Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 122456 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts
« Reply #2380 on: May 16, 2024, 08:45:53 AM »
Having their own studio helps them mostly with the recording, storage and the occasional band rehearsal every once in a while, but since they usually hire external people to mix and master their albums (and that's what they did with A View), it doesn't help too much for that.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #2381 on: May 16, 2024, 10:17:55 AM »
Having their own studio helps them mostly with the recording, storage and the occasional band rehearsal every once in a while, but since they usually hire external people to mix and master their albums (and that's what they did with A View), it doesn't help too much for that.

Don't want to be a pain in the ass, but(t) is mixer Jimmy T not already working with JP on the album at DTHQ? So on the mixing side they do seem to win some time (ever since they have DTHQ).
And because of this time win with the mixing they can go faster into the mastering phase. And thus those last phases can follow up each other faster and there is less time needed between recording and finishing up/releasing than before.

This is just a guess. If I were still a music journalist this would definitely be a question I would have asked.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2382 on: May 16, 2024, 10:26:34 AM »
Don't want to be a pain in the ass, but(t) is mixer Jimmy T not already working with JP on the album at DTHQ? So on the mixing side they do seem to win some time (ever since they have DTHQ).
And because of this time win with the mixing they can go faster into the mastering phase. And thus those last phases can follow up each other faster and there is less time needed between recording and finishing up/releasing than before.

This is just a guess. If I were still a music journalist this would definitely be a question I would have asked.

Jimmy T works for them as their studio engineer, but he isn't the main mixer for their albums. IIRC, he's only mixed Distant Memories and The Holiday Spirit Carries On.

For the albums they've recorded at DTHQ, two have been mixed by Andy Sneap (TV and AVFTTOTW) and one by Rich Mouser (LTE3). They could totally have him work on that too, but it hasn't been the case before.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #2383 on: May 16, 2024, 10:54:43 AM »
Jimmy T works for them as their studio engineer, but he isn't the main mixer for their albums. IIRC, he's only mixed Distant Memories and The Holiday Spirit Carries On.

For the albums they've recorded at DTHQ, two have been mixed by Andy Sneap (TV and AVFTTOTW) and one by Rich Mouser (LTE3). They could totally have him work on that too, but it hasn't been the case before.

Of course. That's right. How could I forget. I stand corrected.

But these guys know what they do. So still no worries on that front.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2384 on: May 16, 2024, 11:11:46 AM »
Speaking of Andy Sneap, it looks like Judas Priest is off the road for a few months as of July 24th.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2385 on: May 16, 2024, 12:40:14 PM »
With you on this.

I know they won't do it but it would be great. Leave the singles to Taylor Swift.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #2386 on: May 16, 2024, 12:45:29 PM »
They’re still on InsideOut right? Expect at least 3 singles.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2387 on: May 16, 2024, 12:51:34 PM »
i'm actually expecting a multi-part documentary series first, about the writing/recording and everything leading up to the album release and tour

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2388 on: May 16, 2024, 01:05:46 PM »
i'm actually expecting a multi-part documentary series first, about the writing/recording and everything leading up to the album release and tour

I also expect this album to be their swansong.

Offline Schurftkut

« Reply #2389 on: May 16, 2024, 01:10:54 PM »
you think they fly Boeing?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2390 on: May 16, 2024, 01:16:42 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2391 on: May 16, 2024, 01:40:12 PM »
I also expect this album to be their swansong.

You do? Why?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2392 on: May 16, 2024, 01:47:14 PM »
You do? Why?

It just makes sense. Why would they ask Portnoy back this late in their career and why all of a sudden would Mangini get "fired"? AND how much more touring can James do?.I predict when the album is announced, they will announce a farewell tour.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2393 on: May 16, 2024, 01:51:53 PM »
It just makes sense. Why would they ask Portnoy back this late in their career and why all of a sudden would Mangini get "fired"? AND how much more touring can James do?.I predict when the album is announced, they will announce a farewell tour.

Interesting. We'll see. In a way, I'm not wicked worried about James. It'll be interesting to see how many more years that Jordan wants to tour. I hope this isn't their last album, and I'll be totally shocked if it is. I don't see any slowdown in JP.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2394 on: May 16, 2024, 01:53:59 PM »
Interesting. We'll see. In a way, I'm not wicked worried about James. It'll be interesting to see how many more years that Jordan wants to tour. I hope this isn't their last album, and I'll be totally shocked if it is. I don't see any slowdown in JP.

JP is a machine! I see a lot of solo projects in his future. I would love to see John get to work with other musicians and vocalists.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2395 on: May 16, 2024, 02:03:02 PM »

JP is a machine! I see a lot of solo projects in his future. I would love to see John get to work with other musicians and vocalists.

I hate projects. I prefer bands.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2396 on: May 16, 2024, 02:08:45 PM »

It's possible.  I wouldn't be surprised if they are treating it as "the last" because maybe it will be due to age and an unpredictable future in 3 years from now.  But I'd put money on at least one more album.  Of course, if JLB comes out in London and can't sing, maybe I start to think you are right.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2397 on: May 16, 2024, 02:21:39 PM »
They can fire Tony Levin from LTE and replace him with Myung, then make that their new main band. :neverusethis:

In all seriousness though, I don't buy for a second this will be their last album. That would totally squander the momentum and attention gained from bringing Portnoy back - it just makes sense to ride that out for two or three albums at least.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2398 on: May 16, 2024, 06:00:10 PM »
I don't think this will be their last, but they're getting close. I still think that being closer to retirement age is a lot of what pushed them to reunite with Portnoy, but if they're enjoying the process as much as they are making it look on social media I bet they'll try to get at least 2 more albums in.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2399 on: May 16, 2024, 08:55:24 PM »
I thought they made it abundantly clear they had no plans on stopping any time soon. Not sure how anyone could infer that meant one album and done  ???.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2400 on: May 16, 2024, 09:34:03 PM »
 I'm not rooting for a farewell, but as much as I loved View, they are becoming clones of themselves, what's left? The sponge is fully rung out.

I'm already bored of the new album and its not even done yet.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2401 on: May 16, 2024, 09:34:58 PM »

Do you need a Snickers?

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2402 on: May 16, 2024, 09:35:43 PM »
Do you need a Snickers?

And a Happy Meal.

Offline Progmaniac1988

« Reply #2403 on: May 17, 2024, 05:52:39 AM »
I'm not rooting for a farewell, but as much as I loved View, they are becoming clones of themselves, what's left? The sponge is fully rung out.

“You really are a funny guy!”

Offline Progmaniac1988

« Reply #2404 on: May 17, 2024, 05:58:43 AM »
I expect at least one more album after this album and tour. 2 more max, but who knows they may really blow our socks off with this one and have some more albums left in them! Maybe they will become more of a studio band and tour less? They have enough fans that we’d all buy their releases even with less tours.

Offline emtee

« Reply #2405 on: May 17, 2024, 06:09:21 AM »
Nothing would surprise me at this point in their career. If there had been a band meeting about retirement, even with the excitement of the reunion, I think we would have seen or sensed something in their tone or mood. I get the sense that it's not one and done.

A scenario that seems more plausible is that 1 member - could be any of them - said, 'I've only got one tour left in me' and this prompted the reunion. Doubtful but who knows. And in this scenario, if the others felt like continuing, the retiring member would have to be replaced.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts
« Reply #2406 on: May 17, 2024, 07:30:29 AM »
I thought they made it abundantly clear they had no plans on stopping any time soon. Not sure how anyone could infer that meant one album and done  ???.

The only time bands ever announce or hint at things like this is when they want to sell Farewell Tours. But I agree that this won't be their last album. Probably only 2-3 left in the tank though, if I had to guess.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2407 on: May 17, 2024, 07:47:33 AM »
Do you need a Snickers?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFJXxioV2vw

Nothing would surprise me at this point in their career. If there had been a band meeting about retirement, even with the excitement of the reunion, I think we would have seen or sensed something in their tone or mood. I get the sense that it's not one and done.

A scenario that seems more plausible is that 1 member - could be any of them - said, 'I've only got one tour left in me' and this prompted the reunion. Doubtful but who knows. And in this scenario, if the others felt like continuing, the retiring member would have to be replaced.
Agreed. This quote from the Rolling Stone interview suggests that this upcoming tour is not it, either:
Mike, are there songs from the Mangini albums they made without you that you’d like to play live?

Petrucci: I don’t think he knows any of them. [All laugh].

Portnoy: One of the things we discussed with me coming back was about set lists for future tours.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2408 on: May 17, 2024, 08:36:49 AM »
*snip* wrong post
« Last Edit: May 17, 2024, 10:15:10 AM by TheHoveringSojourn808 »
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2409 on: May 17, 2024, 09:30:29 AM »
My prediction has always been: This album for the 40th, which is exciting. Next album, which doesn't have quite the same energy and everyone kind of realizes it's time. Final album and farewell tour around 2030.

In other words... That won't happen. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2410 on: May 17, 2024, 09:42:30 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2412 on: May 17, 2024, 11:56:30 AM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2413 on: May 17, 2024, 12:01:20 PM »
I hate projects. I prefer bands.

???

Well, hate is a bit strong, but in general, I prefer to follow bands than a musician going from project to project. One-off things don't really appeal to me.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2414 on: May 17, 2024, 12:03:19 PM »

???

Well, hate is a bit strong, but in general, I prefer to follow bands than a musician going from project to project. One-off things don't really appeal to me.

Did you like Madmen and Sinners?