Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's DRUMEO video series  (Read 12807 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Mike Portnoy Hears "Burn It To The Ground" For The First Time on DRUMEO
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2024, 09:22:04 AM »
That was a fantastic video!  Cool to hear that "almost" story about MP and Nickelback.

I wouldn't be surprised if he had multiple similar stories about other well-known bands.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2024, 09:41:27 AM »
That was as entertaining as I hoped it would be! Could watch him doing those all day.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #142 on: January 09, 2024, 11:02:29 AM »
I really struggle to come up with a musician more perfectly suited for that kind of content.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #143 on: January 09, 2024, 11:08:25 AM »
So, do we think Mike will bring some Nickelback in for the new album's "inspiration corner" CD stack? :lol

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a fairly straight-forward heavy-rocking metal song on the next album. Something (relatively) simple and fun to rock out to in a 4-5 minute range. Say what you will about the albums of this line-up between Scenes and BC&SL, but when they crafted a decent metal song, it was really good. Some of those first-single type songs are some of my favorites from that period.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #144 on: January 09, 2024, 11:34:40 AM »
I was thinking Mike was using too much crash cymbal. It turned the original recording had way less crash. He still did a great job for hearing it on the fly..  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2024, 06:33:59 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2024, 07:41:50 PM »
That's a great play through and example of a drummer making a song 5-10% better. It's already a good song but you can hear how bleached and stripped down it is. MPs style immediately made it more engaging and a pair of balls.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: January 10, 2024, 02:54:27 AM »
Killer rendition with the double bass.

I must say, I don't think I ever really realised how much of a strong personality MP is.  Dont ask me why.  Can see where the drive and work ethic comes from but can also see why he's not everyone's cup of tea.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #148 on: January 10, 2024, 06:22:41 AM »
I remember thinking the same thing when I listened to the WDADRU commentary.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2024, 07:16:43 AM »
I have to watch this, from Drumeo so far I just randomly stumbled upon the Megadeth drummer listening to The Killers' Mr. Brightside for the first time and laying down his drum parts for it. It's gonna be cool to see Mike directly in action!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2024, 07:17:52 AM »
I must say, I don't think I ever really realised how much of a strong personality MP is.  Dont ask me why.  Can see where the drive and work ethic comes from but can also see why he's not everyone's cup of tea.
Well, that's why he dominated the band for 20+ years.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2024, 08:29:36 AM »
I know that this Drumeo session was scheduled for a long time, and it was a neat coincidence that it coincided with Portnoy's return to DT, but this video served as a great reminder to me of how good a promoter MP is. There are a lot of people who will stumble onto this video and discover Dream Theater for the first time because of Portnoy. I would not be surprised if this played a role in them getting him back in the band - He has a bit of that salesman aspect to him (which is both a gift and a curse :lol).
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2024, 08:58:35 AM »
That version of Burn It To The Ground was in-fucking-credible.  I hope someone makes it available for download some how.  I suppose I could save this YT clip to an .mp3, then trim just the song.  :justjen
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline emtee

« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2024, 12:12:24 PM »
Amazing. The man continues to blow my mind. Elite talent.

Also worth noting, sometimes playing in front of a small select group can be a little intimidating. It's kind of like an audition where every move is being analyzed and every mistake is amplified. It's a completely different dynamic than playing in front of a big crowd. MP handles this setting with ease and confidence. This is a testament to his ability.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2024, 12:17:27 PM by emtee »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2024, 12:49:33 PM »
I didn't know the song.  After having heard it, I don't care for it at all.  Not my thing.  But that said, I loved this performance.  Stuff like this is a great reminder of just how talented MP is, even though the song is pretty simple from a rhythm standpoint.  It's easy for some to reflect back on Mangini and fall into the trap of feeling like Portnoy is somehow "inferior."  And his tendency to "just wing it" and taking his comments about practice out of context and blowing them out of proportion, it's tempting to let those types of things feed that narrative.  But let's not forget that while, even by Portnoy's admission, Mangini might be the "better" drummer, if Mangini is in say the top .1 % of rock/metal drummers in the world, Portnoy is still in the top 1 or 2%.  He's still elite and still just an absolute beast on drums. 

Also worth noting, sometimes playing in front of a small select group can be a little intimidating. It's kind of like an audition where every move is being analyzed and every mistake is amplified. It's a completely different dynamic than playing in front of a big crowd. MP handles this setting with ease and confidence. This is a testament to his ability.

Absolutely!  Very well said.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2024, 12:57:09 PM »
And Mike is, of course, humble enough to let the Drumeo guys keep his flubs and "oops" faces in the final cut of the video. He's a dang good sport about the whole thing, which was just fun and refreshing to watch. Of course, this comes from the guy who played on a Hello Kitty drum kit for a YouTube channel several years ago, so he's not above doing fun and goofy stuff.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2024, 01:11:24 PM »
Well, that's why he dominated the band for 20+ years.

Yeah clearly.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2024, 02:49:07 PM »
Would love for MP to produce Nickelback after hearing this song with his playing. Still keeps it very rocking but with better drumming. Not saying Adair can't play but the song's quality was way better with MP's drumming.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2024, 11:06:13 PM »
I didn't know the song.  After having heard it, I don't care for it at all.  Not my thing.  But that said, I loved this performance.  Stuff like this is a great reminder of just how talented MP is, even though the song is pretty simple from a rhythm standpoint.  It's easy for some to reflect back on Mangini and fall into the trap of feeling like Portnoy is somehow "inferior."  And his tendency to "just wing it" and taking his comments about practice out of context and blowing them out of proportion, it's tempting to let those types of things feed that narrative.  But let's not forget that while, even by Portnoy's admission, Mangini might be the "better" drummer, if Mangini is in say the top .1 % of rock/metal drummers in the world, Portnoy is still in the top 1 or 2%.  He's still elite and still just an absolute beast on drums. 
This is a great way to look at it. Is Mike Portnoy the fastest drummer in the world? Hardly. The most technical? Nope. Does he have an impeccable sense of timing, groove, and rhythm? Absolutely! Is he still a master of his craft? You bet! Plus he is a joy to watch play the drums.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2024, 11:31:53 PM »
That was a brutal song, even with MP shredding it on the drums.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2024, 06:01:50 AM »
I thought it was cool although like Bosk, I'm not really a fan of the song.

The one thing that I would be curious about is how does NB feel about his performance? Might their drummer try to incorporatea bit of what MP did next time they do the song live? And I wonder what the diehard NB fans' take was on MP's performance. Did they hate it, feel it brought more energy to the song or just appreciate it being a different interpretation?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2024, 06:37:10 AM »
MP doing Nickelback was fun. But, looking forward to the next video that “really put him through the wringer” according to this social media.

Either we’re getting TDoE, Instrumedley or it’s finally time to see what he does with an MM track!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2024, 07:47:11 AM »
MP being his usual awesome self  :metal.

I believe the man can play thousands of songs from memory. What a brain.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2024, 03:17:42 PM »
Watched the video, loved it!

The best part was when he heard the actual song, with a simpler drum line, and he said "That's why they're rich and famous and I'm just a nerd prog metal guy"  :lol

"Thank God that gig didn't happen, I would have been fired immediately! this guy is fucking up all of our songs:rollin
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online HOF

« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2024, 08:56:10 AM »
A little off topic (slight MP connection with A7X), but I thought this Drumeo video with Nic Collins (Phil's son) learning an Avenged Sevenfold song "as fast as possible" was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqMEfALJmG8

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2024, 11:19:08 AM »
Another little off topic post, Pianote (same thing as Drumeo but with... piano) is posting another video with Jordan this friday. Here's the teaser for a track they made him learn (so good).

https://youtube.com/shorts/bRLAAJ-zavA?si=dDSdeAzKk64XPFy4

And here's the link for the actual video premiere: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrrcbUAghQA&ab_channel=Pianote
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2024, 11:38:44 AM »
A little off topic (slight MP connection with A7X), but I thought this Drumeo video with Nic Collins (Phil's son) learning an Avenged Sevenfold song "as fast as possible" was cool.

That was pretty cool. and yeah, the double ride part in this track is awesome.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2024, 12:01:58 AM »

That was super cool! I also had no idea Phil Collins had another son. I knew of Simon Collins.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #168 on: January 18, 2024, 07:56:34 AM »

That was super cool! I also had no idea Phil Collins had another son. I knew of Simon Collins.

Ha! I guess you didn’t follow Genesis’ last tour at all? He was the drummer for that one and his dad’s last solo tour.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: January 18, 2024, 11:15:34 AM »
This video reaction made me ROFL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHAWBSm1D3M

Offline gborland

« Reply #170 on: January 18, 2024, 12:19:00 PM »

Phil's take on the matter: https://youtu.be/cddQn1mZRfI?si=QoK1AYo2BTbaHfJx&t=130
Graham Borland

Online HOF

« Reply #171 on: January 18, 2024, 12:20:50 PM »

Phil's take on the matter: https://youtu.be/cddQn1mZRfI?si=QoK1AYo2BTbaHfJx&t=130

I had a feeling that was coming!

Offline Lax

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: January 22, 2024, 01:35:19 AM »
The videos are cool, I laughed so much at his face of disappointement when listening to the nickelback song after rocking it so harder :D !
EBMM JP12 Cherry Sugar + JP7 Pearl Redburst
Axe FX 2 XL+ & MFC101 MK3 & Roland EV5
Boss WL-50, Morpheus droptune, G-Lab Wowee Wah, 2x Yamaha HS7, Sennheiser HD25 SP2 & Jamhub Bedroom
https://www.facebook.com/Laxthestampede/

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #173 on: January 22, 2024, 05:58:02 AM »
I'm really really hoping the learning challenge is playing a MM era DT song.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: January 22, 2024, 06:46:36 AM »
I'm really really hoping the learning challenge is playing a MM era DT song.

I imagine some MM era songs are going to have to be played. I'm curious it MP will stay true to them or add his own flavor. Manghini seemed like he stayed pretty close to the source material, while occasionally taking some liberties on things like the outro of Finally Free.