Author Topic: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY  (Read 116634 times)

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: DREAM THEATER ANNOUNCE THE RETURN OF DRUMMER MIKE PORTNOY
« Reply #140 on: October 25, 2023, 09:26:24 AM »
i like how i can sparingly come here and still get the inside jokes.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #141 on: October 25, 2023, 09:26:53 AM »
As a lot of you have already said, I don’t know if I’m excited or sad. I’m definitely excited for their next album, as I’m sure the band will be invigorated and refreshed, but honestly I wonder how it’ll be after that. And I definitely feel for MM. Makes sense why he’s been going full stop with his solo album. Definitely makes me want to support that more than ever now. As far as MM era songs go, I imagine he’ll be expected to play The Alien at least. Doubt they’ll stop playing their only song to win a Grammy. lol
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #142 on: October 25, 2023, 09:27:12 AM »
When you think about it, this was inevitable.  Once Portnoy and LaBrie made amends, the final piece was in place for his return, and it was just a matter of time.  The band had shown in the past that they were not above letting someone go (Charlie, Derek) for the greater good of the band.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #143 on: October 25, 2023, 09:27:25 AM »
Had to log on to say WOW as well!

Call me crazy, but this feels right.  As much as I really liked most of the output with Mangini, and really liked the last two albums, it feels like the excitement around the band had gone away.  Similar to 2010, this is the adrenaline shot the band needs to get the fanbase worked up again, IMO.

Exactly.

It’s working because I’ve been more excited about this band in the last 30 mins than I have for the last few years.

This right here.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #144 on: October 25, 2023, 09:27:41 AM »
I was telling my best friend after seeing both legs of this most recent tour that their shows were starting to get boring and stale - major lack of energy from the band and crowd overall, and I wasn’t getting the same fulfillment I usually do from them. It seems the band knew it as well…

Offline Rho d Berth

« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2023, 09:27:50 AM »
Well, that 5 year long break did take quite a bit longer then I imagined.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #146 on: October 25, 2023, 09:27:54 AM »
As a lot of you have already said, I don’t know if I’m excited or sad. I’m definitely excited for their next album, as I’m sure the band will be invigorated and refreshed, but honestly I wonder how it’ll be after that. And I definitely feel for MM. Makes sense why he’s been going full stop with his solo album. Definitely makes me want to support that more than ever now. As far as MM era songs go, I imagine he’ll be expected to play The Alien at least. Doubt they’ll stop playing their only song to win a Grammy. lol

they're all old as shit. i'd say they're done by the time this decade is out. 2 more albums maybe.

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: October 25, 2023, 09:28:35 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BKmnlvO47E

this is now back in the band. what a day

"i can't sing like that anymore"

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #148 on: October 25, 2023, 09:28:40 AM »
Oh my word! Didn't see it coming!
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #149 on: October 25, 2023, 09:29:49 AM »
When you think about it, this was inevitable.  Once Portnoy and LaBrie made amends, the final piece was in place for his return, and it was just a matter of time.  The band had shown in the past that they were not above letting someone go (Charlie, Derek) for the greater good of the band.

Exactly this.

I could never understand how so many posters here kept saying it was never going to happen.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: October 25, 2023, 09:30:04 AM »
Billy Sheehan and Richie Kotzen just took out an ad for a drummer...maybe they're on the horn with MM?

In seriousness, I think MP can do both.  TWD are active this year, but probably not again for another 5 years with the way they operate waiting on Ritchie. 

I was telling my best friend after seeing both legs of this most recent tour that their shows were starting to get boring and stale - major lack of energy from the band and crowd overall, and I wasn’t getting the same fulfillment I usually do from them. It seems the band knew it as well…

I enjoyed the recent shows, but for sure, DT were on a downward spiral. 

If anyone is wondering if MP being back brings excitement, just look at how many DTF members are actively on this page  :lol the board hasn't been this active in awhile.  There's clearly a lot of interest here.  This may be the spark DT needed to course correct the ship.

Offline zappafrank2112

« Reply #151 on: October 25, 2023, 09:30:11 AM »
just a matter of time.

*only a matter of time  :biggrin:

Offline romdrums

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2023, 09:34:01 AM »
I just hope JP has instituted a firm "no spitting" rule now that MP is back in.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2023, 09:37:18 AM »
Well, that 5 year long break did take quite a bit longer then I imagined.

More like a 5-album break!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Thoughtspart3

« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2023, 09:38:12 AM »
This is very exciting. :metal :metal :metal I had always hoped and thought this might happen one day. Seeing them spend more time together recently was a good sign.

Thank you MM for your hard work and dedication!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #155 on: October 25, 2023, 09:38:29 AM »
My wife just asked me "What happened? Did someone die?" because I was clicking away (to see if it was real) and didn't realize I was shaking.  I'm pretty stoked for this, honestly. even if it comes completely out of the blue (for me).  I'm not interested in the behind the scenes, or any of that, except out of general curiosity, I just want to see some of that organic magic, five guys having FUN on stage.  I just hope that the detente between James and Mike is real, and lasting.  I hope it is, and I think the men are adult enough and seen enough summers at this point to put the unnecessary behind them.  Certainly, though, this doesn't happen without the full acquiescence of JP and so this can't be a lark.  I truth them that it's well thought out and well-discussed.

And while I have sympathy for Mike M., this IS a business, and I don't think you replace ANY original member in ANY band and not have to have a personal reckoning that it could end at any time, no matter how slim the odds. 

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #156 on: October 25, 2023, 09:38:39 AM »
Now the endless debate can begin.

Will/should they play Mangini era songs?

Will? Doubtful.

Should? Undoubtedly.

Offline deggs37

• Big Chungus
« Reply #157 on: October 25, 2023, 09:39:05 AM »
I thought I was hallucinating or seeing some weird April fools joke at first. Holy shit I’m so happy for this. I genuinely feel bad for MM as he is such a good dude. But this feels right.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #158 on: October 25, 2023, 09:40:16 AM »
I did not see this coming.

You know who else didn't?

Carol.

Thank god I wasn't drinking water when I read this, I *just* got this laptop  :lol :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline JustJen

• DT.net Veteran
  • May 24, 2004
« Reply #159 on: October 25, 2023, 09:40:27 AM »
I did not see this coming.

You know who else didn't?

Carol.

Ass to ass. ASS TO ASS.

(I think I have part of the Carol thread archived at home on my external hard drive. I will have to check when I'm back.)
  ~ a.k.a. VFS in a past life :vfs:

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2023, 09:40:56 AM »
OK, this is me officially stopping listening to DT. It was a fun ride over the last 30 years, but now is time for me to move on. Saw them for the last time in April 2022 and I knew then it was it, didn't just know the reason.  NOw, it's clearer for me.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline JPX

« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2023, 09:41:04 AM »

Will? Doubtful.

Should? Undoubtedly.

Knowing Mikes personality, it took a huge amount of humilty for him to come back. If he's willing to do that I don't see why he wouldn't play Mangini songs either.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2023, 09:41:21 AM »
Perhaps a bit too overdramatic, but just as stunned as in September 2010

312 guest and beaucoup members here at the time.....
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline tofee35

« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2023, 09:41:32 AM »
It might be worth noting that Berklee's President abruptly stepped down a couple days ago. Being MM's former employer, could that be a coincidence or no?  I, as a drummer, like to think that a Metal Drummer is perfectly suited to run a prestigious college.
-Tof

Offline faizoff

« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2023, 09:41:44 AM »
I think they will definitely play songs from the MM era, though might be just a few at first.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline JPX

« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2023, 09:41:57 AM »
OK, this is me officially stopping listening to DT. It was a fun ride over the last 30 years, but now is time for me to move on. Saw them for the last time in April 2022 and I knew then it was it, didn't just know the reason.  NOw, it's clearer for me.

B.Lee

lol u wut m8

Online HOF

« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2023, 09:42:19 AM »

Will? Doubtful.

Should? Undoubtedly.

That’s a large chunk of recent history to just ignore altogether. No idea what they’ll do but I could see MP being game to try a few. Maybe he’ll just try to put his own stamp on them. But then again, I’m not sure how many songs from the MM era are considered setlist essentials by DT fans (I’m sure there are some, I just don’t know one way or the other).

Offline Knguros

« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2023, 09:42:49 AM »
This story ends where it began…

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2023, 09:43:15 AM »
It might be worth noting that Berklee's President abruptly stepped down a couple days ago. Being MM's former employer, could that be a coincidence or no?  I, as a drummer, like to think that a Metal Drummer is perfectly suited to run a prestigious college.
-Tof

It's funny, because that was always in the back of my mind; does Mike M. miss the teaching? I think I even gave that question when Rodrigo (I think) asked for questions for his interview with Mike.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2023, 09:43:22 AM »

Will? Doubtful.

Should? Undoubtedly.
I doubt they will ignore 5 albums just because. I expect they will still play songs from the MM era fairly frequently. My only concern now is that the chances of seeing Surrender to Reason might be completely gone  :'(
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2023, 09:43:25 AM »
So, cheers everyone! I enjoyed my time here a lot : a lot of nice peeps, others not so nice, but all in all, a pleasure to be part of the community. So, thanx for everything! See ya on the flip side!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2023, 09:43:31 AM »
It might be worth noting that Berklee's President abruptly stepped down a couple days ago.

I saw that. Also, Lee Berk just died too.

Apparently noone noticed when the Dream Theater part was removed from his Youtube bio?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2023, 09:44:11 AM »

Will? Doubtful.

Should? Undoubtedly.

That’s a large chunk of recent history to just ignore altogether. No idea what they’ll do but I could see MP being game to try a few. Maybe he’ll just try to put his own stamp on them. But then again, I’m not sure how many songs from the MM era are considered setlist essentials by DT fans (I’m sure there are some, I just don’t know one way or the other).

With Mike's passion for covers and playing other music - Twisted, for one, Metal Allegiance for another - I can't imagine any scenario where they don't play them, at least not because of "the drummer". 

Offline JPX

« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2023, 09:44:19 AM »

Breaking All Illusions
Untethered Angel
The Alien

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2023, 09:45:39 AM »

I doubt they will ignore 5 albums just because. I expect they will still play songs from the MM era fairly frequently. My only concern now is that the chances of seeing Surrender to Reason might be completely gone  :'(

This is my biggest concern. Not whether they'll play the big MM songs like Alien or Bridges in the Sky... but the ones they haven't aired yet. I doubt Out of Reach or S2N or Surrender to Reason would get played before some of the big hitters get the MP stamp of approval.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.