Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 65962 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (91-89 Up!)
« Reply #700 on: January 08, 2024, 12:08:27 PM »
I think Kade nailed it with the Harem Scarem reference

???  I don't know what this means.  I feel like maybe I should, but I don't.

It's a Canadian Melodic Rock band I'm a big fan of that he is also familiar with ... and one that Tim hates.

Well, he hates everything.

:Tim:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #701 on: January 08, 2024, 12:22:48 PM »
A New Beginning didn't make my cut. Overall I like The Astonishing, but I'm not particularly fond of this one. Never been swayed by the only long instrumental section on the album.

Trascending Time was 83 for me. Lovely song, and the only one standing out in View. I'm not saying the other songs are all the same, but they fall in the same general umbrella definition of "heavy songs", this one is a breather and I love James' voice here.

Behind the Veil was 58 for me, pity seeing it so low. Probably my favorite chorus on the self titled album.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Animal

« Reply #702 on: January 08, 2024, 12:30:10 PM »
S2N - NR  Unmemorable to such an extent that I have already forgotten what it goes like.

Our New World -NR  I ranked many TA songs, but not this one. There are just too many of them to keep a track of.

Looking Glass - 53  Of all the DT Rush-like tunes, this is the first and the best.

A New Beginning - 41  Just a hell of a song. As a non-native speaker, I can easily "turn-off" the lyrics, which helps a lot with this and other TA songs. It may even be the prerequisite to enjoy the album.

Transcending Time - NR   Looking Glass is all I need when it comes to Rushlike songs in DT catalog. But I enjoy it every time I listen to AVFTTOTV and feel too lazy to hit the skip button.

Behind the Veil - 27  Glad to see some love for this song. One of my early DT12 favorites. I enjoy pretty much everything about it, starting with the contrast of the Mike-Olfield-New-Age-Big-Space-Odyssey style intro and Metallica riff, plus everything that comes after that too.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 01:30:42 PM by Animal »

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #703 on: January 08, 2024, 12:55:45 PM »
I'm the highest ranker for traaa-AAA-aaancending tiiiiime TRANSCENDING TIME-tra-A-A-aaaaanscending time? :lol what the fuck guys, I don't even like this album that much! but this track is amazing :yarr

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #704 on: January 08, 2024, 01:01:22 PM »

It's a Canadian Melodic Rock band I'm a big fan of that he is also familiar with ... and one that Tim hates.

Well, he hates everything.

:Tim:

I saw that thumbnail, and thought "Please tell me he made :tim: that tumbnail... please tell me he did that"  :lol :lol  Thank you for not letting me down.

Flip a coin as to whether he gets the reference.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #705 on: January 08, 2024, 01:02:48 PM »
That's Mikey from the Life cereal commercials! :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #706 on: January 08, 2024, 01:02:52 PM »
Considering the highly possibility that all A View-songs made it to the top 100, it really surprises me Transcending Time is lowest ranked of them all.

Is this a high possibility? I didn't consider this much of a possibility but what the fuck do I know?! I will be very vocal if all the View songs make it but not all the Black Clouds songs do. The way some of you are voting, who knows :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #707 on: January 08, 2024, 01:03:44 PM »

Proof that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once and a while.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #708 on: January 08, 2024, 01:07:25 PM »

The way Joe and Tim go back and forth, I think Tim has no problem finding the nut.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #709 on: January 08, 2024, 01:09:39 PM »

It's like a 40 year reference. Of course I'd get that!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #710 on: January 08, 2024, 01:11:54 PM »
I should not be surprised that jongleboy is talking about Tim nutting.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #711 on: January 08, 2024, 01:31:36 PM »
I'm the highest ranker for traaa-AAA-aaancending tiiiiime TRANSCENDING TIME-tra-A-A-aaaaanscending time? :lol what the fuck guys, I don't even like this album that much! but this track is amazing :yarr

I wonder if I'll be the highest ranker for some songs. I have a suspicion I will be for my #4 song. I could have been the one for Wither and Forsaken, but I was beaten to it, good, it means there's people out there loving those songs and it's not just me  :D

I might have a shot with some ballads, and a non album track I guess.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Animal

« Reply #712 on: January 08, 2024, 01:37:37 PM »
Considering the highly possibility that all A View-songs made it to the top 100, it really surprises me Transcending Time is lowest ranked of them all.

Is this a high possibility? I didn't consider this much of a possibility but what the fuck do I know?! I will be very vocal if all the View songs make it but not all the Black Clouds songs do. The way some of you are voting, who knows :lol

No way. If there ever was a lock for not making the Top 100, it must be one of the AVFTTOTW songs. And one more is quite a sure bet too. That being said, only few people of a good taste and sound mind (you might be one of those rare individuals) would put all the BCSL songs in their Top 100.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #713 on: January 08, 2024, 01:38:31 PM »

I wonder if I'll be the highest ranker for some songs. I have a suspicion I will be for my #4 song. I could have been the one for Wither and Forsaken, but I was beaten to it, good, it means there's people out there loving those songs and it's not just me  :D

I can pretty much guarantee I have the highest rank for my #3, and possibly my #7.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #714 on: January 08, 2024, 01:46:08 PM »
I might be the highest ranker for my #7, #8, and #10. They're not particularly unpopular picks, though, so I could be wrong. What I'm guessing are my most unpopular picks for the Top 100 landed at #45 and #50, and if I ranked those the highest, then I doubt they'll make the list anyway.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #715 on: January 08, 2024, 01:47:04 PM »

No way. If there ever was a lock for not making the Top 100, it must be one of the AVFTTOTW songs. And one more is quite a sure bet too. That being said, only few people of a good taste and sound mind (you might be one of those rare individuals) would put all the BCSL songs in their Top 100.

I have one song from AVFTTOTW at #174, so if it makes the Top 100, it does so without any input from me!

Offline porcacultor

« Reply #716 on: January 08, 2024, 02:07:27 PM »
S2N - 30  My highest-ranking MM-era track! Boy, do I love it. The ranker did its job, it is my favorite of the last 13 years of the band.

Our New World - 59  Somehow one of the emotional highlights of TA for me. I know it's "simple" in a way, but the sweetness made me happy.

Looking Glass - 49  Yeah, I love this one. One that I'd really love for MP to play!

A New Beginning - 93  Almost matched the official ranking! Very fun. Remember bug?

Transcending Time - 88   The ranker's funny here -- in my heart of hearts, it could switch around with Looking Glass. I love it just as much!

Behind the Veil - 77  I always think of their performance on Wacken with JLB and MM wearing shades. Definitely a cool pick from the self-titled.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #717 on: January 08, 2024, 02:24:15 PM »

I most certainly am one of those individuals. Not only are all the BC&SL songs in my top 100, they are all ranked higher than #32!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #718 on: January 08, 2024, 02:25:10 PM »
Not only are all the BC&SL songs in my top 100, they are all ranked higher than #32!
The fuck is wrong with you?

Sorry, I mean:

All opinions are welcome!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #719 on: January 08, 2024, 02:28:11 PM »
Not only are all the BC&SL songs in my top 100, they are all ranked higher than #32!

Sorry, I mean:

Want me to divulge more? Not a single song from Awake, FII, 6DoiT or ToT ranked higher than the songs from BC&SL :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #720 on: January 08, 2024, 02:31:11 PM »

The riff is pure Pete Lesperance. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #721 on: January 08, 2024, 02:36:24 PM »

My guess would be no, but it certainly looks like DOT got a big bump in the last countdown, so maybe (esp. since there's only 7 songs).

As for BC&SL, Wither made it this time but didn't make it last time.  AROP also didn't make it last time, and I don't see it making it this time.  I was really surprised to see how high TBOT ranked last time, and I wonder if it'll do better this time because of MP's return to the band.

I'm pleasantly surprised not to have been the high ranker for Wither.  My top 10 is pretty unremarkable, but there are a few in my 11-20 range for which I might be high ranker.

Want me to divulge more? Not a single song from Awake, FII, 6DoiT or ToT ranked higher than the songs from BC&SL :rollin

My top 10 included songs from 7 albums.  My top 20 included songs from 12 albums.  I added a 13th album in the 30s and a 14th in the 40s.  It wasn't until #80 that I hit the 15th album.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #722 on: January 08, 2024, 02:36:39 PM »

Sorry, I mean:

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Animal

« Reply #723 on: January 08, 2024, 02:38:45 PM »
The only song I am sure to be the highest ranker of is my n. 1 song. I'll likely be the only one and the song will probably barely scratch the Top 50. But this is as much Stadler as I can pull off - I can't compete with the man himself, whose n. 1 will probably be n. 136 on everyone else's list.

Anyway, further reflecting the debate above,  the nice thing about this countdown is that almost everyone gets their turn to be the odd guy (or, metaphorically speaking,  to cherish and nurture their inner Stadler). If this does not speak volumes about the strength and diversity of DT catalog, I don't know what does.

(I hereby apologize to the esteemed forum member for having the insolence to use his name to express my disjointed thoughts. I am sorry, Stadler, but your reputation is too legendary to resist).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #724 on: January 08, 2024, 02:51:03 PM »
The only song I am sure to be the highest ranker of is my n. 1 song. I'll likely be the only one and the song will probably barely scratch the Top 50. But this is as much Stadler as I can pull off - I can't compete with the man himself, whose n. 1 will probably be n. 136 on everyone else's list.

Anyway, further reflecting the debate above,  the nice thing about this countdown is that almost everyone gets their turn to be the odd guy (or, metaphorically speaking,  to cherish and nurture their inner Stadler). If this does not speak volumes about the strength and diversity of DT catalog, I don't know what does.

(I hereby apologize to the esteemed forum member for having the insolence to use his name to express my disjointed thoughts. I am sorry, Stadler, but your reputation is too legendary to resist).

Hey, I own it!!    That's an interesting question, too:  what's the over/under of the group on my number one.  I think 136 is probably a good guess (and for the record, I'm not trying to be an iconoclast here; that song IS my favorite song, legit.  It just basically gets almost zero love here.)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #725 on: January 08, 2024, 02:53:27 PM »
Hey, I own it!!    That's an interesting question, too:  what's the over/under of the group on my number one.  I think 136 is probably a good guess (and for the record, I'm not trying to be an iconoclast here; that song IS my favorite song, legit.  It just basically gets almost zero love here.)
I'm starting to think I am wrong. I thought I knew what your #1 is (which I ranked in the top 40), but now I'm doubting myself  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #726 on: January 08, 2024, 02:54:12 PM »
I'm starting to think I am wrong. I thought I knew what your #1 is (which I ranked in the top 40), but now I'm doubting myself  :lol
I know what his # 1 is.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #727 on: January 08, 2024, 03:01:06 PM »
I suspect I may have a chance at being the highest rating for one or more WDADU songs; 1 or more non-album songs, and (slim chance) 1 song on an album that has all tracks represented.

I know what his # 1 is.

I think I know it to... but I'm not going to spotlight it.  This will be more suspenseful than the consensus #1
=

Offline pg1067

« Reply #728 on: January 08, 2024, 03:23:15 PM »

Assuming it is what I think it is, it's not among the 129 songs I put into the Ranking Engine, so it would come in no higher than 130 on my list.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #729 on: January 08, 2024, 03:32:37 PM »

Sorry, I mean:

Maybe he needs more suits.  :biggrin:

I agree. While there are some that are obviously cherished by almost everyone, the fact that there are many songs that are not on my top 100 list that apparently are on others' lists does say a lot about the appeal of DT's catalog!

I suspect I may have a chance at being the highest rating for one or more WDADU songs; 1 or more non-album songs, and (slim chance) 1 song on an album that has all tracks represented.
I might give you a run for the money on the WDaDU and non-album songs!  :coolio
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #730 on: January 08, 2024, 03:40:47 PM »
I'm not trying to be an iconoclast here

Sometimes, I don't think people need to "try"--some things just come naturally.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #731 on: January 08, 2024, 03:41:07 PM »
I'm not trying to be an iconoclast here

Sometimes, I don't think people need to "try"--some things just come naturally.

\ :tup

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (94-92 Up!)
« Reply #732 on: January 08, 2024, 03:42:33 PM »

91. A New Beginning
Highest Finish: 13 (Lethean)
Number of Lists appeared on: 41 (Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, Indiscipline, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, Mladen, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, Peter Mc, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, TAC, Toro, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00)

90. Transcending Time
Highest Finish: 29 (MoraWinterSoul)
Number of Lists appeared on: 44 (Awaken, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, Fonzie, hefdaddy42, Jamesman42, jammindude, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, NoFred, Peter Mc, pg1067, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Stadler, SwedishGoose, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, WardySI, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

89. Behind The Veil
Highest Finish: 20 (WardySI, wolfking)
Number of Lists appeared on: 46 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, Indiscipline, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, jingle.boy, jonny108, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, porcacultor, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, SwedishGoose, The Realm, Toro, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

I had A New Beginning at #59.
I've never been a fan of having multiple vocalists, but Thiago's video really help unlock this song for me.

I had Transcending Time as Not Rated.
Just missed the cut. On another day, it likely makes it.

I had Behind The Veil as Not Rated.
Perhaps it's the subject matter, but there's just something off about this song for me.

List                                                    Not Ranked         
100                                                      Wither
99                                                        Vacant
98                                                        Our New World
97                                                        The Looking Glass
96                                                        Transcending Time
95                                                        Behind The Veil
90  Forsaken
76  S2N
74  Afterlife
60  Never Enough
59  A New Beginning
35  The Gift Of Music

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (100-98 Up!)
« Reply #733 on: January 08, 2024, 04:14:57 PM »
ANB did not rank for me.

I actually had TT at number 82.  This one has grown on me a lot and I really quite enjoy it now.  It would have ranked a lot higher if it wasn't for JP's silly solo.  Possibly the only time JP really missed the mark for me.  Not sure what he was thinking on this one.  Everything around it though is great.

Behind the Veil as you all can see I had at number 20.  I always thought this song was fantastic.  The chorus is amazing and I've always liked the riffing here.  The subject matter as Tim said is a little off but I don't have an issue with it.  As Alessandro said, it's one of JP's most well structured solos.  Easily one of his most underappreciated and underrated solos.  An absolute bitch to play too.

List                                                        Not Ranked         
100                                                    The Gift of Music
99                                                      A New Beginning
94 Our New World
88 Vacant
82 Transcending Time
78 Wither
71 Forsaken
67 S2N
64 The Looking Glass
58 Afterlife
42 Never Enough
20 Behind the Veil

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #734 on: January 08, 2024, 04:27:09 PM »

Sorry, I mean:

Maybe he needs more suits.  :biggrin:

I have a suit for each time I had the desire to relisten to Falling Into Infinity :neverusethis: