Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 63990 times)

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (91-89 Up!)
« Reply #735 on: January 08, 2024, 04:31:11 PM »
A New Beginning- #74 on my list. The main song is a fun little number, but the real highlight here is the bitchin' solo JP lays down for the last couple minutes. That solo should be enough to get this on most lists, regardless of how you feel about TA.

Transcending Time- Not ranked. Probably in the first wave of songs that didn't make it into the ranker for top 100.

Behind the Veil- I had this up at #39. A great song from the self titled album, I dig riffs and the chorus a lot and the solo is just killer. I like how just when the solo feels like it's losing steam they switch up the riff underneath and it helps propel it a little bit further.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #736 on: January 08, 2024, 04:33:11 PM »
A New Beginning- #74 on my list. The main song is a fun little number, but the real highlight here is the bitchin' solo JP lays down for the last couple minutes. That solo should be enough to get this on most lists, regardless of how you feel about TA.

Transcending Time- Not ranked. Probably in the first wave of songs that didn't make it into the ranker for top 100.

Behind the Veil- I had this up at #39. A great song from the self titled album, I dig riffs and the chorus a lot and the solo is just killer. I like how just when the solo feels like it's losing steam they switch up the riff underneath and it helps propel it a little bit further.

Yes!  Nice pickup.  It's almost like the solo climaxes twice!
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #737 on: January 08, 2024, 05:05:44 PM »
A New Beginning - unranked by me. Possibly one of the better songs on the album. Has a big time musical feel with James playing a number of characters in the song. I have done a bit of musical theatre in the past and this song reminds me of myself singing a song like Red and Black from Les Mis as karaoke and singing all the various vocal parts myself. The best part of this song though is of course the second half so I guess I could have ranked it for that.

Transcending Time - which I just realised I spelt incorrectly on my submission (sorry Reaper). I ranked this at 68. If I did the ranker again there is every chance this would be lower so a bit surprised it came in this high. Some really great music in this song but i'm not a big fan of the vocals. The shredding part of the guitar solo feels very out of place.

Behind the Veil - My rank 66. The intro (when the band kicks in) kind of sounds like Metallica...I like the chorus of this song even though (as others have said) the transition to it is a little clunky. This song features a really great guitar solo.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #738 on: January 08, 2024, 05:44:07 PM »
91. A New Beginning -29 for me.    I love this song. And I fell in love with DT seeing JP play this song. I had just started to get into DT after TA was released. I was bouncing around their discography, finding many songs I loved right off the bat. I purchased TA, but was a little meh about it. I hadn't been to a concert in over 16 years, since I saw Metallica when I was pregnant. DT were playing near me, and on Mother's Day, so I decided, perfect! I honestly just couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing. When JP started playing that solo, I thought "who the hell is this guitar player?" (yes I did live in a cave with my children  :biggrin:).
After that, I listened to nothing but DT. Fell in love with TA...and most all of the rest.

90. Transcending Time
- not in my top 100. 105, just missed the cut. I do enjoy it though and The View has no skips for me.

89. Behind the Veil - 58. This was the first song I really dug on the Self Titled. It hasn't grown old either.

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #739 on: January 08, 2024, 06:42:05 PM »
S2N-  98
Gives me Dark Eternal Night vibes.

Our New World- 87
Should become a staple in their setlists because of how damn joyous and catchy it is.

Looking Glass- 74

A New Beginning- 33
Uh oh, this was the Astonishing song that I thought had potential to appear much, much higher in this countdown. For some reason I was under the impression that even the Astonishing-haters tipped their hat to it. Everything from the 5-minute mark on is just about the coolest and grooviest Dream Theater has ever sounded. An excellent song for night driving!

Transcending Time- NR.
Sorry folks, but this song just doesn't click with me and I've given it many chances.

Behind the Veil- 61
Great track but the subject matter makes me feel hopeless and disturbed, and so it's not one I revisit often. 

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: January 08, 2024, 08:55:36 PM »
Not only are all the BC&SL songs in my top 100, they are all ranked higher than #32!
The fuck is wrong with you?

Sorry, I mean:

All opinions are welcome!

Want me to divulge more? Not a single song from Awake, FII, 6DoiT or ToT ranked higher than the songs from BC&SL :rollin

I just looked at your list Luke and I thought I had some hot takes on this forum :lol

Offline CanuckChum

• Heart of the Sunrise
« Reply #741 on: January 09, 2024, 12:32:13 AM »
91. A New Beginning (61). Another highlight from The Astonishing, this one has enough time to develop and explore many different styles. Some of the lyrics do not work for me, but musically it is well done, with JP's solo near the end being a highlight. I also like that little section with the harpsichord and trumpet. While not the final track, this helps end Act 1 on a high note.
90. Transcending Time (73). Pleasantly surprised to see this on the list. An uplifting song that is a nice change of pace halfway through the album. The ending with each instrument dropping out until just the piano is left recalls the ending to In the Name of God.
89. Behind the Veil (62). Possibly one of the more overlooked songs from the self-titled, the chorus is the strongest part for me. The intro also has a unique sound that they have not really done before.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #742 on: January 09, 2024, 12:39:18 AM »
Not only are all the BC&SL songs in my top 100, they are all ranked higher than #32!

Sorry, I mean:

All opinions are welcome!

Want me to divulge more? Not a single song from Awake, FII, 6DoiT or ToT ranked higher than the songs from BC&SL :rollin

I just looked at your list Luke and I thought I had some hot takes on this forum :lol

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Offline WardySI

« Reply #743 on: January 09, 2024, 05:04:13 AM »
A New Beginning NR
I do like this one okay but clearly not enough to make 100

Transcending Time #63
Great song and how it plays out on AVFTTOTW reminds me a little of how I Walk Beside You plays out on Octavarium.  Not that the songs are alike but the listening effect those songs have on me. A slightly more commerical moment and a breather of sorts. They probably couldn't be more different for other folks and likely just me then but anyway, yes good song ;D

Behind The Veil #20
Glad to be sharing lead on this one and tbh just pleased to see it rank well considering much of the dislike I see for DT12.  Which is fine but I love the album and I remember exactly where I was when I heard this song for the first time (CD playing in car on a dark cold dreary night while waiting for my son to finish training) and it was love at first listen.  Couple more spins through the album and an LP copy followed soon after.

Veil was my highest of the albums tracks but do have another from it at #21...

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (88-86 Up!)
« Reply #744 on: January 09, 2024, 06:09:00 AM »
Update time!

88. This Is The Life
Highest Finish: 4 (Evermind)
Number of Top 10 Finishes: 2 (Evermind, Stadler)
Number of Lists appeared on: 42 (Animal, Awaken, Ben_Jamin, CanuckChum, Cool Chris, devieira73, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, jingle.boy, jonny108, KevShmev, Lethean, lucasembarbosa, Mosh, nobloodyname, Peter Mc, pg1067, Podaar, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, TAC, The Realm, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, wolfking, Zydar)

I like this song. I actually think there is something really special about JLB's vocal performance on this song.

87. New Millennium
Highest Finish: 13 (WardySI)
Number of Lists appeared on: 37 (Adami, Awaken, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, jingle.boy, jonny108, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, mariner, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, PixelDream, porcacultor, ReaPsTA, romdrums, Stadler, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, Zydar)

I never cared for this song, and my dislike for it has only grown over the years.

86. Constant Motion
Highest Finish: 18 (pg1067)
Number of Lists appeared on: 42 (Adami, Awaken, axeman90210, bosk1, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, Jamesman42, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, lightningbolt, mariner, Metro, Mladen, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, pg1067, PixelDream, porcacultor, ReaperKK, Revenge319, Stadler, The Realm, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

Kind of surprised to see this song so low. I thought it was more liked around these parts. I think this is a great, straight ahead song from DT. Killer drums from MP and blistering solo from JP.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: January 09, 2024, 06:13:49 AM »
What can I say? It's basically a perfect ballad.

Stadler :hifive:
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #746 on: January 09, 2024, 06:16:26 AM »
100. Never Enough (17th) I don't get how this is at 100. This song has many cool parts, especially the instrumental break.
99. Wither (66th) Solid song, when it hits, it's great but it doesn't always warrant a listen.
98. The Gift Of Music (92nd) It's alright. Past entry 82 on my list is stuff that just had to be ranked.
97. Vacant (70th) This song is so awesome on its own and how it leads into SoC
96. Afterlife (98th) See: The Gift of Music
95. Forsaken (87th) It's alright, live is good.
94. S2N (NR) Honestly just not familiar enough with this song yet.
93. Our New World (NR) See: S2N
92. The Looking Glass (54th) This is one of the better tracks off of DT12. Great chorus, surprised it is this low.
91. A New Beginning (NR) Couldn't tell you what album it's from.
90. Transcending Time I really don't like DT12 View at this time, with about 5 listens since returning to the forum last year. But this song stuck out and was good enough to make the list.
89. Behind The Veil (NR) See: A New Beginning
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
88. This Is The Life (33rd) This song is very underrated. It has a huge atmosphere to it and a great buildup to that final chorus.
87. New Millennium (NR) Not much of a fan of FII, and this song was always skippable to me.
86. Constant Motion (35th) Sometimes you need a straightforward song, DT does it great here, and the instrumental section with the bass and piano is cool as hell.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #747 on: January 09, 2024, 06:17:34 AM »

Yeah, the rest of the forum is off base on that one.   It is, without question, my favorite song from the Mangini era. 

« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 06:25:06 AM by Stadler »

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #748 on: January 09, 2024, 06:19:57 AM »
Glad there are even bigger fans of it than me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #749 on: January 09, 2024, 06:23:33 AM »
154. S2N
145. Vacant
138. Wither
123. Never Enough
121. Afterlife
----
96.  Behind The Veil
85.  Constant Motion
59.  The Gift of Music
46.  A New Beginning
44.  Forsaken
41.  The Looking Glass
36.  New Millenium (Second highest FII song)
33.  Transcending Time
28.  Our New World
5.    This Is The Life (Highest ADTOE song, highest Mangini-era song, and one of only two in the top 25)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #750 on: January 09, 2024, 06:24:31 AM »

Yeah, the rest of the forum is fucked on that one.   It is, without question, the best song - read: my favorite - from the Mangini era.

Almost made the top 10 for me. It came at #16. It is my 3rd highest ranked Mangini era song (could've easily been 2nd highest).

New Millenium: #74. Fine tune and with a unique and fun instrumental section.

Constant Motion: #47. This was my first "WOW" moment with the band. I listened to some songs around 05/06 and did not care. This album came out and I heard this song and the drums and guitar solo blew me away.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Awaken

« Reply #751 on: January 09, 2024, 06:29:21 AM »
This is the life -   my #23 - Agreed w Evermind, this is a perfect DT ballad - love this side of JP's playing.  This song and The Bigger Picture feel like they're kin of some sort.
New Millennium - my #84 - not my favorite album opener, but a solid DT tune
Constant Motion - my   #99 - saved by the solo section
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 06:59:06 AM by Awaken »

Offline Fonzie

« Reply #752 on: January 09, 2024, 06:37:07 AM »
Update time!

88. This Is The Life
Number of Lists appeared on: 42 (Animal, Awaken, Ben_Jamin, CanuckChum, Cool Chris, devieira73, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, Indiscipline, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, jingle.boy, jonny108, KevShmev, Lethean, lucasembarbosa, Mosh, nobloodyname, Peter Mc, pg1067, Podaar, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, TAC, The Realm, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, wolfking, Zydar)

I like this song. I actually think there is something really special about JLB's vocal performance on this song.

87. New Millennium
Number of Lists appeared on: 37 (Adami, Awaken, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Fonzie, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, jingle.boy, jonny108, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, mariner, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, PixelDream, porcacultor, ReaPsTA, romdrums, Stadler, Toro, Trav86, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, Zydar)

I never cared for this song, and my dislike for it has only grown over the years.

86. Constant Motion
Number of Lists appeared on: 42 (Adami, Awaken, axeman90210, bosk1, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, Jamesman42, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, lightningbolt, mariner, Metro, Mladen, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, pg1067, PixelDream, porcacultor, ReaperKK, Revenge319, Stadler, The Realm, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

Kind of surprised to see this song so low. I thought it was more liked around these parts. I think this is a great, straight ahead song from DT. Killer drums from MP and blistering solo from JP.

I think I may have 'New Millenium' the highest (6). I love it. It was pretty much the first DT I remember hearing, having bought FII on the recommendation that JP was the best guitarist out there, and this album was what the record shop had at the time. It made an impression on me. Parts of it reminded me of Tom Sawyer. It's relatively 'basic' by DT's standards, but I was impressed by how precise everything was, almost clinical. That was want I wanted at that particular time.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #753 on: January 09, 2024, 06:41:41 AM »
This Is the Life: 36. In a perfect world there's no reason this song isn't a global hit. In the world we live in it's still a masterclass in song structure.

New Millennium: Didn't make the cut. A couple of interesting bits inside a not so interesting song.

Constant Motion: Didn't make the cut: As above with yet fewer interesting bits.

The Score so far:

21 - A New Beginning
36 - This Is the Life
45 - Vacant
46 - The Gift of Music
68 - Our New World
71 - Behind the Veil
72 - The Looking Glass

Not Rated: Never Enough, Wither, Afterlife, Forsaken, S2N, Transcending Time, New Millennium, Constant Motion

Offline Animal

« Reply #754 on: January 09, 2024, 07:19:10 AM »
This is the Life (60) A great song, even though ballads are typically not what I look for in DT (unless they are little transitional pieces or infused with Kevin Moore weirdness). Still, this is a song I would never skip, even when in a song-skipping mood.

New Millennium (NR) The best thing I can say about this song is that whenever I listen to it, I feel it is not as bad as I remember it to be. But after some time has passed since the listening, I somehow return to the belief that it is one of the worst DT songs. Which it very well might be. Maybe it is just a property of DT songs that even the worst of them are nowhere near as bad as you would  have the right to expect any band's worst songs to be.

Chaos in Motion (NR) The same as NM, only more annoying. Strangely, I used to claim Mike Portnoy was a great singer (which really meant that he was a bit better than people gave him credit for). But his backing vocals in this song are definitely not an argument in favor of that claim.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 08:22:50 AM by Animal »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: January 09, 2024, 07:22:01 AM »
88. This Is The Life (#74 in the previous countdown)

A fine ballad, but nothing more for me. I had it at #71.

87. New Millennium (#90 in the previous countdown)

I enjoy this one and placed it at #65, I think watching the Budokan DVD early on in my DT fandom made me appreciate it more.

86. Constant Motion (#82 in the previous countdown)

A straight ahead rocker from SC with some Metallica influences thrown in. Don't really understand the hate, I had it as high as #42.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #756 on: January 09, 2024, 07:33:36 AM »
24 This is the Life
26 A New Beginning
31 Afterlife
38 Constant Motion
39 Behind the Veil
51 Our New World
54 Wither
64 The Looking Glass
76 Transcending Time
81 The Gift of Music

Missed the top 100: Never Enough, Vacant, Forsaken, New Millenium

Phew this moves quickly! Agreed with Stads and others regarding TITL, just beautiful. Constant Motion is their most head-bangable song. A New Beginning I believe I have too high because I love that ending so much. But I rank the Mangini era highly which explains BTV, TT, TLG, and ONW all making my list as well.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: January 09, 2024, 07:36:08 AM »
88. This Is The Life Number 86 for me. Great ballad by DT, but ballads aren't really what I gravitate to when listening to DT.

87. New Millennium Didn't make my top 100, although I don't hate it.

86. Constant Motion See also, New Millennium
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #758 on: January 09, 2024, 07:42:24 AM »
Update time!

88. This Is The Life

87. New Millennium

86. Constant Motion

I think I may have 'New Millenium' the highest (6). I love it. It was pretty much the first DT I remember hearing, having bought FII on the recommendation that JP was the best guitarist out there, and this album was what the record shop had at the time. It made an impression on me. Parts of it reminded me of Tom Sawyer. It's relatively 'basic' by DT's standards, but I was impressed by how precise everything was, almost clinical. That was want I wanted at that particular time.

Hey there! You're right, I'll update the post when I get home.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: January 09, 2024, 07:46:20 AM »
None of todays three ranked for me.
They are still good songs but to me there are about a 100 Dream Theater songs that are more memorable.
This is the life a nice little ballad but nothing that really hooks me in.
New Millennium, Falling Into Infinity has it's highs and it's lows, this to me is one of the lows.
Constant Motion, a straight up rocker is not what I want from DT and will probably not get ranked too high. This is not one of my favorites.

37 Our New World (93)
59 Transcending Time (90)
65 The Looking Glass (92)
81 Behind the Veil (89)
89 Forsaken (95)
91. The Gift of Music (98)
94. Never Enough (100)

Not rated
Wither (99), Vacant (97), Afterlife (96), S2N (94), A New Beginning (91), This is the Life (88), New Millennium (87), Constant Motion (86)

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #760 on: January 09, 2024, 07:47:26 AM »
Catching up from the beginning:

32. Forsaken
51. Behind the Veil
62. New Millennium
71. Transcending Time (my lowest ranked song from View)
75. Never Enough
88. Vacant (lowest ranked song from ToT)
92. The Looking Glass
95. Afterlife
98. Constant Motion

Nothing from The Astonishing made my list. I like the album very much for what it is but it's very much a "sum of its parts" experience for me. Individual tracks like Chosen and Ravenskill are fantastic, but DT just have 100 other songs I prefer to them.

All the other tracks not on my list (Wither, S2N, This is the Life) finished narrowly outside of it, in the 101 to 115 range.   

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #761 on: January 09, 2024, 08:00:58 AM »
This is the life -   none
New Millennium - 76
Constant Motion - none

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #762 on: January 09, 2024, 08:04:38 AM »
None of these songs made my list.

This is the Life really doesn't do anything for me, sorry Evermind  :D

New Millennium is ok I guess, it's just that there were 100 more songs I liked better.

Constant Motion... bleah. Live it was cool I guess, but I never connected with the song, it feels like they're trying too hard to be heavy and edgy and contemporary. Followers rather than pathfinders. Never before or since the songs I liked the least on the album were the heavy ones (The Dark Eternal Night is another no no for me).
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #763 on: January 09, 2024, 08:06:14 AM »
88. This Is The Life - Did not rank.  Great example of a song that is really good, but there just being so many more that are better.  Easily the best of the ballads that did not make it and one of DT's better ballads overall.

87. New Millennium - 69.  I love how different this song is, and how much ground it covers in its run time.

86. Constant Motion - Finished one spot ahead of Forsaken.  Fun, well-written song from start to finish.  I love that they just went for doing a "straightforward" metal song, but it still has plenty of signature DT.  And that breakdown section is outstanding.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #764 on: January 09, 2024, 08:10:47 AM »
88 This Is The Life - I had it at # 83.  I like it, a good ballad.

87 New Millennium - I have always liked this song.  It ranked # 68 for me.  When I initially got Falling Into Infinity, this was one of the few bright spots.  Love that JM used the Stick on this, but I hate that he never used it again.

86 Constant Motion - A nice instrumental section, wrapped inside a fucking terrible song.  DNR.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #765 on: January 09, 2024, 08:15:59 AM »
This is the Life ... 78.  I think I may have had it slightly higher at one point, in the back 1/2 of the Top 100 feels exactly right

New Millennium ... a few spots higher at 75.  I was not prepared for a less-heavy DT after the onslaught and diversity of Awake.  This was clearly a sign of an attempt to be more commercially appealing, and well... we all know how that went.

Constant Motion ... Hef's right.  The instrumental part is one of their better instrumental sections ever.  The rest of the song is so-so.  Good enough to crack my list at 92.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #766 on: January 09, 2024, 08:51:45 AM »
New Millennium is a really cool song with an awesome instrumental section but some dodgy verses. I like the chorus just fine, but you kind of have to slog through the verses (especially the second one) to get to the good parts. Love DT playing in that more Crimson/jam style throughout though.

Don’t know the other two tracks of the day. Edit: I do know Constant Motion. It is not something I’d listen to again though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 11:06:15 AM by HOF »

Offline HOF

« Reply #767 on: January 09, 2024, 08:54:04 AM »

New Millennium ... a few spots higher at 75.  I was not prepared for a less-heavy DT after the onslaught and diversity of Awake.  This was clearly a sign of an attempt to be more commercially appealing, and well... we all know how that went.

I know we all thought this about FII at the time (myself included), but apart from it being less heavy, I don’t think there was anything particularly commercial about New Millennium. It’s one of their more proggy songs if anything. 

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #768 on: January 09, 2024, 08:54:53 AM »
Other two tracks:

New Millenium - not ranked - I wouldn't call FII an album I often return to. This song is alright but I rarely listen to it.

Constant Motion - #98 - if this song and TDEN were better, SC would've been one of my favourite albums I think. Also an okay track. I don't skip it on the album, but I never want to listen to this song in isolation.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #769 on: January 09, 2024, 09:11:47 AM »
Three out of three today, and I nearly had This is the Life in the correct spot.

My ranking so far:

13. Wither
20. Never Enough
29. Constant Motion
30. A New Beginning
45. The Looking Glass
49. Forsaken
55. Behind the Veil
83. This is the Life
86. Our New World
100. New Millennium

Not ranked:

109. Vacant
113. Afterlife
123. Transcending Time
125. S2N
140. The Gift of Music

OK, so as much as This is the Life ranked way lower than some for me (#83), I can understand the love for this song, and it was one of the highest climbers for me. I still wouldn't be able to justify it in my top 10 though, I'm not that much of a mad lad. The songs from Dramatic Turn are amongst the highest movers during this process, and I reevaluated my whole ranking of the album. Ask me in a year and I could see this song landing even higher.

New Millennium was the Hokey Cokey of my rankings, and ended up sliding "in" at #100. It's alright I guess, but I couldn't put it any higher.

Constant Motion, what can I say I've always loved it and it was probably the first new song I experienced in real time. The instrumental section elevates it from being a straight forward rocker, although it is still that at heart. That instrumental break really is special though, and I specifically love the bit that starts at the 4 minute mark, and lasts for around a minute. #29 for me, and I can't argue that.