Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's DRUMEO video series  (Read 12820 times)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Mike Portnoy's DRUMEO video series
« on: December 25, 2023, 05:57:00 AM »
MP posted this on his FB

🎼“6:00 On A Christmas Morning”🎶
Happy Holidaze from MP (and a little sneak peak behind the scenes at Drumeo from an upcoming clip…😉) Here’s to a DREAM 2024!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1390539581855761
« Last Edit: January 25, 2024, 01:12:16 PM by MinistroRaven »

Offline Kocak

Re: Mike Portnoy: 6:00 on a Christmas Morning
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2023, 06:35:29 AM »
The familiarity of this is soothing.

Online HOF

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2023, 07:45:12 AM »
Nice!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2023, 08:45:47 AM »
Very cool!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2023, 08:49:18 AM »
Sounds good, looks good, feels good - 6 o clock on a Christmas morning and Mike Portnoy is drumming in Dream Theater to it - excellent.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2023, 12:19:48 PM »
6:00 is one of 2 or 3 DT songs that I never thought it sounded right with Mangini. With Portnoy, it always sounded  great!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2023, 01:31:18 PM »
I wonder if he’s going to do one song per album over the coming weeks/months (at least to BSCSL  :biggrin:)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2023, 03:29:10 PM »
The familiarity of this is soothing.

As someone who was happy with Mangini and was fine with him being the last DT drummer ever, I have to agree. This just feels right.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2023, 02:33:00 AM »
Good to hear the old octobarns* sounding like they did on Octavarium.

* ;)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2023, 08:49:36 AM »
Like a hot cup of coffee to start the day...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2023, 07:48:48 AM »
I really like that kit setup.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2023, 03:41:45 PM »
Mike now on FB:

"As my debut Drumeo clip from last week performing Pull Me Under is creeping up on 1 Million views (!!!😳), Drumeo is following up with my next new clip TOMORROW which is a full ONE HOUR Drumeo Live special with host Brandon Toews where I perform 3 more classic Dream Theater songs in their entirety, as well as a The Winery Dogs song…We also spend a lot of time discussing the big reunion w DT, how it came about and what to expect in the future, as well as everything else happening in MP Land…you won’t want to miss this one!"

Consider me "mildly" excited.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2023, 03:44:08 PM »
Mike now on FB:

"As my debut Drumeo clip from last week performing Pull Me Under is creeping up on 1 Million views (!!!😳), Drumeo is following up with my next new clip TOMORROW which is a full ONE HOUR Drumeo Live special with host Brandon Toews where I perform 3 more classic Dream Theater songs in their entirety, as well as a The Winery Dogs song…We also spend a lot of time discussing the big reunion w DT, how it came about and what to expect in the future, as well as everything else happening in MP Land…you won’t want to miss this one!"

Consider me "mildly" excited.

Great!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2023, 04:07:07 PM »
Brandon posted this clip over Tiltok

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM6UeX5U3/

Online HOF

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2023, 04:10:56 PM »
I wonder in what sense is it a "live special" since MP seems to have recorded it when he was there several weeks ago.

Should be interesting though!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2023, 06:03:40 PM »
Brandon posted this clip over Tiltok

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM6UeX5U3/

Panic Attack. Nice. 😁
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2023, 09:35:40 PM »
I wonder in what sense is it a "live special" since MP seems to have recorded it when he was there several weeks ago.
Maybe "live to tape" in that there wasn't any editing involved? Hard to say. Then again, maybe "Live" is part of the name of video series or something. But yeah, color me very interested, too.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2023, 10:23:27 PM »
Oooh, nice. Anyone know what time it'll be?
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2023, 04:15:54 AM »
Oooh, nice. Anyone know what time it'll be?

In 107 minutes according to YouTube.

Here’s is the link:

https://youtu.be/_dxGRq0cNDY?si=WEpLW1Acnh3rKqQ6

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2023, 04:35:57 AM »
Edit: oops, misunderstood. Thank you!
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2023, 04:44:06 AM »
77 minutes now.

And this is the description of the video:

Mike Portnoy is live in the Drumeo studio! Join Mike and Brandon as they talk about his return to Dream Theater. With an impressive musical background, featuring bands like The Winery Dogs, Twisted Sister, and Avenged Sevenfold, Portnoy reflects on the excitement and challenges of rejoining Dream Theater after thirteen years away. Mike also discusses the evolution of his technique over the years and treats us to performances of some of the band's most iconic songs.

00:00 - Intro
00:33 - "As I Am" by Dream Theater (Performance)
07:33 - Welcome
11:04 - Returning To Dream Theater
18:57 - Upcoming Plans For Dream Theater
20:20 - "Under A Glass Moon" by Dream Theater (Performance)
28:32 - Mike Portnoy’s Signature Drum Fill
30:02 - Working With Other Bands
34:42 - "Oblivion" by The Winery Dogs
39:32 - Mike's Drum-Set
41:09 - "Panic Attack" by Dream Theater (Performance)
51:13 - Drum Intro in "Honor Thy Father" by Dream Theater
52:21 - Drum Intro in “Welcome To The Family" by Avenged Sevenfold
54:27 - Wrap-Up
55:47 - "Finally Free" by Dream Theater (Performance)
59:09 - Outro

Online MirrorMask

Re: Dream Theater Grooves & Fills | Mike Portnoy on DRUMEO
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2023, 05:17:22 AM »
Can someone please transcript everything from 11:04 to 20:20?  ;D

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2023, 06:17:27 AM »
"it began to feel like an inevitability" - once he and James met for the first time in over a decade and hugged each other, it all "melted away". But if you'd asked him five years ago, he'd have thought it unlikely.

He was concerned about Mangini, hugely respected his reaction.

Not talked together about business or money yet.

Used to be the control freak in DT, JP now producing on his own. Remains to be seen how new DT will function. Older and wiser now. MP says he's loosened up, learned how to collaborate and let go in meantime.

Writing a setlist was a big one for him. Would be happy to not write any lyrics.

Starting new album in new year. Implies moving into studio before his commitments end. Remains to be seen when first gig will be. He's getting goosebumps about the first show. Used to dream about being back in DT and playing with them again.

And that's the end of that segment.

Additional note: Jordan knew about MP returning when he did his own Drumeo (Pianote) session about two weeks before MP's. When asked about DT's next steps, Jordan said, "well... get ready for the next era of DT!", which got people thinking but no-one put two and two together.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 06:25:32 AM by nobloodyname »
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2023, 06:24:38 AM »
Can someone please transcript everything from 11:04 to 20:20?  ;D
Main take away from things we have not heard:

- no decision yet on dynamics. Mike admits he was a control freak back then. He hopes to gain some control (setlists) but its ok not writing lyrics , or giving away some of the other responsibilities he had.
- New album work will start right after the new year. But no idea when a tour would be.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2023, 06:38:08 AM »
"it began to feel like an inevitability" - once he and James met for the first time in over a decade and hugged each other, it all "melted away". But if you'd asked him five years ago, he'd have thought it unlikely.

Not talked together about business or money yet.

Used to be the control freak in DT, JP now producing on his own. Remains to be seen how new DT will function. Older and wiser now. MP says he's loosened up, learned how to collaborate and let go in meantime.

Writing a setlist was a big one for him. Would be happy to not write any lyrics.

Starting new album in new year. Implies moving into studio before his commitments end. Remains to be seen when first gig will be. He's getting goosebumps about the first show. Used to dream about being back in DT and playing with them again.

And that's the end of that segment.

Additional note: Jordan knew about MP returning when he did his own Drumeo (Pianote) session about two weeks before MP's. When asked about DT's next steps, Jordan said, "well... get ready for the next era of DT!", which got people thinking but no-one put two and two together.

Thanks!

It's a surprise reading that he doesn't care for writing lyrics.

Not a surprise, and I believe him, when he says he's older and wiser and it's not gonna be the "I wear everyone down until I get my way" thing it was before.

I have a positive feeling about this reunion  :coolio

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2023, 06:43:31 AM »
He just made a comment about his drum kit. Said that since he is known for his "big monster kits" with DT, that there is no way he won't go back to that.

Here we go, quadruple bass drum with 25 toms  :metal :metal :metal
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 06:48:40 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2023, 06:45:20 AM »
I'd forgotten how much I used to enjoy MP talking about all manner of DT stuff. He's so engaging to listen to. It's great.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline emtee

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2023, 06:50:30 AM »
Trying to catch bits and pieces while at work. He's playing Panic Attack now and it's like he never forgot a single thing. Crazy. Glad to hear it will be another more-is-better drum kit.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2023, 07:02:27 AM »
Cracking hour of entertainment, that.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2023, 08:48:53 AM »
I thoroughly enjoyed the video. It's a pleasure to see your drumming hero passionately playing the drums to the music you grew up loving.

As he discussed the Rev and his drumming on the Avenged Sevenfold album, memories surfaced of the tour when Mike appeared slim and engaged in bodybuilding. I recall a picture he shared, possibly on his forum, showcasing him in great shape. Now, 13 years later, it's amusing to see him with a substantial belly – especially since I find myself in the same situation, haha.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2023, 10:18:21 AM »

Just watching, and the way he talked about that, I think it's safe to say there's no way in the world this was a decision MM made. I know a few of us said so when this was announced but were shut down pretty much immediately. Not wanting to get in trouble here or anything, but if this video isn't proof of them letting MM go to get MP back, I don't know what is.

Other than that, pretty good video (so far)! Not going to lie, I'm still not too excited about having him back but it is what it is and I'm looking forward to them finally entering the studio early next year to start working on new stuff. A short pre-album tour wouldn't hurt either.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2023, 11:31:27 AM »

Just watching, and the way he talked about that, I think it's safe to say there's no way in the world this was a decision MM made. I know a few of us said so when this was announced but were shut down pretty much immediately. Not wanting to get in trouble here or anything, but if this video isn't proof of them letting MM go to get MP back, I don't know what is.

Other than that, pretty good video (so far)! Not going to lie, I'm still not too excited about having him back but it is what it is and I'm looking forward to them finally entering the studio early next year to start working on new stuff. A short pre-album tour wouldn't hurt either.

I'm still in the whatever phase myself. As long as I enjoy with what they come up with I'm good. I would hope to be challenged as a listener, but we'll see. It'll be better than Raw Dawg anyway.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #32 on: December 29, 2023, 11:47:17 AM »

Not. Amused.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #33 on: December 29, 2023, 11:52:34 AM »

Agreed on everything. There was never a reason to speculate that Mangini left on his own given the words in his own press release and subsequent interview in which he said 'when I heard the decision, I understood it.'

This is a cool video. It does make me happy to see one of my favorite drummers jamming here. But yeah, it is very hard for me to be excited about his coming back when I believe DT reached the best version of themselves in part because of the drummer he is replacing. The play through that made me happiest was Oblivion. That is where I hear his style shining through the most. It'll be a double tragedy is he doesn't have time for Winery Dogs any longer.

I'll be supporting the next album unless they're planning on making the Astonishing Pt. 2, so I am open/eager/hoping I will soon experience the best era of DT and ultimately be proven wrong.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #34 on: December 29, 2023, 12:19:02 PM »

Not. Amused.
Not like this hasn't happened before. The same thing happened when Derek was let go to make room for Jordan in 1999. May seem a bit cold hearted that this was the way things were handled, but we don't know every detail that led to this decision, so while we can come to conclusions, it's best not to be too judgmental. Let's also not forget that whether we all want to admit it or not, DT *is* a business - while artistic, it is the way that they make money to support themselves and their families - so they may make decisions from a business point of view. Not saying that's exactly what this was, but it's possible.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.