Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 65970 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (94-92 Up!)
« Reply #665 on: January 08, 2024, 04:52:20 AM »
I didn't participate in the last countdown, and I don't want to look it up and spoil where this list might go, but...

*Please no spoilers*

How does the list so far match up to the previous one? Totally different or some similar song placements?

You don't want spoilers and the need to look up the old list yet you ask the question in the next line how they are stacking up so far?  Is this a trap?  :lol

I wasn't clear :lol

I don't want to spoil how the Top of the previous countdown looks (top 20 especially) but I DO want to know how numbers 100-92 in this list compare specifically to 100-92 in the previous list.

This is how the songs posted so far placed in the previous countdown.

100. Never Enough (#99)

99. Wither (-)

98. The Gift Of Music (#83)

97. Vacant (#89)

96. Afterlife (#96)

95. Forsaken (#95)

94. S2N (#70)

93. Our New World (#97)

92. The Looking Glass (#92)
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: January 08, 2024, 04:53:47 AM »
Luke was probably responsible for Wither making it at all. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #667 on: January 08, 2024, 05:14:51 AM »

Oh, I 100% was!

That's crazy that some of the songs placed exactly the same (or at least to me it is).

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (91-89 Up!)
« Reply #668 on: January 08, 2024, 05:21:43 AM »
An the 90's are done!

91. A New Beginning
Highest Finish: 13 (Lethean)
Number of Lists appeared on: 41 (Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Cool Chris, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, Indiscipline, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, Mladen, Mosh, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, NoFred, Peter Mc, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, TAC, Toro, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00)

Barely made my list. I thought about placing it higher but there was just better music out there.

90. Transcending Time
Highest Finish: 29 (MoraWinterSoul)
Number of Lists appeared on: 44 (Awaken, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, Fonzie, hefdaddy42, Jamesman42, jammindude, jonny108, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, NoFred, Peter Mc, pg1067, Podaar, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Stadler, SwedishGoose, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, WardySI, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

#34 for me, I really dig this song.

89. Behind The Veil
Highest Finish: 20 (WardySI, wolfking)
Number of Lists appeared on: 46 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dittomist, DragonAttack, Dream Team, Evermind, Fonzie, geeeemo, Indiscipline, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, jingle.boy, jonny108, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, MirrorMask, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, porcacultor, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, SwedishGoose, The Realm, Toro, twosuitsluke, Vmadera00, WardySI, weirdo, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

Didn't make the cut for me.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #669 on: January 08, 2024, 05:35:03 AM »
91. A New Beginning (-) (placed #68 in the previous countdown)

Didn't make my list.

90. Transcending Time (#41)

My favourite song off the latest album. A musically uplifting song that reminds me a bit of The Looking Glass.

89. Behind The Veil (#92) (placed #64 in the previous countdown)

An okay song with a nice chorus.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #670 on: January 08, 2024, 05:54:29 AM »
A New Beginning: 21. From Simon Zealot Song to a Henry Purcell break to a bona fide groove. One of DT's most intriguing creations.

Transcending Time: Didn't make the cut. A victim of the Ranker with not many arguments to fight back.

Behind the Veil: 71. It would be 20 places higher with a smoother transition to the chorus. One of JP's best (but less heralded) solo structures.

The Score so far:

21 - A New Beginning
45 - Vacant
46 - The Gift of Music
68 - Our New World
71 - Behind the Veil
72 - The Looking Glass

Not Rated: Never Enough, Wither, Afterlife, Forsaken, S2N, Transcending Time
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 03:44:03 PM by Indiscipline »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #671 on: January 08, 2024, 05:56:57 AM »
91. A New Beginning 38 on my list. If I squint my ears just right I can't hear the lyrics and the music jumps out which is very...Dream Theater. Plus the bass, drum, guitar, smoky barroom, ride out is just the best ever.

90. Transcending Time 71. Like everything else on AVFTTOTW, very pleasant to listen to. The melody in the verses is excellent and leads well into the pre-chorus. The instrumental section is the only negative. It's seems out of place with the rest of the song...a bit too dark and aggressive.

89. Behind The Veil This one didn't make the cut for me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Awaken

« Reply #672 on: January 08, 2024, 05:57:40 AM »
Wow this is moving right along!  Catching up from 100 . . .

100.  Never Enough - not ranked
99.  Wither - not ranked
98.  The Gift of Music - 81 on my list, solid DT single
97.  Vacant - not ranked
96.  Afterlife - 64 on my list - Score played a massive part in my appreciation of this tune
95.  Forsaken - 87 on my list - When DT and Evanescence unite - killer live
94.  S2N - 93 on my list - Fun song on a great (to me) album, pretty close to the board consensus
93.  Our New World - 74 on my list - the solos in this one (especially the second) made this one a bit higher on my list
92.  The Looking Glass - 77 on my list - Bordering on too much inspiration (IMO), but a fun song on an otherwise fairly dark album
91.  A New Beginning - 98 on my list - barely edged out ONW, solid song
90.  Transcending Time - 60 on my list - loved the change of pace this tune provides on AVFTTOTW, ranked considerably higher than the board
89.  Behind the Veil - 89 on my list - spot on - wish I could skip the intro, but once the tune gets going it's good/great, the chorus is cool too

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #673 on: January 08, 2024, 06:01:55 AM »
A New Beginning - 97
Transcending Time - none
Behind The Veil - none

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #674 on: January 08, 2024, 06:02:29 AM »
A New Beginning - #78 - solid song but far from my favourites from TA. Definitely interesting and enjoyable enough. Everything before the "Not long ago there was a time and place..." bridge is such an ear-worm.

Highest Finish: 13 (Lethean)

The hell? Do you use this track to unwind from misery you get listening to Katatonia? :lol

Transcending Time - not ranked - I think this was the song where JP solo shred didn't work for me at all.

Behind the Veil - #68 - I'm not exactly a fan but can't deny the song is very solid. The chorus and the solo are really good.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #675 on: January 08, 2024, 06:15:56 AM »
Catching up after being away for the weekend

The Gift of Music: #46
Excellent showcase of the things I love most in DT songwriting and great example of my DT Compass Theory (DT is at its best north of Queen, south of Iron Maiden, west of Yes, east of Journey.)

Which is a problem when the The Gift of Music compass is aligned like this

Queen

Yes                      Journey

Iron Maiden

I have a strong suspicion that if TGOM was on an album with a different title you wouldn’t have this strong of a reaction. Because there is nothing about the song that is out of line with any other typical DT single.

Perhaps... but read my comment about the song - my beef is with the lyrics.  Perhaps the lyrics would be vastly different if not on TA.

Vacant ... NR.  PG put it best ... a nice little transition song that doesn't do anything wrong.  30 or so good songs had to be cut, and this as one of them.
Afterlife ... 54 - largely aided by either of the JLB sung live releases, but I do really love the original, despite CD's vocals and the very thin production.
Forsaken ... NR.  It was originally on my list in the last spot, but got bumped to the low 100s after a couple of adjustments.  Live it's very good.
S2N ... 80.  Nice heavy track - I love the main riff - with a silky smooth chorus.  James sounds great here.  Naturally, a very TDEN-esque outro to let Jordan stretch out and shine.
Our New World ... 60.  My fave track from TA, and the only song from that album that I truly enjoy start-to-finish.  I think Kade nailed it with the Harem Scarem reference - which validates why I like it so much, and why Tim hates it so much.  :D
The Looking Glass ... 74.  I never really thought too much about the Rush influence, it's just a really good tune.
A New Beginning ... NR.  Listening to it right now, and on its own, it's ok.  I suppose it *could* be a Top 100 song if I gave it more of it's dues as an individual track.
Transcending Time ... NR.  I listened to this album 2-3 times before deciding that DT had jumped the shark (for me).  A View has zero entries on my list.
Behind the Veil ... 45.  One of my more favored tunes from the album.  It's a shame it burns 90 seconds to get going, but once it does, it's a banger.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #676 on: January 08, 2024, 06:20:46 AM »
Catching up from the weekend:

97.   Vacant: #33 for me. This is a piece that if I would've spent more time with my list, it would've moved up to the top 20. Beautiful piece and well executed.
96.   Afterlife: #71. Fun track. Not much to say here.
95.   Forsaken: NR. It's fine but nothing special.
94.   S2N: #45. Wow, I'm surprised at this one. I honestly thought it would be at least top 75. One of the best tracks from the last decade.
93.   Our New World: #41. Straight rocker with catchy melody, and good JP solo.
92.   The Looking Glass: #60. One of the only saving pieces from the Self titled.
91.   A New Beginning: #58. The ending solo alone should warrant a higher spot for this track.
90.   Transcending Time: NR. 2 years in, and this track doesn't click with me, even though I gave it so many chances. By far one of my least favorites from DT overall.
89.   Behind The Veil: #96. This one moved up recently for me. It's fine for what it is. The chorus is nice.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #677 on: January 08, 2024, 06:44:43 AM »
100. Never Enough (17th) I don't get how this is at 100. This song has many cool parts, especially the instrumental break.
99. Wither (66th) Solid song, when it hits, it's great but it doesn't always warrant a listen.
98. The Gift Of Music (92nd) It's alright. Past entry 82 on my list is stuff that just had to be ranked.
97. Vacant (70th) This song is so awesome on its own and how it leads into SoC
96. Afterlife (98th) See: The Gift of Music
95. Forsaken (87th) It's alright, live is good.
94. S2N (NR) Honestly just not familiar enough with this song yet.
93. Our New World (NR) See: S2N
92. The Looking Glass (54th) This is one of the better tracks off of DT12. Great chorus, surprised it is this low.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
91. A New Beginning (NR) Couldn't tell you what album it's from.
90. Transcending Time I really don't like DT12 View at this time, with about 5 listens since returning to the forum last year. But this song stuck out and was good enough to make the list.
89. Behind The Veil (NR) See: A New Beginning
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 06:54:30 AM by Jamesman42 »

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #678 on: January 08, 2024, 06:52:39 AM »
Just peeking in to say that I admire those of you who have the time to do this.  :lol
You should've done it Crystal! It takes time, but it's fun!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: January 08, 2024, 06:53:06 AM »
90. Transcending Time I really don't like DT12 at this time, with about 5 listens since returning to the forum last year. But this song stuck out and was good enough to make the list.

Man, it's not from DT12. :biggrin: See: A New Beginning

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #680 on: January 08, 2024, 06:54:13 AM »
90. Transcending Time I really don't like DT12 at this time, with about 5 listens since returning to the forum last year. But this song stuck out and was good enough to make the list.

Man, it's not from DT12. :biggrin: See: A New Beginning

Oh shit :lol I meant View

Offline Mladen

« Reply #681 on: January 08, 2024, 06:57:17 AM »
A New beginning was my #42. The Astonishing is one of the albums where the entirety is better than the sum of its parts. It's surprising that my favorite song from the album wasn't higher on my list, but I still adore so many songs from it.

Transcending time was my #97. It's one of the better tracks from the last album. I'm sort of surprised it's the only song off of it that the band didn't perform live.

I didn't rank Behind the veil. I'm saving it for when we do the bottom 25 countdown or something like that.  :lol

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #682 on: January 08, 2024, 07:02:53 AM »
91. A New Beginning One of the few TA tracks that made my list. The whole song is OK, but it's the Satriani-esque solo for the last couple of minutes that elevated the song for me so that it was one I felt important enough to include on my list. Rated as #85 on my list.

90. Transcending Time Like The Looking Glass, this overtly Rush-influenced song fell flat on my ears. Especially the singing of the title starting at 5:23 just sounds so forced; JP should've come up with other lyrics for that spot. I do like it more than TLG, but it still is another song that didn't make the cut for me (the only one from this album).

89. Behind The Veil A good middle-of-the-road song. Not as good as the epic or The Bigger Picture, but one that I still enjoyed and hope will get added to the master song list for future tours since it got such limited air time live. It placed at #53 for me.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #683 on: January 08, 2024, 07:18:01 AM »
Catching up!

97. Vacant - I had this at #64. Great song. I can understand how some people think of it as a transitional song, or an intro to Stream of Consciousness, but the lyrics and vocals are just so good.

96. Afterlife - I had this ranked higher than anyone at #20. I absolutely love this song, and album. As mentioned from others, the Score version cranks. The unison is epic and the drumming is awesome. I am blown away that it's ranked so low.

95. Forsaken - I had this at #22. Another absolute jam of a song. It's one of the best songs on SC.

94. S2N - Surprisingly I ranked this off the list at #139. I think this is a pretty cool song.

93. Our New World - Ranked at #35. Great, great song. One of the absolute highlights from TA.

92. The Looking Glass - Ranked at #71. I've always enjoyed this one. Obviously Rush influenced, and I enjoy the lyrics.

91. A New Beginning - Off the list at #140. This one is okay for me. It, like most of The Astonishing, is better in context than on its own.

90. Transcending Time - Off the list at #127. Most of this album did not make my list, but I will say that this song has always stuck out to me. Definitely not a bad song.

89. Behind The Veil - Ranked this at #89!! Nailed it.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: January 08, 2024, 07:40:15 AM »
I was a bit shocked to learn that I haden't ranked A New Beginning. Went through the ranker and used what it gave me. But listening to it now I can see that it's probably as it should be. Can think of a lot of songs from TA that I hold higher.
Transcending Time ranked at 59 for me. Quite nice song but far from my favorite on AWFTTOTW.
Behind the Veil fell on rank 81 for me. Feels like a good spot for it.

37 Our New World (93)
59 Transcending Time (90)
65 The Looking Glass (92)
81 Behind the Veil (89)
89 Forsaken (95)
91. The Gift of Music (98)
94. Never Enough (100)

Not rated
Wither (99), Vacant (97), Afterlife (96), S2N (94), A New Beginning (91)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #685 on: January 08, 2024, 08:33:37 AM »
154. S2N
145. Vacant
138. Wither
123. Never Enough
121. Afterlife
----
96.  Behind The Veil
59.  The Gift of Music
46.  A New Beginning
44.  Forsaken
41.  The Looking Glass
33.  Transcending Time (My highest AVFTTOTW song)
28.  Our New World. (My highest TA song)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #686 on: January 08, 2024, 09:10:02 AM »
97. Vacant - I had Vacant at #50.  It took me awhile to warm up to this song, and it wasn't one I immediately gravitated toward.  But I came to appreciate how beautiful it is, both musically and lyrically.  Very solid.  Indiscipline put it well:  "Beautiful and gut-wrenching, and my favourite James' performance as Singer, not just vocalist."

96. Afterlife - Did not rank.  This and TOWHTSTS are my two least favorite on WDADU and are kind of my poster children for why this album doesn't measure up.  There are very few DT songs I don't like (which is an amazing feat given how many songs they have), but this is one of them.

95. Forsaken - #30 for me.  LOVE this song.  It's very concise and structurally simple for DT, but that all works really well within the context of the song.  There are definitely plenty of days when I reach for SC specifically to hear this song.  A highlight of the album for sure. 

94. S2N - #11, as you all know, since I guess I ranked it the highest.  It's very busy, rocking, funky, and catchy all at the same time.  First couple of times I heard it, I felt like it was a bit too busy and noisy, and I just wanted to spent more time with it to figure it out.  It's hard to explain exactly why I rank it where I do when I look at some other songs that are just below it, other than to say I just like it.  Must be the Owen Wilson factor. 

93. Our New World - #78.  Solid song.  It kinda feels like a song where they went, "Oh, we need something straightforward that has a 'hit single' vibe."  And it works.

92. The Looking Glass - #68.  But I don't like Rush.  :) 

91. A New Beginning - Didn't make my list.  It's fine.  Not a bad song.  I included it in my batch of songs that went into the ranking engine, but it feel short by a few spots.

90. Transcending Time - #74 for me.  I don't seek it out, but enjoy it when it plays.

89. Behind The Veil - #26.  This was the highest ranking song from DT for me (although I usually mention Along for the Ride as my favorite, so go figure).  I really like it.  Very well put together.  There is a darkness, angst, and restrained hopefulness about the music that fits the lyrics perfectly.  A fine example of music and lyrics complimenting each other very well.  And the guitar solo...I love how it takes such a turn halfway through as the chords underneath it change.  It starts of kind of pedestrian, for DT (which really says something about what an exceptional guitarist JP is, as if we didn't know), and then suddenly takes a turn and climaxes into something truly epic.  I don't remember the specific context or who else was involved in the discussion, but there was a conversation here where someone was saying that JP really hadn't done a solo in quite a long while that really stood out, and I pointed to this song.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #687 on: January 08, 2024, 09:12:28 AM »

Oh, I 100% was!

:rollin

I think Kade nailed it with the Harem Scarem reference

???  I don't know what this means.  I feel like maybe I should, but I don't.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #688 on: January 08, 2024, 09:13:05 AM »
S2N (99): Nice groove. Could have done without the cringeworth 'wow'

Our New World (97): I like humming along to it

The Looking Glass (not ranked): doesn't work for me; sounds contrived

A New Beginning (88): it's a good tune. But it was cut far too short. Love the feel under the solo and the solo itself

Transcending Time (not ranked): agree with Scott again. And I agree with the criticism of the solo

Behind The Veil (not ranked): reflective of DT12 as a whole for me. Just a bit boring
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #689 on: January 08, 2024, 10:21:10 AM »
Two out of three again today. Today sees my highest ranking TA song.

My ranking so far:

13. Wither
20. Never Enough
30. A New Beginning
45. The Looking Glass
49. Forsaken
55. Behind the Veil
86. Our New World

Not ranked:

109. Vacant
113. Afterlife
123. Transcending Time
125. S2N
140. The Gift of Music

A New Beginning ranked at #30 for me, and has always been my favourite song from The Astonishing, and it's not even close. For someone who generally focuses on the guitar and drums when it comes to music, I think it's LaBrie's performance that I love most about this song. The chorus is just great and even though I think the albums plot is cheesy and amateur, I don't care when it comes to this song. That instrumental break that comes in at 2:17, just glorious. It takes quiet a few twists and turns along the way, and for a song that is nearly 8 minutes, it also doesn't feel it all. I can't forsee a time this song won't be on my favourites playlist.

Transcending Time, like S2N yesterday, mainly suffers because I am not as overly familiar with View as the rest of the albums. It came in at #123 for me, but is no slouch.

Lastly Behind the Veil. This came in at #55 for me, and is just another song from DT12 that I enjoy immensely. Outside of the song that is my favourite on the album, most of the others rank somewhat closely.

Oh, I 100% was!

:rollin

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #690 on: January 08, 2024, 10:22:06 AM »
Catching up:

97 Vacant - I like Vacant quite a bit.  I had it at # 55.  A much needed change of pace on the otherwise one-dimensional Train of Thought.  One of my favorite songs from that album.

96 Afterlife - DNR.  As rock songs go, this certainly is one.

95 Forsaken - DNR.  Nothing really wrong with this one, it's OK, just didn't make my list.

94 S2N - I had it at # 97, so pretty close with the consensus.  Fun song, lots of great instrumentation here. 

93 Our New World - # 81 for me.  Definitely one of the better songs on The Astonishing, and one of the few I wouldn't mind seeing apart from the entire presentation.  I also enjoyed the alternate version with Lizzy Hale.

92 The Looking Glass - DNR.  Never really cared for this one.

91 A New Beginning - DNR.  Never really cared for this one.

90 Transcending Time - Love this song a lot!  I had it at # 73.  Would loved to have seen it performed live while MM was in the band.  Hopefully they still get around to performing it with MP.

89 Behind The Veil - DNR. Never really cared for this one.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #691 on: January 08, 2024, 10:57:07 AM »
91. A New Beginning

90. Transcending Time

89. Behind The Veil

A New Beginning didn't make the cut for me.  I couldn't even tell you what it sounds like.

Transcending Time is my #2 View song, coming in at #65.

Behind the Veil, Surrender to Reason and The Bigger Picture have always been relatively interchangeable for me.  They're all really good, but I have some difficulty distinguishing them (except for their choruses).  BTV ranked at #46 for me.

List                                                    Not Ranked         
100                                                   Never Enough (100), The Gift of Music (98), Our New World (93), A New Beginning (91)
84  Forsaken (95)
79  Vacant (97)
65  Transcending Time (90)
59  Afterlife (96)
46  Behind the Veil (89)
31  The Looking Glass (92)
28  S2N (94)
27  Wither (99)

Through the first 12 reveals, DT12 and TA stand at the top of the album rankings.  Obviously, it's too early to post the whole thing.  I'll probably start when we get into the mid-70s.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: January 08, 2024, 11:03:24 AM »
100. Never Enough (#6) as mentioned in the last countdown, I love the instrumental break, and especially MPs drumming and that occasional cymbal hit.  It has the anger I’ve felt towards some unappreciative managers, former fellow employees, a couple of family members, along with any and all individuals who have stabbed me in the back throughout my life.  Demands were made, requirements fulfilled, and that still wasn’t good enough. My peace of mind is so much better for having walked away.  Everything is never enough indeed!

99. Wither (NR) DT covers Nirvana.

98. The Gift Of Music (#39) including the last minute of ‘Dystopian Overture’, it still hits a sweet spot. Great opening track, and couldn’t wait to hear what the rest of TA had to offer.

97. Vacant (NR) though it is one of the four songs from ToT I do like.

96. Afterlife (NR) after just watching the ‘Score’ version the day this was listed, I should have had this around #80.

95. Forsaken (NR) I like the tune, just not a big fan of non Alice Cooper vampire songs 😉

94. S2N (#66) my lowest rated D/T track

93. Our New World (#34) especially with the ‘The Savior In The Square’ intro included  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agXk_VyRtZM  I remember doing this before I found the youtube post.  Would love to hear these two together in concert. My highest rated TA song.

92. The Looking Glass (#79)

91. A New Beginning (#98)

90. Transcending Time (#89) one of three View tracks to make my list.

89. Behind The Veil (#80)

8/12

Enjoying the range of comments so far, especially those with the songs ranked much higher than the countdown list. Been listening to the three songs posted each day as a nice little change of pace, some of which I had not heard in a long spell.

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #693 on: January 08, 2024, 11:10:57 AM »
Considering the highly possibility that all A View-songs made it to the top 100, it really surprises me Transcending Time is lowest ranked of them all. It's so unique and uplifting. It feels like the song could 've easily been brought out on Dream Theater 12, 'fits the overall movement of that album'... maybe in a decade or so, it's ranked much higher.

Was #48 for me.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #694 on: January 08, 2024, 11:15:28 AM »
100. Never Enough (#6) as mentioned in the last countdown, I love the instrumental break, and especially MPs drumming and that occasional cymbal hit.  It has the anger I’ve felt towards some unappreciative managers, former fellow employees, a couple of family members, along with any and all individuals who have stabbed me in the back throughout my life.  Demands were made, requirements fulfilled, and that still wasn’t good enough. My peace of mind is so much better for having walked away.  Everything is never enough indeed!

Now that you say it, I can see it applying to my work. Still not burned out but feeling angry enough at times to agree with MP and the song. Maybe that's why I placed it relatively high on my list.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #695 on: January 08, 2024, 11:31:38 AM »
A New Beginning (my #22) is my fave from TA and that groovy outro solo is an instant classic.

Transcending Time (my #55) great song, very Rush's Permanent Wave-ish and the solo is great, also reminding me the one in Constant Motion.

Behind The Veil (my # 69). I think DT is a very consistent album, unfortunately very harmed for its weird production. This song is a very cool rocker with nice keyboard intro, amazing drum parts (specially in the first verses) and great soloing by JP (I love its ending).
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 11:43:42 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #696 on: January 08, 2024, 11:42:55 AM »
91. A New Beginning - really like this one, it was one of the standouts for me when TA first came out. It ranked at 54 for me. One of the few songs on TA that actually feels like a complete song, with the riffs and melodies (which are all great) having time to breathe and groove. I love the lyrical dialogue between the multiple characters, and James does a decent job differentiating between each one and the music supports this too. Then there's that groovy outro solo section!

90. Transcending Time - unranked for me. Not that I particularly dislike it, it's just not really clicked for me yet. Interestingly though, the solo section which others have commented is out of place with the vibe of the song is actually my favourite part!

89. Behind The Veil - unranked. I've barely listened to this one since DT12 came out - that is, until the last couple of weeks when I started putting this list together. As a result of which, my appreciation for it has grown slightly - I like all the individual sections, the spacey intro, the verse riff, lyrics and the chorus melodies - but I don't know, as an overall package there are just so many other songs I prefer.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #697 on: January 08, 2024, 11:44:37 AM »
Some tidbits from the 2021-22 countdown:

Albums to get all songs in the top 100:  4 (I&W, Awake, SDOIT, TOT)

Highest ranked song from each album:

- WDADU (5/8) - The Killing Hand (53)
- I&W (8/8) - Learning to Live (1)
- Awake (11/11) - Voices (5)
- FII (6/11) - Trial of Tears (7)
- SFAM (10/12) - Home (8)
- SDOIT (6/6) - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (12)
- TOT (7/7) - In the Name of God (11)
- 8VM (7/8) - Octavarium (3)
- SC (5/7) - In the Presence of Enemies (25)
- BC&SL (4/6) - The Count of Tuscany (14)
- ADTOE (7/9) - Breaking All Illusions (6)
- DT12 (6/9 - Illumination Theory (23)
- TA (10/29 - excludes NOMAC tracks) - A New Beginning (68)
- DOT (5/10) - At Wit's End (20)
- View (not included in countdown)
- Other (3) - A Change of Seasons (2)

Overall album rankings based on points:

1. Awake (657 points)          (ranked 4th in the 2022 album countdown)
2. SFAM (648 points)            (1st)
3. I&W (630 points)              (2nd)
4. SDOIT (449 points)           (3rd)
5. ADTOE (375 points)          (5th)
6. 8VM (339 points)              (6th)
7. FII (320 points)                (10th)
8. TOT (314 points)               (7th)
9. DOT (284 points)              (9th)
10. DT12 (278 points)           (11th)
11. BC&SL (196 points)         (12th)
12. SC (159 points)               (14th)
13. Other (138 points)
14. TA (134 points)               (13th)
15. WDADU (131 points)        (15th)
      View                               (8th)
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #698 on: January 08, 2024, 11:54:07 AM »
I think Kade nailed it with the Harem Scarem reference

???  I don't know what this means.  I feel like maybe I should, but I don't.

It's a Canadian Melodic Rock band I'm a big fan of that he is also familiar with ... and one that Tim hates.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #699 on: January 08, 2024, 11:55:13 AM »
Some tidbits from the 2021-22 countdown:

Albums to get all songs in the top 100:  4 (I&W, Awake, SDOIT, TOT)

Highest ranked song from each album:

- WDADU (5/8) - The Killing Hand (53)
- I&W (8/8) - Learning to Live (1)
- Awake (11/11) - Voices (5)
- FII (6/11) - Trial of Tears (7)
- SFAM (10/12) - Home (8)
- SDOIT (6/6) - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (12)
- TOT (7/7) - In the Name of God (11)
- 8VM (7/8) - Octavarium (3)
- SC (5/7) - In the Presence of Enemies (25)
- BC&SL (4/6) - The Count of Tuscany (14)
- ADTOE (7/9) - Breaking All Illusions (6)
- DT12 (6/9 - Illumination Theory (23)
- TA (10/29 - excludes NOMAC tracks) - A New Beginning (68)
- DOT (5/10) - At Wit's End (20)
- View (not included in countdown)
- Other (3) - A Change of Seasons (2)

We do like much more the epics or what?!
My prediction for the highest ranked song from View is...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)