Author Topic: A real fun "What If??" question to ask (Rick Wakeman and JRR Tolkien's Version)  (Read 4237 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: A real fun "What If??" question to ask
« Reply #105 on: February 15, 2024, 10:37:18 AM »
He was in the same band as literal Elrond.

I have LONG said that the Elrond guy from the movies was a dead ringer for Yessongs era Steve Howe, but that '80s picture might be even closer!
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2024, 12:06:51 PM »
i'm glad my thread became a discussion about Lord of the Rings and Yes, literally two of my favorite things lol
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2024, 02:41:19 PM »
i'm glad my thread became a discussion about Lord of the Rings and Yes, literally two of my favorite things lol

I literally know like ONE Yes song (Owner of a Lonely Heart). It's a good song. Maybe I should see what else these Elves were up to. ✨✨✨

As for LOTR, obsessed would be an understatement. Glad there are others here who share this passion.   

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2024, 02:53:17 PM »

I literally know like ONE Yes song (Owner of a Lonely Heart). It's a good song. Maybe I should see what else these Elves were up to. ✨✨✨

As for LOTR, obsessed would be an understatement. Glad there are others here who share this passion.   

I like 90125 (the album that comes from) a lot! i prefer their 70s output more but you should definitely check them out either way! older stuff will be more proggy and less commercial oriented (tho 90125 deff has some non-commercial stuff on it)

as for LOTR, i just finished a re-read of the trilogy and i think this year i gotta read the Sil again. been too long
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2024, 03:00:40 PM »
Thanks, I just might! ✨

The Silmarillion is actually my favorite book of all time.

Online HOF

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2024, 03:04:59 PM »

Ha, Elrond, er I mean, Steve Howe doesn't even play on that song (Wakeman either for that matter). Check out Close to the Edge.

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2024, 03:17:29 PM »

Ha, Elrond, er I mean, Steve Howe doesn't even play on that song (Wakeman either for that matter). Check out Close to the Edge.

Ok, haha. Now I need to hear Thrandy play those towers of keys ✨ (I became a DT fan initially because of JR, after all). 🤭

Offline pg1067

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2024, 03:27:17 PM »

There were no elves or wizards on the album on which Owner appears.  Fragile or Going for the One might be good starting places for you (shorter and somewhat more accessible songs than Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer - although the Relayer cover has always struck me as very LOTR-ish):

The live album Yessongs might also be a good entry point (as it was for me).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #113 on: February 15, 2024, 03:30:58 PM »
I suddenly really miss wild ranger

:rollin

If this was only a poll...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #114 on: February 15, 2024, 03:38:57 PM »

There were no elves or wizards on the album on which Owner appears.  Fragile or Going for the One might be good starting places for you (shorter and somewhat more accessible songs than Close to the Edge, Tales from Topographic Oceans and Relayer - although the Relayer cover has always struck me as very LOTR-ish):

The live album Yessongs might also be a good entry point (as it was for me).

Awesome, thank you (or should I say Hannon le! ✨)  :D

Online HOF

« Reply #115 on: February 15, 2024, 03:58:59 PM »
Relayer cover is very Tolkien-esque, but alas Wakeman isn't on that album either (though Howe is). Great album regardless though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2024, 05:45:55 AM »
Yes is one of my favorite bands of all time (Going For The One IS my favorite album of all time, and without foreshadowing, let's just say that Chris Squire will be featured prominently on my upcoming Top 25 bassists list); I would start with The Yes Album, myself. 

« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2024, 06:46:38 AM »
Yes albums #Ranked

Tales From Topographic Oceans
Relayer
Close To The Edge
The Yes Album
Fragile
Going For The One
Drama
Fly From Here (2018 Version)
Mirror To The Sky
The Ladder
Keystudio
Magnification
Union
Time And A Word
Tormato
The Quest
Talk
Yes
Big Generator
Open Your Eyes

Live Albums
-
Yesshows
Keys To Ascension
Symphonic Live
Topographic Drama
Songs From Tsongas
Yes 50 Live
Keys To Ascension 2
Yessongs
Live At Monteux
House of Yes
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #118 on: February 16, 2024, 07:27:18 AM »
Another whole universe for me to dive into, apparently! I can see which ones are coming at a high recommendation from fellow DT fans, and that speaks. Thanks again. ✨

Online HOF

« Reply #119 on: February 16, 2024, 07:56:19 AM »
I would like to clarify that 90125 is probably my favorite album with the Yes name on it, but it’s quite different from 70s Yes in sound, style, in lineup, and not a very Tolkien album at all, which is why if you want an album with band members who look like Tolkien characters, I would recommend one of the 70s albums (Fragile, Close to the Edge, Relayer are the best of that bunch for me). But you should still check out 90125 regardless.

;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2024, 08:18:31 AM »
Yes was a HUGE influence on Dream Theater, so I would encourage you to explore their music for that reason if for no other (although there are plenty of other reasons lol).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2024, 08:22:58 AM »
My introduction to Yes was the album Fragile. For a long time it was my #1 by them, but nowadays Close To The Edge has the top spot. Drama is a big favourite as well, although with another singer.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2024, 08:28:21 AM »
I'd like to note that though I put Tales at #1 I agree with most other people NOT recommending it lol. it's definitely a bit heady and not accessible at all really. but i personally love it dearly
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2024, 08:42:46 AM »

You need to fix this. Yes music is pure fantasy!
Here's an album you can start with to seek out: https://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=10750

Not Yes, but the main singer doing a huge tribute to Middle Earth that is based in old Anglo-Saxon music.
If you get more into Yes, you'll see why Anderson would sign on to such a thing. Yes 70s albums are very fantasy-centered, but also Anderson's solo albums.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2024, 09:30:28 AM »
edit. I totally misunderstood the thread. As such I also totally misunderstand every post since. carry on.
-Tof

Offline pg1067

« Reply #125 on: February 16, 2024, 09:33:43 AM »
edit. I totally misunderstood the thread. As such I also totally misunderstand ever post since. carry on.
-Tof

It might happen eventually, but for the first tour, I think there's a better chance of Kevin Moore coming on to do Space-Dye Vest.

« Reply #126 on: February 16, 2024, 10:17:25 AM »
edit. I totally misunderstood the thread. As such I also totally misunderstand every post since. carry on.
-Tof

welcome to the forums!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #127 on: February 16, 2024, 10:28:22 AM »
-Tof
welcome to the forums!
:facepalm:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #128 on: February 16, 2024, 01:02:40 PM »
-Tof
welcome to the forums!
:facepalm:
I'm still waiting for the Cleese-esque sketch to happen :D
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2024, 07:11:03 AM »
**breathes life into killed/dying thread**

Just treated myself to this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmZoQFYYx8U

LORDY! 😱✨ Anyone got a time turner? ✨

*cough*...More capes.

« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2024, 07:15:47 AM »
i love it!! Rick Wakeman and Chris Squire look so good in their flaired/caped fits. it's inspiring, sometimes i wear capes to karaoke
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2024, 07:28:12 AM »
i love it!! Rick Wakeman and Chris Squire look so good in their flaired/caped fits.

Understatement! 🔥✨ 🔥✨ Hehe! 🤭

Definitely King Thranduil. Or maybe Celeborn...

it's inspiring, sometimes i wear capes to karaoke

You don't!  :rollin Interestingly I can see his resemblance to young JR. Now idly wondering whether JR would wear a cape... 🤔 ✨

All joking (and swooning) aside, I can totally see the history and the lineage... I can see where DT gets it from.

i think if any DT member could rock a cape, it'd be JR

here's more wakeman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRfxSLcmx7s
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
i think if any DT member could rock a cape, it'd be JR

here's more wakeman https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRfxSLcmx7s

....!!!!!  ✨😱  I have... no words.. . . 😭

Except that you have elevated my snowed-in Saturday beyond all imagining.

Offline birchbark

Yes is fantastic! Fragile and Close to the Edge are tied as my favorite Yes albums. Also, while I don't remember off the top of my head if any Yes songs were inspired by Tolkien, Close to the Edge was inspired by Herman Hesse's book Siddhartha.

Yes is fantastic! Fragile and Close to the Edge are tied as my favorite Yes albums. Also, while I don't remember off the top of my head if any Yes songs were inspired by Tolkien, Close to the Edge was inspired by Herman Hesse's book Siddhartha.

i didn't know that, really cool! i like that book
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Architeuthis

If it was just a completely different name not related to DT, I would be stoked about that lineup!  I'd buy their albums and go see them live.
I have come to really appreciate Devin Townsend this last year. It would be impossible to go wrong with MP and JR in the Lineup.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
Just want to say how much fun this thread has been. This place is so serious most of the time. We need more lighthearted fun once in a while.  :chill
« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 09:46:06 PM by crystalstars17 »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Just want to say how much fun this thread has been. This place is so serious most of the time. We need more lighthearted fun once in a while.  :chill

Dream Theater Forums is a good place to talk about non-Dream Theater bands! :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
Dream Theater Forums is a good place to talk about non-Dream Theater bands! :lol

But of course...  ;)  :D

Though there is something to be said for staying on topic, I feel that it's all related. We all love music, and love this kind of music specifically. It's good to have a place to commune with like minds. ✨

Editing to add, especially when there's also a love of fantasy involved.  :)