴

Anyway, I think it's really impressive!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #214 on: January 25, 2024, 02:57:07 PM »
Well, his comments there certainly raise a dramatic turn of events.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #215 on: January 26, 2024, 12:25:50 AM »
That is incredible. Absolutely incredible. How can you play something of that complexity straight off the bat without having played it for six years?
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #216 on: January 26, 2024, 02:11:50 AM »
Well, I would point out that I go to concerts and remember lyrics from songs I haven't heard in ages, but it's not even the same ballpark  :lol

He's just that gifted. Sure, he wrote the song, he played it on and off from 1999 to 2010, but Petrucci himself said that he'd have to re-learn Octavarium if they wanted to play it again, and Mike pulls off this right off the bat, it's really impressive.

It's gonna be fun when they'll create the setlist for the upcoming tour...

"So Mike, there is this song we'd love to bring back but we don't know if you rememb..."
"Yes"
"Oh and what about this other song that we didn't play since 2010, you wanna rehears..."
"Nah I got it bro"
"So we'd really like to play Breaking All Illusions, you know we don't want to pretend the Mangini era never happened, let me bring out the charts for th...."
"Heard it yesterday while I was bored, guess I'm good for it"

:lol :lol :lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 05:25:29 AM by MirrorMask »
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: January 26, 2024, 05:16:27 AM »
I actually chortled at that :lol
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #218 on: January 26, 2024, 06:41:34 AM »
Well, I would point out that I go to concerts and remember lyrics from songs I haven't heard in ages, but it's not even the same ballpark  :lol

He's just that gifted. Sure, he wrote the song, he played it on and off from 1999 to 2010, but Petrucci himself said that he'd have to re-learn Octavarium if they wanted to play it again, and Mike pulls off this right off the bat, it's really impressive.
It kind of is in the same ballpark for them, though.  With JP's comment about Octavarium, that's a song they only played on one tour cycle, back in 2006, so it makes sense he would need to re-learn it.  But The Dance of Eternity?  As complex as it seems, all of them have played it a thousand times.  It's in their muscle memory.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #219 on: January 26, 2024, 07:18:56 AM »

It kind of is in the same ballpark for them, though.  With JP's comment about Octavarium, that's a song they only played on one tour cycle, back in 2006, so it makes sense he would need to re-learn it.  But The Dance of Eternity?  As complex as it seems, all of them have played it a thousand times.  It's in their muscle memory.
Yeah, I don't want to take away from MP remembering a song he hasn't play in 7 years, but often times the muscle memory comes right back, specially when it is something you have played so many times before. There was a fairly complex piece on the piano I had not play in over 10 years, I got on the piano a few weeks ago it was like I didn't forget a thing (though I was very stiff while playing it, not nearly as relaxed as when I used to play it regularly).

Also, JP saying he would need to relearn Octavarium is not the same as me, or any other guitarist, needing to learn the song from scratch. I would guess him relearning the piece would take him a few hours, and maybe a few extra days to master it, but not more than that.

Offline Progmaniac1988

« Reply #220 on: January 26, 2024, 08:25:01 AM »
Man I just love watching MP play. I missed this! Damn there has been more DT promotion from MP in the last 2 months than the whole of the last 4 years lol. Looking forward to the next drumeo!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #221 on: January 26, 2024, 08:47:05 AM »
Man I just love watching MP play. I missed this! Damn there has been more DT promotion from MP in the last 2 months than the whole of the last 4 years lol. Looking forward to the next drumeo!

Not sure why MP would promote DT in the last four years before he rejoined.  ;) :lol

Kidding, I knew what you meant, but I think the band (with Mangini) got a fair amount of promotion and publicity, as well as notoriety with their Grammy win. I think we all just got comfortable with the status quo after albums like DOT and AVFTTOTW, which were both very good IMO, but perhaps it seemed like fans wanted more/different things from them? I'm not sure, because I don't really keep up with fans of DT outside of this forum, and even here, opinions and viewpoints are pretty varied.

As for Mike's muscle memory on TDOE, I believe it, and it's nice that he's humble and honest about not being 100% accurate on it because I did catch a few flubs here and there but he powered through it. If they really did it in one take, I would easily believe it (that is to say, despite a couple of tiny mistakes, his memory is impeccable, but we already knew this based on his ability to learn songs he already kind of knows, i.e. covers, or re-learn songs for one-off gigs with various bands).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 09:48:03 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: January 26, 2024, 09:36:13 AM »
Wow. Tough crowd.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #223 on: January 26, 2024, 09:43:49 PM »
I could watch this sob play the phone book all day long :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy. MY FAVORITE ALL-TIME MUSICIAN!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #224 on: January 27, 2024, 05:52:32 AM »
Wow. Tough crowd.

I know, right? Oh no he hit a splash instead of a crash  :tdwn.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #225 on: January 27, 2024, 07:18:22 AM »

I also got the sense that when JP addressed that question he meant that learning the parts was actually a very different task for him. which is something I get as a guitar player. It isn't the same as a drummer, who takes liberties with the parts, re-learning it. The guitar in DT just has a different function. It is a rhythm and melodic instrument and it is just more involved to commit all of the parts note for note to memory. JP does not really take liberties with his parts when he plays them live unless it's a certain type of guitar solo.
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #226 on: January 29, 2024, 09:04:53 AM »

I also got the sense that when JP addressed that question he meant that learning the parts was actually a very different task for him. which is something I get as a guitar player. It isn't the same as a drummer, who takes liberties with the parts, re-learning it. The guitar in DT just has a different function. It is a rhythm and melodic instrument and it is just more involved to commit all of the parts note for note to memory. JP does not really take liberties with his parts when he plays them live unless it's a certain type of guitar solo.
JR also said once that JP has the best music memory of anyone he's ever met.  He can remember guitar parts that he hasn't played in decades.  Maybe not perfectly at first, but it's all in there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #227 on: January 29, 2024, 02:02:59 PM »
Yeah I'm not surprised (as good as John is)  and quite a few great players are or were able to do that (or so I've read, Jeff Beck having been another one with the ability apparently) and I also can see why Jordan says John is the best at it Jordan played with.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 02:12:18 PM by Max Kuehnau »
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #228 on: February 27, 2024, 10:31:01 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCbCbbTzyyI

never saw this one before, considering the topic it's kinda fitting for this thread ;-)

Offline obro

« Reply #229 on: February 28, 2024, 02:22:05 PM »
Anyone know if Mike’s videos for Drumeo are concluded, or there’s more to be expected?
There was the short snippet of 6:00, but I’m not sure if there’s gonna be a full playthrough.

Online Schurftkut

« Reply #230 on: February 28, 2024, 03:29:27 PM »
they hinted at a more difficult song for him to play, other than that no idea. I guess most videos are behind their subscription.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: February 29, 2024, 03:02:03 AM »
I think they only pop their tutorial-style videos behind a paywall. The entertainment ones are always free because they really drum up publicity for the product itself. It's a pretty good model they have.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: February 29, 2024, 04:33:45 AM »
Anyone know if Mike’s videos for Drumeo are concluded, or there’s more to be expected?
There was the short snippet of 6:00, but I’m not sure if there’s gonna be a full playthrough.

Posted yesterday at Drum's IG channel:

Watch Mike Portnoy performing Dream Theater’s ‘Under A Glass Moon’ ⚡️

Known for its complexity, Mike shares how he’s gearing up to tackle the challenges of this track after not playing it live for years. This intricate song seamlessly transitions between various time signatures, showcasing the band’s musical technicality.

Head over to our YouTube channel to watch the full #DrumeoLIVE lesson where we talk about his return to Dream Theater and future plans for the band. 🎬

🥁: @mikeportnoy
🎤: @dreamtheaterofficial
🎧: Under A Glass Moon

@mikeportnoy @dreamtheaterofficial
#drumeo #drummer #drumming #drumfam #drumlife #drummerlife #drummerlove #we_love_drums #drumuniversity #drumkit #drumset #drumsticks #music #musician #drumeo #teamdrumeo #dreamtheater #johnpetrucci #progmetal #metal #progressivemetal #progressiverock #music #johnmyung #mikeportnoy #jordanrudess #progrock #dreamtheatercover #dreamtheaterfanpage #dreamtheaterfans #dreamtheater

I headed to their channel, but all I found was this fragment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TqIameIbr8

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #233 on: February 29, 2024, 06:20:07 AM »
I could watch this sob play the phone book all day long :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy. MY FAVORITE ALL-TIME MUSICIAN!

I'm with you on that.  That was a treat.   

Offline Kocak

« Reply #234 on: February 29, 2024, 07:22:07 AM »

Known for its complexity, Mike shares how he’s gearing up to tackle the challenges of this track after not playing it live for years. This intricate song seamlessly transitions between various time signatures, showcasing the band’s musical technicality.

Head over to our YouTube channel to watch the full #DrumeoLIVE lesson where we talk about his return to Dream Theater and future plans for the band. 🎬

#drumeo #drummer #drumming #drumfam #drumlife #drummerlife #drummerlove #we_love_drums #drumuniversity #drumkit #drumset #drumsticks #music #musician #drumeo #teamdrumeo #dreamtheater #johnpetrucci #progmetal #metal #progressivemetal #progressiverock #music #johnmyung #mikeportnoy #jordanrudess #progrock #dreamtheatercover #dreamtheaterfanpage #dreamtheaterfans #dreamtheater

The performance is a part of his longer interview+performance video.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #235 on: February 29, 2024, 08:49:11 AM »

The performance is a part of his longer interview+performance video.

Got ya.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: March 06, 2024, 04:41:07 PM »
*snip*
« Last Edit: March 06, 2024, 04:48:46 PM by bosk1 »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #237 on: March 06, 2024, 04:49:16 PM »
Please do not post TikTok links on this forum.  I know that is not expressly in the rules, but please avoid doing so in the future.  You may continue to post links to most other social media platforms.  Thanks.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #238 on: March 07, 2024, 03:43:51 AM »
Please do not post TikTok links on this forum.  I know that is not expressly in the rules, but please avoid doing so in the future.  You may continue to post links to most other social media platforms.  Thanks.
Why? Even though I'm too old for tiktok and usually avoid it, seeing how Dream Theater have an (apparently) official page on the platform, it's quite a puzzling ruling. If it's about ethics, you could make a case for banning most/all social media pages anyway.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #239 on: March 07, 2024, 06:26:58 AM »
Eh, I agree with the ruling. DTF does not need to be associated with TikTok in any way, shape, or form.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #240 on: March 07, 2024, 08:26:01 AM »
Eh, I agree with the ruling. DTF does not need to be associated with TikTok in any way, shape, or form.

Why?
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #241 on: March 07, 2024, 08:53:04 AM »
In short, TikTok's privacy protections, and their data sharing and security protocols are VERY sketchy.  For the protection of this site and its users, that's a risk I don't want to take. 

When we first put this place together and created the forum rules, social media as we now know it was in its infancy, so we didn't really have a rule set to address that.  The link to TikTok above highlighted that fact to me.  The mods and I came up with the following rule addition (although it is still a work in progress and may be modified):

14.  Regarding linking to social media and other websites:  (a) Please exercise discretion and good judgment.  Whenever possible, link to verified sources and avoid unverified gossip, or profiles of users who claim to have inside information and are not verified to actually have such information.  Links to reliable, primary sources should be used where possible.  (b)  Please avoid posting links to TikTok or other platforms that appear to lack sufficient privacy protections and security protocols.  (c)  Doxxing and similar behavior is forbidden.  Links to material that can be used to personally identify someone without their consent are forbidden.

(b) is what applies here.  So, with apologies to TikTok users here that may love that platform.  I'm not discouraging anyone from using it if that's your thing.  Just please don't post links here on the forum. 

And, for the record, Minstro is not in any kind of trouble, and my intent was not to come down on him.  Hopefully, it did not come across that way (and my apologies if it unintentionally did).  I was just making it clear not to post links from that platform is all.

I hope that explanation helps.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #242 on: March 20, 2024, 06:43:47 AM »
New video, this time it's Panic Attack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oa7oOdYPOSk

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #243 on: March 20, 2024, 07:32:08 AM »
In short, TikTok's privacy protections, and their data sharing and security protocols are VERY sketchy.  For the protection of this site and its users, that's a risk I don't want to take. 

When we first put this place together and created the forum rules, social media as we now know it was in its infancy, so we didn't really have a rule set to address that.  The link to TikTok above highlighted that fact to me.  The mods and I came up with the following rule addition (although it is still a work in progress and may be modified):

14.  Regarding linking to social media and other websites:  (a) Please exercise discretion and good judgment.  Whenever possible, link to verified sources and avoid unverified gossip, or profiles of users who claim to have inside information and are not verified to actually have such information.  Links to reliable, primary sources should be used where possible.  (b)  Please avoid posting links to TikTok or other platforms that appear to lack sufficient privacy protections and security protocols.  (c)  Doxxing and similar behavior is forbidden.  Links to material that can be used to personally identify someone without their consent are forbidden.

(b) is what applies here.  So, with apologies to TikTok users here that may love that platform.  I'm not discouraging anyone from using it if that's your thing.  Just please don't post links here on the forum. 

And, for the record, Minstro is not in any kind of trouble, and my intent was not to come down on him.  Hopefully, it did not come across that way (and my apologies if it unintentionally did).  I was just making it clear not to post links from that platform is all.

I hope that explanation helps.

I think you made your point clear without it sounding like you were coming down on him. I hope TikTok can improve its privacy protocols in the future as if it were less sketchy to use it would be the best platform for bands and artists to share their music, but as it stands right now, there’s a lot of risks with using it. Obviously if people choose to use it, that’s their prerogative, but it’s understandable why the mods and admins don’t want any of that content linked here.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #244 on: March 20, 2024, 08:44:12 AM »
Genuine question:

How is tik tok different than any other platform in regards to date sharing/selling and other huge privacy concerns? My understanding is that they all do it to a huge degree. The only difference is their affiliation with certain governments.

And to clarify, this is in no way a defense of tiktok which I find to be highly toxic and questionable.