Author Topic: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (#01 Up!)  (Read 64916 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (100-98 Up!)
« Reply #840 on: January 10, 2024, 04:22:44 PM »
Sleeping Giant didn't even come close to ranking for me.  I'm warming to the new album a bit (mainly the few individual songs I like), but this one just leaves me bored, flat and feels uninspired with no real melody for me.  I just don't get it.

TEI came in at number 74.  Great track, ripping metal, good start to the album.  Probably could have been higher to be fair.

STR I had at number 29.  This is easily IMO one of the bands most underrated and underappreciated songs.  I'm a little surprised it came in top 30 but looking at my list, I don't think I'd move it.

Alessandro said it perfectly;

Everything I love about DT is perfectly balanced here and nothing is showed off

YES!

List                                                        Not Ranked         
100                                                    The Gift of Music
99                                                      A New Beginning
98 Constant Motion                             New Millenium
97                                                     Sleeping Giant
94 Our New World
93 This is the Life
88 Vacant
82 Transcending Time
78 Wither
74 The Enemy Inside
71 Forsaken
67 S2N
64 The Looking Glass
58 Afterlife
42 Never Enough
29 Surrender to Reason
20 Behind the Veil

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline JiM-Xtreme

Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (85-83 Up!)
« Reply #841 on: January 10, 2024, 04:33:39 PM »
85. Sleeping Giant - I am surprised and so, so disappointed that this song has ranked this low I can't even begin to tell you. I love it so much, it ranked at 18 for me, the highest of the Mangini era. Also a bit surprised that I wasn't the highest ranker! A 10 minute song but when I listen to it, it doesn't feel anywhere close to that length because of the ride it takes you on. That first guitar riff is so simple, especially for DT, but the fact that it's in 3/4, a not-so-common in rock but still easy to groove to time signature makes it sound fresh and exciting. It also has one of, if not the best choruses of the Mangini era, but rather than simply repeat it twice they completely change the time-feel and key for the second one, and oh my god it works so well, before bringing it home for the ending. I just love the way this song develops - each section flows into the next one so well and there are simply no weak parts. I really can't say enough good things about it. The next song, on the other hand...

84. The Enemy Inside ...I am actually offended that a sufficient number of people rank this higher than Sleeping Giant! I never really liked this one. The riffing is fast, technical and energetic but somehow not particularly innovative or interesting. The vocal melodies are underwhelming. Lyrically, it deals with a subject matter which was already covered to much greater effect in War Inside My Head. The song overall is just too much in-my-face, although this may be consequence of the poor mastering of the album as a whole. Did not make my list.

I was always surprised that this song was picked as the lead single for DT12, I actually think something like The Looking Glass or Surrender to Reason would have been much better representations of the album as a whole. Speaking of which...

83. Surrender To Reason - I really like this one, but surprisingly it missed my top 100 by a few spots, which I suppose just emphasises how much all the songs that are in the top 100 mean to me. It starts off well enough, but it reaches a whole new level  the moment that first verse starts with the acoustic guitar and the vocal, and then there's that chorus... just wow. Love the solo section with the "rock trio" vibe it brings, and of course the suitably epic ending with the "restless angels" lyric... very nice.

I must say the way this is unfolding is very interesting. Looking forward to seeing what tomorrow brings, it would seem its anyone's guess!

Offline WardySI

« Reply #842 on: January 10, 2024, 04:42:38 PM »
Sleeping Giant NR
The Enemy #33
Surrender #90

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #843 on: January 10, 2024, 05:26:48 PM »
85. Sleeping Giant - 43. - This was the easiest song for me to get into on the View and has remained a favorite.  I am still kind of surprised the audience didn't sing
                                      along on the.... Waa oh ah oh....at the shows. The songs on the View are meaty (save TT) and I like that it took a while to digest them.
                                      This gives them staying power. 

84. The Enemy Inside -    Not in the top 100.  I have never liked this song. I listened to this album 3 times before I did the ranking, as I felt I hadn't given some of
                                      the songs enough attention. It didn't help this song, but I Really enjoyed the songs starting at #4.

83. Surrender To Reason - 65 I like it more and more. Isn't it great that a 65th ranked song by a band is still in the category of.. "I love this song".

Offline The Realm

« Reply #844 on: January 10, 2024, 08:35:52 PM »
Sleeping Giant - I ranked this at 67 and pretty surprised it ended this high on my own ranking list! I rarely revisit this album.

The Enemy Inside - as mention by TAC above somewhere this track has aged well. A really good fast metal rocker, the type of song DT does really well. I only ranked this at 80 but could have been higher.

Surrender to Reason - number 85 for me so very close to consensus..

Offline jammindude

« Reply #845 on: January 10, 2024, 10:33:35 PM »
Time to play catch up:

This is the Life - 87

Very enjoyable ballad. I love the song whenever I listen to it, but I don’t reach for it often.

New Millennium - 29

I FREAKING LOVE THIS SONG. The hate this song gets is absolutely criminal, and there’s no way it deserves to be this low. I just don’t get the hate. The lyrics are not any worse than half of all the other DT songs. And the instrumental section is one of the best instrumental breaks they’ve ever done.  This song absolutely smokes!

Constant Motion - DNR

People criticize New Millennium for the lyrics and then let this dreck slide? “Forevermore…into the night…blistering”? Really??? I think I wrote that on my Pee-Chee when I was in middle school!  Ok riff, but otherwise forgettable song from a forgettable album.

Sleeping Giant - DNR

I’m with Wolf on this one. I like most stuff from View, but this manages to be decent but doesn’t really leave you with anything memorable.

The Enemy Inside - 74

This is a great opening to the best MM album. I should have ranked this higher. 

Surrender to Reason - 64

More reasons to love the self titled. Isn’t this the one JM did the lyrics for? I remember that I was disappointed at first and initially thought it was the least best of a really great album, but this was a grower. This song in particular spiked quite a bit during my revisit while compiling this list.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dittomist

« Reply #846 on: January 10, 2024, 10:38:48 PM »
This is the Life- Hmmm, I thought I had placed this somewhere in the '90s but it looks like it barely missed the cut. I was probably just hesitant about having 8 ADTOE songs, as much as I like the album.

New Millennium- 41
Wow, really surprised by all the negativity towards this song. My ranking is probably a bit too generous but I find it to be fun and interesting. I remember being really mystified the first time I heard it because it sounded nothing like Awake or Images and Words, but it grew on me quickly, especially that awesome instrumental section.

Constant Motion- 89
This was the first Dream Theater single I remember being disappointed with at first. I still think the chorus is really weak, but the rest of the song rocks.

Sleeping Giant- 78
My only inclusion from the new album. It does a fantastic job in cheering the listener up after the very boring "Invisible Monster"

The Enemy Inside- 94
It's fairly intense but nothing special

Surrender to Reason- 57
Yeah this one deserved to be higher. It was already a wonderful song, but then the "restless angels" part at the end takes it to a whole other level. This is one of DT's best choruses in my opinion.

Online HOF

Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (88-86 Up!)
« Reply #847 on: January 10, 2024, 10:45:55 PM »
Time to play catch up:

New Millennium - 29

I FREAKING LOVE THIS SONG. The hate this song gets is absolutely criminal, and there’s no way it deserves to be this low. I just don’t get the hate. The lyrics are not any worse than half of all the other DT songs. And the instrumental section is one of the best instrumental breaks they’ve ever done.  This song absolutely smokes!

:tup

New Millennium- 41
Wow, really surprised by all the negativity towards this song. My ranking is probably a bit too generous but I find it to be fun and interesting. I remember being really mystified the first time I heard it because it sounded nothing like Awake or Images and Words, but it grew on me quickly, especially that awesome instrumental section.

Been jamming out to New Millennium all night. This is one of my favorite DT instrumental sections for sure. It's unfortunate you have to tread through the verses to get to it.

I don't even really hate the verses that much. But the instrumental section more than makes up for any issues I have with them.

Offline CanuckChum

• Heart of the Sunrise
« Reply #848 on: January 11, 2024, 12:13:34 AM »
88. This is the Life (29). One of their best ballads for me, I find this engaging all of the way through. It never really feels like a ballad, and I mean that in a good way. There's no feeling of being ready for the next song, I just want to enjoy this one.
87. New Millennium (87). Maybe a bit too long, but it has a unique sound to it. Gotta love that Chapman Stick solo.
86. Constant Motion (Unranked). Unfortunately, this just doesn't work for me. The "obsessive yearning" bridge is interesting, but it ends quickly.
85. Sleeping Giant (54). This took a few listens, but now I quite like it. My favourite part is in the last couple minutes where the choir transitions to the final chorus. That entire instrumental section is great though.
84. The Enemy Inside (68). One of the most energetic songs from the self-titled, the instrumental sections help make it more memorable.
83. Surrender to Reason (78). Pretty solid track, I like both the chorus and the guitar melody immediately following it.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #849 on: January 11, 2024, 06:05:52 AM »
I wonder if at the end we'll get some additional stats for the songs that didn't make it. There has to be quite some songs that didn't make the cut but are in several top 50 lists, right?  :D
I guarantee you my #3 song didn't make the top 100. Probably wouldn't even make the top 125 if the list had been extended.  :omg:
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Dream Theater Top 100 countdown - 2024 Version! (82-80 Up!)
« Reply #850 on: January 11, 2024, 06:51:54 AM »
I missed that Surrender To Reason and The Enemy Inside were actually tied, I made that change in yesterdays update.

82. Only A Matter Of Time
Highest Finish: 5 (Dream Team)
Number of Lists appeared on: 39 (Adami, Animal, Awaken, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, hefdaddy42, Jamesman42, JiM-Xtreme, jingle.boy, JPZealot, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, porcacultor, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, TAC, The Realm, Trav86, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

The best song of WDADU. Immediately liked it and still like it.

81. Awaken The Master
Highest Finish: 12 (Metro)
Number of Lists appeared on: 42 (Animal, Awaken, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, bosk1, CanuckChum, Cool Chris, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, geeeemo, hefdaddy42, jeff_kinsley, JiM-Xtreme, jonny108, KevShmev, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, Lethean, lucasembarbosa, mariner, Metro, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, MustActFastToCoverUp, nobloodyname, Peter Mc, Podaar, ReaperKK, ReaPsTA, Revenge319, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, SwedishGoose, TAC, The Realm, Toro, Trav86, Vmadera00, WardySI, Wim Kruithof)

Kind of a middle of the pack song for me. I don't dislike it, I don't love it, it's good.

80. I Walk Beside You
Highest Finish: 19 (OpenYourEyes311)
Number of Lists appeared on: 47 (Adami, axeman90210, Ben_Jamin, CanuckChum, CharlesPL, Dave_Manchester, devieira73, DragonAttack, Dream Team, DTwwbwMP, energythief, Evermind, Fonzie, hefdaddy42, Jamesman42, jammindude, jeff_kinsley, jingle.boy, jonny108, JPZealot, King Puppies and the Acid Guppies, lightningbolt, lucasembarbosa, mariner, MirrorMask, Mladen, MoraWintersoul, Mosh, nobloodyname, NoFred, OpenYourEyes311, Peter Mc, pg1067, PixelDream, Podaar, porcacultor, Revenge319, romdrums, Setlist Scotty, Stadler, TAC, Trav86, twosuitsluke, WardySI, Wim Kruithof, wolfking, Zydar)

I really liked I Walk Beside you when it first came out but over the years I grew to dislike the song. Didn't make my list.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 07:06:25 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #851 on: January 11, 2024, 06:57:21 AM »
I can confidently say that I Walk Beside You was nowhere near my top 100, much less #12  :lol

Or did I make a mistake on my list?

Number of Lists appeared on: 39

81. Awaken The Master
Number of Lists appeared on: 42

80. I Walk Beside You
Highest Finish: 12 (Vmadera00)
Number of Lists appeared on: 47

OAMOT: NR. It's actually a good song, and on a good day, would make my top 100.

ATM: #43. Really like the chorus and structure of this song. I wish JP would've explored the 8th string a little more but it had a good used for it.

IWBY: NR. Yeah, while a nice song, I never connected with it. If it plays I don't skip it though.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #852 on: January 11, 2024, 06:59:46 AM »

A nice album closer to the debut, I gained a new appreciation for it after watching the Budokan DVD. Somehow it only ranked #86 for me.

81. Awaken The Master

Meh. Did not rank.

80. I Walk Beside You

I really like this one, an uplifting song both in the music and the message/lyrics. I don't understand the hate for it. I had it at an impressive #29.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #853 on: January 11, 2024, 07:06:45 AM »
I can confidently say that I Walk Beside You was nowhere near my top 100, much less #12  :lol

:rollin :rollin

Only A Matter of Time ... 65.  Good closing track.  And probably the only one from WDADU where I prefer Charlie's singing to James'.  It the vocal melodies and pace don't stand up very well in a live setting.

Awaken the Master ... NR

80. I Walk Beside You

I really like this one, an uplifting song both in the music and the message/lyrics. I don't understand the hate for it. I had it at an impressive #29.

I'm right there with you... 32.  This was always one of my favorite tunes from 8vm.  Sure, the U2 love is painfully obvious, and the religiousness of the lyrics can turn some off, but on the whole, I think this is a very good song that would've had immense commercial appeal in some alternate universe.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: January 11, 2024, 07:07:21 AM »

Number of Lists appeared on: 39

81. Awaken The Master
Number of Lists appeared on: 42

80. I Walk Beside You
Highest Finish: 12 (Vmadera00)
Number of Lists appeared on: 47

OAMOT: NR. It's actually a good song, and on a good day, would make my top 100.

ATM: #43. Really like the chorus and structure of this song. I wish JP would've explored the 8th string a little more but it had a good used for it.

IWBY: NR. Yeah, while a nice song, I never connected with it. If it plays I don't skip it though.

You didn't, I fixed it. :lol

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #855 on: January 11, 2024, 07:10:59 AM »
Only a Matter of Time is the only song here that’s even remotely good. Awaken the Master is “look at me, I can play an 8 string” and I Walk Beside is “what if we were U2”
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #856 on: January 11, 2024, 07:11:42 AM »
Only a matter of time was my #44. Looking back on my list, it was my second highest ranked song from the debut. It's fantastically constructed and epic.  :tup

Awaken the master was my #99. There are so many amazing bits throughout this song, but as a whole, it isn't necessarily great. Something about it is missing.

I walk beside you was my #73. The band actually pulled off that 00s pop rock sound well. It's like a crossover between Keane and Coldplay of sorts. Not what I usually want to hear from the guys, but hey, they did nail it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #857 on: January 11, 2024, 07:28:04 AM »
Wow, I liked all 3 of these more than the consensus list.

82 Only A Matter Of Time - I had this ranked at # 59.  I love the music to this one, but the lyrics bring it down.  The lyrical concepts are fine, but the way the lyrics are written, they jam 8 lines worth of lyrics into the space for about 2 lines of lyrics, making it almost impossible to sing.  Just terrible.  But again, the music is fantastic.

81 Awaken The Master - I like this one quite a bit, ranking it at # 38.  This song has badass riffage, and great melodic qualities as well.  It doesn't stretch out for too long.  Just no real weaknesses.  One of my favorites from AVFTTOTW.

80 I Walk Beside You - I have this one at # 53.  Good little song, with good lyrics.  I guess it's not cool enough for some people, but I like it a lot.  Fun fact: my band at the time (I was playing drums) performed this song live before Dream Theater did.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #858 on: January 11, 2024, 07:29:30 AM »
I didn't have time to make a list, but if I had, my top 20 would've been upside down from the masses anyway.

Case in point: "I Walk Beside You" is a top-10 DT song, and on some days, top-5.

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
« Reply #859 on: January 11, 2024, 07:34:34 AM »
Three strikes for me, one because I didn't bother correcting much the Ranker near the bottom, and I'm sorry (Only a Matter of Time), one because it bores me (Awaken the Master), one because it symbolises everything I don't like in the only DT album I really don't like (I Walk Beside You).

The Score so far:

21 - A New Beginning
33 - Surrender to Reason
36 - This Is the Life
45 - Vacant
46 - The Gift of Music
68 - Our New World
71 - Behind the Veil
72 - The Looking Glass

Not Rated: Never Enough, Wither, Afterlife, Forsaken, S2N, Transcending Time, New Millennium, Constant Motion, Sleeping Giant, The Enemy Inside, Only a Matter if Time, Awaken the Master, I Walk Beside You

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #860 on: January 11, 2024, 07:43:54 AM »
  5 Only a Matter of Time
24 This is the Life
26 A New Beginning
31 Afterlife
35 S2N
38 Constant Motion
39 Behind the Veil
40 The Enemy Inside
51 Our New World
54 Wither
57 Surrender to Reason
61 I Walk Beside You
63 Awaken the Master
64 The Looking Glass
68 Sleeping Giant
76 Transcending Time
81 The Gift of Music

Missed the top 100: Never Enough, Vacant, Forsaken, New Millennium
Highest Ranker Of: Only a Matter of Time

Catching up! I missed S2N last round, I really like the way they keep teasing the chorus until it finally hits in full at the end. Love the bass groove and the way JP's solo starts.

Hef, I know you don't like WDADU much so I appreciate your write-up. The pace of the verses is the only letdown; it's Moore's most beautifully melodic song, just tons of great melodies everyone and then they top it off with that awesome crescendo. it's so disappointing that more people won't give this song the attention it deserves. I figured I would be the highest ranker.

All the others also rated: The Enemy Inside is one of their best metal tracks and I very much enjoy Surrender to Reason. The concise song-writing on the self-titled is a big plus for it.

I Walk Beside You: for our anniversary last year, our oldest daughter gave us a framed rendition of the lyrics in the shape of a heart  :tup.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 07:49:49 AM by Dream Team »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #861 on: January 11, 2024, 07:55:48 AM »
Hef, I know you don't like WDADU much so I appreciate your write-up. The pace of the verses is the only letdown; it's Moore's most beautifully melodic song, just tons of great melodies everyone and then they top it off with that awesome crescendo. it's so disappointing that more people won't give this song the attention it deserves. I figured I would be the highest ranker.

I Walk Beside You: for our anniversary last year, our oldest daughter gave us a framed rendition of the lyrics in the shape of a heart  :tup.
Wow, that's cool!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online HOF

« Reply #862 on: January 11, 2024, 08:19:32 AM »
Only A Matter of Time is still probably my favorite song from WDADU. It’s wordy but I’ve always liked the overall execution. Great song.

I Walk Beside You is also really strong tune. The only thing I really like from 8V. I like when DT is more like U2 and less like a crazy prog metal circus.

Don’t know the other song.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #863 on: January 11, 2024, 08:20:53 AM »
Only a Matter is cool, but it still sounds the band maturing their songwriting, even more than a lot of the other songs on WDADU IMO.
I really like a lot Walk Beside You (my #78), it's a DT pop song very well done.
Awaken the Master (my #37) is like a really great re-take of something like The Dark Eternal Night or from Train of Thought, love it!!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Animal

« Reply #864 on: January 11, 2024, 08:22:43 AM »
I missed that Surrender To Reason and The Enemy Inside were actually tied, I made that change in yesterdays update.

Common, next time, you'll be telling us that Raw Dog won this countdown but you missed it... :D

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #865 on: January 11, 2024, 08:25:41 AM »
I Walk Beside You is also really strong tune. The only thing I really like from 8V.

Excuse me?

Offline CharlesPL

« Reply #866 on: January 11, 2024, 08:31:02 AM »
Only A Matter Of Time - 36
Awaken The Master - none
I Walk Beside You - 83

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #867 on: January 11, 2024, 08:32:31 AM »

Common, next time, you'll be telling us that Raw Dog won this countdown but you missed it... :D
Probably not

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #868 on: January 11, 2024, 08:33:08 AM »
I Walk Beside You is also really strong tune. The only thing I really like from 8V.

Excuse me?

You questioning a hot take, is like King correcting someone's spelling.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #869 on: January 11, 2024, 08:34:00 AM »

Excuse me?

lol

Offline Animal

« Reply #870 on: January 11, 2024, 08:35:05 AM »
Only a Matter of Time (39) - One of my immediate favorites from WDADU.

Awaken the Master (72) - I liked this one a lot when AVFTTOTV came out. It has lost a bit of its appeal by now, but still a very solid song.

I Walk Beside You (NR)   This songs is a sonic equivalent of Budweiser beer. It does the job of filling the ears with something that is not terribly offensive. But it is nothing to write home about. Deadeye said it well - "what if we were U2?" DT overdid it with this approach on 8VM and it just feels fake.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #871 on: January 11, 2024, 08:47:43 AM »

Excuse me?

Ecscusse ma?

This is not a hot take, it's certifiable insanity.

Anyway, on to today and only one out of the three.

Only a Matter of Time missed out by landing at #112. In fact, I think I only have one song from the debut in my top 100. It's not a bad song but I was never really able to get past the original singer. instrumentally it's OK, except the drums sound pretty dodgy at times. I like the instrumental break that starts just before the third minute, but it's generally a hard pass for me.

Awaken the Master wasn't much further behind at #121. In hindsight this probably should've ranked higher than OaMoT, but I think it's just that I'm less familiar with it. It still wouldn't have made my top 100, but listening again now it is definitely one of the better songs from View. It's has some nice groovy, heavy bits, and groovy isn't often a word you can use to describe the band.

I Walk Beside ranked fairly high, being from one of my fave DT records (I have noticed a pattern in this, in that my favourite DT songs kinda all come from my highest ranked albums). I mean that if I really like a DT album, then I REALLY like all the songs on said album. There aren't many songs that I like as one offs on a lower ranking album. There are of course a few exceptions.

My ranking so far:

13. Wither
20. Never Enough
29. Constant Motion
30. A New Beginning
35. The Enemy Inside
36. I Walk Beside You
45. The Looking Glass
49. Forsaken
55. Behind the Veil
62. Surrender to Reason
83. This is the Life
86. Our New World
100. New Millennium

Not ranked:

109. Vacant
112. Only a Matter of Time
113. Afterlife
119. Sleeping Giant
121. Awaken the Master
123. Transcending Time
125. S2N
140. The Gift of Music

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #872 on: January 11, 2024, 08:51:29 AM »
Only A Matter of Time is still probably my favorite song from WDADU. It’s wordy but I’ve always liked the overall execution. Great song.

I Walk Beside You is also really strong tune. The only thing I really like from 8V. I like when DT is more like U2 and less like a crazy prog metal circus.

Don’t know the other song.

I'm just the opposite, I prefer it when they sound like themselves instead of some other band. Doubt they'd have many fans left if they'd become U3.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #873 on: January 11, 2024, 08:52:35 AM »
Constant Motion - DNR

People criticize New Millennium for the lyrics and then let this dreck slide? “Forevermore…into the night…blistering”? Really??? I think I wrote that on my Pee-Chee when I was in middle school!  Ok riff, but otherwise forgettable song from a forgettable album.

:rollin  I love your habit of taking something that is pretty awesome, and just quoting it with no explanation and saying something like, "Really???"  As if that somehow makes a case for it somehow NOT being pretty awesome.  :lol  You silly man. 

As for today's songs, again, I'm at the office and don't have my list here with me, but:

82. Only A Matter Of Time - This one did fairly well for me.  By the TOT album cycle, I still was not into WDADU at all.  But live renditions on L@B and WDADRU helped me become familiar with and appreciate this song.  The vocal phrasing is a mess because KM crammed way too many words into way too little space, as was his habit.  But still a pretty good song.  I think it is my second favorite from WDADU, behind...well, I can't say since it has not yet been revealed in the rankings.

81. Awaken The Master - Somewhere high in the bottom quartile, as I recall.  It's a good song, and seeing it live helped me appreciate it.  But while some went ape over the appearance of the JP8 on this song, the riffing often just sounds like a muddy mess to me.  Still a lot of good things going on that makes it a fun listen, but I don't love it as much as many do.  This ranking feels about right to me.

80. I Walk Beside You - Can't remember whether this missed my list or made it and ended up somewhere in the '90s, but you get the picture.  It's not a bad song.  In fact, we played...let's call it "a version of it" in my covers band back before the band even got a chance to on the 8VM tour, and have talked even recently about bringing it back.  But it's one that doesn't have a lot to grab me and make me want to listen again anymore. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online HOF

« Reply #874 on: January 11, 2024, 08:57:14 AM »

Excuse me?

I really didn’t/don’t like Octavarium. It kind of ended my love affair with the band (though in retrospect it was just the last in a series of albums with diminishing returns for me).