Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 116572 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2023, 09:01:12 AM »
Well I'm late to the party but this is huge! Wow...
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2023, 09:01:25 AM »
the thing that will really matter is if they go back to playing organic, live concerts again. I stopped going to many of them because I found them boring. MP is the difference maker there.
Bingo.

I suspect that will be the case.

And if they do, I will see multiple shows on a tour.

Damn, I'd have loved to have been party to the initial and ongoing discussions between them all regarding MP's re-entry.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Aythesryche

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2023, 09:01:56 AM »
It has been years since I last posted on DTF, but sharing my elation here feels more fitting than on IG. I woke up, reached for my phone on the nightstand, and, with one eye barely open, opened Instagram first for some reason. The first post I see was the picture DT posted with Portnoy. At first, it didn’t register, and I was just staring at it in a daze. Then a jolt of energy hit me. I don’t even need coffee this morning anymore.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #108 on: October 25, 2023, 09:02:35 AM »
HELL YEAH!!!  This is the best 50th birthday present I could’ve asked for!  Welcome back, Mike!!!

HBD & LET'S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :metal

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #109 on: October 25, 2023, 09:03:15 AM »
On the one hand this should mean the drums'll sound better on the next release!

Yeah, I've never been a fan of MM's drum sound on the albums.  Live was much crisper and more powerful.  But it's be interesting to see how the production changes now.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #110 on: October 25, 2023, 09:03:27 AM »
With MP back (still feels weird saying that) I think if DreamSonic does happen again, it’ll be called Progressive Nation.

Progressive Sonic
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #111 on: October 25, 2023, 09:03:38 AM »
Holy hell...well, that just about made my year!

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #112 on: October 25, 2023, 09:04:10 AM »
My mouth has been open for 10 minutes straight. I don't know how to feel. Wow.
-Tof

Can you keep it open for just a few more minutes.. I'm almost done.
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2023, 09:04:29 AM »
Call me crazy, but this feels right.  As much as I really liked most of the output with Mangini, and really liked the last two albums, it feels like the excitement around the band had gone away.  Similar to 2010, this is the adrenaline shot the band needs to get the fanbase worked up again, IMO.

Totally agree and I'd wager that might be part of 'why' this happened.

Mangini is a beast....his drumming is insane and what he gave us in those DT albums was incredible. But there's just no substitute for MP's stage presence and presence in general.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2023, 09:05:32 AM »
To those that understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
EAT MY ASS AND BALLS

:metal

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2023, 09:05:57 AM »
To those that understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
EAT MY ASS AND BALLS
Real ones know

You just won the internet
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2023, 09:06:20 AM »
Not the lineup change I was hoping we'd get considering some issues we discussed here a lot the past tour...

How's bringing MP back going to fix the issue with James' vocals? But those saying this will bring a sales boost are most likely right.

Just... wow.  That's immediately what you focus on, a topic that has been beaten death.  Your 1st thought is "ah man, I was hoping James was gone."

Just... WTF man???

So my opinion doesn't matter here? Haven't we discussed the drum sound, click track, etc. to death already too?

Like I said, I'm excited, but a drummer change isn't going to magically fix those other issues, which just happened on the 2022-2023 tour.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2023, 09:07:07 AM »
I'll got to see damn near any MP project, and this will be no different, but the thing that will really matter is if they go back to playing organic, live concerts again. I stopped going to many of them because I found them boring. MP is the difference maker there.

I finally bit the bullet and saw them on this last tour (twice). Enjoyed it, but yeah, it was a different vibe.

MP brings a lot of excitement back in. What's the setlist going to be? Will the songs be played exactly like the studio versions, or will there be some surprises? And yeah, the whole idea of playing to a click or not also factors in, I think.
I was so excited for the last tour I forgot all about it until a few days after the show.  :lol

Somebody earlier said they hoped they don't let him sing. Whatever you think of his voice (and I like it) it was his singing that really made it a proper, live show. Canned backing tracks are what forced them into the click, and that's what ruined it for me. I'm not sure how much of a say in matters MP will have, there are a lot of unanswered questions, but him singing is almost a guaranteed.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2023, 09:07:16 AM »
Genuinely surprised by this news! I feel for Mangini, but I am intrigued to see how things shake out with Portnoy's return!
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2023, 09:09:45 AM »
Damn, I'd have loved to have been party to the initial and ongoing discussions between them all regarding MP's re-entry.

Maybe they'll release a drummer firing and re-hiring series of videos?

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2023, 09:10:05 AM »
Well, that’s certainly unexpected! Never imagined MP actually returning. First Porcupine Tree, now this, super cool.

I also hope they’ll stop playing to a click track live.. shake it up, make it organic. That’s probably what MP wants I suspect. Can’t imagine him playing those ‘band on rails’ shows.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2023, 09:12:15 AM »
Billy Sheehan and Richie Kotzen just took out an ad for a drummer...maybe they're on the horn with MM?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2023, 09:13:26 AM »
Billy Sheehan and Richie Kotzen just took out an ad for a drummer...maybe they're on the horn with MM?

Yeah,.Marco Minneman and be called The Whiney Dogs
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2023, 09:15:23 AM »
While I haven't been bored when MM joined, I haven't been blown away. I anticipate this will change. While MM is a solid drummer, there was an energy there that really was lacking since he joined, at least in my opinion. MP rejoining will hopefully bring back that energy.

Offline JeopardousRaven

« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2023, 09:15:36 AM »

Maybe they'll release a drummer firing and re-hiring series of videos?

almost spit out my coffee

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2023, 09:15:54 AM »
I'll join in here too. This is super exciting news! (back to lurking for 10 or so years)

Offline Nmilton1

« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2023, 09:16:20 AM »
Not much I can add at this point but WOW..........

Shocked.......never saw this coming!!

Genuinely feel bad for Mangini, I think he really cherished his role in Dream Theater.  I hope he finds his way, he deserves all of the praise in the world!! 

Onward and Upward!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2023, 09:16:49 AM »
Did Mangini leave or get fired?

Gotta say, I'm pumped about this, but I did think that the last two DT albums finally showed Mangini coming into his own. So it is a little unfortunate, at least the timing aspect, that we won't get to see how they grow as a unit further. DT12 and ADTOE were far better to me than the Astonishing or Self-Titled.

I'm talking out my ass here, but I think they asked him to step down. Elements of DT's live shows have been declining over the last decade, and the sales figures of the Dreamsonic tour was probably the writing on the wall. I felt awful for the guys looking at the crowd at the most recent CT show. 

Concerts are all most bands have left to generate revenue, and DT only has a couple years remaining to tour at this level. Having MP back will have a huge impact on the sales next tour.

Brian....I think you've nailed it with your statement. This most likely sells out these 4-6k seat venues they've been playing in the past decade that were at best 75% full....sometimes maybe half full?

The idea behind a refined almost 'perfect' show each night is a good one....and they're technical enough to pull it off. But when MP left they lost that 'feel' and atmosphere that he brings with his playing and presence.

I really liked a lot of what they did with MM because he's an insane drummer and I appreciated the fact that he could play his parts beat for beat like he laid them down in the studio. But, MP is MP for a reason....there's just something he brings to the table that can't be quantified by words or description.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2023, 09:17:13 AM »
this feels like an april fools joke haha

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: October 25, 2023, 09:18:45 AM »
this feels like an april fools joke haha

I honestly thought it was at first too

Offline Pax

• an operator acting over a Hilbert space
  • pianist and music theorist
« Reply #130 on: October 25, 2023, 09:20:19 AM »
holy shiet
!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇F.F.Chopin!̸̶͚͖͖̩̻̩̗͍̮̙̈͊͛̈͒̍̐ͣͩ̋ͨ̓̊̌̈̊́̚͝͠ͅ ̷̧̢̛͖̤̟̺̫̗͚̗͖ͪ̏̔̔̒́ͥ̓ͫ̀ͤ̇ͥ͝ ̡̊͛̇

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #131 on: October 25, 2023, 09:20:57 AM »
WOW indeed!! Sincerely I didn't expect that.
I'm superfan of MM, so I'm also partially sad with the news, it seems like it wasn't a commom decision, as he said “I understand Dream Theater’s decision to get Mike Portnoy back at this time”, and by DT, he was meaning the other guys for sure, though I believe there wasn't any bad blood  here. I think it really is, at least from JP and JR, the immense desire to work with MP again in DT. And I think JM and JLB are at least OK with that. In a way, it's a bit like Derek's situation at the time, with JP and MP wanting very much JR being in the band. Money factor has a part on it? I don't know, it seems like DT was doing well in that departament and I believe at their stage of their lives, there are much more important things to look at and I think that still having more or less 10 years of DT's work ahead, I think it's really great to not let this reunion happens on their last breath.
Thanks for all amazing work with  DT, MM, you are an incredible musician and DID make an wonderfull job in the band!! :heart  :hefdaddy
Welcome back MP to the band, you're always one of my idols and your playing, chemistry and all the work in DT was always fantastic and undeniable!! Anxiously looking forward to the next album (and tour)!! :heart :hefdaddy :corn
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: October 25, 2023, 09:21:36 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKmnlvO47E

this is now back in the band. what a day

Offline chrisgazpacho

« Reply #133 on: October 25, 2023, 09:22:00 AM »
Beyond freakin excited!!  I really felt like this was coming.  Once MP toured with JP it was all over.  The feel and magic and energy is undeniable.  Also, things have been very non-comital in the NMB camp, TA is done, SOA is done with the comments Bumblefoot made. So it just seemed like Mike was not bust at all so it felt like it has happening.  After seeing DT on this last leg, compared to JP's solo tour I really thought and hoped this would happen.  Now for the boys to make a killer album!!    LET'S GO!!!!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: October 25, 2023, 09:22:10 AM »
In all seriousness, Mangini's drumming for Dream Theater, especially on D/T and AVFTTOTW, was nothing short of spectacular.

Don't forget 'The Astonishing'  While that divided a lot of people due to many factors.....if you hone in on MM and just listen to what he's doing on that album it's freaking unreal.

Online geeeemo

« Reply #135 on: October 25, 2023, 09:22:43 AM »
I am coming back for this! Just wow.I love MM. But I found DT in 2016. So I am excited to be following them with Portnoy! I wonder about the relationship with JLB. It was about his vocals, which as much as I will support him and still enjoy them live, is this going to be an issue? His vocals are less than what they were.
I am sorry if this has been commented on. I haven't read many yet.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #136 on: October 25, 2023, 09:22:56 AM »
I did not see this coming.

You know who else didn't?

Carol.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #137 on: October 25, 2023, 09:23:11 AM »

Yeah,.Marco Minneman and be called The Whiney Dogs

Oh snap lol
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2023, 09:24:30 AM »

Carol.

It's an older reference, but it checks out.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #139 on: October 25, 2023, 09:25:26 AM »

Carol.

:rollin
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."