Author Topic: Mike Portnoy's DRUMEO video series  (Read 12810 times)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Mike Portnoy Hears "Burn It To The Ground" For The First Time on DRUMEO
« Reply #175 on: January 22, 2024, 07:10:51 AM »
This video reaction made me ROFL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHAWBSm1D3M

It amazes me people can make a living doing those videos.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #176 on: January 22, 2024, 07:41:01 AM »

I don't know why, but the way he holds the whiskey glass throughout the entire video really distracts me.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #177 on: January 22, 2024, 07:50:54 AM »
I'm really really hoping the learning challenge is playing a MM era DT song.
I imagine some MM era songs are going to have to be played. I'm curious it MP will stay true to them or add his own flavor. Manghini seemed like he stayed pretty close to the source material, while occasionally taking some liberties on things like the outro of Finally Free.
Well given that MP never played his own parts exactly as they are on the album, you can be sure he'll be doing his own interpretations of the MM material as well. Just look at how he handled the drums for the PSMS shows - especially the Planet X stuff - to see he won't play things exactly as the original.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #178 on: January 22, 2024, 08:08:56 AM »
Didn’t they say the learn a song thing would be a different genre for him?

While it would be cool to see him do a MM song, I sincerely doubt it will be with Drumeo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #179 on: January 22, 2024, 09:04:14 AM »
Yeah, I'd be comfortable wagering a large sum of money that they won't throw a MM era DT song at him.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #180 on: January 22, 2024, 09:07:41 AM »
That would be a dick move from Drumeo.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #181 on: January 22, 2024, 09:09:31 AM »

Why, hef?

I mean, Mike's the drummer of DT, he's still friends with Mangini and there's no animosity. It'd be cool to see Portnoy have to figure one of MM's DT songs out on there. I think it'd be fun, and not disrespectful at all.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #182 on: January 22, 2024, 09:41:16 AM »

Why, hef?

I mean, Mike's the drummer of DT, he's still friends with Mangini and there's no animosity. It'd be cool to see Portnoy have to figure one of MM's DT songs out on there. I think it'd be fun, and not disrespectful at all.

This.

It'd be wrong if Mike P was still out of DT and they went like "oh here's a track you definitely haven't heard before  ;) ;)", but he's back in the band so at some point he's gotta learn at least one or two MM era songs, specially if he intends to acknowledge and be respectful of the previous era of the band (which he said he will). I wouldn't see it as a bad move from them at all.

Also, with MP's reurn to DT there's already talk out there about whether he's able to nail MM's drum parts or not and there's going to be a lot of focus on the drumming for the upcoming DT album and shows. Even more so, Drumeo is a drum centered platform made by drummers and for drummers, so it'd be very interesting from that perspective. It would be the perfect oportunity too for MP to shut up all the people saying he can't play the MM era stuff and convert back some of the fans who aren't totally sold on the lineup change yet.

In the end, we have no clue what song or from what band they made him learn and play anyway :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #183 on: January 22, 2024, 10:05:43 AM »

Why, hef?

Comparison is inevitable in the fanbase, but it's not really helpful and usually only leads to antagonism toward one or the other party.  It's going to happen anyway, no reason for Drumeo to stoke those fires.

If I were MP and they pulled that shit, I would not be happy.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #184 on: January 22, 2024, 10:42:21 AM »
there's already a youtubechannel with a MP copycat playing MM songs the way MP probably would. It's a pretty simple conversion really...

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #185 on: January 22, 2024, 11:25:22 AM »
I wonder if JP and/or JR will bargain with MP about playing an MM-era song, and if they pick one, maybe he'll get to pick a pre-MM-era song that he really wants to play live, like a deep cut or a song the band hasn't played since he was last in the band.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #186 on: January 22, 2024, 11:29:29 AM »
I wonder if JP and/or JR will bargain with MP about playing an MM-era song, and if they pick one, maybe he'll get to pick a pre-MM-era song that he really wants to play live, like a deep cut or a song the band hasn't played since he was last in the band.

-Marc.

I don't know; I don't see "playing MM songs" being a problem.   

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #187 on: January 22, 2024, 11:32:22 AM »
It would be the perfect oportunity too for MP to shut up all the people saying he can't play the MM era stuff and convert back some of the fans who aren't totally sold on the lineup change yet.

What, you mean you and about three others here? :biggrin:

I fully acknowledge it's unlikely MP will adhere to all the intricacies but to the vast majority of the fanbase, that won't matter one iota.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline gborland

« Reply #188 on: January 22, 2024, 11:56:43 AM »
It's literally his job to play DT songs, so getting him to play a DT song (that he may not have learned yet) is neither disrespectful nor a dick move!
Graham Borland

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #189 on: January 22, 2024, 12:20:55 PM »
JMX even played LTE songs  :rollin

Offline HOF

« Reply #190 on: January 22, 2024, 12:28:17 PM »
It's literally his job to play DT songs, so getting him to play a DT song (that he may not have learned yet) is neither disrespectful nor a dick move!

I think the issue would be that you know having him play a MM era song on the fly opens up all sorts of scrutiny. It’s less about whether or not MP would be willing to play a MM song with proper practice and rehearsal and more about putting him an an awkward spot where if it doesn’t go well it opens him to all sorts of fan criticism.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #191 on: January 22, 2024, 12:36:24 PM »

I think the issue would be that you know having him play a MM era song on the fly opens up all sorts of scrutiny. It’s less about whether or not MP would be willing to play a MM song with proper practice and rehearsal and more about putting him an an awkward spot where if it doesn’t go well it opens him to all sorts of fan criticism.

Totally this! In theory, it would be something really cool to see (I would LOVE to), but, in practice, it would only open a giant can of worms, unfortunately.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #192 on: January 22, 2024, 12:41:33 PM »

He will get there, but I get what Hef is saying and I think he is right, it would be a *blip* move.

No only is the point of the channel to hear a drummer's take on songs different from their usual style, but asking someone to play (on the spot without prior notice) a technical song that most likely will require some practice or more time than a drumeo video can allow, would not necessarily be a smart move. It would be like asking your subway drummer to play bleed from Meshuggah on the spot (if they never heard the song before).

And there's not upside to that. If he plays the song, "Cool, he's supposed to play it. He is DT's drummer". If he messes up, "See, they should've stay with MM".
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #193 on: January 22, 2024, 01:11:22 PM »

He will get there, but I get what Hef is saying and I think he is right, it would be a *blip* move.

No only is the point of the channel to hear a drummer's take on songs different from their usual style, but asking someone to play (on the spot without prior notice) a technical song that most likely will require some practice or more time than a drumeo video can allow, would not necessarily be a smart move. It would be like asking your subway drummer to play bleed from Meshuggah on the spot (if they never heard the song before).

And there's not upside to that. If he plays the song, "Cool, he's supposed to play it. He is DT's drummer". If he messes up, "See, they should've stay with MM".

Yeah, pretty much that.  Yes, it's his job in DT to play whatever DT songs they collectively decide to play.  It's NOT his job to play any DT song on demand on the spot that somebody outside the band asks him to play. 

But I don't think it's about "messing it up" as much as just asking him to do so without absorbing the nuances of MM's playing and being able to take the time to think through what he would want to play for something so complex would just invite unfair comparison, and that's not good for ANYBODY but the trolls who love to make such unfair comparisons.  So, yeah, Hef is right.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #194 on: January 22, 2024, 03:59:03 PM »

Yeah, pretty much that.  Yes, it's his job in DT to play whatever DT songs they collectively decide to play.  It's NOT his job to play any DT song on demand on the spot that somebody outside the band asks him to play. 

But I don't think it's about "messing it up" as much as just asking him to do so without absorbing the nuances of MM's playing and being able to take the time to think through what he would want to play for something so complex would just invite unfair comparison, and that's not good for ANYBODY but the trolls who love to make such unfair comparisons.  So, yeah, Hef is right.

After reading Hef's reply, and then some of the other comments, I get it, and now agree. Not a good move if Drumeo did that.

I do, however, look forward to MP playing the more recent DT material. I happen to really like the last two DT records, and it'd be a shame if that stuff became obscure. I imagine the set moving forward would be new material and the old material with MP. But a cut or two from the Mangini era would be nice to keep in rotation.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #195 on: January 23, 2024, 05:37:37 AM »

I don't know about making a living, but maybe you're thinking about videos where they just play the original video and make faces to it, without really adding anything substantial to it. The linked video is definitely not one of those, the guy actually has quite a lot of interesting insight & commentary. I was skeptical at first, but (after skipping the first few minutes) I was thoroughly entertained.

About the 'making a living' part, since it has copyrighted music, it probably wouldn't yield any YouTube revenues in the first place (which would be measly for a few tens of thousands of views anyway). These content creators are usually sponsored directly by fans through Patreon or some such, so it's quite a meritocratic system.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: January 23, 2024, 06:11:57 AM »

I don't know about making a living, but maybe you're thinking about videos where they just play the original video and make faces to it, without really adding anything substantial to it. The linked video is definitely not one of those, the guy actually has quite a lot of interesting insight & commentary. I was skeptical at first, but (after skipping the first few minutes) I was thoroughly entertained.

He has some really good videos about DT or other topics. I stopped watching his stuff a while ago, but this video was really interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjkdGwHe5qg

There's also another video where he talks about The Astonishing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2024, 07:26:21 AM »
Dance of Eternity and the next video will be Instrumedley. I'm a bit disappointed, if there's one thing we don't need more of, it's footage of MP playing these. I guess they didn't dare to pull any MM era songs out.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2024, 07:27:33 AM »
Dance of Eternity and the next video will be Instrumedley. I'm a bit disappointed, if there's one thing we don't need more of, it's footage of MP playing these. I guess they didn't dare to pull any MM era songs out.

That would never happen. We'll be lucky if the band wants (which i hope they will) to play MM era songs from now on.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2024, 07:32:13 AM »

That would never happen. We'll be lucky if the band wants (which i hope they will) to play MM era songs from now on.
No way they'll ditch Breaking all Illusions forever. As for the rest, I guess anything goes. Damn, is BAI the only must-play song from the MM-era?

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2024, 07:35:54 AM »
I wonder if The Alien will be played since it won a Grammy.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2024, 07:37:58 AM »
Not even Pull Me Under and Metropolis are "must play" songs. DT over the years changed their setlists enough to avoid the "must play" songs. So any of the better received songs from the Mangini era is potentially fair game.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2024, 07:38:18 AM »

We'll get them.  I don't even understand where anyone gets the idea that they wouldn't.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2024, 07:45:47 AM »

No way they'll ditch Breaking all Illusions forever. As for the rest, I guess anything goes. Damn, is BAI the only must-play song from the MM-era?
We spoke about this recently. I don't think they will ditch all MM era songs, and we certainly won't see MP playing them for the first time on Drumeo.

Songs that I think are on the table to include on future setlist:

On the Backs of Angels
BAI
The Looking Glass
Surrender to Reason
Our New World
Untethered Angel
Barstool Warrior
At Wit's End
The Alien
Answering the Call
Transcending Time
Awaken the Master (specially if JP records another song with an 8 string guitar)

All songs are probably on the table, but I see them including at least 1 of those songs next tour.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2024, 07:48:43 AM »
I wonder if The Alien will be played since it won a Grammy.
Indeed, that's a solid candidate, would even be above BAI for that reason. So, we're up to two songs.

Going by YouTube view count, we have a few more players:
Our New World - 6,3 million views
The Looking Glass - 4,6
The Enemy Inside - 3,7
The Gift of Music - 3,6

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #207 on: January 25, 2024, 09:40:57 AM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but MP only made a comment about the TDOE parts being played faster live within Instrumedley, but I don't think they announced MP will play Instrumedley next on Drumeo.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2024, 09:42:53 AM »

Maybe I'm wrong, but MP only made a comment about the TDOE parts being played faster live within Instrumedley, but I don't think they announced MP will play Instrumedley next on Drumeo.

They did towards the end of the video. He said he did a video of Instrumedley, and then the video says "Coming Soon".

Offline Kram

« Reply #209 on: January 25, 2024, 10:43:24 AM »

We'll get them.  I don't even understand where anyone gets the idea that they wouldn't.
Exactly Hef.  Remember, this is Mike Portnoy we're talking about.  He gives the fans what they want, as he's a fan himself.  I don't see him shying away from these.  He'll probably be writing the setlists again - so we'll be getting some of these for sure.