Author Topic: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#01 revealed!!)  (Read 32130 times)

Offline faizoff

Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#15 featured!)
« Reply #560 on: June 09, 2023, 09:57:01 AM »
I just compared the David Bottrill remix with that of Richard Chycki's One Little Victory, and Richard's is a closer reproduction of the original release, David's sounds very different.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #561 on: June 09, 2023, 09:59:05 AM »
As strong as Kev's stance is on the remix, I'm equally aghast on the other side that anyone could prefer the original.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MrMike

« Reply #562 on: June 09, 2023, 10:01:40 AM »
VT landed at 17 for me.  I've always found it difficult to connect with this album.  I listen to Rush far more for the music than the lyrics and musically I find VT rather pedestrian by Rush standards.  My biggest problem is the absence of Alex guitar solos, which is one of the most important elements of their sound for me.  I remember reading that he thought it would be disrespectful to Neil at that time to play solos, so he didn't.  I was hoping by the time they re-released the album (remix), he would've added some since surely Neil wouldn't have minded by then (and live he did play leads on the songs), but nope.  I never really had huge issues with the original mix and actually thought the original Ceiling Unlimited (my favorite track) was better because the remixed version kinda neutered it.  Anyway, I'm glad the album exists and the songs they did play live sounded good.

And for context and because I didn't answer it before, I saw Rush 11 times over these tours - Power Windows (1), Counterparts (1), TFE (1), VT (1), S&A (1), CA (2), R40 (4).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 10:16:46 AM by MrMike »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #563 on: June 09, 2023, 10:04:17 AM »
As strong as Kev's stance is on the remix, I'm equally aghast on the other side that anyone could prefer the original.

Yeah, the original is a rough listen.  Difficult to get through without ear fatigue.

The remix, on the flip side, is too extreme in a different way.

I feel that the remaster is the best of both worlds as it manages to clean up the loudness enough to make it very listenable, while still retaining the energy and fire of the original.  It's an aggressive album, and you need to be able to feel the aggression in the mix.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #564 on: June 09, 2023, 10:09:57 AM »
I have to be honest, I did not know that there was a remaster distinct from the remix. Everything I have from Presto through Snakes & Arrows came from this box set, so I have the remix. And I didn't know there were many people who didn't like the remix.

I too have the same boxset and am kinda upset they included some generic lyric booklets in lieu of the original ones for each album.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #565 on: June 09, 2023, 10:11:34 AM »
I have a hunch there will be many different opinions on this one...

15 Vapor Trails

Highest Finish: 4 (Mladen)
Lowest Finish: 19 (Dittomist, hefdaddy42, contest_sanity, jjrock88, Glasser, The Realm)

01   ?
02   ?
03   ?
04   ?
05   ?
06   Caress Of Steel
07   ?
08   ?
09   ?
10   Vapor Trails
11   ?
12   ?
13   ?
14   ?
15   ?
16   Test For Echo
17   Snakes & Arrows
18   ?
19   Rush

VT just barely made my Top 10, and I have a fond adoration for this one. It was their newest album when I became a super fan and the CD got a LOT of play during my senior year of high school as I went into college. It's definitely not their best, but definitely not their worst, and was a worthy return for the band after Neil's tragedies. The raw energy and power of this album hit me at a time in life when I could really connect with it emotionally, so I'll always remember how much I loved it. These days it doesn't get much spins but if I'm reaching for latter-day Rush, this is the one I reach for.

As for the whole Original vs Remaster vs Remix, I've listened to and grown accustomed to the Remix but I did get the remaster and thought that was a significant improvement over the original. I should revisit that remaster sometime soon...

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 425

« Reply #566 on: June 09, 2023, 10:16:45 AM »
I have to be honest, I did not know that there was a remaster distinct from the remix. Everything I have from Presto through Snakes & Arrows came from this box set, so I have the remix. And I didn't know there were many people who didn't like the remix.

I too have the same boxset and am kinda upset they included some generic lyric booklets in lieu of the original ones for each album.

I wish they had done that, too. But at the same time, I recognize how great a deal that box set was (I think I paid around $25 for it, which is like $3.50 per album), and am willing to accept that it’s not a premium product.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline faizoff

« Reply #567 on: June 09, 2023, 10:22:04 AM »

I wish they had done that, too. But at the same time, I recognize how great a deal that box set was (I think I paid around $25 for it, which is like $3.50 per album), and am willing to accept that it’s not a premium product.

It was definitely a great deal, I got mine for $18 lol. I think it's also some upgrade on sound, I think it's a remaster not sure.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #568 on: June 09, 2023, 10:37:09 AM »
Although the HDTracks remaster is no doubt a good improvement from the original release, I still think that there's too much guitars and vocals layered on the mix, which still makes the listening experience a little confusing. So that's why I slightly prefer the Bottrill's remix, despite being a bit punchless. I think it have been great if Chycki did the entire VP remix in the spirit he did the 2 tracks on R3.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #569 on: June 09, 2023, 11:24:43 AM »
VT was 11 for me. The album sounds horrendous but the songs are pretty good. I don't think a better mix would've moved the needle for me in terms of rankings.

15   Test For Echo
11   Vapor Trails
6   Rush
5   Caress Of Steel
2   Snakes & Arrows

Offline Kram

« Reply #570 on: June 09, 2023, 11:57:36 AM »
19. Rush
18. Test for Echo
14. Snakes & Arrows
13. Caress of Steel
12. Vapor Trails

The sound is a bit rough for sure, but I think there's a lot of great material here.  This album has aged well for me, and has grown more over time than any other Rush album has for me.  A few years ago I'd probably have ranked this 17th.  Don't think it can get any higher than this though lol..
« Last Edit: June 09, 2023, 03:38:01 PM by Kram »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #571 on: June 09, 2023, 01:51:11 PM »
I would have had this around #12 I suppose (remaster). I do like the heaviness and energy of some of the tracks.

Offline 425

« Reply #572 on: June 09, 2023, 01:56:19 PM »
Okay, now I'm ready to write my full comment on this album. I think today is my third listen to it, with the first having been several years ago and the second having been last week. It's interesting that it came out that this was posted the day after Test for Echo, because this maintains my streak of having listened to TFE recently before every listen to this album. I don't know how much that plus my knowledge of the circumstances around the two albums colors my impression of VT, but this really does feel like a comeback—or even a resurrection.

I don't think this is a perfect album. I'm not necessarily in love with every song (although that, like much of this, could change). And I think the sound is pretty intense even on the remix—I can hardly imagine how I'd find it if it was even hotter. But I think a lot of the songs are there. And I really connect with it on a more personal level. Primarily lyrically, from the perspective of relating to Neil trying to come back from personal tragedy, but I think the music links up with that in a lot of ways.

I think my top two on here so far are Ghost Rider and Ceiling Unlimited. Other high-ranking ones would be How It Is, Freeze and One Little Victory.

I put this one at #8, making it the highest of the ones I wasn't too familiar with going into this process. I don't know whether that would hold up—the ones that I put at 9-12 aren't too far behind it in my current estimation, and it's impossible to be too confident in advance how different albums will grow or diminish over time. But yeah, right now this is up there.

19. Rush
18. Caress of Steel
17. Test for Echo
12. Snakes & Arrows
8. Vapor Trails
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#19 featured!)
« Reply #573 on: June 09, 2023, 02:07:59 PM »
I had Vapor Trails at #13. Not a perfect album by any stretch and easily 4 or 5 songs too long. The thing that jumps out at me with this album is that it has some energy to it. Not every song because there are some snoozers here, but there's an overarching energy to it. Also, Neil's drumming is really strong here to me. He's killing it. And I like a lot of the chances Geddy takes vocally. Alex is invisible to me though.

I love Secret Touch, How It is, and The Stars Look Down, but I really enjoy a handful more.

19 Snakes & Arrows
18 Test For Echo
14 Caress Of Steel
13 Vapor Trails
9 Rush

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lethean

« Reply #574 on: June 09, 2023, 02:44:23 PM »
Vapor Trails was number 5 for me.  Maybe the circumstances do play a role still after all these years because I definitely have some emotions around this album.  But aside from How It Is, I love every song.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #575 on: June 09, 2023, 03:01:26 PM »
Vapor Trails is 11 for me.  I really like a lot of the songs here, even with the hot, ear-fatiguing mix of the original.  I have both the original and the remix, and I still listen to both of them.  I generally prefer the remix though.  This was the first new album that I bought, as I became a fan shortly before it was released.  That makes it somewhat special, but it definitely has quite a few songs that I enjoy.  OLV kicks the album off in a big way.  Earthshine is my favorite song overall, and Ceiling Unlimited, Ghost Rider,  How It Is, Vapor Trail, The Stars Look Down, Sweet Miracle, and Freeze are all great too.  The rest isn't too bad either.  I was just happy that they were an active band again after what had happened to Neil.  I am glad they were able to make a new album, and the result for me is one that I enjoy a good bit.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #576 on: June 09, 2023, 04:29:45 PM »
Vapor Trails was number 19 for me. Maybe it shouldn't have been last but my bottom 5/6 albums are all pretty interchangeable and something had to to end up at 19th. A couple of songs I really like but it is another album I rarely listen to.

Offline 425

« Reply #577 on: June 09, 2023, 05:44:18 PM »
I have to say, preparing for and actually going through this countdown has me more into Rush than I've been in years. I just decided to order the first four live albums, none of which I own (I have the Replay x 3 set of DVDs and consequently the GUP Tour CD, and the R40 Live album).
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #578 on: June 09, 2023, 05:49:30 PM »
Vapor Trails was number 5 for me.  Maybe the circumstances do play a role still after all these years because I definitely have some emotions around this album.  But aside from How It Is, I love every song.
"How It Is" sounds a lot like "Mr. Jones" by Counting Crows. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jammindude

« Reply #579 on: June 09, 2023, 06:03:48 PM »
I had VT at #18.

There are a few gems, but even if you can get past the horrendous recording, there’s really only about a half an albums worth of good songs. This is probably the biggest disappointment in their entire catalog because I had been anticipating this album immensely.

I will say that lyrically it is probably one of Neil’s best albums. Which is probably the factor that bumped it up above their worst album (which is still to come, apparently)  :\
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #580 on: June 09, 2023, 06:05:06 PM »
With a better mix/master, Vapor Trails would probably be about 5 spots higher. The lyrics are good, the songwriting is good (with a few exceptions), and when played live the songs really shine.

19. Rush
18. Snakes & Arrows
16. Vapor Trails
12. Test for Echo
10. Caress of Steel

Which is probably the factor that bumped it up above their worst album (which is still to come, apparently)  :\
I weep for mankind  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Lethean

« Reply #581 on: June 09, 2023, 06:27:12 PM »
Really?  I'll have to listen to Mr. Jones; it's been a long time since I heard it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #582 on: June 09, 2023, 06:48:28 PM »
Just a follow-up to say that my favorites are probably OLV, GR, and Freeze.

Ceiling Unlimited, Peaceable Kingdom and Stars are in the very good category.

Earthshine has a great riff, but might be the only song in their entire catalog that I feel is ruined by the way Geddy’s vocals are recorded. Just grating. I’ve always been very apologetic about his voice. In fact, I usually like his voice even when he’s having an off day in a live setting. But something about the way they recorded his vocals on that song is like nails on a chalkboard.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: June 09, 2023, 06:56:37 PM »
My updated rankings;

19   Rush
16   Snakes & Arrows
15   Caress of Steel
14   Vapor Trails
13   Test for Echo

Just looking now, TFE probably a little high, but the title track is a favourite, cracker song.

VP has its moments but a lot of filler.  GR is also one of my favs.  Such a great atmosphere.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online HOF

« Reply #584 on: June 09, 2023, 07:45:27 PM »

Hmmm, not really but I see what you’re saying. Definitely a bit of that jangly guitar sound. Might even be the same underlying chords on the intros. “Mr. Jones” is a great song off a great album though.

I really like “How It Is.” One of my favorite lyrics on the album for sure (“foot upon the stair, shoulder to the wheel. You can’t tell yourself not to care, you can’t tell yourself how to feel,” gets me every time). I also like the cleaner, more jangly guitar moments. I’m less fond of whatever Alex is doing during the verses that sounds so messy even on the remix. Also don’t love the vocals during the verse. One of those songs that I think is a really good song with a somewhat poor arrangement that lets it down a bit.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #585 on: June 09, 2023, 07:49:59 PM »
I should say that I don't hate How It Is.  I just don't like it too much in comparison to the rest of the album (or their catalogue in general).  I like the verses well enough, and I also like the "foot upon the stair" lyrics.  The chorus is what brings it down for me.

Highlights of the album for me are pretty much all of the other songs.  I'll give Peaceable Kingdom a mention since it doesn't seem to be a favorite; I love that one.  And Freeze.  And Nocturne.  And Out of the Cradle is an awesome closer.... :)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #586 on: June 09, 2023, 07:53:01 PM »
Peaceable Kingdom made the biggest jump for me on the remaster.  I always liked it, but I love it now.  It's pure aggression and raw power, yet the melodies are still there. 

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #587 on: June 09, 2023, 08:18:40 PM »
Peaceable Kingdom made the biggest jump for me on the remaster.  I always liked it, but I love it now.  It's pure aggression and raw power, yet the melodies are still there.
I'm starting to wonder if I've actually heard the remaster. Is it still available anywhere?
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #588 on: June 09, 2023, 08:26:32 PM »
Spotify
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline nick_z

« Reply #589 on: June 09, 2023, 08:40:46 PM »
Getting ready for some travel, so not much time to comment...

Had this at #14, close to consensus. A very different album from Test for Echo (which I had at #13), but the two tend to flip flop in my personal ranking depending on the day  ;)

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #590 on: June 09, 2023, 08:56:48 PM »
Vapor Trails Discussion Drinking Game - Take a shot every time someone abbreviates Vapor Trails as "VP".

Also came back to say that "Freeze" is probably my absolute favorite on the album, followed by "Earthshine", "Secret Touch" and "How It Is". Actually from track six onwards is probably the better part of the album which is usually the opposite for most Rush albums. I still wish they played more of this album live. As I mentioned elsewhere, VT is the only Rush studio album that got less than half of it played live ever, with 6/13. Every other Rush album has had at least half of its tracks played live.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #591 on: June 09, 2023, 09:51:33 PM »
Had a Rush live performance from 2011 playing on YouTube when my 5 year old came by my computer. She said, with the innocence and wonder only a 5 year old can muster "Wow, that's a lot of drums. How can he keep track of all of those drums?"
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#14 featured!)
« Reply #592 on: June 10, 2023, 06:00:36 AM »
Well, today's album will definitely make some happy to see it finally out of the way. :lol

14 Roll the Bones

Highest Finish: 5 (wolfking)
Lowest Finish: 19 (pg1067, jammindude, Stadler, ReaperKK)

I ranked this 12th, which doesn’t really illustrate how much I really do like this album.  The five main songs, the ones all played live by the band, are all great, and while some of the un-played ones have their flaws, like Neurotica having the most boring chorus ever, this is a good and easy listen from start to finish.  Even the lesser songs sound good within the flow of the album.  And Dreamline has to be one of their best openers ever, whether talking about an album or in concert.  I also think this is one of their best album covers.  Good record!

Favorite songs: Dreamline, Ghost of a Chance, Bravado, Roll the Bones, Where's My Thing?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #593 on: June 10, 2023, 06:18:18 AM »
Dead on for me. #14. The 1st tour I went with my future wife and we've seen every tour together from RTB on.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #594 on: June 10, 2023, 06:19:26 AM »
The one song I wish they played live was, The Big Wheel.