Author Topic: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#01 revealed!!)  (Read 33037 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#11 featured!)
« Reply #805 on: June 13, 2023, 06:52:49 PM »
#9 on my list. Presto was the current release when I became a true fan and dove in to them in ‘89. Sadly, I missed the tour, because I was working nights at the time (during my educational sabbatical).

Hot take … I love Superconductor.

Song wise, it’s aged well over the years, as there were a handful of songs I didn’t truly care for much, including the opener.

Gonna spin the remaster that someone here did (I forget) right now.

I did it a while back, I hope you like it.  :tup

I’m not enough of an audiophile to notice all the differences …. And I was multitasking with work shit, but I did enjoy it bigly.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Glasser

« Reply #806 on: June 13, 2023, 07:24:53 PM »
#9 on my list. Presto was the current release when I became a true fan and dove in to them in ‘89. Sadly, I missed the tour, because I was working nights at the time (during my educational sabbatical).

Hot take … I love Superconductor.

Song wise, it’s aged well over the years, as there were a handful of songs I didn’t truly care for much, including the opener.

Gonna spin the remaster that someone here did (I forget) right now.

I did it a while back, I hope you like it.  :tup

I’m not enough of an audiophile to notice all the differences …. And I was multitasking with work shit, but I did enjoy it bigly.
I'll take it!  :heart

Offline jammindude

« Reply #807 on: June 13, 2023, 09:42:32 PM »
I had Presto at #12, so pretty close to the aggregate.

I like this album more and more every time I listen to it. I used to think the back half was a bit lame, but now I find myself really enjoying the word play of Anagram, and the catchiness of Hand Over Fist.

But that first half is wonderful! Never understood any of the criticisms of any of the first 7 tracks. If anything, I think Show Don’t Tell is probably the weakest of the first half of the album. Everything from Chain Lightning thru Presto is absolutely top level Rush. And Superconductor would have been the best of them all if it had been mixed with a bit more punch and been given a little more appropriate pre-chorus. But even as it is, it’s enjoyable.  Then it does admittedly sag a bit (Red Tide is the low point) before it ends with their greatest album closer since La Villa.

Ya. This one probably could have come in a bit higher.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #808 on: June 13, 2023, 09:50:17 PM »
it ends with their greatest album closer since La Villa.

Hmm, I'd say since Natural Science, but that's close enough  :)
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

« Reply #809 on: June 13, 2023, 09:51:18 PM »

:facepalm:

Typed that on the fly and just brain farted. I will concede that my post is in error and you are correct.

Offline HOF

« Reply #810 on: June 13, 2023, 10:03:48 PM »

Typed that on the fly and just brain farted. I will concede that my post is in error and you are correct.

Nah, since Between The Wheels.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #811 on: June 13, 2023, 10:12:49 PM »

Nah, since Between The Wheels.

Love Between the Wheels but like Available Light a bit more. But that did give me room for pause.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Rush studio albums countdown thread!!! (#10 featured!)
« Reply #812 on: June 14, 2023, 05:50:05 AM »
10 Clockwork Angels

Highest Finish: 2 (Samsara)
Lowest Finish: 18 (hefdaddy42, wolfking)

I still maintain that this could have been a top 5 Rush album with a cleaner, better mix rather than the muddy one it got, which makes it a bit of a frustrating listen. If this had a similar mix as Counterparts, for example, this would have been elevated big time.  Too bad, because this was probably their best collection of songs since the 80s, and it deserved a great mix to go along with the songs.  I ranked it 11th, but it’s definitely one of those “what if?” albums for me.  I am still a big fan, but I know I would revisit it more with a better mix.

Favorite songs: Headlong Flight, Clockwork Angeles, The Anarchist, The Garden, Caravan

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: June 14, 2023, 05:54:52 AM »
I really like this one, I had it at #7. It's been a while since I listened to it though, so I can't remember any mix issues.

Such a strong ending to their recording career. I became a fan around this time, so this was their first and also last new album for me.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #814 on: June 14, 2023, 06:41:31 AM »
19. Roll The Bones (19-14=5)
18  Vapor Trails (18-15=3)
17  Clockwork Angels (17-11=6)
16  Rush (19-16=3)
14 Test For Echo (16-14=2)
12 Caress Of Steel (17-12=5)
10 Snakes And Arrows (18-10=8)
7. Fly By Night (13-7=6)
6. Hold Your Fire (12-6=6)
5. Presto. (11-5=6)

BOOTI = 5.

I don't get this album.  Doesn't sound good, not thrilled with the songs, it's long... I'm sure if I gave it time, it'd grow on me, but I haven't and don't know that I will.   

Offline Mladen

« Reply #815 on: June 14, 2023, 07:18:36 AM »
I had it at #6. It's unbelieveable they were able to put out such a brilliant record that late in the career. The title track, Caravan, The Garden, The Anarchist, BU2B, The Wreckers, just a great tune after a great tune. Wish them well is also kind of underrated. The only track I'm not crazy about is Halo effect.

Also, I have to say that I'm thrilled this board ranked Clockwork angels, Presto and Hold your fire over the first three Rush albums. I am so proud of us.  ;D

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #816 on: June 14, 2023, 07:28:40 AM »
I had it at #6. It's unbelieveable they were able to put out such a brilliant record that late in the career. The title track, Caravan, The Garden, The Anarchist, BU2B, The Wreckers, just a great tune after a great tune. Wish them well is also kind of underrated. The only track I'm not crazy about is Halo effect.

Also, I have to say that I'm thrilled this board ranked Clockwork angels, Presto and Hold your fire over the first three Rush albums. I am so proud of us.  ;D

Agreed on all the above.

Reading the book gave me an enhanced appreciation for the album.  #6 for me as well.  I can't be bothered to figure out the J-BOOTI.

19. Caress of Steel
18. Fly By Night
17. Snakes & Arrows
16. Test For Echo
15. Vapor Trails
13. Rush
11. Hold Your Fire
10. Roll The Bones
9. Presto
6. Clockwork Angels

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #817 on: June 14, 2023, 08:00:27 AM »
Taking aside my personal ranking for a second, I just want to say how happy I am that a band's final album, 40 years into their career, could do so well in something like this. There likely aren't as many bands who could do the same.

And the final album has a perfect final track, ending things so nicely. Nice enough that while I gave our wedding band free reign to move around other songs and choose which to do and not do, it was set in stone that The Garden would be the final song of the evening.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #818 on: June 14, 2023, 08:02:12 AM »
Taking aside my personal ranking for a second, I just want to say how happy I am that a band's final album, 40 years into their career, could do so well in something like this. There likely aren't as many bands who could do the same.

And the final album has a perfect final track, ending things so nicely. Nice enough that while I gave our wedding band free reign to move around other songs and choose which to do and not do, it was set in stone that The Garden would be the final song of the evening.

And here I was going to take a shot at "The Garden" as being the most over-rated track in the Rush catalogue.  Now I'm glad I didn't do that.   :) :) :) :)

(In all seriousness, though, while it's not a favorite of mine, I'm glad it brought some joy to you and your family on your special day.  That's what music is supposed to do!)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #819 on: June 14, 2023, 08:05:36 AM »

And the final album has a perfect final track, ending things so nicely.

Totally, but...

It's unbelieveable they were able to put out such a brilliant record that late in the career.

What's unbelievable were how many mediocre albums they released over the last half of their career.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensrÿche Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #820 on: June 14, 2023, 08:17:33 AM »
10 Clockwork Angels

I still maintain that this could have been a top 5 Rush album with a cleaner, better mix rather than the muddy one it got, which makes it a bit of a frustrating listen. If this had a similar mix as Counterparts, for example, this would have been elevated big time.  Too bad, because this was probably their best collection of songs since the 80s, and it deserved a great mix to go along with the songs.  I ranked it 11th, but it’s definitely one of those “what if?” albums for me.  I am still a big fan, but I know I would revisit it more with a better mix.

Favorite songs: Headlong Flight, Clockwork Angeles, The Anarchist, The Garden, Caravan

Wow, I didn't realize I liked this one more than the majority here at DTF. For me, Clockwork Angels being placed so high is about the feeling the record gives me. Have they done better songs and albums? Of course. Records that are mixed better and sound better? Absolutely. But there is this intangible about Clockwork Angels that is hard to put into words. When I listen to it, I hear a band revisiting its career in a tale that is exciting, heavy, melancholy, frustrated, and joyful, all wrapped up into one. And The Garden leaves me with a feeling of wistfulness to relive the journey again. I don't care about the concept. But the feeling the music and melodies throughout it are the most impactful to me, in my soul. To me, Rush left us with a perfect piece of music, vibe-wise.

I understand all the pointed critiques of certain aspects of Clockwork Angels. But they aren't important to me. What's important is that feeling you get from a musical journey and what it says to you. And for that reason, Clockwork Angels is my second favorite Rush album.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: June 14, 2023, 08:20:48 AM »
^^^ Might as well publish the next album on the list, because that's all that really needs to be said, right there.  (I'm being sincere.)

Offline HOF

« Reply #822 on: June 14, 2023, 08:23:35 AM »
I had this one ranked at 16, based more on how I feel when I think of it than when I listen to it. I’m kind of like Stadler, it’s sort of a chore to get through and I have just rarely gone back to it since it came out.  The mix is awful, there are too many sludgy bits, and Geddy’s voice was ready to retire. But usually when I do listen to it I find myself enjoying a lot of it. It probably could find itself 3-4 spots higher the next time I rank the Rush albums.

Part of the issue is the story doesn’t mean anything. Guy goes off to see the world, gets robbed and left for dead, than decides to wish everyone well. I’m sure there’s more to it, but none of it is all that apparent in the lyrics.

That said, I do enjoy Caravan (which has some Presto vibes with the funky bass parts), the title track is great aside from the old-timy microphone/telephone part, and I like Halo Effect, Wish Them Well, and The Garden a good bit as well. It’s all the in between stuff that is kind of swamped by the mix (The BUTB tracks are easily some of my least favorites by Rush).

I would definitely be interested to hear a good remix of this one, as I think there are more parts I would enjoy and the songs I do like would be enhanced. I do also appreciate that there is a strong energy here given the band were 40 years in and ready to retire. And they went out on a high note with The Garden.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: June 14, 2023, 08:27:28 AM »
The Garden is one of Alex's best solo's, and maybe my favorite of his.  So much emotion packed into it - it's brought me to tears on more than one occasion.  And the song/story/lyrics are (imo) the perfect punctuation to end their studio career.

Dat chorus.   :heart  :'( <seems that emote code is broke

Bill, but I would've thought The Garden would've resonated with you... given your 'tend your own garden' outlook on life.  That's not a 'dis' whatsoever, just articulating my surprise that you think the song is over-rated.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #824 on: June 14, 2023, 08:28:19 AM »
I had Clockwork Angels at #12.

I don't find myself going back to it nearly as much as I should. It's kind of hard to judge how it's aging. It's a little bittersweet. First, it's their last album, and it's an excellent album. It's cohesive, consistent, and connected. I feel like the band is actually pushing the envelope a bit with their performance. It's the first time since Moving Pictures where I thought, Now THIS is a Rush album.
The second reason it's bittersweet is what I alluded to above. If they could come up with this, why were we stuck with the whole RTB through S&A run? That's almost 25 years of....nothing.

19   Snakes & Arrows
18   Test for Echo
17   Hold Your Fire
15   Roll the Bones
14   Caress of Steel
13   Vapor Trails
12   Clockwork Angels
9   Rush
8   Fly by Night
7   Presto

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #825 on: June 14, 2023, 08:52:15 AM »
I think CA (my #12) has stronger individual songs than VP, like Caravan, Headlong Flight, BU2B and The Wreckers, and, no doubt, it's indeed audible the band making an extra effort in the instrumental sections this time. But I also think the muffled production really sucks a lot of the energy of the album and the more proeminent 60's influence on some songs like CA, Wish Than Well (amazing solo/instrumental section, by the way) and even in the album as whole, it's not really my preference. So I still prefer VP over CA (by a hair), despite a lot of qualities of the latter.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #826 on: June 14, 2023, 09:00:14 AM »
10 Clockwork Angels

01   ?
02   ?
03   ?
04   ?
05   ?
06   Caress Of Steel
07   ?
08   ?
09   Fly By Night
10   Vapor Trails
11   Clockwork Angels
12   ?
13   ?
14   Hold Your Fire
15   Presto
16   Test For Echo
17   Snakes & Arrows
18   Roll The Bones
19   Rush

Hmm another wide spread between highest and lowest finishes! I had CA at 11th, so pretty close to the final standing. I absolutely adored this album when it came out, and while I still enjoy it, I don't spin it as much, and I don't know if it'll ever break my Rush Top 10, but it'll get close. It is definitely a very good way for them to close out their career, whether they knew it at the time or not.

Also, because GUP wasn't 10th, we've now broken the pattern of every other album placing in its release order.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #827 on: June 14, 2023, 09:08:36 AM »
It's unbelieveable they were able to put out such a brilliant record that late in the career.

What's unbelievable were how many mediocre albums they released over the last half of their career.
Ooh, I love the later day Rush albums. Some of their stuff from their last thirty years is as dear to me as their 70s records.  :heart
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 09:32:29 AM by Mladen »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #828 on: June 14, 2023, 09:12:14 AM »

Ooh, I love the later day Rush albums. Some of their stuff from their last thirty years are as dear to me as their 70s records.  :heart

:tup

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #829 on: June 14, 2023, 09:25:03 AM »

And the final album has a perfect final track, ending things so nicely.

I had this exact thought while listening to the track a few days ago. Perfect way to go out on their discography.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #830 on: June 14, 2023, 09:37:46 AM »
10 Clockwork Angels

This is an album with three strong songs and a bunch of "meh" songs, ending with the most bafflingly overrated song in the catalog.  It didn't help the album that two of the three best songs got released WELL in advance of the album such that they had their own existence separate from the album.  And the concept/story has never resonated in any way with me.  Caravan, BU2B and Headlong Flight made my top 51 when we did the Rush song countdown.  Nothing else from the album came in higher than 111.  My ranking:  17.

19  Roll the Bones (14 - 5)
18  Hold Your Fire (12 - 6)
17  Clockwork Angels (10 - 7)
16  Snakes & Arrows (18 - 2)
15  ??
14  ??
13  Test for Echo (16 - 3)
12  Rush (19 - 7)
11  Presto (11 - 0)
10  ??
9  Caress of Steel (17 - 8)
8  Vapor Trails (15 - 7)
7  ??
6  Fly by Night (13 - 7)
5  ??
4  ??
3  ??
2  ??
1  ??

Current POOTI:  52 (avg. 5.200)

I don't get this album.  Doesn't sound good, not thrilled with the songs, it's long... I'm sure if I gave it time, it'd grow on me, but I haven't and don't know that I will.   

All of this, except that I gave the album a lot of my time already.  I do a full run through Rush's catalog pretty regularly.  Getting through this one is a slog.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline MrMike

« Reply #831 on: June 14, 2023, 09:38:49 AM »
Clockwork Angels landed at 12 for me.  Definitely a step back towards the Rush style I love and their best since Counterparts.  As already mentioned, the mix is its greatest fault.  Before the full release, they put out a single with Caravan/BU2B and it was SO much better and cleaner sounding.  Why they thought that Nick R guy did a good job with the full album is beyond me.  Caravan remains my favorite track, just love that classic sounding instrumental breakdown in the middle.  Carnies is another, love how it's both heavy and melodic and it slayed live.  Headlong Flight is a solid rocker which could have been even better with some editing; it becomes too repetitive by the end.  I'm not a ballad guy, so don't love The Garden as much as many do.  But it is a nice sentimental song and fitting close to their career, I suppose.  It's unfortunate this was the last one as I'd loved to have seen where they went next.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #832 on: June 14, 2023, 09:48:10 AM »
Clockwork Angels rounds out my top 5.  Not sure I really understand people complaining about the muddy nature of the mix.  I've listened to it on a variety of systems, from shitty earbuds and built in laptop speakers to the control room monitors in the studio here at Sweetwater, and it sounds perfectly fine to me, and I can hear all of the details in the music. 

Anyway, Clockwork Angels is, in my mind, the definitive example of how a band should wind up its career.  They put a ton of effort into it, and it shows.  I don't listen to it as much as when it came out, but when I do, I'm instantly reminded of its greatness.  Hell, I was listening to it while mowing the lawn not too long ago, and The Garden got me all choked up.  I promise it wasn't my allergies!  That song also holds a special place for me, as my Dad and Neil Peart were born within a few weeks of each other, and ended up passing due to cancer within a few weeks of each other.  The measure of their lives and their impact on me is considerable.

19. Rush
18. Caress of Steel
17. Roll the Bones
16. Snakes & Arrows
14. Vapor Trails
13. Fly By Night
12. Test For Echo
10. Hold Your Fire
5. Clockwork Angels
4. Presto
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #833 on: June 14, 2023, 09:50:00 AM »
# 18 for me.  *shrugs*

The Garden is indeed very nice, but the album as a whole?  I would generally rather listen to almost any other Rush album most of the time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline billboy73

« Reply #834 on: June 14, 2023, 09:54:48 AM »
Presto - I have it at 12.  Yes, the thin production definitely has a negative effect on my ranking, but I think there are some great songs here.  Show Don't Tell is a great opener, and a song I wish they would have brought back on the later tours.  The Pass is a highlight for me. The first half of the album is very good (1st 6 songs), but the back half is a little spotty.  The chorus on Supereconductor definitely bugs me, and Red Tide and Hand Over Fist don't do much either.  However, Anagram is decent, and Available Light is another solid album closer.  I ranked this one just above Roll the Bones, as I slightly prefer it.  If you took the best of Presto and Roll the Bones, you would have one hell of an album that would probably be top 5.

Clockwork Angels - It was also my # 10.  It's the highest ranked of the post Test for Echo material.  I am not big on the concept, but I think they came back strong to close out their studio albums.  The album does flow really well, and they cover a lot of ground musically.  The material here is pretty strong.  I wouldn't put anything in my Rush top 25, but I don't find anything here that I really don't like.  The highlights for me are Caravan, the title track, the Anarchist, Halo Effect, and Headlong Flight.  Also, special shoutout to The Garden as another great album closer, and a fitting way to end their recording career.  I don't think it as quite as good as Fading Lights by Genesis (Calling All Stations without Collins doesn't count  ;)), but it is still pretty solid.  Overall, an enjoyable album that I still revisit a good bit. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #835 on: June 14, 2023, 09:55:47 AM »
I just listened to the album. Hand over fist is fantastic and easily one of the highlights. I love the beat, the riffs, the major keys and the key changes. The lyrics are also fun. I adore that song.  :tup

When we did the Rush song countdown, Hand over Fist came in at 165 out of 166 songs (beating out only BU2B2).  There are Rush songs I don't care for and some I find boring, but I think HoF is the only one that I could legitimately say I hate.
I forgot to respond to this. I recall a Rush survivor ten years ago where Hand over fist ended up in the consolation round, which Marc might remember. Some people were surprised by that, but I wasn't sure why. To this day, I don't see what's to hate about Hand over fist. I honestly don't hear anything wrong with it. It was the second worst Rush song in the countdown?  :omg:

However, I do somewhat agree with your post above regarding Caravan and BU2B. When the album dropped, I remember thinking those two tracks are actually the best ones on the record. That's still almost the case, although there are many other songs I nowadays love pretty much equally.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #836 on: June 14, 2023, 09:58:50 AM »
I just listened to the album. Hand over fist is fantastic and easily one of the highlights. I love the beat, the riffs, the major keys and the key changes. The lyrics are also fun. I adore that song.  :tup

When we did the Rush song countdown, Hand over Fist came in at 165 out of 166 songs (beating out only BU2B2).  There are Rush songs I don't care for and some I find boring, but I think HoF is the only one that I could legitimately say I hate.
I forgot to respond to this. I recall a Rush survivor ten years ago where Hand over fist ended up in the consolation round, which Marc might remember. Some people were surprised by that, but I wasn't sure why. To this day, I don't see what's to hate about Hand over fist. I honestly don't hear anything wrong with it. It was the second worst Rush song in the countdown?  :omg:

However, I do somewhat agree with your post above regarding Caravan and BU2B. When the album dropped, I remember thinking those two tracks are actually the best ones on the record. That's still almost the case, although there are many other songs I nowadays love pretty much equally.

Since it wasn't clear from my post, that's how I ranked the song (it's the only countdown so far where I ranked every song in the catalog).  It wasn't the overall ranking.  I'll go back and check the countdown thread and see where the consensus had it (assuming Kev posted the full rankings and not just the top 75).

EDIT:  In the overall countdown, Hand over Fist came in at #120:  https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=57248.msg2872086#msg2872086
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #837 on: June 14, 2023, 10:00:10 AM »
Clockwork Angels rounds out my top 5.  Not sure I really understand people complaining about the muddy nature of the mix.  I've listened to it on a variety of systems, from shitty earbuds and built in laptop speakers to the control room monitors in the studio here at Sweetwater, and it sounds perfectly fine to me, and I can hear all of the details in the music. 

I didn't notice it too much at first, but I remember being at a friend's years ago who has a super duper stereo system.  He had Rush on shuffle (songs from all albums), and I remember The Anarchist coming on and noticing how much worse it sounded (from a production and mixing standpoint) than songs we had just heard (I think the prior songs were from Signals and Permanent Waves). 

That said, I still am a big fan of the album, and agree with the sentiment that it was a great album for the band to go out on. I just wish it sounded better.

Offline 425

« Reply #838 on: June 14, 2023, 10:11:49 AM »
I'll comment on the album itself after I relisten, but on the issue of the mix: I agree that it's not good and I think it's the album's greatest weakness.

I'm curious if those who have the Clockwork Angels Tour live album could comment on the quality of the performance and the sound there. Since it has the full CA album, it could serve as an alternate version for those who struggle with the mix—if it's good.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Lethean

« Reply #839 on: June 14, 2023, 10:30:47 AM »
#12 for me, but I feel like it should have been higher.  I don't care for Wish Them Well, but the rest of the album is great.  The Anarchist might be my favorite track on the album, aside from The Garden which I kind of put in its own special category.  Definitely the perfect song for them to go out with.