Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 131918 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #280 on: October 25, 2023, 11:30:43 AM »
I so hope they play At Wits End with Portnoy....At least....
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #281 on: October 25, 2023, 11:30:54 AM »
Distance Over Time and View From the Top of the World are abysmal, let's call a spade a spade.

You can double down, but for the most part you're on your own here buddy (although I will say that I didn't get the love for D/T, but I don't consider it abysmal.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #282 on: October 25, 2023, 11:32:12 AM »
Now we'll get to see....

The Astonishing in full again... :corn :corn :corn
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline genome

« Reply #283 on: October 25, 2023, 11:32:48 AM »
Not abysmal at all. There's some good stuff on those albums, they just lack a bit of the "magic".

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #284 on: October 25, 2023, 11:33:14 AM »
Obviously this helps for their live shows but I'm far more concerned about song writing. The last two albums have been atrocious so hopefully MP can stop Petrucci and maybe even convince them to hire an outside producer.

Beyond amazed and happy for this but definitely hoping the issues are fixed and the band doesn't stay the same or revert back to where they were when MP left.

Now sure what two atrocious albums you were listening to, but those weren't DT, I'm sure :lol

Seriously, and answering to the bolded, MP himself doesn't like working with outside producers. What we're going to get is the same team from SFAM-BC&SL, just with their own studio and Jimmy T as full time engineer.

I'm as shocked and excited as everybody by the news, but let's try not get our hopes super high from the start before knowing what's really coming. The last we saw from this lineup were SC and Black Clouds, two albums that aren't too popular among people here... and LTE 3 was great, but nothing too far from what we've seen from the guys already. Are some people really expecting them to reinvent the wheel at this stage?

Distance Over Time and View From the Top of the World are abysmal, let's call a spade a spade.

And no one ever dreamed MP would rejoin, and he hasn't been in the band in 13 years. So for you to assume the album will be made a certain way seems bizarre.

I'm just hoping that this decision was made BECAUSE they realized things weren't working. MP helps for sure but isn't a guarantee.

I'm not assuming anything about this album, I'm just saying people shouldn't get huge hopes up. There was a lot of excitement leading up to LTE 3 and it was just that, another LTE album. You have the same main writers here (Petrucci and Rudess) plus Portnoy doing his arrangement thing and that's it. Could they make their next masterpiece? Sure, why not? DT is my favorite band and that won't change, I'm just not expecting them to reinvent the wheel, specially in the studio. I'd love to be proved wrong, just won't get blinded by the shiny new lineup we have now.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #285 on: October 25, 2023, 11:33:18 AM »

I sure hope you're right. We, the long term fans, deserve to hear them again with a great singer before they hang it up for good.

Just... yikes. I wouldn't even know where to start parsing this.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #286 on: October 25, 2023, 11:33:45 AM »
I had to do a double take when the news came up on my feed, because for a second I thought it was a fan-made satire post :eek
not gonna lie i also had a double take over the news, because the photoshop on the official press release was so bad i couldn't believe it was real at first
That was the main reason it looked so fake to me as well :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #287 on: October 25, 2023, 11:33:51 AM »
Not abysmal at all. There's some good stuff on those albums, they just lack a bit of the "magic".

I don't think the albums lack any magic honestly. Opinions I guess.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline MarkFitDT

« Reply #288 on: October 25, 2023, 11:34:11 AM »
Obviously this helps for their live shows but I'm far more concerned about song writing. The last two albums have been atrocious so hopefully MP can stop Petrucci and maybe even convince them to hire an outside producer.

Beyond amazed and happy for this but definitely hoping the issues are fixed and the band doesn't stay the same or revert back to where they were when MP left.

Now sure what two atrocious albums you were listening to, but those weren't DT, I'm sure :lol

Seriously, and answering to the bolded, MP himself doesn't like working with outside producers. What we're going to get is the same team from SFAM-BC&SL, just with their own studio and Jimmy T as full time engineer.

I'm as shocked and excited as everybody by the news, but let's try not get our hopes super high from the start before knowing what's really coming. The last we saw from this lineup were SC and Black Clouds, two albums that aren't too popular among people here... and LTE 3 was great, but nothing too far from what we've seen from the guys already. Are some people really expecting them to reinvent the wheel at this stage?

And no one ever dreamed MP would rejoin, and he hasn't been in the band in 13 years. So for you to assume the album will be made a certain way seems bizarre.

I'm just hoping that this decision was made BECAUSE they realized things weren't working. MP helps for sure but isn't a guarantee.

absolutely ridiculous, no DT album is anywhere near absymal and certainly not those two. Im sure im not the only person that preferred those to Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds which were certainly stale to my ears and bottom of the pile as far as im concerned (yes, i prefer WDADU to those 2)

Offline nick_z

« Reply #289 on: October 25, 2023, 11:35:41 AM »
A little shocked.

A little happy.

A little sad.

Not much to add to what has been said so far, and I kinda feel the same way. I wouldn't even really say "sad", but there's a wee-bit of that bittersweet feeling for Mangini, of course. Although (seemingly) things seem to be ok on all sides. After all, everyone involved is very much a grown-up, so it's very likely this all happened smoothly behind the scenes...

Can't deny I feel some excitement at the prospect of the rekindling of the "old gang", hoping that results in something special.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #290 on: October 25, 2023, 11:36:06 AM »
I don't mean to cast aspersions or anything, but it has come to my attention that you may be a crazy person.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline genome

« Reply #291 on: October 25, 2023, 11:37:40 AM »

I don't think the albums lack any magic honestly. Opinions I guess.

No disrespect at all to Mangini, but for me I think that magic of Dream Theater is the chemistry Portnoy brings to the band, particularly alongside JP. The attitude, the swagger... it's good music but the Mangini stuff lacks that.

YMMV, of course.

Offline Qrusher14242

« Reply #292 on: October 25, 2023, 11:38:18 AM »
Amazing! like Christmas morning. I've followed DT since MP left and have enjoyed some of the albums (DOT was pretty good and most had a few good songs on them) but never really connected with a lot of the material with MM.  I know MM is a fantastic technical drummer but MP was just such a better fit. I really got into the band with SDOIT and nothing MM was apart of came close to it really. Plus the fact that live shows just grew so stale and they never changed the setlist since MP left. I never thought i would see the day. Although since so many of MP's projects had either stalled or ended i wondered what he would do (with SOA ending in a strange way, i guess now we know who didn't want to continue). Can't wait for the new album  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #293 on: October 25, 2023, 11:39:44 AM »
Amazing! like Christmas morning.

Any particular time of morning?

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #294 on: October 25, 2023, 11:40:14 AM »
I don't mean to cast aspersions or anything, but it has come to my attention that you may be a crazy person.

You may be onto something haha...

My opinion on this is that View is my least favorite. But it's objectively not abysmal. And I see all the love it gets from others, so me not liking it as much as the other 14 albums is a me problem.

D/T, on the other hand, is a fantastic record, as were the two that preceded it. Different strokes, mannnn. :hat
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #295 on: October 25, 2023, 11:42:34 AM »
Ya…JPX calling the last 2 albums abysmal gets a huge WTF from me as well. A View is my 2nd favorite Mangini album, and a pretty freakin strong album. If anything, it felt like they are just getting some mojo back and we’re just missing one piece of the puzzle.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #296 on: October 25, 2023, 11:46:21 AM »
Just in case if we are making a survey, D/T and AVFTTOTW are clearly my 2 faves from Mangini era. And I like a lot the other 3. I don't think that DT has lost the "magic" in that era, but I DO think the chemistry between Mike/Jonh/Jordan is truly rare to see around. Something really special.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #297 on: October 25, 2023, 11:48:26 AM »
Just in case if we are making a survey, D/T and AVFTTOTW are clearly my 2 faves from Mangini era. And I like a lot the other 3. I don't think that DT has lost the "magic" in that era, but I DO think the chemistry between Mike/Jonh/Jordan is truly rare to see around. Something really special.

I think this is the main thing here. More than money, or ticket sales, or other members. They felt this chemistry again, just like they did in 1997-98 when they did LTE 1&2, and they just knew. They belong together.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #298 on: October 25, 2023, 11:49:04 AM »

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #299 on: October 25, 2023, 11:50:54 AM »

And their Facebook, too, since that's where I saw it first!

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #300 on: October 25, 2023, 11:51:45 AM »
I would definitely disagree with the one posters assessment. I thought Distance Over Time and A View were pretty amazing records. It really felt like the band/Mangini gelled and produced some great music. Mangini is a great drummer/great guy and I wish him the best  :heart

That being said, I'm psyched to see Dream Theater live with Portnoy again and to see what they come up with on the new record. I never thought this was going to happen, and seeing this group of guys together again is exciting. I kind of wonder how long this was in the works because it did feel on the recent tour like Mangini was kind of detached and not as involved as usual. His playing seemed subdued, his drum kit was smaller, and he didn't really seemed to involve himself with the crowd much.

I wonder if it potentially became a reality after James and Portnoy mended things. Im sure Petrucci and Rudess wanted to play with Portnoy again after doing LTE3 and Portnoy playing with Petrucci on his solo album so it seemed the only one left was James.

Anyways, Onwards and Upwards for the band and best wishes to Mangini  :metal :heart

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #301 on: October 25, 2023, 11:51:52 AM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline coz

« Reply #302 on: October 25, 2023, 11:52:05 AM »
My DT-sense was tingling yesterday while reminiscing about how the whole MP departure/MM transition went down.  Something was telling me that news was about to break out of DTville.   :D

Like others have said, I still don't know how I feel about this. When I first saw the release I had to check if today's date was April 1.  Weren't we told that the previous lineup would be the last for DT?  I feel bad for Mangini, unless it was he who wanted out.
~Carlos
We made a land where crap is king and the good don't last too long.
https://www.last.fm/user/coz2112

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #303 on: October 25, 2023, 11:52:13 AM »

Mike Mangini is out of DT. This isn't false.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #304 on: October 25, 2023, 11:52:20 AM »
A View from the Top of the World freaking rules. :metal To say that Mangini ended his Dream Theater career on a high note would be an understatement.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #305 on: October 25, 2023, 11:52:47 AM »
A View from the Top of the World freaking rules. :metal To say that Mangini ended his Dream Theater career on a high note would be an understatement.

Yeah, this. Totally.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #306 on: October 25, 2023, 11:53:43 AM »
And Mike Portnoy's Instagram... it's true.  I don't know what Billy's talking about, assuming thats even him.  I kind of doubt he's personally messaging people, but who knows.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #307 on: October 25, 2023, 11:54:41 AM »
And Mike Portnoy's Instagram... it's true.  I don't know what Billy's talking about, assuming thats even him.  I kind of doubt he's personally messaging people, but who knows.

Right. Couldn't see the context from Ministro's screenshot.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #308 on: October 25, 2023, 11:54:59 AM »

"Self belief will build a life of legacy".
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline JPX

« Reply #309 on: October 25, 2023, 11:55:57 AM »
Hardly,  DoT is better than a number of MP albums like WDADU, Awake, BCSL.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #310 on: October 25, 2023, 11:56:09 AM »

He has messaged me a couple of times after I have made posts on his FB page.

I take his message as he didn't know MP was rejoining and thought Chad was just talking BS.
Which leads me to believe MP kept it as a secret even for his band mates (TWD)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #311 on: October 25, 2023, 11:57:08 AM »
I take his message as he didn't know MP was rejoining and thought Chad was just talking BS.

I find it amazing that Billy didn't know. And even if he didn't know it was happening, you'd think MP might've dropped him a note that it was about to break.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #312 on: October 25, 2023, 11:58:48 AM »
Billy doesn't seem to be a guy too good at identifying "fake news".

Offline genome

« Reply #313 on: October 25, 2023, 12:00:06 PM »

I find it amazing that Billy didn't know. And even if he didn't know it was happening, you'd think MP might've dropped him a note that it was about to break.

They're on tour literally right now. That might be a bit awkward if he didn't know.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: October 25, 2023, 12:01:28 PM »
Maybe DT asked Portnoy to keep it a secret. I don’t know.