Author Topic: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#01 revealed!!)  (Read 33078 times)

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#13 featured!)
« Reply #665 on: June 11, 2023, 03:04:47 PM »
Moving on...

13 Fly by Night

Highest Finish: 2 (nobloodyname)
Lowest Finish: 18 (Mladen, jingle.boy, DTA, faizoff, Lethean)

This one ranked 14th for me.  Definitely my favorite of the first three, thanks in large part to Side 1. I can only imagine what existing Rush fans thought in 1975 when this came out and they heard the new drummer Neil Peart’s playing at the start of Anthem. It had to be a major “woah” moment.  Interesting that the title track held up as one of their classic rock radio mainstays for so long, considering it was never played by the band again after the 70s.  Solid tune, but not a standout.  Anyway, good album.

Favorite songs: By-Tor and the Snow Dog, Anthem, Beneath, Between and Behind and Making Memories

Oh, ffs.  I had FBN at #6.  The idea that HYF and CA are going to finish higher than FBN is shocking.  FBN could be nothing but By-Tor, and it'd be better than HYF and CA.  Anthem, BB&B, By-Tor, the title track, Making Memories, and In the End are all top notch songs.  The only real stumble here is Rivendell.

19  Roll the Bones (14)
18  ??
17  ??
16  Snakes & Arrows (18)
15  ??
14  ??
13  Test for Echo (16)
12  Rush (19)
11  ??
10  ??
9  Caress of Steel (17)
8  Vapor Trails (15)
7  ??
Fly by Night (13)
5  ??
4  ??
3  ??
2  ??
1  ??
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline pg1067

Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#14 featured!)
« Reply #666 on: June 11, 2023, 03:10:48 PM »
I am going to generalize here for a moment :P and submit that any fan who doesn't love Dreamline probably never saw Rush live because I don't think it's possible to have seen that song performed live and not thought it was great.

I was at that tour. I don't remember it not being great live but I always loved the song . The show kicked major ass.

Yeah...that's a weird generalization.  I saw Dreamline played at nine different shows between 1992-2012.  It was fine.  Nothing special - especially when the setlists expanded and they were playing so many great songs.  It paled in comparison.

It was received by most fans as a great opener for the shows.  Not a generalization at all.

Kev expressly said he was generalizing, and it was only an opener on the Counterparts and T4E tours.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #667 on: June 11, 2023, 03:18:07 PM »
Moving on...

13 Fly by Night

This one ranked 14th for me.  Definitely my favorite of the first three, thanks in large part to Side 1. I can only imagine what existing Rush fans thought in 1975 when this came out and they heard the new drummer Neil Peart’s playing at the start of Anthem. It had to be a major “woah” moment.  Interesting that the title track held up as one of their classic rock radio mainstays for so long, considering it was never played by the band again after the 70s.  Solid tune, but not a standout.  Anyway, good album.

Favorite songs: By-Tor and the Snow Dog, Anthem, Beneath, Between and Behind and Making Memories

Oh, ffs.  I had FBN at #6.  The idea that HYF and CA are going to finish higher than FBN is shocking.  FBN could be nothing but By-Tor, and it'd be better than HYF and CA.  Anthem, BB&B, By-Tor, the title track, Making Memories, and In the End are all top notch songs.  The only real stumble here is Rivendell.

It's more shocking that you are shocked to find people have differing opinions on Rush's discography. Their output is so varied that people are bound to like certain eras more than others or albums you dislike they may find to be top notch. :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online HOF

« Reply #668 on: June 11, 2023, 03:46:47 PM »
Moving on...

13 Fly by Night

It's more shocking that you are shocked to find people have differing opinions on Rush's discography. Their output is so varied that people are bound to like certain eras more than others or albums you dislike they may find to be top notch. :corn

Yeah, I just don’t think many people listen to Rush for the type of material on FBN. I like it well enough, but if it weren’t a Rush album, I doubt I would own it.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #669 on: June 11, 2023, 03:49:23 PM »
Exit Stage Left epitomizes Rush to me.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #670 on: June 11, 2023, 03:57:42 PM »
I am going to generalize here for a moment :P and submit that any fan who doesn't love Dreamline probably never saw Rush live because I don't think it's possible to have seen that song performed live and not thought it was great.

I was at that tour. I don't remember it not being great live but I always loved the song . The show kicked major ass.

Yeah...that's a weird generalization.  I saw Dreamline played at nine different shows between 1992-2012.  It was fine.  Nothing special - especially when the setlists expanded and they were playing so many great songs.  It paled in comparison.

It was received by most fans as a great opener for the shows.  Not a generalization at all.

Kev expressly said he was generalizing, and it was only an opener on the Counterparts and T4E tours.

Correct, but it was an excellent opener despite your feelings towards the song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #671 on: June 11, 2023, 03:59:09 PM »
I am fairly puzzled that seem so outraged at these rankings thus far.  I mean, it you want a list based on what you think the order should be, then wait till I'm done and count them down in your order, FFS.  Good grief.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #672 on: June 11, 2023, 03:59:14 PM »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: June 11, 2023, 04:16:09 PM »
Many a night I did that to myself. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online The Realm

« Reply #674 on: June 11, 2023, 04:17:09 PM »
Fly By Night - my rank 10. Definitely my favourite of the first 3 albums. This album has a great vibe and I just really like the songs, it's an easy listen.

I'm not surprised this album has turned up now, I think what is more interesting is what the next couple of albums in the countdown will be...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #675 on: June 11, 2023, 04:19:47 PM »
Fly By Night - my rank 10. Definitely my favourite of the first 3 albums. This album has a great vibe and I just really like the songs, it's an easy listen.

I'm not surprised this album has turned up now, I think what is more interesting is what the next couple of albums in the countdown will be...

Rest assured that no matter what they are, some will bitch the live long day about how they are too high or too low.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #676 on: June 11, 2023, 04:28:43 PM »

Oh, ffs.  I had FBN at #6.  The idea that HYF and CA are going to finish higher than FBN is shocking.   

How is it shocking?  (turns on smartass mode) Have you paid attention at all in the Rush threads over the years? (turns off smartass mode) The first three albums are rarely talked about here, and this countdown is a reflection of this forum, or more specifically the people who submitted a list, so it should be no shock that all finished pretty low, including Fly by Night. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #677 on: June 11, 2023, 04:44:37 PM »
I am fairly puzzled that seem so outraged at these rankings thus far.  I mean, it you want a list based on what you think the order should be, then wait till I'm done and count them down in your order, FFS.  Good grief.

I'm just puzzled that I'm obviously so far outside the norm here.  That's all.  And yes, I've paid attention, including the recent discussion of ranking the first four albums against each other.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #678 on: June 11, 2023, 05:00:43 PM »
Pg, there are definitely more that agree with you not on this forum.   

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: June 11, 2023, 05:06:24 PM »

Ah, so this is where Pizza Death got their name from!  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#16 featured!)
« Reply #680 on: June 12, 2023, 02:39:14 AM »
Little update now I’ve caught up with a few more of these. I’m going to give the top 2 a second spin, as I enjoyed them more than anything else.

1. Fly By Night
2. Caress of Steel

3. Snakes and Arrows
4. Rush
5. Roll the Bones
6. Vapor Trails
7. Test for Echo

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#12 featured!)
« Reply #681 on: June 12, 2023, 06:02:46 AM »
Brace yourself for a whole lotta complaining...:P :lol

12 Hold Your Fire

Highest Finish: 3 (Dittomist, DTA)
Lowest Finish: 19 (Samsara, Cool Chris)

This is another I love, warts and all.  The sound if it is a bit weird, with it being so high and tinny, and some of the more rocking parts sounding so, as Neil once called it, crash-bangy, so I get why it is a tough one for a lot of fans, but I feel that the songwriting is excellent.  Mission is one of their best songs ever, and most of the rest varies from very good to great.  Geddy once said this album sounded romantic, and I think that's a good description.  For better or worse, there is no other Rush album that sounds like this one.  I ranked this 9th, and I stand by it.

Favorite songs: Mission, Prime Mover, Turn the Page, Open Secrets, Time Stand Still

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #682 on: June 12, 2023, 06:09:53 AM »
When I replaced all my original Rush CDs with the remasters, the remastered HYF did indeed sound tinny. I really wish I'd held on to the original CD as it sounded so much better than the remaster. Every other album was an improvement.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #683 on: June 12, 2023, 06:16:21 AM »
How can this album be 19th for a couple of people in a world where ********** exists?

Time Stand Still. Sigh. One of my favourite songs of all time. Although I prefer my acoustic version to Rush's original :coolio

Edit: removed album name just in case it fell foul of The Rules.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #684 on: June 12, 2023, 06:28:56 AM »
#15 for me.  Highlights are Force 10 Mission and my favorite album cut from this album is Open Secrets.  The ending of the song stemmed from a jam session during soundcheck on the Power Windows tour. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #685 on: June 12, 2023, 06:34:34 AM »
12 Hold Your Fire

01   ?
02   ?
03   ?
04   ?
05   ?
06   Caress Of Steel
07   ?
08   ?
09   Fly By Night
10   Vapor Trails
11   ?
12   ?
13   ?
14   Hold Your Fire
15   ?
16   Test For Echo
17   Snakes & Arrows
18   Roll The Bones
19   Rush

HYF missed my bottom five, just barely, on the strength of songs like "Force Ten", "Time Stand Still" and "Mission, but I'd say as a whole, the album is only mostly good.

Also, just realized that their 12th album has placed 12th overall and now there's a pattern forming...

19 Rush
18 Snakes & Arrows
17 Caress Of Steel
16 Test For Echo
15 Vapor Trails
14 Roll The Bones
13 Fly By Night
12 Hold Your Fire

Every other album so far has placed in its release order. I'll be really surprised if GUP ends up tenth (not because of its placement being too high/low but because it would continue this pattern).

-Marc.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 06:49:00 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline DTA

« Reply #686 on: June 12, 2023, 06:48:23 AM »
My love for 80’s Rush is unmatched. HYF has at least 7 songs that could be my favorite Rush song on any given day which is probably more than any other album of theirs. I love the vocals, lyrics, and playing from everyone. The bass and drums on here are Geddy and Neil at their peak imo.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #687 on: June 12, 2023, 06:50:02 AM »

12 Hold Your Fire

#13 for me. I do like this album a lot, though admittedly when I started my journey with Rush's albums this phase of the band was a bit difficult to get into at first. Time Stand Still, and Lock And Key are some of my favorite Rush tracks.

I have the Red Sector 3 version of this album and apparently, there are some very small differences between the original release and this version. I don't think it's that' obvious, only way I found out about is through some angry posts on some Rush forum I read a while back.

19. Caress of Steel
18. Fly by Night
17. Vapor Trails
16. Rush
14. Test For Echo
13. Hold Your Fire
11. Roll The Bones
10. Snakes & Arrows
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online HOF

« Reply #688 on: June 12, 2023, 07:04:38 AM »
I had Hold Your Fire at 9, just above Roll the Bones, and my feelings about both albums are similar. Some really great, favorite Rush songs surrounded by some stinkers. But on the whole I think it is a stronger album with better production than RTB. For a long time I found it to be a disappointing follow up to the immaculate Power Windows. Seemed like the same general sound and style but with lesser songs, and that’s still true. But I’ve come to appreciate it on it’s own merits more over time, and it’s now one that I hold in fairly high regard just below the other greats from the 80s/synth era.

To get them out of the way up front, the stinkers for me are Second Nature, Lock and Key, and Tai Shan, with Turn the Page dangerously close to that zone.

But Force Ten, Time Stand Still, and Mission have been favorite Rush tracks since I was first introduced to them on Retrospective II. Open Secrets and Prime Mover are also good to great tracks which strongly evoke Power Windows (with the middle section of Prime Mover apparently being a reference to the kid on the cover of Power Windows). I also think High Water is a great track, somewhat similar to Mystic Rhythms, or maybe more like a So-Us era Peter Gabriel track. It’s an underrated Rush tune I think.

So there are 6 good to great tracks here, and 4 shaky to stinky tracks here. But overall I think the stronger tracks carry the day. I also really like the red album cover. Kind of a bold departure from anything they’d done before. The minimalism is cool.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 07:19:12 AM by HOF »

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #689 on: June 12, 2023, 07:09:26 AM »
11th for me.  For me, this one greatly benefits from the live (ie, A Show of Hands) versions of Mission and Turn The Page.  I got really 'in' to Rush in '89, and with the release of ASOH, both the audio and video got tons of play time.  I also spun the shit out of Chronicles, so Force 10 and Time Stand Still are naturally faves as well (let's disregard the fact that the video of TST exists).

Sadly, it's also hampered by the duds of Open Secrets (sorry, King), and Tai Shan.  Not bad songs by any means, just the least good - which puts it at 11.  On any given day, I could rate this as high as 8th.

But last ... I mean, c'mon.  I get it, TASTESTM and all, but this is surprising.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #690 on: June 12, 2023, 07:35:13 AM »
I reckon I will be on an island with this one, but I think Tai Shan is not nearly as bad as most fans think. No, it's not a standout, but it's an enjoyable song with nice melodies.  When I think of the worst/least best songs the band has ever done, that one doesn't enter the conversation for me.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #691 on: June 12, 2023, 07:38:40 AM »
I had this album at #13. I used to really dislike it aside from a song or two, but it keeps growing on me. The less I listen to the early Rush albums, the more I listen to this one. Prime mover, Time stands still, Lock and key and Force ten are all fantastic. There are a couple more tunes I find under-appreciated. Mission is actually the one that never clicked with me.

Also, Tai Shan is average at worst. It's not the hideous monster people make it out to be.  :lol

There might be a drop in quality compared to its predecessors and it might be less creative than its successor, but it's still pretty good. Good to see Hold your fire this high up in the list. :tup

I am also glad that a certain album I truly love and find underrated hasn't come up yet. I'll be happy to probably discuss it tomorrow.  ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: June 12, 2023, 07:55:29 AM »
11th for me.  For me, this one greatly benefits from the live (ie, A Show of Hands) versions of Mission and Turn The Page.  I got really 'in' to Rush in '89, and with the release of ASOH, both the audio and video got tons of play time.  I also spun the shit out of Chronicles, so Force 10 and Time Stand Still are naturally faves as well (let's disregard the fact that the video of TST exists).

Sadly, it's also hampered by the duds of Open Secrets (sorry, King), and Tai Shan.  Not bad songs by any means, just the least good - which puts it at 11.  On any given day, I could rate this as high as 8th.

But last ... I mean, c'mon.  I get it, TASTESTM and all, but this is surprising.

I'll let my brother know.  He will be disappointed.  :lol

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #693 on: June 12, 2023, 08:07:58 AM »
I reckon I will be on an island with this one, but I think Tai Shan is not nearly as bad as most fans think. No, it's not a standout, but it's an enjoyable song with nice melodies.  When I think of the worst/least best songs the band has ever done, that one doesn't enter the conversation for me.

Agreed. It's perfectly fine.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline 425

« Reply #694 on: June 12, 2023, 08:13:00 AM »

Full thoughts later, after I've had a chance to relisten, but both times I've heard this album before I've gone in very aware of the reputation around Tai Shan, and both times I came away not understanding what the fuss was about. It's probably the weakest song on the album, but it's decent and at worst totally inoffensive, IMO.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensr˙che Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #695 on: June 12, 2023, 08:20:10 AM »
I had Fly By Night at #14, so close with the consensus here.

Yes, I had Hold Your Fire at #19. I'm sorry, but the record holds no redeeming qualities to me. Admittedly, I had to let the synth era of Rush grow on me. And it has. I enjoy Power Windows, Signals, and hell, GuP has two of my favorite all-time Rush tracks in "Distant Early Warning" and "Red Sector A." But Hold Your Fire is just too far. It's like Rush lost its identity on this record, and then beginning with Presto, did the slow claw to find it again. Rush shouldn't be a pop band. I applaud bands who push the envelope. My favorite group, the original lineup of Queensryche, followed in Rush's footsteps with that, and arguably their last record is one most people think is their worst (Hear in the Now Frontier). You can push TOO far. And that's what Rush did with Hold Your Fire, in my opinion. You could nuke it from the catalog, and I'd never miss it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #696 on: June 12, 2023, 09:11:18 AM »
With all due respect, Samsara, I don't see how Hold Your Fire can be classified by any stretch of the imagination.  Listen to those drums! ;) That aside, I will push back on the idea that Rush should not be a pop band. I think any band should be able to be whatever kind of band they want.  I am always in favor of artistic freedom. :)

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #697 on: June 12, 2023, 09:13:49 AM »
I love HYF (my #6) for its qualities and style and it was the last album Rush had released when I became a fan. I saw a lot the ASOH live video at the time, that performance was something kind of magical to watch and I could only dream to see Rush live in Brazil. I love 6 seven songs off the album (the first 3 from each LP side), I like very much Prime Mover (despite those programmed keyboards, something that annoys me a bit at times on PoW and HYF) and High Water (which is really cool, but it seems generally underappreciated) and I think that Second Nature and Tai Shan are OK, besides Tai Shan having that stereotypical, kinda corny, flute at the beginning - I think that helps its bad reputation a lot. As a bonus, many lyrics on the album are truly great!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 10:05:14 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #698 on: June 12, 2023, 09:25:06 AM »
Brace yourself for a whole lotta complaining...:P :lol

12 Hold Your Fire

This is another I love, warts and all.  The sound if it is a bit weird, with it being so high and tinny, and some of the more rocking parts sounding so, as Neil once called it, crash-bangy, so I get why it is a tough one for a lot of fans, but I feel that the songwriting is excellent.  Mission is one of their best songs ever, and most of the rest varies from very good to great.  Geddy once said this album sounded romantic, and I think that's a good description.  For better or worse, there is no other Rush album that sounds like this one.  I ranked this 9th, and I stand by it.

Favorite songs: Mission, Prime Mover, Turn the Page, Open Secrets, Time Stand Still

My only complaint is that 12 is way too high, but I've already complained about that, so....  Force Ten is ok.  Except for the choruses, Time Stand Still is pretty good.  Turn the Page is ok.  The only real standout track is Mission.  The "It's cold comfort" suggestion is chilling.  Ultimately, there's so much dreck on this album, primarily with all of the excessive artificial noise (and one of the worst live albums in my collection, ASOH, didn't help).  I had it at #18.

19  Roll the Bones (14)
18  Hold Your Fire (12)
17  ??
16  Snakes & Arrows (18)
15  ??
14  ??
13  Test for Echo (16)
12  Rush (19)
11  ??
10  ??
9  Caress of Steel (17)
8  Vapor Trails (15)
7  ??
6  Fly by Night (13)
5  ??
4  ??
3  ??
2  ??
1  ??

Offline billboy73

« Reply #699 on: June 12, 2023, 09:31:53 AM »
Catching up from the weekend:

Roll the Bones - I had this one at 13, as it's a pretty decent album.  I really enjoy Bravado, Ghost of a Chance, Where's My Thing, The Big Wheel, and the title track.  I should probably hate the rap section, but it is fun and for some reason, it just works.  I am not as big on Dreamline as many Rush fans.  It's not as bad as Face Up or anything, but I only find it fairly average.  The rest of this album doesn't do a ton for me though. 

Fly By Night - Comes in at 16 for me.  I will mention that I love the cover art on this one.  Anthem is an awesome opener to announce the solidification of the greatest trio in rock history.  Bytor rules!  I like the title track quite a bit, and Beneath, Between... is another highlight.  In the End is a solid closer.  Overall, I big jump from the first album, but the best is still yet to come...

Hold Your Fire - I have this one at 15.  The highs on this album are very high and incredible, but the lows on this album drag it way down in my ranking.  I think Time Stand Still, Force Ten, Lock & Key, and Mission are all really top-notch Rush songs.  Open Secrets and Prime Mover aren't bad either.  The rest I find to be pretty unremarkable.  The last 3 songs are stinky, and I am firmly in the Tai Shan sucks camp.