Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 116609 times)

Offline genome

Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #175 on: October 25, 2023, 09:46:17 AM »
Now the endless debate can begin.

Will/should they play Mangini era songs?

Will? Doubtful.

Should? Undoubtedly.

I'd love to hear his take on some of the stuff from DoT

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #176 on: October 25, 2023, 09:46:30 AM »
I do hope they don't ignore the last 5 albums while making the setlists moving forward. MP has been the biggest advocate for playing cover songs with the many bands he's been with through the years, so I don't see why he couldn't "cover" some of the MM era stuff from the band he just rejoined full time.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline clinks63

« Reply #177 on: October 25, 2023, 09:47:16 AM »
thank you MM..

WELCOME BACK MP!
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #178 on: October 25, 2023, 09:48:21 AM »

I doubt they will ignore 5 albums just because. I expect they will still play songs from the MM era fairly frequently. My only concern now is that the chances of seeing Surrender to Reason might be completely gone  :'(

This is my biggest concern. Not whether they'll play the big MM songs like Alien or Bridges in the Sky... but the ones they haven't aired yet. I doubt Out of Reach or S2N or Surrender to Reason would get played before some of the big hitters get the MP stamp of approval.
Right! S2N is another we have yet to hear live.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #179 on: October 25, 2023, 09:51:56 AM »
DT tracks that haven't been played live yet:

- The Best of Times
- Raw Dog
- False Awakening Suite
- Surrender to Reason
- Room 137
- S2N
- Out of Reach
- Viper King
- Transcending Time
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: October 25, 2023, 09:51:58 AM »
this guy in here who won't listen to DT anymore because MP is back is pretty funny. this thread rules.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #181 on: October 25, 2023, 09:52:20 AM »

I doubt they will ignore 5 albums just because. I expect they will still play songs from the MM era fairly frequently. My only concern now is that the chances of seeing Surrender to Reason might be completely gone  :'(

This is my biggest concern. Not whether they'll play the big MM songs like Alien or Bridges in the Sky... but the ones they haven't aired yet. I doubt Out of Reach or S2N or Surrender to Reason would get played before some of the big hitters get the MP stamp of approval.

I think MP would kick some ass on S2N, honestly.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #182 on: October 25, 2023, 09:52:23 AM »
1st tour back: 12 steps in its entirety.  I know MP did it with (IIRC) Haken on a cruise, but now he gets to do it with DT, as he intended, lol

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #183 on: October 25, 2023, 09:52:54 AM »
I'm pretty sure they'll play some MM-era songs now and then - just not a whole lot. Remember than other than stuff from the most recent album, they didn't really feature a whole lot of that material even while Mangini was still in the band. A song like Bridges in the Sky making a comeback on the last tour was more the exception than the rule.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #184 on: October 25, 2023, 09:53:35 AM »
1st tour back: 12 steps in its entirety.  I know MP did it with (IIRC) Haken on a cruise, but now he gets to do it with DT, as he intended, lol

That'll be tough unless they start playing 2+ hours again. Isn't the AA suite almost an hour on its own?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #185 on: October 25, 2023, 09:53:37 AM »
My wife just asked me "What happened? Did someone die?" because I was clicking away (to see if it was real) and didn't realize I was shaking.  I'm pretty stoked for this, honestly. even if it comes completely out of the blue (for me).  I'm not interested in the behind the scenes, or any of that, except out of general curiosity, I just want to see some of that organic magic, five guys having FUN on stage. I just hope that the detente between James and Mike is real, and lasting.  I hope it is, and I think the men are adult enough and seen enough summers at this point to put the unnecessary behind them.  Certainly, though, this doesn't happen without the full acquiescence of JP and so this can't be a lark.  I truth them that it's well thought out and well-discussed.

And while I have sympathy for Mike M., this IS a business, and I don't think you replace ANY original member in ANY band and not have to have a personal reckoning that it could end at any time, no matter how slim the odds.

Ha! My wife literally had the same reaction when she saw me dumbfounded staring at my laptop.

I also agree with the bolded point.

Offline TheRich13

« Reply #186 on: October 25, 2023, 09:55:16 AM »
Perhaps MM wanted this ,maybe he’s just tired, or offered to step down …and this is what set the wheels in motion ?
My parents are in the Iron and Steel business.
My Mother irons and my Father steals.
There are more horse’s asses in the world, than there are horses.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #187 on: October 25, 2023, 09:55:21 AM »
So, cheers everyone! I enjoyed my time here a lot : a lot of nice peeps, others not so nice, but all in all, a pleasure to be part of the community. So, thanx for everything! See ya on the flip side!

B.Lee

Huh?  :huh:

Offline MrMike

« Reply #188 on: October 25, 2023, 09:55:26 AM »
Like others have said, I thought this HAD to be a joke when I first saw it on Facebook.  Mangini seemed like the ultimate team player and the other guys appeared to really adore having him in the band.  His being (evidently) replaced is something I *never* saw coming and I must admit to feeling bad for him even if I've always preferred MP's drumming.

This feels so sudden it's hard NOT to want to read between the lines to understand how it happened.  I'm guessing it was initiated by JP after the great time he had touring with MP again last year.  And this quote says a lot to me - "I know that his return will bring a renewed spirit, passion and energy into DT that all of us, including our fans, will joyfully welcome."  Although loving having MM as a member all these years, it sounds like even he felt that some spark was missing when it came to planning the next step.  The less than fantastic attendance for Dreamsonic probably factored into this as well.

As far as future performances go, I'd like to hear them still play a few MM tunes just to hear MP's take on them.  I can't imagine them NOT playing The Alien again as it obviously has special significance.  My biggest wish is to hear The Glass Prison live or even better, the entire 12 step suite which was never performed as one piece by DT!

It's going to be fascinating to see how this all unfolds over the next year!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #189 on: October 25, 2023, 09:55:36 AM »

That'll be tough unless they start playing 2+ hours again. Isn't the AA suite almost an hour on its own?

He already did a whole tour of that. I'm hoping no more full album anniversaries or 12 step suite tours from DT. Something spanning their whole career for their 40th anniversary would be great, though.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #190 on: October 25, 2023, 09:56:11 AM »

Yeah I don't know if the suite is happening right away but I can only imagine it getting more difficult for them to play. If anything I really just want The Glass Prison on a proper live video release. The Gigantour and other bootlegs are ok.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline messy

« Reply #191 on: October 25, 2023, 09:57:09 AM »
What? What?? What??? :omg:

This is shocking, thrilling, and intriguing. I can't wait to hear how this came about.

I registered for the forum just to post this.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #192 on: October 25, 2023, 09:57:54 AM »

This is shocking, thrilling, and intriguing. I can't wait to hear how this came about.

Welcome! And feel free to stick around, we are a nice bunch for the most part!
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #193 on: October 25, 2023, 09:58:40 AM »

Welcome!

Offline billboy73

« Reply #194 on: October 25, 2023, 10:00:10 AM »
Man, what a surprise to see this happen!  I knew it would happen at some point, but that doesn't lessen the current shock.

MM killed it in the drum throne for Dream Theater, but having MP back just makes me really excited for what's to come!  Cheers to the future of Dream Theater!

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #195 on: October 25, 2023, 10:01:10 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKmnlvO47E

this is now back in the band. what a day

ROOOAAAAARRRRRRRRRR

Some initial thoughts/reactions/random thoughts. Tentatively excited, kinda disappointed. I wasn't crazy about the direction they were going in just before MP left. ADToE was a nice return to form. They had really been hitting a groove on the last couple of albums with MM as well.
The live show has been a bit hit and miss. I didn't mind the click track, honestly. It was the increasing of the video show (films for every single song, no more live shots on screen) and the increasing reliance on backing tracks. Vocals and some guitar.
James' situation doesn't change with this line up. It'll be interesting to see where all of this goes.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #196 on: October 25, 2023, 10:01:49 AM »
"Hey guys, for the 2nd set, let's play all of Misplaced Childhood"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #197 on: October 25, 2023, 10:02:06 AM »

Bacong!

This would be a glorious return, no doubt.

I did not see this coming.

You know who else didn't?

Carol.
LOL

So, cheers everyone! I enjoyed my time here a lot : a lot of nice peeps, others not so nice, but all in all, a pleasure to be part of the community. So, thanx for everything! See ya on the flip side!

B.Lee
???  The fuck??
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #198 on: October 25, 2023, 10:03:29 AM »
It might be worth noting that Berklee's President abruptly stepped down a couple days ago. Being MM's former employer, could that be a coincidence or no?  I, as a drummer, like to think that a Metal Drummer is perfectly suited to run a prestigious college.
-Tof

That would be something and something that can make this move more gracefully for all involved.  In my head space, I would like to think Mangini was offered to a position, even higher than the one he left to be in DT in the first place, and can't refuse this opportunity and everyone all had their talk and everyone decided yep, this is the path we want to go as a band and as people.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #199 on: October 25, 2023, 10:03:58 AM »
I wasn't crazy about the direction they were going in just before MP left. ADToE was a nice return to form.

Well, yes, that's because t was literally I&W.

:corn

Offline faizoff

« Reply #200 on: October 25, 2023, 10:05:52 AM »
We also need another Rich Wilson update on the book now! funny how after such a long time after the release I finally read the book a few months ago.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #201 on: October 25, 2023, 10:06:31 AM »
We also need another Rich Wilson update on the book now! funny how after such a long time after the release I finally read the book a few months ago.

Yeah, cuz now MP can tell him what to write.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anxiety35

« Reply #202 on: October 25, 2023, 10:12:04 AM »
Well, holy cow!

We could have seen this coming with MP doing LTE3 and JP's solo record, but I wasn't getting my hopes up. Then there was the pic with LaBrie indicating they had patched things up. I was most glad about that because relationships matter. Honestly, I didn't think this would ever happen. Maybe a reunion show or a song or two at a gig, but not a full-on return.

Now, bring back the PURPLE MONSTER kit!

As for Mangini, I loved his playing in DT and am thankful for the music that was made. Much respect!

Metropolis Part 3 incoming?

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #203 on: October 25, 2023, 10:13:36 AM »
So Lars Ulrich didn't make it.

I am a little surprised but not shocked. I love Mangini and I love what he's done for the band. Portnoy, on the other hand, can bring the excitement DT lost over the years. That was a fantastic ride with Mangini for sure but I'm also excited to see what will happen with Portnoy.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #204 on: October 25, 2023, 10:13:40 AM »
I wasn't crazy about the direction they were going in just before MP left. ADToE was a nice return to form.

Well, yes, that's because t was literally I&W.

:corn

With a better snare sound and three seven string songs 😁
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #205 on: October 25, 2023, 10:13:50 AM »
Will MP still be part of NMB?

I have been enjoying them immensely both on album and live.

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #206 on: October 25, 2023, 10:15:22 AM »
I really look forward to how this will effect their song writing, especially if they do another concept album. I am hoping this will spark something big like when JR joined the band which lead to Scenes. One can only hope.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: October 25, 2023, 10:15:33 AM »

Bacong!

This would be a glorious return, no doubt.

how are ya?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: October 25, 2023, 10:16:55 AM »
I really look forward to how this will effect their song writing, especially if they do another concept album. I am hoping this will spark something big like when JR joined the band which lead to Scenes. One can only hope.

Yeah, I definitely hope they go into the new album with a "something to prove" mindset similar to when MP left or when JR joined.  Change can be good for that, but who knows.  Exciting times ahead to see what happens.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #209 on: October 25, 2023, 10:17:19 AM »
"Hey guys, for the 2nd set, let's play all of Misplaced Childhood"
Bucket list addition noted.
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs: